The Goldbergs

Hozz

Might be a thread for this show since its so old but I didn't see one with a casual search.  We got Hulu recently and they have 9 seasons of this show with no ads.  I was not expecting much as I despite virtually all broadcast television sitcoms but I'll be damned if this show is not funny as fuck.  I think it probably helps that I was age 7-16 during the 80s.  Also I love Jeff Garland from Curb and he is pretty good here too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Might be a thread for this show since its so old but I didn't see one with a casual search.  We got Hulu recently and they have 9 seasons of this show with no ads.  I was not expecting much as I despite virtually all broadcast television sitcoms but I'll be damned if this show is not funny as fuck.  I think it probably helps that I was age 7-16 during the 80s.  Also I love Jeff Garland from Curb and he is pretty good here too.

Big fan. I watched the first 5 or 6 seasons and haven’t seen any since then. Will definitely catch up sometime on the later seasons. 
my 9 year old basically is “Big Tasty” to my chagrin. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

I got bad news, Garlin got fired from The Goldbergs for being a gross perv on set.  Either he filmed scenes for this last season alone and it’s been his stand in from behind 

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I got bad news, Garlin got fired from The Goldbergs for being a gross perv on set.  Either he filmed scenes for this last season alone and it’s been his stand in from behind 

It all came out at they were finishing filming, so most of it’s Garlin.

Edited by Deej

Really enjoyed the show as I Hulu-ed the first couple seasons. A lot of it was based on nostalgia, or the writer's real life stories. Over time, you run out of those funny stories and nostalgia gets stale. Plus kids grow up and the dynamic doesn't work.

I will always be willing to admire the sister's legs though.

I grew up in the 80’s. I wanted to like this show but it doesn’t resonate with me at all. I can relate to Fast Times. I can relate to Freaks and Geeks. The Goldbergs seems like an 80’s version of That 70’s Show. Like it’s a caricature of the era. I can’t identify with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I grew up in the 80’s. I wanted to like this show but it doesn’t resonate with me at all. I can relate to Fast Times. I can relate to Freaks and Geeks. The Goldbergs seems like an 80’s version of That 70’s Show. Like it’s a caricature of the era. I can’t identify with it. 

Grew up in the 80s as well.  It's not terrible, but I feel like Stranger Things nailed a lot of the 80s vibe, but it wasn't trying to be about the 80s, it was just a conspiracy/mystery thriller set in the 80s.

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Love the show. It's funny and sweet. The sister (that didn't actually exist irl) is from Grand Prairie. George Segal was perfect as Pops.

Between losing Segal and Carlin and Adam going to college, feels like a good time to end this show. It’s getting less fun since Adam isn’t the nerdy pre-teen anymore.  He’s popular, was dating someone attractive and is off to film school. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Between losing Segal and Carlin and Adam going to college, feels like a good time to end this show. It’s getting less fun since Adam isn’t the nerdy pre-teen anymore.  He’s popular, was dating someone attractive and is off to film school. 

I agree. Had hopes for the Schooled spinoff, but looks like it's dead. I like the little universe they built.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, tchookem said:

Over time, you run out of those funny stories

I have a loose connection to Adam Goldberg. From everything I've heard about his family, there are plenty more hilarious stories -- and some of the funniest weren't appropriate for network television.

Barry is the best. Our whole family really enjoyed the show, but it started to slide when Erica went off to college.