Night Sky - May 20, Amazon Prime (series), Sissy Spacek, J.K. Simmons, Sci-Fi

atomheartbevo

• 4 weeks later...

We're three episodes in and really enjoying it. 

I generally have a pretty low threshold of tolerance for Sissy Spacek (not sure if it's her personality or just the types of roles she's typically cast in, or more likely both), but I don't have my usual objection to her here. 

But after three episodes, I have a pretty fundamental question about a plot development:

Spoiler

Why doesn't Sissy's character just come clean to We've Seen A Thing Or Two about where she found Jude or whatever the fuck his name is? I get that maybe she doesn't want to tell him that she opened the door without him, but if they have the strong kind of relationship that we're to believe that they have, I feel like honesty would be a lot more straightforward (and about a fairly important topic) rather than going through all of the usual "sitcom misunderstanding" kind of bullshit. 

Is there something that I'm overlooking? Is this just some kind of Ozark-level plot hole that we're just supposed to ignore? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Finished all eight episodes. 

Meh. Way too much plodding and/or redundant "exposition" on the trials and tribulations of unremarkable old people, and not nearly enough backstory on the remarkable elements of the story. 

Needed closer to a 50/50 portal vs. pathos split, but it felt like 85-90% pathos. 

And I definitely reached and exceeded my Spacek quotient by the end. All the whiny, hectoring, pleading, lecturing whispertalking that you could ever tolerate... 

It's not terrible, but it's frustrating. I will probably end up watching whatever comes out later on (not sure if that's S2 or just S1E9+, and with the pace of the show, it's a distinction without difference regardless) simply because Mrs. Doom liked it quite a bit more than I did. If left to decide myself, I think the likelihood of sticking with it would depend almost entirely on what else is available at the time. 

3.5/5

• 5 weeks later...

Finally made it through all 8 episodes.  I like the premise, just not sure on the speed of development. Would likely watch a season 2.

Spoiler

Trying to figure out the "we've got this cool tech to teleport between locations" crap and.. yeah we're going to need to you hang out in a Newark junk yard for the rest of your life take though...   I feel like there obviously is a whole lot more to the premise.. I'm just not convinced they have written it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Amazon just cancelled the series... Can't say I'm surprised but had hoped it got a season 2 to try and develop of what was a good premise

Well, they certainly had a chance to do just that, but then they decided to remake On Golden Pond instead. 

• Haha 1