wc day 11 :: marcus the psychic pig

Hagbard Celine

7 minutes ago, Monster said:

Has any team ever just played through all contact?  Like, a coach says, 'this match, maybe we don't fall to the ground unless we actually lose our balance...this match, we just keep playing through contact'.  

I feel like a team with that approach (if equally matched talentwise) would dominate.  If nothing else, it'd surprise the other team who expects them to flop.

It's frustrating, but then if you look at the percentage of goals scored off set pieces, which while not the majority are a very substantial percentage when you consider that the time spent on set pieces in a match probably accounts for no more than 5% of the match (and most of that is spent just lining it up) I think it drives the mindset.  Plus yellow cards put pressure on a player to loosen up his defense to avoid a second in the match, and in a tournament like this an accumulation issue.

Seems like there is a pretty big incentive built into the game to flopping and until they get really serious about making simulation an issue (and it's subjective so like pass interference in football a lot of times it is going to get argued to death) it isn't going to stop.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

that would be the US National Team, who never get the call, and who have learned that it's pointless to flop.  the brutal assaults the nats endured in the late '90s and early '00s especially on the road (in los angeles, new york, houston, dallas and central america) would have seen the opposition down to 3 or 4 men anywhere else in the world.

Maybe VAR will help that a little.  Sounds like more penalty kicks in this world cup, than any before, so maybe VAR will change the game...make 'faking out the ref' less effective.  

edit:spelling

Edited by Monster

4 minutes ago, Monster said:

Maybe VAR will help that a little.  Sounds like more penalties kicks in this world cup, than any before, so maybe VAR will change the game...make 'faking out the ref' less effective.  

excellent point.  i know this: Gregg Berhalter doesn't grow a 3rd arm on his forehead at Saprissa in 2001 with VAR.

2 minutes ago, Monster said:

Columbia looks like the superior team so far.  Or their strikers look more dangerous anyway.

Colombia have traveled in force.  They want a shot at revenge against Brazil.  I actually hope this ends drawn so the entire group is in play on Thursday.  That said Senegal/Colombia looks to be incendiary.

30 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's frustrating, but then if you look at the percentage of goals scored off set pieces, which while not the majority are a very substantial percentage when you consider that the time spent on set pieces in a match probably accounts for no more than 5% of the match (and most of that is spent just lining it up) I think it drives the mindset.  Plus yellow cards put pressure on a player to loosen up his defense to avoid a second in the match, and in a tournament like this an accumulation issue.

Seems like there is a pretty big incentive built into the game to flopping and until they get really serious about making simulation an issue (and it's subjective so like pass interference in football a lot of times it is going to get argued to death) it isn't going to stop.  

I don't have as much of a problem with flopping strategically to win a free kick or penalty.  It's a strategy to win the game.  It's not the most admirable thing to do, but it is strategy.

What I can't stand is that with every possible foul, players instantly grimace and clutch various body parts.  95% of the time we know they're not really injured.  They know they're not injured. They're elite athletes capable of playing through pain but almost every time they go down with a facial expression like they're giving birth.  I absolutely love soccer and the World Cup but this is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts.

And the problem is it happens so routinely that it's literally programmed into players as they develop.  Get hit hard = fall down and make a pained facial expression.  So annoying.

• Like 2

Just now, LonghornSean said:

I don't have as much of a problem with flopping strategically to win a free kick or penalty.  It's a strategy to win the game.  It's not the most admirable thing to do, but it is strategy.

What I can't stand is that with every possible foul, players instantly grimace and clutch various body parts.  95% of the time we know they're not really injured.  They know they're not injured. They're elite athletes capable of playing through pain but almost every time they go down with a facial expression like they're giving birth.  I absolutely love soccer and the World Cup but this is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts.

And the problem is it happens so routinely that it's literally programmed into players as they develop.  Get hit hard = fall down and make a pained facial expression.  So annoying.

Agree, but it's part of the "sales" job.  If you REALLY want to make sure you draw that foul to get that set piece, draw that booking, etc....make it look "good" . It sucks and should be punished...but it isn't. 

38 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Agreed.  Its not the flopping, so much as the committed LYING about it.    Flop away if you want...you risk getting left behind by the play.  But laying on the field and waiting for medical attention when everyone in the world knows you didn't even get touched is bad for the game.  I did see a team, can't remember who it was, use the old magic spray on a shin guard a couple days ago.  Pretty hilarious, really.   What could you possibly be spraying on his shin guard?

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

Agreed.  Its not the flopping, so much as the committed LYING about it.    Flop away if you want...you risk getting left behind by the play.  But laying on the field and waiting for medical attention when everyone in the world knows you didn't even get touched is bad for the game.  I did see a team, can't remember who it was, use the old magic spray on a shin guard a couple days ago.  Pretty hilarious, really.   What could you possibly be spraying on his shin guard?

yes... I saw that game. I told my kids about the magic shin guard spray this morning, so they were waiting to see some.
  • Like 1