Great Directors that made a shitty movie or two

Bash Riprock

58 minutes ago, fellside said:

Every director's career has a high point that ends followed by disappointments.  They know it as well.  It's why Tarantino says he wants to walk away eventually. And hes still made some bad ones.

This thread really includes every director of the modern era.

As for PTA, personally I'd like him to rediscover humor.

Tarantino has not made a shitty movie yet.  Shitty is the key word.  Maybe you didn't like them all or they all weren't great, but there's not a shitty unwatchable one in the bunch.  Hateful 8 was probably as close as he came.  

22 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Tarantino has not made a shitty movie yet.  Shitty is the key word.  Maybe you didn't like them all or they all weren't great, but there's not a shitty unwatchable one in the bunch.  Hateful 8 was probably as close as he came.  

Four Rooms sucked but he only owns 25% of it..... 

Rob Reiner has made a bunch of crap since but North is a real black mark on what was otherwise one of the best 12 year runs any director has ever put up:

This is Spinal Tao
The Sure Thing
Stand By Me
The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
Misery
A Few Good Men
The American President
Ghosts of Mississippi

9 hours ago, fellside said:

Every director's career has a high point that ends followed by disappointments.  They know it as well.  It's why Tarantino says he wants to walk away eventually. And hes still made some bad ones.

This thread really includes every director of the modern era.

As for PTA, personally I'd like him to rediscover humor.

I'd settle for him discovering endings

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

The thread specifically asks for great directors for which Tarantino does not qualify

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

dunkirk was fucking badass.

id like to include wes anderson in this list, because everything after steve zissou (or maybe tenenbaums) was hit or miss.  or maybe it just came to prove he is incredibly overrated.  

I'll admit to not liking the lead kid actors in Moonrise but I'm going to have to disagree with this.

I'm still pissed that Annie was one of John Huston's last movies.  Not a horrible movie.  It does an adequate job of being a kids' musical.  But it's John fucking Huston: The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Key Largo, African Queen, The Misfits, Prizzi's Honor, and...Annie???

• Like 1

Probably unpopular, but I'd put M Night Shyamalan at 6-3-1 if you start with The Sixth Sense.

Wins:
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
The Visit
Split

Draw:
The Lady in the Water

Losses:
The Happening
The Last Airbender (the only one I haven't seen, and I've heard I shouldn't)
After Earth

I'm hoping he puts another one in the Win column with Glass. When he's good he's pretty good, and he's signaled a return to form recently.

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

If you weren't a fan of the series, it was merely a mediocre film.  But most fans of the series hated it with a burning passion. 

38 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Probably unpopular, but I'd put M Night Shyamalan at 6-3-1 if you start with The Sixth Sense.

Wins:
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
The Visit
Split

Draw:
The Lady in the Water

Losses:
The Happening
After Earth

I'm hoping he puts another one in the Win column with Glass. When he's good he's pretty good, and he's signaled a return to form recently.

I'd put The Village as a draw and Lady in the Water as a loss, but I agree with you last point he's trending up.

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'd put The Village as a draw and Lady in the Water as a loss, but I agree with you last point he's trending up.

Both of those are on their respective bubbles for sure.

If you (not you specifically) haven't seen Split then you need to go see it and not let anyone tell you anything about it.