Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

oh shit.  Yeah, post some pics. 
Last time I saw something like that, the San Onofre Nuke plant was being refurbished.  The biggest fucking lowbed I ever saw was coming down the 5, with two bigass tractors pushing from the back.   

I have no idea what was on that trailer, but it was large, and heavy. 

Probably the steam generators that they fucked up.

This bad bitch was hauling out a winch for me today. Will have some 9 and 13 axle loads coming out in coming days, but not sure I’ll be out there. The entire crane takes 167 truck loads in this configuration. Even the counterweights are annual permits. Every. Single. Damn. Load.

ea4532e2b45c162c75feef9ab4179a20.jpg

b1322a08d17af421e1e7108e07f4ae13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This bad bitch was hauling out a winch for me today. Will have some 9 and 13 axle loads coming out in coming days, but not sure I’ll be out there. The entire crane takes 167 truck loads in this configuration. Even the counterweights are annual permits. Every. Single. Damn. Load.

ea4532e2b45c162c75feef9ab4179a20.jpg

b1322a08d17af421e1e7108e07f4ae13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What site are you on? Those are some big lifts.

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Or rebar

heh.  One time my dad came back with a flat drive tire.   Since I was the unpaid "tireman", I started fixing the flat.  Found a big fucking bolt in the tire. 

The next day the old man felt a vibration, looked around, and discovered a missing motor mount bolt.

Yeah, it was the one from the tire. 

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

what's the deal with the spread between axles on the trailer.

You can haul 20K per axle spread vs 34K tandem. More payload, better weight distribution.

tractor_trailer_axles.gif

A standard trailer can haul 12k lbs on the steer axle, 34k lbs on the drive axles, and 34k lbs on the tandem axles. For a total of 80k lbs if the load is positioned exactly right.

tractor_trailer_spread.gif

A spread axle trailer can haul 12k lbs on the steer axle, 34k lbs on the drive axles, and 40k lbs on the spread axles (or 20k lbs each axle). Although the total for this axle configuration is 86k lbs, you are still only allowed a total of 80k lbs gross.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

Over the past few years, I'm starting to see a lot of 4 axle dump trucks.  We used to call them "10 wheelers" but now they have more wheels than that.   I've heard them referred to as "super 10's".   Sometimes the third axle is in front of the drive axle, and it's single tires instead of duals.   They are air-operated or hydraulic, and are only lowered when needed.   Sometimes they are on big arms and trail the drive axles, and again, only lowered when needed.  

Dump-Trucks-Freightliner-122SD-10903965.

trailing-axle-bkgd2.jpg

as someone already said hauling that single rail now we know why the high speed rail cost so much (although with those wooden ties I doubt that was for the high speed rail, but probably still some other over priced government project)

I think I told this story before in the old thread about dumb shit you see while trucking

a relative by marriage drove a truck forever and one contract he had they would haul graham crackers from Georgia to somewhere in Oregon (or Washington) where they would crush the crackers and make pie crust with them and then the back load to Georgia was the pie crust

of course one would think why not make the crust right there in Georgia or the crackers in Oregon.....well they tried that and found that the ride on the truck to Oregon helped make the crackers better for making the crust so they just kept doing it that way shipping shit back and forth

you need to get in the steel coil hailing business 🤠

Edited by ButtFumble

14 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

as someone already said hauling that single rail now we know why the high speed rail cost so much (although with those wooden ties I doubt that was for the high speed rail, but probably still some other over priced government project)

I think I told this story before in the old thread about dumb shit you see while trucking

a relative by marriage drove a truck forever and one contract he had they would haul graham crackers from Georgia to somewhere in Oregon (or Washington) where they would crush the crackers and make pie crust with them and then the back load to Georgia was the pie crust

of course one would think why not make the crust right there in Georgia or the crackers in Oregon.....well they tried that and found that the ride on the truck to Oregon helped make the crackers better for making the crust so they just kept doing it that way shipping shit back and forth

you need to get in the steel coil hailing business 🤠

my GF is of Danish ancestry.   Her mom is from Copenhagen.  So, they drink this horrible shit called Aquavit at christmastime.   Shit's awful.  

So, the story goes that the Scandinavians loaded a bunch of barrels of this shit on a ship centuries ago, and sent is somewhere.  Whoever was set to receive it came to their senses and refused delivery, so the ship sailed back to port with the original load.  Total time at sea was like six months or something.  So, when the ship returns to port with the unsold booze, the original distiller takes it back into inventory.  But soon it's discovered that it tastes much better after the journey than it would have when shipped. So , they come to the conclusion that this swill needs to be bounced around on a boat for 6 months to properly age.

Still tastes like ass.   Actually it doesn't.  I much prefer the taste of my GF's ass to the taste of aquivit.

Edited by Gil Bang

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Over the past few years, I'm starting to see a lot of 4 axle dump trucks.  We used to call them "10 wheelers" but now they have more wheels than that.   I've heard them referred to as "super 10's".   Sometimes the third axle is in front of the drive axle, and it's single tires instead of duals.   They are air-operated or hydraulic, and are only lowered when needed.   Sometimes they are on big arms and trail the drive axles, and again, only lowered when needed.  

Dump-Trucks-Freightliner-122SD-10903965.

trailing-axle-bkgd2.jpg

I saw these in Houston in the mid 90's. A variation of what cement mixers use with added smaller axles under the rig. The pic above has one mid-axle, most I've seen have 3 like this.

10-peterbilt-super-dump-3993.jpg

Just mathematically assaulting the weight/bridge laws. Now I'm seeing a small fleet of them hauling rock from Bridgeport to DFW for Sunset Trucking. They can also get a yearly overload permit to haul 84,000 on any road without a load zone bridge for $50.

33 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So , they come to the conclusion that this swill needs to be bounced around on a boat for 6 months to properly age.

While Aquavit is shit, the concept is solid.

jefferson-s-ocean-voyage-16_1.jpg

They do it with port (wine) too. The constant movement gives maximum exposure of wood to spirit. With controlled climate cycles (heat/cold/heat/cold) you can accelerate the aging process like a microwave.

Edited by RPM

As crazy as those bobtails look, they got nothing on Michigan dump trucks. 11 axles, 164k. They used to have 13. Half the truck would be running 40 mph at a stop light on uneven pavement. (Trick question, all the pavement is uneven)

Picture012.jpg

0c8b529663e4c7e24744a36e6f04c07b.jpg

c9a3e319413da676557986e845cbdb33.jpg

what happened to the days when trucks (and I think more so trailers) had to have license plates that had about 30 spots on them to put the various registration stickers of the states it operated in
like this
9233148.jpg

Bingo cards!!

You used to have to file your fuel tax in each individual state you ran in, now IFTA overs all of that.
I still had to buy a separate fuel permit for Oregon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fuel_Tax_Agreement

Totally OT....Visited my good friends uncle's farm in Norway. Took us on a 3 hour tour of the property. Had bottles of Aquavit (water of life) stashed everywhere! Hay stacks, watering troughs, tool sheds, everywhere. We were waxed by the time we got back to the house. That stuff dehydrates you like no other booze.

Another shit load. I mean pallets on a flatbed? I feel like a door swinger that’s too dumb to swing doors. Good thing it paid good.

8d24f759f0e0e8339f232697187fc2fd.jpg

It’s potting soil delivered to Colorado Springs.

I have to go to a wedding in boulder this weekend so I’m trying to just haul loads around here. Can’t wait to gtfo.

My nephew sometimes does flatbed, and he has delivered a full load of clay pigeons to a shooting range on a couple of occasions.   They need it on a flatbed because they have a forklift, but not a dock, and they unload in dirt.  Seems like a pallet jack and liftgate would do the job, but what do I know?  Anyway, he said it's really tough to strap them.   They need to be secure, but they break easily.  

On 6/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, RPM said:

I saw these in Houston in the mid 90's. A variation of what cement mixers use with added smaller axles under the rig. The pic above has one mid-axle, most I've seen have 3 like this.

10-peterbilt-super-dump-3993.jpg

Just mathematically assaulting the weight/bridge laws. Now I'm seeing a small fleet of them hauling rock from Bridgeport to DFW for Sunset Trucking. They can also get a yearly overload permit to haul 84,000 on any road without a load zone bridge for $50.

Buddy of mine owns a cement company and they switched to "super 16s" to haul material years ago, and he claimed the main benefit was the avg. driver (of his, anyway) was always and forever finding new ways to run over shit with fifth wheel dump trailers or simply jacknife them into the cab.

• Like 1

My nephew sometimes does flatbed, and he has delivered a full load of clay pigeons to a shooting range on a couple of occasions.   They need it on a flatbed because they have a forklift, but not a dock, and they unload in dirt.  Seems like a pallet jack and liftgate would do the job, but what do I know?  Anyway, he said it's really tough to strap them.   They need to be secure, but they break easily.  

A pallet jack and lift gate would take forever to unload a truck load of something.