Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

I ate at the heim by love field recently and it was just average.

I stopped getting brisket from the River location because it's been so bad lately. Had ribs and bacon burnt end a few weeks ago and both were very good.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, Dr Fear said:

I stopped getting brisket from the River location because it's been so bad lately. Had ribs and bacon burnt end a few weeks ago and both were very good.

It's been bad there for awhile now. I quit going. 

I did visit Ribbee's on Friday, and it was outstanding. I didn't think I'd get enough for $20, but it was plenty. Ribs were huge and more than enough fries. Roll was outstanding too. 

Trying to beat Colonial for the Pulido's opening. 

Also, [mention=5553]Herbie Hancock[/mention] never told me Aledo Brookshire's has a fucking bar. 5 dudes there today that looked like they probably meet pretty regularly on Sundays. 
Ha! That bar at the Brookshires is a trip. There are always people there.

Trying to beat Colonial for the Pulido's opening. 

Also, [mention=5553]Herbie Hancock[/mention] never told me Aledo Brookshire's has a fucking bar. 5 dudes there today that looked like they probably meet pretty regularly on Sundays. 

Ha I never venture over there these days. If I have to grocery shop out there I support the family business and go to HEB. I do know the Tom Thumb on W 7th had a half dozen taps at one point, but it’s probably been 2 years since I set foot in there. Brookshires is supposed to be cheap beers. Not dollar beer cheap, but reasonable.

7 hours ago, TornACL said:

Anyone here in the Ridgmar area? If so curious to get your thoughts on the houses around that neighborhood.

If you like mid century ranch with decent sized lots, you are in luck.  Most homes have been updated, good mix of starter families and empty nesters.  Great for convenient access to most things in Fort Worth.  Some sketchier areas on the edges/near the apartments, but overall quality neighborhood

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Damn. 24 years ago today

106e9b169291da4eb514d08f887a211e.jpg

I worked summer of '77 hanging sheetrock in this building.  When I drove by it the day after the tornado, I couldn't believe it.

I swear I’ve got pictures somewhere from driving around a couple days after. The initial touchdown was less than a mile from my apartment in River Oaks, and it tore apart my old HS athletic building and football stadium. I had already graduated in 99 though so it didn’t really affect me.

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

I swear I’ve got pictures somewhere from driving around a couple days after. The initial touchdown was less than a mile from my apartment in River Oaks, and it tore apart my old HS athletic building and football stadium. I had already graduated in 99 though so it didn’t really affect me.

An defense attorney friend officed on the top floor of the bank one building and his office was destroyed.  Some of his case files were found in Haltom City months afterward.  Giant trees in his Rivercrest home were uprooted and tore up what remained of his roof.

@Herbie Hancock or anyone else ever been here by the Ballpark? 

Bigotes, 1821 E. Abram St., has something you can’t find almost anywhere else: unlimited Tex-Mex. For about $12 at lunch until 4 p.m. weekdays and $13 for lunch or dinner Fridays and Saturdays, you get all the cheese enchiladas, crispy tacos and chalupas you cat eat (no substitutions). It’s a great legacy restaurant with 36 years of history. There’s also breakfast daily from 8 a.m. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=5553]Herbie Hancock[/mention] or anyone else ever been here by the Ballpark? 
Bigotes, 1821 E. Abram St., has something you can’t find almost anywhere else: unlimited Tex-Mex. For about $12 at lunch until 4 p.m. weekdays and $13 for lunch or dinner Fridays and Saturdays, you get all the cheese enchiladas, crispy tacos and chalupas you cat eat (no substitutions). It’s a great legacy restaurant with 36 years of history. There’s also breakfast daily from 8 a.m. 
IMG-0768.jpg

I ate there once a few years back. I didn’t like it. The place wasn’t very clean. The cheese enchiladas were just bad, having that dreaded “cooked earlier then reheated” hard cheese log inside. The watery chili gravy sucked so bad i didn’t give them another chance.

Finally made it to Ribbee's this morning at 1100 with no line at all. Place was clean and the staff were really friendly. I had the original ribs which were good, but my wife's beef ribs were obviously reheated which was disappointing. The French fries were over seasoned a little and the Cole Slaw was average. FYI, they charge a dollar for BBQ sauce, but there's enough for at least two orders or ribs. Overall, a good place to go. $20 a plate was reasonable as there was plenty of food, including a drink and roll.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 2:04 PM, Dr Fear said:

On the BBQ note, the Terry Blacks is well underway with active site/dirt work. The Van Zandt down the street not so much.

Still the case, Terry's had drain PVC going in, still not much going on at Van Zandt.  I drove by Daybreak yesterday and the auto building on the corner is completely gone along with all the cars and junk.

Good luck. 

West Magnolia Avenue is getting a new taco restaurant and bar, but the flavors will be familiar.

Tres Amigos Tacos & Tequila will replace a previous taco bar-and-grill at 909 W. Magnolia Ave., according to a city permit application.

Tres Amigos will bring back recipes by late Fort Worth chef Paul Willis, co-founder of several Texas restaurants including the former Cabo in Sundance Square. Willis was also behind the original Yucatan Taco Stand when it opened in 2008 in the same Magnolia space.

Willis’ prolific work also included a stint as late country singer Toby Keith’s personal chef. Willis originated menu items still served recently at Lucile’s Stateside Bistro and H3 Ranch and led several other taco restaurants, steakhouses and bars including Buffalo Gap Steakhouse, Pedro’s Trailer Park and an early Fuzzy’s Taco Shop. 

Admittedly Im a fan of black pepper rub on bbq, hurtado (8th Ave) pork ribs absolutely destroyed my one trip to ribbees. Slightly better deal to boot. Not overly impressed with the rest of hurtado’s meat offerings but those ribs were real deal.