The 2019 NBA Draft

Goo Punch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Iowa State freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker has declared himself eligible for the NBA Draft after just one season with the Cyclones.   

(NCAA rule changes allow for him to declare for the draft with or without an agent. If he were to hire an agent, the agent cannot provide compensation. The deadline to return to school is May 29th.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/04/01/iowa-states-horton-tucker-to-declare-for-nba-draft/39286031/

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Iowa State freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker has declared himself eligible for the NBA Draft after just one season with the Cyclones.   

(NCAA rule changes allow for him to declare for the draft with or without an agent. If he were to hire an agent, the agent cannot provide compensation. The deadline to return to school is May 29th.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/04/01/iowa-states-horton-tucker-to-declare-for-nba-draft/39286031/

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Seems like Steve Prohm is losing all of his best players. I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Compared to Shaka, sure, but I wouldn’t want him for 4 years guaranteed while also paying Shaka’s buyout, so we’re stuck with him til the end of his contract.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Recent USA Today ranking.....

1. Zion Williamson • Duke • Freshman • Forward • 6-7 • 285

2. Ja Morant • Murray State • Sophomore • Guard • 6-3 • 175

3. RJ Barrett • Duke • Freshman • Forward • 6-7 • 202 

4. De’Andre Hunter • Virginia • Sophomore • Forward • 6-7 • 225

5. Cam Reddish • Duke • Freshman • Forward • 6-8 • 218

6. Darius Garland • Vanderbilt • Freshman • Guard • 6-2 • 175

7. Jarrett Culver • Texas Tech • Sophomore • Guard • 6-6 • 195

8. Jaxson Hayes • Texas • Freshman • Center • 6-11 • 220

9. Coby White • North Carolina • Freshman • Guard • 6-5 • 185 

10. Romeo Langford • Indiana • Freshman • Guard • 6-6 • 215

11. Kevin Porter Jr. • Southern California • Freshman • Guard • 6-6 • 218

12. Sekou Doumbouya • Guinea • Forward • 6-9 • 210

13. Rui Hachimura • Gonzaga • Junior • Forward • 6-8 • 230

14. PJ Washington • Kentucky • Sophomore • Forward • 6-8 • 228

15. Keldon Johnson • Kentucky • Freshman • Guard • 6-6 • 211

16. Brandon Clarke • Gonzaga • Junior • Forward • 6-8 • 215

17. Nassir Little • North Carolina • Freshman • Forward • 6-6 • 220

18. Nickeil Alexander-Walker • Virginia Tech • Sophomore • Guard • 6-5 • 205 

19. Tyler Herro • Kentucky • Freshman • Guard • 6-5 • 195

20. Bol Bol • Oregon • Freshman • Center • 7-2 • 235

21. Jontay Porter • Missouri • Sophomore • Forward • 6-11 • 240

22. KZ Okpala • Stanford • Sophomore • Forward • 6-9 • 215

23. Goga Bitadze • Georgia (country) • Center • 6-11 • 250

24. Cam Johnson • North Carolina • Graduate student • Forward • 6-9 • 210

25. Bruno Fernando • Maryland • Sophomore • Center • 6-10 • 240

26. Talen Horton-Tucker • Iowa State • Freshman • Guard • 6-4 • 233

27. Grant Williams • Tennessee • Junior • Forward • 6-7 • 236

28. Matisse Thybulle • Washington • Senior • Guard • 6-5 • 200

29. Luguentz Dort • Arizona State • Freshman • Guard • 6-4 • 215

30. Ty Jerome • Virginia • Junior • Guard • 6-5 • 195

49 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t even really like Barrett’s potential in the NBA that much after seeing more of him this year.  After Zion and Morant, I don’t know who I’d take at 3.   Maybe a healthy Bol Bol?

I’m not a big fan of Barrett either, but I do think his game will improved when he gets to the NBA with better spacing. I’d still take him 3. Culver was exposed in the title game when defended by NBA level defenders. Hunter reminds me of Mikal Bridget’s—purely a 3 and D guy. He’s shockingly bad at dribbling. Bol Bol is a huge health concern and he’s likely to drop, so basically I’d take Barrett third just because I don’t see any other good options.

yeah looking back at this year's lottery will be very interesting for years to come. we're right around the time in history where guys who leave early (especially after only one or two years) will no longer be expected to be a cornerstone piece right away even as a top 10 pick. this is the time where guys leave college at 19 as projected lottery picks knowing that they still have years of development before they're ready to be big time players.

I really don't know anything about off-court NBA dealings, so I'll ask- how often do lottery picks get traded within two years of being drafted? I'd imagine that a prudent GM or experienced front office could hit some real licks by trading for recent top picks who aren't panning out because they aren't being developed well- so guys like Hayes, Culver, Hunter, Reddish- banking on their own organization's ability to develop them. I have to imagine that player development is going to play a bigger role than it ever has going forward in the league. What you do with your pick will be just as important as who you pick when everyone in the draft is a project.

47 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh no, how could we ever trade Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and what will probably be mid-late 1st rounders for Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard?  And you want Lonzo or Josh Hart, too?  The horror!  And btw, Boston says Jaylen Brown is untouchable!

LOL - that crap cracks me up. I'm almost certain that the Lakers would trade their entire roster save Lebron for Kawhi or Davis. They'd have a better record with those two and a bunch of bottom and middle-tier free agents than they had this year. 

It's mostly the fans who have those delusional takes though. And it's like 90% Lakers fans.

You're not getting a star without an all-star caliber player or two. The Spurs haul for Leonard is basically the floor. They were never going to take whatever terrible offer the Lakers gave them. Nor were they going to take Fultz and spares. There is literally no package outside of Lebron or one of Simmons/Embiid they'd have taken. 

Edited by BradInATX

also i think the mocks have Bol Bol sliding too far. I get it that he's an injury concern, but he went from being a top 5-7 pick to a top 18-21 pick after one injury. i'd have absolutely no problem taking him pretty much anywhere after 10, and maybe even earlier if i was convinced that he isn't injury prone.

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Carsen Edwards is an interesting player in the draft. If he was a couple inches taller he would be a top 10 pick. 

Exactly. He's clearly a player who will get drafted later than he should, but will stick on a roster and actually contribute during his rookie year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Eric Bledsoe is the same height and Trae Young is 1" taller -- per official listings.  I think Edwards can be a decent player , especially since he can launch and hit so well. 

Bledsoe is much more explosive and to my eye he's much longer than Edwards. As to how he compares to Trae Young he hasnt really demonstrated much of a PG skillset.  I view him more in the mold of Isaiah Thomas 2.0 or Kemba Walker, ie a short 2 guard. 

• Like 1