The Italy Thread

sidis

Yes.  Sort of.  I had the pleasure of being in Milano over Ferragosto weekend - a major holiday in the middle of August.  The city was empty.  It was amazing!  Walked peacefully in beautiful empty squares.  The Castello Sforzesco (which was amazing) was so peaceful.  

That said, I think there is more to Milano than meets the eye but, as someone else said and as I suggested, plenty of great places within driving distance of Malpensa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been meaning to post a few shots (of the over 1000 I took) from trip to Italy in March...hopefully some of you who haven't been to Italy will be further inspired. Here is a few from Rome:

Renegade picture of ceiling of Sistine Chapel. Even in March, there was damn near 300-400 people crowded into the chapel which made taking this more difficult (beside the over-observant Vatican Museum personnel). 

M8HyL2cyQGiOWORYUeVYEw?viewBox=1444%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

Michaelangelo's Pieta

ZA6VYTUhTvCLIsvE8X2TYQ?viewBox=1444%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

Fontana di Trevi at Night. Also crowded, but able to get close enough to take a pic that looks like no one was there

pHLcMtl0QL2yd8_vvD_vOg?viewBox=1444%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

View of the Pantheon in through the Fontana del Pantheon

td_VXQkUT7aOb1y65aChEw?viewBox=1444%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

We were actually at the Pantheon on Unification Day, which is March 17th. There was a ceremony inside and there were wreaths and guards on the graves of both Vittorio Emmanuele II and his son Umberto. I'm mostly Irish and Italian, which means March 17th is a culturally important day for me and I have been lucky to be in both Ireland and Italy on March 17th. 

xid8rNjOSwKxRfaldWk07A?viewBox=641%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

Again, recommendation for La Sagrestia which is right down the street (< 1000 yards) from the Pantheon. Thanks to Penelope Witherspoon for highlighting this place in her thread

dg0xMbBTRYOHYUZxU6L4QA?viewBox=641%2C963&ownerId=A2F6EU7I3VA0VP

More to come when I get around to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Planning a trip for next summer - back half of June. Is their a discernible difference (in terms of crowds and whatnot) if the trip extends into the first week of July? Depending on school schedules, we can do something like Jun 12-25 or Jun 18-Jul 5. This thread is awesome - thanks all. 

11 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Planning a trip for next summer - back half of June. Is their a discernible difference (in terms of crowds and whatnot) if the trip extends into the first week of July? Depending on school schedules, we can do something like Jun 12-25 or Jun 18-Jul 5. This thread is awesome - thanks all. 

Probably not.  Anytime after late winter is crowded.  Also bill be very hot.

for Rome I found that I only needed one web source of information and its really good - romewise.com

eater.com also has seriously reliable guide for eating in Rome, and other parts of Italy

• 3 weeks later...

I got what I can only assume is a love letter from Italy today!  It must be important because it came via Certified Letter!  I can't wait to get it translated, I wonder what it says?!

Spoiler
Protocol: 393608 / 2018 Letter : E Nr. of form : 2050xxx
Place of offence: : VLE ETRURIA Date : 15-07-2018 Time : 05:14:00
Brand and type of vehicle : CAR Number Plate : FK6xxxx
Art.: 142 - Comma: 8
Nature of offence : The driver was driving the vehicle at a speed of km/h exceeding by more than 10 but less than 40 km/h the fixed speed limit of 50 km/h for that stretch of road (applying a 5% tolerance with a minimum of 5 km/h for a speed <= 100 km/h to 67.00 km/h detected by a speed detection device). In accordance with Article 195 paragraph 2bis the amount of the violation has to be increased by 1/3 since the violation was committed between 10 pm and 7 am.
  Photo: foto.gif  
Payment Date: 25-06-2019 Amount:: 173.84

...  I love you Firenze!  You Kinky!

Edited by Loco

58 minutes ago, Loco said:

I got what I can only assume is a love letter from Italy today!  It must be important because it came via Certified Letter!  I can't wait to get it translated, I wonder what it says?!

Hide contents
Protocol: 393608 / 2018 Letter : E Nr. of form : 2050xxx
Place of offence: : VLE ETRURIA Date : 15-07-2018 Time : 05:14:00
Brand and type of vehicle : CAR Number Plate : FK6xxxx
Art.: 142 - Comma: 8
Nature of offence : The driver was driving the vehicle at a speed of km/h exceeding by more than 10 but less than 40 km/h the fixed speed limit of 50 km/h for that stretch of road (applying a 5% tolerance with a minimum of 5 km/h for a speed <= 100 km/h to 67.00 km/h detected by a speed detection device). In accordance with Article 195 paragraph 2bis the amount of the violation has to be increased by 1/3 since the violation was committed between 10 pm and 7 am.
  Photo: foto.gif  
Payment Date: 25-06-2019 Amount:: 173.84

...  I love you Firenze!  You Kinky!

That's from July 15 and it just came today?  Man, I thought I was in the clear from my trip in September.

37 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's from July 15 and it just came today?  Man, I thought I was in the clear from my trip in September.

yeah that's from last year on 7/15.  I have heard it can take over a year.  Evidently Florence is REALLY aggressive on tickets.

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

yeah that's from last year on 7/15.  I have heard it can take over a year.  Evidently Florence is REALLY aggressive on tickets.

Fack.  Welp, guess I'll just see what happens.  I thought I was really careful, but who knows.   I'm going back again in September too.  

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I got a ticket sent from my 2015 trip. It was also in Florence.  I ignored it and it had no affect on renting a car last year in Florence. 

Yes, but I have lived my life by a set of rules...

Rule #1 Don't end up in a foreign jail

I paid it, it sucks, won't go back to Florence, especially after the stats I saw on their little money making racket.  I know the exact moment that I got the ticket, there was a slight hill and at the bottom, flash!  They placed the speed trap at the bottom of the hill and it worked.  

Fun fact! My ticket was a little after 5am (we left early to drive up to Milan) so they added 30% because it was between 10pm & 7am. wtf?

I don't know how I've never gotten a ticket... I'll drive 2-4 weeks in Italy almost every year and I am rather, ah, aggressive.  Just have to watch for the Autovelox and avoid the ZTL.  Only ticket I ever got was forgetting to pay for parking at an Italian ski resort.  That was all on me.  

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nice. Isn't shit all shut down in August though?

Not there, that's where everyone is instead of working. Tbh, I would not pick this week because its fucking bonkers there, but it was the only week we could possibly get away.

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I spent an afternoon at that bar down there last year.  Did not stay in the hotel, however.  Good choice and nice humble brag.

This is my second stay here. Can't recommend enough, they are as good as I've seen on service anywhere in the planet.

Edit: Posting this from that bar 

Edited by G650

On 6/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, 52-80 said:

Probably not.  Anytime after late winter is crowded.  Also bill be very hot.

for Rome I found that I only needed one web source of information and its really good - romewise.com

eater.com also has seriously reliable guide for eating in Rome, and other parts of Italy

Also, if texdago recommends a restaurant, you should go to it.  His advice will never lead you wrong.

40 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is my second stay here. Can't recommend enough, they are as good as I've seen on service anywhere in the planet.

Edit: Posting this from that bar 

seriously, while you are there, swing around to the other side and go to lezzeno.  there is a tiny little restaurant there called da abate.  tiny little stone house.  owner is a seriously cool guy and the fish is out of this world.  highly recommend for one of the lesser than posh evening alternatives while you are there.

enjoy.  i'm suddenly planning my return.

22 minutes ago, sidis said:

seriously, while you are there, swing around to the other side and go to lezzeno.  there is a tiny little restaurant there called da abate.  tiny little stone house.  owner is a seriously cool guy and the fish is out of this world.  highly recommend for one of the lesser than posh evening alternatives while you are there.

enjoy.  i'm suddenly planning my return.

I will absolutely do it and report back.

Tbh, I could basically go to Como for every holiday. Been low key scoping property here for a few years.

11 hours ago, texasdago said:

I"m at the point where tourism has gotten so overwhelming that I almost want to say "you should totally spend all your vacation in Rome, Florence and Venice" so I can go where there are fewer crowds :D.  

I try my best to go in the 'offseason'.  In quotes because there doesn't seem to be an offseason anymore.  That being said one of my favorite trips was taking in the countryside in Bologna etc...much smaller crowds and a very enjoyable trip. 

Heading to Spain w the guys then fly to Milan to meet wife after Labor Day.  Thinking just a day there then Florence - hoping crowds have died a bit with school starting.  Worth taking the bullet train back to Milan and spending a couple days on Lake Como?  Keep in mind we have 6 total days and love history - Florence is really all we have not hit as far as a major Italian city.  

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I try my best to go in the 'offseason'.  In quotes because there doesn't seem to be an offseason anymore.  That being said one of my favorite trips was taking in the countryside in Bologna etc...much smaller crowds and a very enjoyable trip. 

Heading to Spain w the guys then fly to Milan to meet wife after Labor Day.  Thinking just a day there then Florence - hoping crowds have died a bit with school starting.  Worth taking the bullet train back to Milan and spending a couple days on Lake Como?  Keep in mind we have 6 total days and love history - Florence is really all we have not hit as far as a major Italian city.  

Florence was my least favorite ..  there's a Disney store a block from the Cathedral.  Just felt like a giant tourist trap.   In fairness, we breezed through and I didn't plan anything beyond the highlights.   Prepare to hear about the most hyped average steak you've ever eaten.

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

with 6 days and those three location options...

1 day milan.

3 in florence (including train travel in morning but it's a short trip) - this is assuming you really enjoy renaissance history in particular, medici, pitti, pazzi, revolution of art, literature, and architecture...brunelleschi, vasari, leonardo, michaelangelo, dante, etc... 

2 in lake como (including train travel from florence to milan, then pick up a car and drive the 40 minutes to lake como).

1 in milan (assuming you are flying back out of malpensa).

if it were me, i would flip florence and como in terms of number of days but have already spent a substantial amount of time in florence.  there are quite a few here who are pretty ambivalent about the city but i love it.  i wouldn't got in the summer and i would spend all my time lingering around the duomo or palazzo vecchio though.  go to trattoria sostanza for a great lunch/dinner and vivoli for gelato.

on your way back, you could go somewhat indirectly through modena and stop to have lunch at osteria francescana...maybe stop off at sant'agata bolognese to go see the where your new overly-subtle and understated lamborghini was made.  just sayin'...

https://osteriafrancescana.dinesuperb.com/reserve/guests

7 hours ago, G650 said:

Como is always worth it. But you should see Florence once if you haven't yet.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

If you like art and wine Florence is a wonderful place to be. 

3 hours ago, Loco said:

Florence was my least favorite ..  there's a Disney store a block from the Cathedral.  Just felt like a giant tourist trap.   In fairness, we breezed through and I didn't plan anything beyond the highlights.   Prepare to hear about the most hyped average steak you've ever eaten.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

with 6 days and those three location options...

1 day milan.

3 in florence (including train travel in morning but it's a short trip) - this is assuming you really enjoy renaissance history in particular, medici, pitti, pazzi, revolution of art, literature, and architecture...brunelleschi, vasari, leonardo, michaelangelo, dante, etc... 

2 in lake como (including train travel from florence to milan, then pick up a car and drive the 40 minutes to lake como).

1 in milan (assuming you are flying back out of malpensa).

if it were me, i would flip florence and como in terms of number of days but have already spent a substantial amount of time in florence.  there are quite a few here who are pretty ambivalent about the city but i love it.  i wouldn't got in the summer and i would spend all my time lingering around the duomo or palazzo vecchio though.  go to trattoria sostanza for a great lunch/dinner and vivoli for gelato.

on your way back, you could go somewhat indirectly through modena and stop to have lunch at osteria francescana...maybe stop off at sant'agata bolognese to go see the where your new overly-subtle and understated lamborghini was made.  just sayin'...

https://osteriafrancescana.dinesuperb.com/reserve/guests

Appreciate the advice gents.  Will hit Como at least two days.  Will brave the crowds to get my history fix in Florence.  

I raced Lambos at Sant’agata Bolognese 2 years ago.  Was bad ass.  Will try to plan a guys trip back there.  

40 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Will try to plan a guys trip back there.  

and you will include me in the plans and offer to comp the whole thing for me.  i'll endure damn, dirty sooners if it involves racing criminally insane italian supercars through emilia romagna. 

some good itinerary suggestions by aoc above. 

in my post above, there was a typo where "would" should be "wouldn't" re: just hanging around santa maria del fiore and the palazzo vecchio.  lots of great spots that aren't quite so overrun.  david is awesome but go see the tombs of lorenzo and giulliano in the medici chapel of san lorenzo for a more up close and personal experience, etc... 

The wife and I are going for a wedding in September.  We will have a couple nights in Florence before the wedding, so the above posts have been quite helpful.  We will be on our own from Sunday, Sept 29th - Saturday, Oct 5 when we fly out of Rome at 7:05 AM (so really we have to be in Rome on Friday, Oct 4th).

So, what would you do with about 5 nights and 4 days.  The caveat is that my wife studied abroad in Florence many moons ago, so she has been to Como, Amalfi, Florence, Rome.  I've been to Rome a couple times and Venice once.  I'd like to do something new to both of us, perhaps a little more off the beaten path, but without sacrificing good food, wine, and scenery.

Sicily is intriguing to me.  There are cheap direct flights from Florence to Catania on the 29th (or a short stop in Rome to fly to Palermo instead).  Numerous options to fly to Rome on the 4th.  Anybody have Sicily experience?  Love or hate?  Where would you go with Sunday evening to Friday afternoon on your hands?

Sardinia is another option, although it appears we'd have a short layover in Rome.  It appears we could also take a ferry from Livorno to Olbia, but the reviews are pretty terrible.

Any completely different recs?  

sardinia is always a good spot.

if you want something that isn't a typical italian tourist destination (cities/amalfi/capri) and a little bit different than umbria/tuscany for the countryside, there are a lot of good posts in this thread about the often-neglected southeastern part of italy...in an around the bari and lecce areas that you may want to go read.

if you like lake como but don't want the crowds and want something a bit more off the beaten path, the other lakes are pretty amazing as well...lago d'iseo/lago di garda/lago d'idro.

liguria is always attractive...tiny towns on the coast. 

or some tiny mountain town like castel del monte in abruzzo if you're really trying to get away.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

beaches man.  if you aren't already hitting beaches as part of the wedding or the rest of your travel, i would definitely hit the beaches.  costa smeralda and the rest of the north end beaches are jaw-dropping...as are the tits.  stunning. cala luna...they're all great.

but it is definitely more isolated and rural up there.  if you want an urban home base, cagliari is really the only option and it is in the south.  good news, the south has unbelievable beaches as well.

just my opinion.  sardinians are a bit of a different brand of folks.  just fair warning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

The wife and I are going for a wedding in September.  We will have a couple nights in Florence before the wedding, so the above posts have been quite helpful.  We will be on our own from Sunday, Sept 29th - Saturday, Oct 5 when we fly out of Rome at 7:05 AM (so really we have to be in Rome on Friday, Oct 4th).

So, what would you do with about 5 nights and 4 days.  The caveat is that my wife studied abroad in Florence many moons ago, so she has been to Como, Amalfi, Florence, Rome.  I've been to Rome a couple times and Venice once.  I'd like to do something new to both of us, perhaps a little more off the beaten path, but without sacrificing good food, wine, and scenery.

Sicily is intriguing to me.  There are cheap direct flights from Florence to Catania on the 29th (or a short stop in Rome to fly to Palermo instead).  Numerous options to fly to Rome on the 4th.  Anybody have Sicily experience?  Love or hate?  Where would you go with Sunday evening to Friday afternoon on your hands?

Sardinia is another option, although it appears we'd have a short layover in Rome.  It appears we could also take a ferry from Livorno to Olbia, but the reviews are pretty terrible.

Any completely different recs?  

Siena

4 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Is there general agreement here that Pisa is the most overrated spot in all of Italy? It's never my intention to shit on anyone's plans or knock a place someone enjoyed, but that's probably the only place in Italy that I don't care to ever visit again.  

hop off the train from florence, show up, take a pic of the tower, enjoy the nice grass around the cathedral on the other side for ten minutes, take a pic with the dudes everywhere sporting automatic weapons, jump back on the train, off to cinque terra.  no need to ever return.