2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

On 4/29/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mileslong said:

On Monday my club is closed so usually go for a walk in the morning around the course and the rest of week I go at night.

I started noticing s bunch of balls lying around in weeds and water etc so I started picking up a few. Now I’ll take an 8 iron and hit some I find on various holes. Playing the 8 iron from the tee makes you hit various type shots and it’s s lot of fun. I started keeping the best balls and it feeds my girlfriends obsession with golf and let’s me play a bunch of good balls to see if I like them. I give her the colored ones.

Here is today’s haul, all brand new. One backyard ball, I only keep like new ones I find now.

ab85d6bef530f5bd15380d6b3d418595.jpg

f4fe68b6bc44310ad84a18dcc45fe0e3.jpg

Had a family friend who took up walking as a way to get in shape. There's a trail around one of the nicer public courses in NOrth Austin (and some ways to get onto the course itself in the evening). He started picking up the balls he found, and at the end of the year donated 5,000 golf balls (after giving us all the really good ones) to the First Tee.

So, you know, beware what you start.

• Like 1

Had a family friend who took up walking as a way to get in shape. There's a trail around one of the nicer public courses in NOrth Austin (and some ways to get onto the course itself in the evening). He started picking up the balls he found, and at the end of the year donated 5,000 golf balls (after giving us all the really good ones) to the First Tee.

That’s a great idea. I only play the new premium balls and still buy new ones when playing tourneys and special rounds. I will never play all these I’ve collected already

20 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I assume he gave you all of the Kirklands.

Didn't know you could donate used balls to First Tee. Don't know why, just never occurred to me.  In the summer, I get probably 15-20 in my yard per week. Most golfers that visit me leave with a bag of golf balls, I hit the bad ones into the lake, and still will never get through as many as I have. 

Didn't know you could donate used balls to First Tee. Don't know why, just never occurred to me.  In the summer, I get probably 15-20 in my yard per week. Most golfers that visit me leave with a bag of golf balls, I hit the bad ones into the lake, and still will never get through as many as I have. 

Yes. There are a number of clubs/courses that have donation bins.

26 minutes ago, JSB said:

Yeah, my dad had a logo golf ball collecting disease.  He had/has over 11,000 golf balls (I'll bet there are fewer than 30 repeats) on his office walls and probably another 3-4000 (lots of repeats) around the office.  When he passed away, I bet he had over 15,000 balls at his house in egg containers.  We gave them away here and there and got tired of it, so we donated about 12,000 balls to the First Tee.  It was funny when we pulled up with a pickup load of golf balls in egg containers and 2 full 55 gallon trash cans full.

21 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

Yeah, my dad had a logo golf ball collecting disease.  He had/has over 11,000 golf balls (I'll bet there are fewer than 30 repeats) on his office walls and probably another 3-4000 (lots of repeats) around the office.  When he passed away, I bet he had over 15,000 balls at his house in egg containers.  We gave them away here and there and got tired of it, so we donated about 12,000 balls to the First Tee.  It was funny when we pulled up with a pickup load of golf balls in egg containers and 2 full 55 gallon trash cans full.

And holy fuck do buckets of golf balls get heavy quick ...

Attention Surly golfers - Rory wins & you win (I posted this in the PGA Championship thread, but figured I should also post it here )

Taylormade has a promo, partnering with Dick's and Golf Galaxy - where you can win a new M5 or M6 driver, if Rory wins the PGA Championship.

No purchase necessary, entry forms are available at Dick's or Golf Galaxy

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/s/rorywins

To claim your free driver if you did not make a Qualifying Purchase, mail your completed original Refund Promotion form (name, address, phone number, email address (optional)), and whether you want an M5 or M6 driver in a hand-addressed, stamped envelope to retailcomm / Attn: Rory Wins Sweepstakes / 13810 Welch Road, Dallas, TX, 75244. Each Refund Promotion form is uniquely numbered and can only be used once. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced forms will be accepted. No responsibility is assumed by Promotion Parties for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, stolen, postage due or misdirected Refund Promotion forms or mail. Refund Promotion forms must be legibly hand written. Mechanical reproductions, postage-due Refund Promotion forms, or Refund Promotion forms sent in excess of the entry limit set forth herein will not be accepted. Refund Promotion forms received without a verifiable and legible return address will be deemed incomplete and not valid. Free driver requests must be postmarked by May 30, 2019 and received no later than June 5, 2019.

fwiw - I went to the store at lunch today and they had a pad sitting on the counter, and nobody in the golf department. I didn't take the entire pad, just a dozen or so - that way if Rory wins my family & golf buddies all win too.

Go Rory (or go Jordan, if it isn't Rors)

Well, the Myrtle trip was a lot of fun. Truth be told, I probably shouldn't have gone since I had ACL reconstruction, a meniscus repair, and an OATS procedure at the beginning of December. However, I went to the range a couple weeks before and built a swing that wouldn't hurt. Lol.

We played Lengends Golf Resort. We had 19 guys. The first day we played the Parkland course. There were roughly 4 guys to a condo, so we played against each other by total strokes per house. We came in 1st. Second day we played Moorland, which is the hardest course, even though Parkland is rated harder. It has elevated, crowned greens. It was blowing pretty hard that day, which made hitting them extremely difficult. Everyone looked defeated when we finished the round. Lol.

Third day we played Parkland again, and by this I was wiped out as I was not in golf shape. Number 9 on Parkland is a gettable par 4 at 311. I tried to turn the wick up and tweaked my back a little and it was downhill from there. Made the turn at 40 and crumbled...lol.

Last day we played Heathland, which is a relaxing course. The top 5 golfers drafted their teams and we played best ball. We were in first place with 4 to play and bogeyed two of the last 4 coming in finishing second. I slept for 13 hours when I got home. I was tired!! Me on the left. 33b4bf84add83d09540a66dbc7fbc74e.jpg2a3f690718c72f298a69b94692733d8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got invited to play Secession Golf Club in Beaufort, SC last month and after three rounds on the course, I think it is firmly in my top 3 all time.  It's a walking only course, but everyone has a caddie double-bagging it and the course is designed to be very easy to walk.  Many of the caddies were over on a short term visa from Scotland and were a big part of the experience.  It's a links style course along the bay and the course plays very differently depending on whether the tide is in or out.  The layout, condition, history and location made this one of the finest golfing experiences I've ever had.

I played like an asshole for the most part, but did catch fire with 5 birdies on the back nine of the last round... 

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I got invited to play Secession Golf Club in Beaufort, SC last month and after three rounds on the course, I think it is firmly in my top 3 all time.  It's a walking only course, but everyone has a caddie double-bagging it and the course is designed to be very easy to walk.  Many of the caddies were over on a short term visa from Scotland and were a big part of the experience.  It's a links style course along the bay and the course plays very differently depending on whether the tide is in or out.  The layout, condition, history and location made this one of the finest golfing experiences I've ever had.

I played like an asshole for the most part, but did catch fire with 5 birdies on the back nine of the last round... 

I've heard that place is incredible.

What are your other 2 in the top 3? And 5 birdies in 9 holes is pretty pretty pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Others in my top 3/4 are Royal St. George's, Whispering Pines and Pinehurst #2. 

5 birdies in 9 holes was an out of body experience.  I shot 46 on the front, had 3 bogies, 1 par and 5 birdies on the back for a 34 - smooth 80. 

The other guys in the group all run in much taller grass than I do - one of them had played Augusta last year and said that Secession was in better shape.

13 hours ago, Lurch said:

Pinehurst #2 is in my top 3 most unenjoyable rounds

Agreed. We played number 2 after the US Open. Nothing more frustrating than hitting a good drive that runs just off the fairway and losing your ball. Tobacco Road is another course like that. A little wind and you can lose a ball on every hole. Lol

Granted I’m a shitty 12-handicap golfer, but I don’t find repeatedly putting off greens and chipping onto a green only to watch it roll back to your feet very fun. Particularly in a tourney where you can’t just pick up and get a good laugh out of it. It was quite miserable, and I’m a pretty cheerful guy on the course.

How did you lose a ball at #2?  There is no rough, it's all just the sandy areas with some wiry grass areas. 
Unless this was the first open there before the Coore & Crenshaw redo.
It was the first one. I used to live in NC back then. In fact, that Open was a lot of the reason they redesigned it if you remember how silly it was. Haven't been back since.

Granted I’m a shitty 12-handicap golfer, but I don’t find repeatedly putting off greens and chipping onto a green only to watch it roll back to your feet very fun. Particularly in a tourney where you can’t just pick up and get a good laugh out of it. It was quite miserable, and I’m a pretty cheerful guy on the course.
Lol. I played a weird course in Ohio where it was 1/2 links and 1/2 wooded. They thought it was cute to place pins on slopes where if you didn't roll the ball in it was going to roll back at least two feet.

I forked out some cash for lessons, and working on some swing changes. More shoulder turn is one. Spent a week at the range getting used to the changes. Shot 79 yesterday, +1 at the turn. Irons are deadly straight, and my driver is more consistent and straight. Currently a 10 handicap, looking to get down to 7 or 8 buy end of summer.

I am a firm believer that money is better spent on lessons/coaching than on new equipment.

No doubt about it especially w a pro that connects with you

You doing the drill where you hold the club across your shoulders and turn until the club points behind the ball? I still do that in my warm up session.

Did he work on your hip turn at all?

16 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Anybody ever play the course at Lajitas, in Big Bend? Any other decent courses out that way?

Everyone I know that has played it loved it.

Dunno about other options out that far.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It was the first one. I used to live in NC back then. In fact, that Open was a lot of the reason they redesigned it if you remember how silly it was. Haven't been back since.

That's understandable.  That had tons of thick shitty rough.  If you ever get a chance to go back, do it.  So much more fun now.

No doubt about it especially w a pro that connects with you

You doing the drill where you hold the club across your shoulders and turn until the club points behind the ball? I still do that in my warm up session.

Did he work on your hip turn at all?
Yes on the drill. My swing thought is front shoulder pointing at the ball. And wrist cock. Ball flight is now a nice push-draw, takes out the right side miss completely.

Hip turn has never been an issue, I used to play tennis and that has translated well in golf.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, chitwood said:

That's understandable.  That had tons of thick shitty rough.  If you ever get a chance to go back, do it.  So much more fun now.

Yep. Honestly, I didn't watch the last Major there so I had no idea they changed it. I was just out there. I flew into Raleigh for the Myrtle trip, and stayed for 3 days with my buddy in Holly Springs.

I’ve got a great schedule of golf coming up this summer/fall.

Wednesday: Alotian Club

Member Guest at Prairie Dunes

Fourball at The Blessings in Fayetteville 

Fourball at the Golf Club at Castle Pines in Colorado

Bandon Trip this fall with a bunch of old teammates

• Like 3

I wouldn’t call it brutally hard. If you are playing well you can score. What it does is it never lets up. A lazy swing or mediocre shot will get ejected. 

It’s stupid hard and long (basically unplayable) from the plates if you don’t have PGA length. I think the course rating is 80 from there.

If you play the member tees (yellow or hybrid yellow/red) it is very playable. Hard but gettable. The wind is a major factor. If it is laying down you can score.