2020 Ryder Cup

smwhorn

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's a golf ball. Tiger won, how many majors with Nike clubs and balls? Like you said it's best on best - I think they can figure it out for one round. 

Sure.  It’s a golf ball.  One of which may travel a few yards farther or shorter than the one they play the other 51 weeks of the year.  Those few yards are the difference between a tap in birdie and a 10 footer.  It’s fucking stupid.  I realize the lift, clean, and place could lead to some shenanigans, but Reed’s not playing so that potential problem should be neutralized.

• Haha 1

One of the reasons that Tiger and Phil struggled when they played alternate shot was because they used completely different types of golf balls, and Phil didn't have time to prepare for the ball they were using (Tiger's ball).  it does make a difference at that level:

In alternate shot, you play with one ball, and that was the issue, Mickelson said.

"[Woods] found out the year before when we played at the Presidents Cup in 2003 that the golf ball I was playing was not going to work for him," Mickelson said. "He plays a very high-spin ball and I play a very low-spin ball, and we had to come up in two days with a solution.

"So I grabbed a couple dozen of his balls, I went off to the side and tried to learn his golf ball in a four- or five-hour session on kind of an isolated -- one of the other holes out there trying to find out how far the ball goes. And it forced me to stop my preparation for the tournament, to stop chipping and stop putting and stop sharpening my game and stop learning the golf course in an effort to crash-course and learn a whole different golf ball that we were going to be playing.

"In the history of my career, I have never ball-tested two days prior to a major. I've never done it. It doesn't allow me to play my best. What allows me to play my best is to learn the course, sharpen my touch on the greens, sharpen my chipping out of the rough and ball striking and so forth.

"Instead, I'm taking four or five hours, and I'm out trying to learn another ball to allow us to play our best. Had we known a month in advance, we might have been able to make it work. I think we probably would have made it work. But we didn't know until two days prior."

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/17659421/phil-mickelson-opens-2004-ryder-cup-pairing-tiger-woods

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's a golf ball. Tiger won, how many majors with Nike clubs and balls? Like you said it's best on best - I think they can figure it out for one round. 

it actually does matter a lot to a pro.  the spin, the flight can be much different between types.

9 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Also this. These guys could shoot 64 with wooden shafts and Nitro balls. It don’t make a shit

Reminded me of Lee Trevino and Dr Pepper bottle stories...

"TREVINO'S STILL HUSTLING IN HIS 3RD SENIOR YEAR - AND HE'S ROLLING IN COIN"

By Deseret News  Jul 5, 1992      Paul Daugherty

What he did was take a 32-ounce empty bottle of Dr Pepper, wrap it in adhesive tape to keep it from shattering, and make money.

This was 30 years ago. If you were Lee Buck Trevino, you couldn't walk onto a country club golf course in the city of Dallas unless you had someone's bag on your back. If you wanted to play golf, you bounced X-outs around the hardscrabble public courses, where being Mexican or black was not so much of a crime.And you hustled.

Trevino was 23 when he went from the Marine Corps to working at Hardy's Driving Range and Pitch-N-Putt in North Dallas. He made $100 for a six-day week, not including the money he separated from unwary patrons.

"I got so good with a wedge and a putter, I couldn't get a game," Trevino said. "Then I got so good with the wedge, I couldn't get a game.

"Then I played with a driver. Finally, I took this 32-ounce Dr Pepper bottle and I wrapped up the neck of it and I started throwing balls up and hitting them.

"I got to where I could hit it low, and then I could hit it high, and then I'd lay it down and putt it between my legs. I could roll the ball about 110 or 115 yards."

Trevino would bet people he could beat them across nine holes, he with his pop bottle, they with their shiny new Hogans. Almost always, they'd take the bet. Nobody plays golf with a pop bottle.

Report ad

"We'd play for a dollar or two dollars," Trevino said. "Any ties, I'd win. I played with that bottle for five years and I never lost a match. And I played some guns."

If you want to know Lee Trevino, you need to know that story. He isn't playing with Dr Pepper bottles now. He could own Dr Pepper, but he's still hustling.

In his third full year on the seniors' liniment and laxative circuit, Lee Buck has won five tournaments and $700,000. What the Senior PGA Tour does best for Trevino is write checks.

Somehow, Trevino makes his weekly cash hauls sound like a labor of love.

"I have an obligation to support this Tour," he said. "And I do it for the competition."

Great. What competition?

In 18 tournaments this year, Trevino has five wins and 17 Top 10 finishes. If you did that on the regular Tour, they'd call you God. Or Jack.

Since 1990, Trevino has made $2.6 million out here with the oldtimers, only $800,000 less than he pocketed in two decades on the regular Tour. It's quite an obligation, drowning in all that coin. Trevino, altruist that he is, is bearing up well.

"I didn't go to work (at Hardy's) until 2 in the afternoon," he recalls. "We didn't get any business until 6. So from 2 to 6, I hit balls. It was nothing to hit 1,000 drivers a day on that driving range.

"I alternated. Driving range one day, pitch-n-putt the next. It was perfect. I practiced the driver one day. The next day, I'd work my wedges and my bottle."

When he feels like it, Trevino can be charming. On this day, he was. It is important to note that Lee's charm came during a press conference arranged by Cadillac, one of the Senior Tour's biggest sponsors.

Trevino is still hustling. During the six months before he turned 50 and became eligible for the Senior Tour, he practiced like he was still at Hardy's. He took a long look at who his competition would be, and decided what he could do was steal without breaking the law.

The two years before Trevino became a full-time Senior player, the leading Senior winner was Bob Charles. Charles won five tournaments on the regular Tour; Trevino won 27.

Excuse me, sir, but just back that money truck up right here, and dump it all in the trunk of my Eldorado.

Is it any wonder that Ray Floyd is checking in with some of the best golf of his life right now? His first Senior event is in September, days after his 50th birthday. Floyd is deciding whether to take future swag in hundreds or small bills.

"I used to play golf the way the book said," Trevino is saying. "And I almost starved to death."

He's giving a clinic to a bunch of well-scrubbed kids at the practice tee. If the irony of that strikes him, it doesn't show. They didn't have clinics for Dr Pepper golfers in Dallas.

Trevino teaches an outside-in golf swing which, as you might expect, is completely opposite what is customarily taught. Trevino didn't get to where he is by being conventional.

"If you want to teach them how Nicklaus does it," he says, "you better bring in Nicklaus."

Trevino rips off three long-iron shots for the kids, 200 yards and dead down the middle.

"I've come to the conclusion," he says, "that this is the easiest game in the world to play."

It isn't, of course. But for a hustler, it can be a real piece of cake.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2021/09/21/potential-2021-ryder-cup-pairings-based-on-players-golf-balls-titleist-bridgestone-taylormade-callaway.html 

Potential Ryder Cup pairings based on which balls players play

September 21, 2021    By GolfWRX, PGATOUR.COM

Since so much talk about golf balls... From article above:

Who plays what golf ball on the U.S. Team?

• TaylorMade TP5: Collin Morikawa
  • TaylorMade TP5x: Dustin Johnson
  • Bridgestone Tour B X: Bryson DeChambeau 
  • Callaway Chrome Soft X LS: Xander Schauffele
  • Titleist Pro V1: Harris English, Scottie Scheffler
  • Titleist Pro V1x: Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Patrick Cantlay, Jordan Spieth
  • Titleist Pro V1 Left Dot: Daniel Berger, Tony Finau

Who plays what golf ball for Europe?

• TaylorMade TP5x: Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Sergio Garcia,
  • Callaway Chrome Soft X: Jon Rahm
  • Titleist Pro V1: Paul Casey, Viktor Hovland, Bernd Wiesberger
  • Titleist Pro V1x: Matt Fitzpatrick, Tyrrell Hatton, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter
  • Srixon Z-Star XV: Shane Lowry

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Golf ball matters a lot. Especially when it comes to short game. Even I can tell the difference in and around the greens.

Rules of golf also allow for lift, clean, and place in certain situations so it's not like there isn't precedent for it and it's not like the rules of golf don't change. Personally, I like the added element of uncertainty caused by forcing someone to play a different ball or the extra bit of strategy in deciding whether or not to pair two players that play the same ball or different.

And Tiger won using different balls, yes, but outside of the Pro V1s he started with, they were all balls built to his exact spec that fit his swing at that time. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Personally, I like the added element of uncertainty caused by forcing someone to play a different ball or the extra bit of strategy in deciding whether or not to pair two players that play the same ball or different.

i concur.  and, it just goes to show you what a colossal fuck up Hal Sutton made deciding to pair Tiger and Phil without giving them sufficient lead time.

based on the golf balls our guys use, the pods and predicted pairings make even more sense.

1632354725273.jpeg

Ryder Cup 2021: American fans, please be on your best behavior. It will make the Europeans furious

By Joel Beall        September 22, 2021

HAVEN, Wis. — It is Ryder Cup week, a week that, while special in this country, is sacrosanct in Europe, for it’s a celebration of a continent’s pastime. We, of course, are not referring to golf, but the Europeans’ love of chastising the American golf fan.

Oh, how they do enjoy dressing in their ceremonial white wigs—headpieces that harken to a bygone era when England mattered on the geopolitical stage—and turning on the tele to hear reports of poor conduct from a Yankee gallery. “Mmmmmm, not very proper behavior, I see,” they hiss as they bite into those day-old gas station bread bricks they call “biscuits.” And boy, are they especially hungry for what’s on tap at Whistling Straits. After all, Team Europe is likely to get bounced from Wisconsin, and with Patrick Reed not here and Bryson DeChambeau now yelling “Fore!” we’re pretty sure the only reason the European media cognoscenti showed up is to fill Lake Michigan with enough sanctimony at the first catcall to flood Sheboygan.

Which is why we are asking, nay, imploring American fans this week at Whistling Straits:

Please, don’t be jackasses.

Listen, it’s not been a banner year for fan behavior on the PGA Tour, and the provincial nature of national team events tend to conjure xenophobic and abhorent reactions in the delusioned name of patriotism. The boorish behavior at the 2016 Ryder Cup testifies to that. But there is a better way, a way that doesn’t involve British tabloids accusing Americans of being juvenile, which we find ironic, given said tabloids are currently ridiculing Prince Harry and Megan Markle for the audacity of posing for Time magazine.

You may be asking how to act. Well, sometimes the best examples are the worst examples. In short, don't be like soccer hooligans, a sport Google tells us is called “not real football” in Europe. Granted, you may wonder why hooligan culture is often romanticized over there while way, way less aggressive behavior here is shamed. In their defense, if you devoted your life to following a game that involved 90 minutes of nothingness, you’d want to smash beer bottles over your head and fight strangers, too. Still, golf is not soccer, so please, no yelling profanities at children of the opposing fan base while wearing scarves.

Speaking of yelling, don’t yell! At least not in the backswings of players. This may seem like a simple concept, yet a European fan did just that to Tiger Woods on the 72nd hole during the final round of the 2018 Open at Carnoustie. We know it’s a European fan because if said fan was found to be from the States and said towards a Euro player it would have been grounds for reigniting the American Revolution.

In fact, don’t yell anything negative, period, for this is supposed to be an exhibition of goodwill. You may think ridiculing a player is funny, but that is funny in the way Ricky Gervais is funny, which is to say not funny at all.

Also, don’t streak. Americans don’t really do that anyway but it’s worth mentioning that Mark Roberts, who ran across the hallowed grounds of St. Andrews in his birthday suit at the 1995 Open, is considered a Liverpool icon.

Good behavior is not just the right thing to do, it could actually be weaponized. Ian Poulter, a man who takes American umbrage and turns it into renewable energy, has been treated nicely this week. “The U.S. fans have been brilliant so far,” Poulter said Wednesday. “They really have. They're wishing me well. Not too well, but they're wishing me well, which is quite nice. That hasn't always been the case, but so far so good.” Poulter has been a destroyer of worlds in this event, a question the Americans have tried to answer but never can. Maybe the way to revert him back to being mortal is to treat him like a human.

Besides, how can you be mean to this European team? They’re a bunch of good lads! Heck, nearly all of them play and live in America, proving just which area of the world is truly the best.

Look, we get why Europeans love to hate us. Paul Azinger referred to their tour as second rate, the most popular British TV show is about an American football coach and we mentioned that thing about gaining independence from them, yes? And we understand you want to do everything in your power to bring the cup back to these shores.

But if you really want to do your part, be better. Because while the taste of victory is sweet, the greatest pleasure is doing what your critics think you cannot do. Especially when it forces your critics to dismount off their g******* high horses.

_120634240_ryder.jpg 

Home advantage has also proved to be key recently, with only two away victories - for Europe in 2004 and 2012 - in the past 11 events.

"I think winning any Ryder Cup is huge and it's a monumental achievement for all that are involved," said Europe's Rory McIlroy.

"But winning a Ryder Cup on the road has become more meaningful.

"We're coming in here as underdogs with a lot of things stacked against us, so I think that would make it even more of an achievement."

With up to 40,000 home fans expected daily at Whistling Straits, and virtually zero European support because of tough US travel rules, there is set to be a partisan atmosphere in Wisconsin.

_120657203_whistling_straits.jpg The seventh - a 221-yard par three - is one of many visually-breathtaking holes on the Wisconsin coast

_120646359_thomas.jpg Justin Thomas says the United States team are enjoying "the brotherhood, the camaraderie" of a special week

_120646357_europe.jpg The European team spirit is not something the players have "to work on", says Lee Westwood. The Englishman adds: "It's just there."

Edited by LTtxfan

2021 Ryder Cup dates, schedule of events

All times Eastern

Opening ceremony -- Thursday, Sept. 23

Live TV coverage: 5-8 p.m. ET Golf Channel
Live stream online: 5-8 p.m. ET fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 1 -- Friday, Sept. 24

Session 1 (fourballs): 8 a.m. ET
Session 2 (foursomes): 1:45 p.m. ET

Live TV coverage: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET Golf Channel
Live stream online: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 2 -- Saturday, Sept. 25

Session 1 (fourballs) starts: 8 a.m. ET
Session 2 (foursomes) starts: 1:45 p.m. ET

Early TV coverage: 8-9 a.m. ET Golf Channel

Live TV coverage: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET NBC
Live stream online: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 3 -- Sunday, Sept. 26

Singles: 12 p.m. ET

Live TV coverage: 12-6 p.m. ET NBC
Live stream online: 6 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Trophy presentation / closing ceremony: Live on RyderCup.com

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2021 Ryder Cup dates, schedule of events

All times Eastern

Opening ceremony -- Thursday, Sept. 23

Live TV coverage: 5-8 p.m. ET Golf Channel
Live stream online: 5-8 p.m. ET fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 1 -- Friday, Sept. 24

Session 1 (fourballs): 8 a.m. ET
Session 2 (foursomes): 1:45 p.m. ET

Live TV coverage: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET Golf Channel
Live stream online: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 2 -- Saturday, Sept. 25

Session 1 (fourballs) starts: 8 a.m. ET
Session 2 (foursomes) starts: 1:45 p.m. ET

Early TV coverage: 8-9 a.m. ET Golf Channel

Live TV coverage: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET NBC
Live stream online: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Day 3 -- Sunday, Sept. 26

Singles: 12 p.m. ET

Live TV coverage: 12-6 p.m. ET NBC
Live stream online: 6 a.m. - 1 p.m. ET on fuboTV (Try for free) and RyderCup.com

Trophy presentation / closing ceremony: Live on RyderCup.com

i don't know where you're getting this from, but the Ryder Cup site says foursomes are being playing in the morning sessions and fourballs in the afternoon.  

Friday, September 24
Morning Matches (Foursome)
7:05 AM, 7:21 AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

Afternoon Matches (Fourball)
12:10 PM, 12:26 PM, 12:42 PM, 12:58 PM

Play concludes at approximately 6:30 PM

Saturday, September 25
7:05 AM, 7:21AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

https://www.rydercup.com/spectator-guide

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

i don't know where you're getting this from, but the Ryder Cup site says foursomes are being playing in the morning sessions and fourballs in the afternoon.  

Friday, September 24
7:05 AM, 7:21 AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

Saturday, September 25
7:05 AM, 7:21AM, 7:37 AM, 7:53 AM

https://www.rydercup.com/spectator-guide

It came from CBS.  Also earlier in the week, Golf Channel ticker showed 4-Ball in morning, and Foursomes in afternoon.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2021-ryder-cup-dates-schedule-of-events-format-rules-teams-captains-picks-tv-coverage/ 

But this shows Foursomes in morning and Fourball in afternoon

https://golf.com/news/2021-ryder-cup-schedule-daily-format/?amp=1

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

looks more like a euro course more than a US course. poor choice, imo 

If by "Euro" course, you mean links, Whistling Straights is not that. It looks linksy but it's not - like Kiawah looks linksy but isn't. You're not going to be running shots up to the green here, it's still played in the air - fly it high, land it soft is the name of the game.

If you're meaning the weather, then yes, the weather is distinctly a Euro advantage if it's going to be 20+ MPH winds off the lake. Benign conditions and this is a perfect setup for the bomb and gouge American team.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Jordan has played well in Fourball & Foursomes...

Jordan Spieth's Ryder Cup career record

• Career Ryder Cup record (Wins, Losses, Halves): 7-5-2 
  • Years Played: 2014, 2016, 2018
  • Total Matches: 14
  • Singles (W-L-H): 0-3-0
  • Foursomes (W-L-H): 2-1-2 
  • Four-balls (W-L-H): 5-1-0 

love me some jordan but walking along with him and justin a lot of those two days, j.t. carried him in paris.

53 minutes ago, sidis said:

love me some jordan but walking along with him and justin a lot of those two days, j.t. carried him in paris.

I know for certain that first fourball was 90% Jordan. He single-handedly built a 3 up lead for them.

The rest of the sessions are a blur of a disaster from the US so maybe you're right there. I do recall Jordan burying the final putt against a Poulter led team and then pounding his chest in Poulter-esque style.

That Jordan is a far cry from today's Jordan, too. That Jordan was in rapid decline, this Jordan is "back". I expect a lot from the Spieth/Thomas pairing and expect both to play at a high level. That might be the only thing I'm remotely confident about.

• Hook 'Em 1