Help Save An Old Negro League BallPark- Detroit

Post Oak

I came across this story about Jack White trying to restore an old Negro League ballpark in Detroit.  I'm a sucker for these kinds of things so I threw them a few bucks.  I'll never visit Hamtramck stadium but its got a great history and kids need a place to play ball.  These types of places should be remembered and saved imo.

Anyway if you're interested here's a couple of links to a story and a place to donate if you are so inclined. 

https://www.patronicity.com/project/restoring_historic_hamtramck_stadium_1#!/

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They should have saved Tiger Stadium.  Tiger Stadium was cooler than Wrigley and Fenway combined.

Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but that's the first thing I thought of.  If they couldn't even save Tiger Stadium I don't see much hope for this.

Hamtramck is a kickass neighborhood that is getting rapidly gentrified (like all of inner city DET). Traditionally its a polish/bangladeshi neighborhood, but there's a shit load of artists/preservationist types filling in the gaps. Worth saving IMO.

56 minutes ago, WBT said:

Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but that's the first thing I thought of.  If they couldn't even save Tiger Stadium I don't see much hope for this.

Nope.  I've never liked the Tigers, but that place is the coolest place I've ever been.  There was nothing else like sitting in the first few rows of the upper deck.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

They should have saved Tiger Stadium.  Tiger Stadium was cooler than Wrigley and Fenway combined.

Not saved but at least it's still a baseball field with the same dimensions as Tiger Stadium-

TheCorner_120.0.jpg

Which is better than what old Comiskey is now a parking lot-

chicago054.jpg

comiskey+plate+location.jpg

5 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Not saved but at least it's still a baseball field with the same dimensions as Tiger Stadium-

TheCorner_120.0.jpg

Which is better than what old Comiskey is now a parking lot-

chicago054.jpg

comiskey+plate+location.jpg

Meh...nobody liked old Comiskey, although I think most actually liked it better than the new POS they built to replace it, and nobody likes new Comiskey, and frankly, nobody really likes nor cares about the white sox one way or the other.  They should move to Vegas.  

Edited by pepper brooks

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

Meh...nobody liked old Comiskey, although I think most actually liked it better than the new POS they built to replace it, and nobody likes new Comiskey, and frankly, nobody really likes nor cares about the white sox one way or the other.  They should move to Vegas.  

Old Comiskey was better than Tiger Stadium. There I said it. 

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Don't do crack, son.

Ha, the first MLB game I ever saw was with my Dad, Brother and Uncle and we sat in the left field wall windows. As a kid I thought it was so cool being so close to the left fielders and having Ron Kittle talk to you between innings was pretty damn cool for an 8 year old. 

1f2a66ecff9e2784a55f6f9a7300aa79.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Home plate of Houston's old Buff Stadium was commemorated inside a Fingers furniture store.

Got dam:

On June 11, 1950 a death occurred at the ballpark during a game between Houston and the Tulsa Oilers when a fifty-year-old laundry worker, Sanford B. Twente, committed suicide there at the press box.[15] The incident was heard by those in the ballpark as well as those listening on television via KLEE-TV. Directly after the suicide, a camera broadcast television footage of the man slumped over. The police had been told a half-hour before the incident that the man had reported to a waitress that he would kill himself. Upon arriving at the television booth of the press box in the sixth inning of a game, Twente told broadcaster Dick Gottlieb "I got something to tell you." Gottlieb, motioned the man away, and continued commentary of the game. Instead of leaving, Twente sat himself between Gottlieb and a television engineer. As the engineer attempted to remove Twente from the press box, he revealed a pistol and shot himself. His body then fell across the engineer.

5 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Ha, the first MLB game I ever saw was with my Dad, Brother and Uncle and we sat in the left field wall windows. As a kid I thought it was so cool being so close to the left fielders and having Ron Kittle talk to you between innings was pretty damn cool for an 8 year old. 

OK, pejorative retracted. Those wall windows were pretty cool.