Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

something like a vice just screams "Harbor Freight" to me. 

Port city? Miami rub and tug black market ornamentals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

something like a vice just screams "Harbor Freight" to me. 

You need to start going to better stores, my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one from amazon. It was the deal of the dal a while back. I know it was cheap but it’s worked when I’ve needed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Asithappens

I believe today's Wiltons are Chinese made. If I were you, I'd check on Ebay and find an older American made vise. 5-6" is pretty big.

Here's a 4".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SCOUT-4-inch-Anvil-Style-Bench-Vise-with-Swivel-Base-Made-in-USA/123732373605?hash=item1ccf063065%3Ag%3AI9wAAOSwqExcr93l%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!78739!US!-1&LH_ItemCondition=4

 

 

 

Edited by Steel Shank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, Gil Bang said:

something like a vice just screams "Harbor Freight" to me. 

I bet 99% of the stuff in a Harbor Freight Store is made in China.  The other 1% split between Mexico and Taiwan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I bet 99% of the stuff in a Harbor Freight Store is made in China.  The other 1% split between Mexico and Taiwan.  

So is the shit in Home Depot or Lowes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vintage is the price friendly way to go.  I bought an old Craftsman that was made in Japan from a retiree for $20, it's probably close to twice my age.  There are a few options still made in North America like Veritas but you'll pay through the nose for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I got one from amazon. It was the deal of the dal a while back. I know it was cheap but it’s worked when I’ve needed it

I just checked mine. It’s a Yost. Claims it’s made in the USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the vise in the first link, a wood working vise and a bone crushing, steel bending vise my grand pappy left me. I love them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, but you have to have a vice to fix your vice.  Dude is handy, I'll give him that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's a Chas Parker I got for free from my dad who bought it for $5 at a garage sale in FL with the intention of making a few bucks off it at the scrap yard.  it has not been restored, but the beer has been opened.  works perfectly. 

IMG-5430.jpg

here's a Scout 4 1/2 holding up a piece of 2x2'  1/4" plate to go on my square firebox.  got it off eBay for about 30 bucks.

IMG-5423.jpg

 

Thanks for turning me into a vice nerd, Shank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
here's a Chas Parker I got for free from my dad who bought it for $5 at a garage sale in FL with the intention of making a few bucks off it at the scrap yard.  it has not been restored, but the beer has been opened.  works perfectly. 
IMG-5430.jpg
here's a Scout 4 1/2 holding up a piece of 2x2'  1/4" plate to go on my square firebox.  got it off eBay for about 30 bucks.
IMG-5423.jpg
 
Thanks for turning me into a vice nerd, Shank.
 

It's a slippery slope. I have two vices mounted, a few I've given away, and fe more sitting around. Restoring a vise is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need one. Will look for something on eBay or in the local online marketplace. Glad I didn't buy some piece of shit before seeing this thread. I do not enjoy wasting money on shit.

 

So vintage Wilton, Scout, Chas Parker...4-5"...anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craigslist that shit. You will come out miles ahead. 

Also search for vice, because. 

Edited by pops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The website Garage Journal has a wealth of info on vises. Here is a link to a 3500 page thread just on vises.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

Here is another that talks about the different types of vises and the parts. This will help you more than the one above.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

In addition to the Athol above, I have these as well:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top one cam with a workbench I bought on CL for $35.

The Wilton I restored and it's mt daily use. The Wiltons marked "Chicago" are older than the "Schiller Park". Factory moved sometime back in the 40s or 50s.

The last one was my first vintage vise. I think it was made in the late 30s or 40s.

Old American made vises are so much cooler than more expensive Chinese vises you can buy new today. It's no contest. Be a man and buy an old vise, fix it up, and y'all start a new life together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Okie State Ideally, if you can check out the vise inperson, you'll get a better feel how it operates. If you do buy off Ebay, make sure the seller accepts returns in case the vise doesn't function the way you want. Estate sales are also a good way to find old vises at a good price.

Also, 3-4" is plenty big unless you a blacksmith or welder. Over 4" starts getting very big, very heavy and more expensive.

Edited by Steel Shank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig Steel's Wilton, they are all vises of beauty, but man that is beautiful. I have my grand pappy's workbench and two of his vises, as said before. Put the the workbench on casters so I can use both vises for any situation.

c82ddea7cbb20478168a73fc022281e4.jpg6cbaaba94543704ae2c9d8bacc407378.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amen, Steel, I encourage everyone to clean up and fix up old tools. The older the tool, the more it was made to last. A bench vise is the perfect example of that, forget buying new, buy old and fix it up, they last, as you stated, for centuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

now you assholes have me searching craigslist for old vices

same...  my harbor freight vise has worked fine...  but it's days are numbered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great thread!

I have been on an anvil mission, those older anvils are crazy expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Okie State When you do, make one of these. They work great. This video doesn't really show it, but once you're done, if you turn your grinder around, it's much safer to sharpen with the wheel turning away from you. Other videos will show how it's done.

 

Edited by Steel Shank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anvil talk got me curious, I dont have one, my vises are enough for me, the work I do is mostly woodwork. Did some shopping around and have a friend with a birthday coming in the next week or two. He's more on the mechanic side, metal on metal violence, and a proper anvil is expensive, so I got him this here. Hell I might get me one as well, I like how it can be used as a guide/rest (see Steels video)be239301fc495404b00a6a90e2eeba77.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...