Wine

Hollywood

texas-hill-country-wine-map.jpg

While the wineries in TX are young,  i won't say in their infancy, the wine trail here in TX is vibrant and better/bigger than i ever considered or gave it credit for.  A few weekends back we hopped around doing tastings and thoroughly enjoyed our time.  Whether it was the tasting rooms from non Texas wineries or the Texas wineries we were pleasantly surprised.  I couldn't help but feel a bit proud of what are state is producing.  If you haven't been in recent years, take the short trip west, you won't be disappointed.  

I agree take a trip west to......California or Oregon! The Texas wine scene is horribad. It’s astounding what people will pay for crappy Texas wine!

Opened a 2002 Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon and 2003 Pride Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon for Father's Day dinner with the family.  No pics, sorry, but both were really nice.  Fully mature but plenty of fruit and wonderful aromas.  Just well made wines.  One from Rutherford floor (Neal) and the other with mountain fruit (Pride).  The Pride had a little more red fruit flavors and aromas (brighter) than the Neal, but both were rock solid.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, BearCountry11 said:

We loved Calais.  Did that one, William Chris, and Kuhlman to start the day and were very impressed.  Hilmy was also good.  After that our pallets were pretty done so we called it a day and ended with cocktails at The Stable (recommended).  

I liked the Stable, too.   nice little spot

On 6/17/2018 at 10:42 PM, milkman said:

I agree take a trip west to......California or Oregon! The Texas wine scene is horribad. It’s astounding what people will pay for crappy Texas wine!

horribad is a bit strong.   lots more serious winemakers and growers now than even just 5 years ago.   fairly rapid progress.   lots of shit in Cali, too, they just spend a lot of money on additives and manipulations to get that awesome spiked grape juice America so loves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bularry1 said:

horribad is a bit strong.   lots more serious winemakers and growers now than even just 5 years ago.   fairly rapid progress.   lots of shit in Cali, too, they just spend a lot of money on additives and manipulations to get that awesome spiked grape juice America so loves.

I would expect the best wines in Texas to be grown near Marfa (if they have vineyards there).

The altitude and the fluctuations in temperature from day to night should really be good for the grape. Also, I feel like it's practically desert out there (rocky soil to boot), so irrigation could be used to manipulate the grape so that it would be almost impossible to have a bad vintage.

I'd think that fall thunderstorms and hail would be the biggest threat to the grapes, but I can't imagine why that wouldn't be the best wine region in Texas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Still nowhere near age quality of Napa.  And the high-end makers, especially the small production guys, are not using "additives and manipulations."  What wine are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I would expect the best wines in Texas to be grown near Marfa (if they have vineyards there).

The altitude and the fluctuations in temperature from day to night should really be good for the grape. Also, I feel like it's practically desert out there (rocky soil to boot), so irrigation could be used to manipulate the grape so that it would be almost impossible to have a bad vintage.

I'd think that fall thunderstorms and hail would be the biggest threat to the grapes, but I can't imagine why that wouldn't be the best wine region in Texas.

I think there is one tiny vineyard out there.  The overwhelming majority of grapes are grown in the High Plains.

4 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Touche...To each their own.  Some of the hill country juice I tried years back was not drinkable.  I have heard decent things about Calais. 

13 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Still nowhere near age quality of Napa.  And the high-end makers, especially the small production guys, are not using "additives and manipulations."  What wine are you referring to?

First, I wasn't comparing any Texas wine to Spottswoode or stuff like that in Napa.   Secondly, regarding ageability, who knows, as that story has a long way to go to be told for Texas wines.  In general I would agree with you, but Texas wine making is in its infancy.

a lot of Napa wine, even some pretty high end stuff, has some heavy handed manipulation. There are a lot of processes to manipulate color, alc levels, acidity, etc.  Obviously, many don't, too, but the large scale production stuff I'm talking about.

12 hours ago, milkman said:

Touche...To each their own.  Some of the hill country juice I tried years back was not drinkable.  I have heard decent things about Calais. 

I've had a lot of awful hill country wine.  Just saying there are some producers doing much better work recently than even 5 years ago.  QPR still isn't great.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

First, I wasn't comparing any Texas wine to Spottswoode or stuff like that in Napa.   Secondly, regarding ageability, who knows, as that story has a long way to go to be told for Texas wines.  In general I would agree with you, but Texas wine making is in its infancy.

a lot of Napa wine, even some pretty high end stuff, has some heavy handed manipulation. There are a lot of processes to manipulate color, alc levels, acidity, etc.  Obviously, many don't, too, but the large scale production stuff I'm talking about.

Antifreeze-Wine-Screenshot.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 7:19 PM, Chewbacca said:

Holy shit, milkman even drinks wine on the beach!

Just spent almost a week camping down on Padre Island National Seashore, and drank pretty close to a boat-load of rose'.  It's so great for hot weather and seafood.

My new favorite value rose' is one called Zoe, from Greece.  

Domaine-Skouras-Rose-Zoe-750-ml_1.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...