Goo Punch

Rick Barnes thread

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick's last 4 years we went 80-57 with 3 tourney appearances, which is actually a pretty a damn good 4 year stretch within the context of Texas basketball history. The only thing that even makes those years so disappointing is the unprecedented success that we enjoyed under Rick Barnes prior to those 4 seasons. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but prior to Barnes' arrival at Texas I doubt we made 3 tourney appearances in 4 years more than probably once. Now that type of performance constitutes "a complete fucking joke". Thats simply a testament to what Barnes did here. 

We made it to the NCAAT 4 consecutive years twice under Penders. Of course, we were absolute dog crap before that. 

Not bad at all.  Always thought he'd have a similar career of Boeheim, a few more FF trips with possibly a title snuck in there.  I wanted him at UK after Tubby left, would've been interesting to see what he could do at basketball first school.  

He's a very good college hoops coach. Not elite, but very good, and even a great regular season coach. No shame in that at all. If he actually ever does win a title with Tennessee then he'll absolutely have to be considered a great, HOF coach. As it stands simply being a very good coach has Barnes in line to be the greatest coach in the history of two power conference programs. Not bad at all. 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick's last 4 years we went 80-57 with 3 tourney appearances, which is actually a pretty a damn good 4 year stretch within the context of Texas basketball history. The only thing that even makes those years so disappointing is the unprecedented success that we enjoyed under Rick Barnes prior to those 4 seasons. I don't have the numbers here in front of me, but prior to Barnes' arrival at Texas I doubt we made 3 tourney appearances in 4 years more than probably once. Now that type of performance constitutes "a complete fucking joke". Thats simply a testament to what Barnes did here. 

Dont disagree with any of that.  I like Barnes.  His first ~10 years set the standard for the last 4. 

But it's not wrong for fans to expect that level of success after a full continuous decade of excellence.

Being 1 of 68 entrants to a tournament shouldn't really be a high bar to clear (yes, i know arizona and ucla and others miss it from time to time).  Barnes didnt get fired because he couldnt get in the tourney... he got fired because in his last 4 years, he escaped the first round of the Tourney ONCE

Edited by 52-80

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Dont disagree with any of that.  I like Barnes.  His first ~10 years set the standard for the last 4. 

But it's not wrong for fans to expect that level of success after a full continuous decade of excellence.

Being 1 of 68 entrants to a tournament shouldn't really be a high bar to clear (yes, i know arizona and ucla and others miss it from time to time).  Barnes didnt get fired because he couldnt get in the tourney... he got fired because in his last 4 years, he escaped the first round of the Tourney ONCE

Why are you dissing our first round CBI loss?  That was abysmal.