Jon Stewart Knocks It Out of the Park

pepper brooks

"Man, hearing all week about how old Biden is, considering who he's running against, sure is infuriating and exhausting. But at least we have Jon Stewart to watch for the first time in nine years...."

(30 minutes later)

"oh" 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s a tired joke that simply ignores the reality of Biden’s performance and feeds into the right wings bullshit about how both sides suck.

I'm not sure that it does any of that. I think you're seeing monsters under the bed. It's pure delusion to be afraid that this kind of joke is going to sway anyone away from voting for Biden. He's not out there arguing for a replacement, he's throwing his hands up and wondering how we got to the point where we have two 900 year old dinosaurs running for office.

As a left-wing person, the "no jokes" arm of the left is honestly the most annoying to deal with, I swear to god.

Edited by Brian Fantana

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

he's throwing his hands up and wondering how we got to the point where we have two 900 year old dinosaurs running for office.

This is the whole point. One of those dinosaurs has actually been a good president, and the other is an absolute fucking monster who attempted a coup on his way out the door last time. So we don't really have a lot of patience with the whole "just a couple of old guys" thing. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not sure that it does any of that. I think you're seeing monsters under the bed. It's pure delusion to be afraid that this kind of joke is going to sway anyone away from voting for Biden. He's not out there arguing for a replacement, he's throwing his hands up and wondering how we got to the point where we have two 900 year old dinosaurs running for office.

As a left-wing person, the "no jokes" arm of the left is honestly the most annoying to deal with, I swear to god.

I’m not sure why you think Jon Stewart has no influence.
Throwing his hands up and wandering about how old they are ignores the performance. That’s my point. It’s like making a joke that Tom Brady was too old to play QB. It’s lazy. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This is the whole point. One of those dinosaurs has actually been a good president, and the other is an absolute fucking monster who attempted a coup on his way out the door last time. So we don't really have a lot of patience with the whole "just a couple of old guys" thing. 

Exactly right.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

No I get it. I just disagree that it's an unacceptable joke to make. Especially if you consider that Jon Stewart absolutely knows what a piece of shit Trump is and isn't advocating for a replacement for Biden, and no part of that show is going to sway anyone away from voting Biden. It's just a ridiculous thing to get mad about.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

No I get it. I just disagree that it's an unacceptable joke to make. Especially if you consider that Jon Stewart absolutely knows what a piece of shit Trump is and isn't advocating for a replacement for Biden, and no part of that show is going to sway anyone away from voting Biden. It's just a ridiculous thing to get mad about.

No one thinks it’s unacceptable but Jon Stewart should be more creative comedically than Joe Rogan

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The focus on "how did we get here?" shouldn't have revolved around their ages, but instead that the republicans are actually going to nominate a monster rapist who is facing 91 felony counts. Then you can toss in some old jokes and no one gives a shit. It just came off as incredibly tone deaf.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not unacceptable. But beginning his return back to late night comedy by drawing equivalences between the two parties, in 20fucking24, was some real 1998 level shit. Which is why I said there's still something he just fundamentally doesn't get about the American right.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The focus on "how did we get here?" shouldn't have revolved around their ages, but instead that the republicans are actually going to nominate a monster rapist who is facing 91 felony counts. Then you can toss in some old jokes and no one gives a shit. It just came off as incredibly tone deaf.

The very first part of the intro to the Indecision 2024 stuff was him making fun of the special counsel report on Biden by turning it around on Donald Trump and his failchildren instead. I just don't see why I should be outraged about this. Was it lazy? Sure. Is it going to sway voters against Biden? Abso-fucking-lutely not. Any moron that isn't going to vote for Biden because he's too old is already never voting Democrat.

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I’d like to see a Stewart/Carlson debate. 

Well you're in luck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think the issue is that he didn't stick the landing.  Framing the discussion as merely "two 900 year old dinosaurs running for office" is a fine and valid observation as long as there is some sort of acknowledgement of the unique and unprecedented danger that Trump presents.  Without that second part, it's just the same both-sides bullshit that has normalized Trump to the masses.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think the issue is that he didn't stick the landing.  Framing the discussion as merely "two 900 year old dinosaurs running for office" is a fine and valid observation as long as there is some sort of acknowledgement of the unique and unprecedented danger that Trump presents.  Without that second part, it's just the same both-sides bullshit that has normalized Trump to the masses.

I agree he should have gone in harder on Trump than he did. I just think the "criticism" of Biden was incredibly mild.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Jon Stewart returns from the sidelines after 9 years to join the "news" during an election year, and the only people who are pissed off about the content is left wingers.... "Both sides" types seem to like him, and may keep coming back to listen. Step back and let the Deep State Psyop play out slowly over the summer. Jon will have a bunch of pot smoking "libertarians" voting blue by September and change enough third party votes to turn North Carolina blue and oust Ted Cruz. Let the man cook, he knows what he's doing.  

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be shocked if Jon Stewart's motivation to return had anything to do with his desire to keep the old engine running, make some more coin (as if he needs any), etc.  It's a political move.  Specifically, an anti-Trump move.  In that context, he shouldn't be feeding us what amounts to stupid right-wing Facebook memes.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Jon Stewart returns from the sidelines after 9 years to join the "news" during an election year, and the only people who are pissed off about the content is left wingers.... "Both sides" types seem to like him, and may keep coming back to listen. Step back and let the Deep State Psyop play out slowly over the summer. Jon will have a bunch of pot smoking "libertarians" voting blue by September and change enough third party votes to turn North Carolina blue and oust Ted Cruz. Let the man cook, he knows what he's doing.  

I do agree (hope?) that this is his play.  Reel in people who would otherwise not pay attention at all, or maybe not until October, and then re-educate them over the summer and early fall.  It could work.  I'll try anything at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

The very first part of the intro to the Indecision 2024 stuff was him making fun of the special counsel report on Biden by turning it around on Donald Trump and his failchildren instead. I just don't see why I should be outraged about this. Was it lazy? Sure. Is it going to sway voters against Biden? Abso-fucking-lutely not. Any moron that isn't going to vote for Biden because he's too old is already never voting Democrat.

Well you're in luck

this ^ is the greatest goddamn thing to ever happen in the history of things.