Jon Stewart Knocks It Out of the Park

pepper brooks

Good episode last night ripping on Tucker.  I liked he crystallization of the new us-v-them.  “ it used to be capitalist and democracy against communism. Now it’s woke versus non-woke. And if that’s the arrangement, brutal dictators end up becoming your conservative allies.”

Yeah, that was great

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Good episode last night ripping on Tucker.  I liked he crystallization of the new us-v-them.  “ it used to be capitalist and democracy against communism. Now it’s woke versus non-woke. And if that’s the arrangement, brutal dictators end up becoming your conservative allies.”

i hadnt heard that angle before last night, so that was pretty great.

but overall, the episode wasn't as funny as last Monday.

he does look old but i'll say that his funny hasn't dropped as much as a lot of comedians when they get old.  i've always though folks like jim carrey whose humor depends so much on being outrageous and physical goes from funny to embarrassing once they get long in the tooth.  jon has a lot of that with his over-the-top reactions, but has avoided the downturn.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

he does look old but i'll say that his funny hasn't dropped as much as a lot of comedians when they get old.  i've always though folks like jim carrey whose humor depends so much on being outrageous and physical goes from funny to embarrassing once they get long in the tooth.  jon has a lot of that with his over-the-top reactions, but has avoided the downturn.

You’re not wrong about physical / outrageous comics.

But the smart ones tend to become bitter and that makes them unfunny as satire stops becoming satire when it’s mean.

He still comes at it from a place of hope and is putting up the mirror to society in a an effort to change it for the better.

I look at someone like George Carlin as someone who towards the end no longer had any hope. He was bitter and it came across in not being that funny anymore

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

But the smart ones tend to become bitter and that makes them unfunny as satire stops becoming satire when it’s mean.

He still comes at it from a place of hope and is putting up the mirror to society in a an effort to change it for the better.

I look at someone like George Carlin as someone who towards the end no longer had any hope. He was bitter and it came across in not being that funny anymore

Yeah but he called Biden old so he's bad.

On 2/16/2024 at 3:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't have a problem with Stewart leveling criticism at #bothsides, where warranted.  Gig Biden for the Afghanistan withdrawal, for instance.  (Yeah, I know, Trump's plan.  Biden pulled the trigger.)  Gig him on, I don't know, still too high fuel and grocery prices.  But for goodness' sake, don't feed into the "too old" angle, because (a) he's not much older than Trump and (b) it's not clear that Biden is particularly deficient when it comes to running the government.

So…Gig ‘em?

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Counterpoint:

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How old are you?

Here’s George Clooney in 2003:

IMG_1710.png.fde1cec0c3e835eac004deb97a7a235a.png

Here’s Clooney in 2023:

IMG_1709.thumb.png.0102b8a9879f42e162976fc314854fd7.png

Buckle up, Sparky. Life comes at you fast. 

Yeah but why does the brunet he’s banging keep keep getting younger.

Does George Clooney’s ejaculate have some sort of Benjamin Button quality?

Was Ponce De Leon just barking up the wrong tree?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Clooney got older. Girlfriends got younger.

The instances of men trading their girlfriend or wife for an older model are the exception, not the rule. That fact shouldn’t be surprising or controversial at all. That’s just millions of years of evolution at work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not sure if Clooney is the right example here. No Paul Rudd?

He just needs some Just For Men and he'll look basically the same as he did 20 years ago.

So, somewhere in your 20’s? Early 30’s at the oldest?

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not sure if Clooney is the right example here. No Paul Rudd?

He just needs some Just For Men and he'll look basically the same as he did 20 years ago.

I’ll bet my monthly mortgage payment that Paul Rudd has a painting in his attic that looks old AF.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Dude died at 32 fucking years old, man.

Sadly so. He came to my mind because, even though he was a couple of years older than me, he seemed as angry and bitter about the state of humanity as was I. And he was breathtakingly hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Don't think Stewart can recover from that both sides horseshit from his first show. People had already forgotten about The Daily Show after the Noah debacle and this is unlikely to bring folks back.

Anyone who claims he is bothsidesing is a complete fucking idiot. It's such annoyingly stupid liberal shit to gnash your teeth about any perceived slight against Biden. It's even worse to concern troll about it like I suspect you are doing.

It's not bothsidesing to make a joke about how fucking old Joe Biden is. He is fucking old, who gives a shit. It's funny. It's also a completely legitimate thing to bring up. That doesn't mean he's saying they're the same just because Trump is also old as shit.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Don't think Stewart can recover from that both sides horseshit from his first show. People had already forgotten about The Daily Show after the Noah debacle and this is unlikely to bring folks back.

You’re really on top of things tonight. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:55 AM, wildcat09 said:

I'll always have a soft spot for Stewart, but he's fundamentally still the same guy who did the rally to restore sanity. There's still something he just very fundamentally doesn't grasp about the modern right and his "most of us are sane people with generally the same values and we should be able to find common ground" schtick is just absolutely not adequate for the current times. 

I don't think he thinks that at all. 

He's basically saying the truth of the matter while the people getting mad on either side believe the truth doesn't matter. Only defeating the evil side at all costs. 

It's the slippery slope of increasing tribal politics. The Republicans started it and went all in on it and now we're in a spot where sanity, truth, and logic doesn't matter. Just one side trying to turn to fascism and the other side trying to defeat fascism. 

We and Stewart know trump is a traitor and even if Biden has full blown dementia he'd be a far better candidate than trump. Maybe Stewart gets to that or maybe he feels it just doesn't make good entertaining TV to do that. I tend to think he's waiting until the criminal trials get going to really get into it. 

A question I have is how have the Democrats not cultivated a better candidate than an 80 year old for this election? Biden himself said he planned to be a one term president before the last election. He knew then he was a stop gap to defeat trump. He's an absolutely terrible candidate to be running at his age and that's just a fact. The way Stewart ended that first show told me he's disappointed the Democrats didn't do better to ensure the savior of the republic isn't an 80 yr old looking older and more senile by the day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Marc Maron talks about this a lot.  I like him a lot, but find him at times to be an over the top jackass.  

15 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I don't think he thinks that at all. 

He's basically saying the truth of the matter while the people getting mad on either side believe the truth doesn't matter. Only defeating the evil side at all costs. 

It's the slippery slope of increasing tribal politics. The Republicans started it and went all in on it and now we're in a spot where sanity, truth, and logic doesn't matter. Just one side trying to turn to fascism and the other side trying to defeat fascism. 

We and Stewart know trump is a traitor and even if Biden has full blown dementia he'd be a far better candidate than trump. Maybe Stewart gets to that or maybe he feels it just doesn't make good entertaining TV to do that. I tend to think he's waiting until the criminal trials get going to really get into it. 

A question I have is how have the Democrats not cultivated a better candidate than an 80 year old for this election? Biden himself said he planned to be a one term president before the last election. He knew then he was a stop gap to defeat trump. He's an absolutely terrible candidate to be running at his age and that's just a fact. The way Stewart ended that first show told me he's disappointed the Democrats didn't do better to ensure the savior of the republic isn't an 80 yr old looking older and more senile by the day. 

Well yeah, everyone thought trump would just go away. Then…he didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

it's not that Dems don't have better candidates, but rather what candidates do they have that America is ready for?  They have a bunch of great candidates that won't go anywhere because they're women, gay, black...Biden is just a centrist really, with some progressive points peppered in.  America still feels more comfortable with grandpa white dude than somebody they've siloed their families from in real life.  Democrats had to coalesce around a candidate that they thought would bridge whatever divide existed.  He's experienced, hired the right people and didn't stray too far left-like reparation discussions like Warren did.  He's also brought it when needed.  

The bad--the executive office ages those that give a shit and try to do a good job, and he's already pretty old.  A vote for Biden really brings an added critical eye to his VP, since there's a very real chance they take over.  I wish the USA was reaching an enlightened American Renaissance, but instead we'd rather censor books, and steer towards a religious secularism.  So I expect it will be a while still before Dems get their best minds into the Executive office.  

All in all, Biden has been great and I think he knocked it out of the park for his term.  I wish he'd work to try and fill in other positions such as replace DeJoy with a new post master general.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Yuck.

IMG_1726.thumb.png.021fa81269d0f81c7674113b94c3fa78.png

IMG_1725.png.04e8a2d931c3b98b904ed51f0b81df5f.png

Thinks Obama is president, Nikki Haley was in charge of security on Jan 6, Hungary borders Ukraine, Windmills cause cancer and kill whales, nuclear weapons might stop hurricanes, injecting disinfectant might be a good way to cure viral infection, and so on and so on and so on. But it’s Biden who’s old and senile? Puh-lease.