The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

49 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

That’s an interesting guitar, didn’t know it was a thing.

look at this fucking tele

IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.2bd011cd32ea512b82b7be9c0c15d2af.jpeg

I called Gibson and they verified the serial number. He had it up for 5k but wants 3… is this a scam I haven’t bought on market place before  

22 minutes ago, topochico said:

Could it be stolen? It seems like a weird guitar to try and make a counterfeit. 250 limited edition Elvis model is pretty niche. Have you talked with the guy. Can he show that he is the rightful owner? 

I’m gonna ask some more questions that I’m gonna ask now… lol

I'm pretty intrigued by this little Martin I discovered while looking at D-28's the other day.

000JR-10e Shawn Mendez

All actual hardwood tonewoods, including an ebony fingerboard& spruce top. Slightly smaller 000 body style with 24" scale neck. Great looking, sturdy gig bag. They even throw in Fishman electronics. It's listed at $799, which is already an incredible price I think, but my Sweetwater rep quoted me $697 for one. Kinda annoying that they put his signature at the 3rd fret, but since my real name is Shawn anyway - sweet as.

Every year I go to Croatia for a few weeks and I always wish I had a guitar there, so this looks like it would be a great little traveler, and at a price that I could live with it if it somehow did get damaged. Plus great for road trips, camping, etc.

I'll give you guys a better review once i own one.

@Celery Man - I think this one would be of interest to you as well. I know you are also a fan of the 000 bodies.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/000Jr10eSM--martin-000jr-10e-shawn-mendes-signature-acoustic-electric-guitar-naturalimages (9).jpgdownload (7).jpgMendes-h.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh man, that would be a perfect couch guitar for now, kid guitar for later.

The ebony fretboard is cool - I know a lot of the problems with ebony harvesting is how much they leave behind because it's not perfectly black. So, cool to get to use a super premium hardwood on an affordable guitar like that in a responsible way.

• Like 1

Damn you, Sweetwater. I was bored at work, browsing 60's Strats yesterday. 

Today I get the phone call...

"Hey, this is Matt from Sweetwater. I noticed you had your eyes on a 60's Strat."

"C'mon, man. I just bought a guitar from you two weeks ago."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nah, it's an actual wood. It will occur to me at some point
I think it's ebony w stripesyou're thinking of. As Celery mentioned, ebony is not scarce. Pure black ebony is scarce and that's what people expect to see on a high end instrument. There is no difference in striped ebony other than appearance. I did the Taylor tour years ago and they spoke a lot about it.

Speaking of tours, I also saw this while on the sweetwater site. Throw in the army of sales engineers they employ and that's quite an operation they've built. I was only disappointed that they didnt show me when the candy gets thrown in.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Well there’s richlite, but that’s a synthetic material (also used in skateparks, I think some of my cutting boards are richlite, etc).

36 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I think it's ebony w stripesyou're thinking of. As Celery mentioned, ebony is not scarce. Pure black ebony is scarce and that's what people expect to see on a high end instrument. There is no difference in striped ebony other than appearance. I did the Taylor tour years ago and they spoke a lot about it.

Speaking of tours, I also saw this while on the sweetwater site. Throw in the army of sales engineers they employ and that's quite an operation they've built. I was only disappointed that they didnt show me when the candy gets thrown in.

So I had to Google because it was driving me crazy. African Blackwood. It's a rosewood subspecies

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, this happened quick.

NGD!

I said I would re-invest in a D-28 or HD-28 and it hit me while I slept that it should be a D-28 to match the 000-28. So I went to my local Guitar Center this afternoon itching to put my fingers on one.

All I can say was it was meant to be.

Walk in the Martin room and there were none to be found. Walk up to the counter to ask and its the same guy who gave me a killer deal on my Rickenbacker last year - standup guy. Looks in the computer, there's one in the back that just came in.

While he's back there, I run into one of the punk kids i know from the neighborhood - I had no idea he worked there.

We unpack the Martin, I play for a while, finally go to ask about price. Guy says, "I remember that you bought that Rick from me last year and you'er friends with Frankie, let me see how I can hook you up." He comes back w a price well below what Sweetwater had quoted, so I handed over the plastic. Even let me take the box to replace the one I sent the Hummingbird in!

Side tale - as I'm playing the Martin this kid, maybe 9 or 10, asks me if I was playing a Robert Johnson tune. I was! Kid says he loves Robert Johnson. Next I see him across the room with his mom playing some pointy shredder guitar, and the kid could play. Warms my heart when I see kids taking it up like that.

20230811_171013.thumb.jpg.37a69a2351feb6a255308ee997841592.jpg20230811_171017.thumb.jpg.8154e78eb715ee315aa86e5bde3fbeb1.jpg20230811_171111.thumb.jpg.d913a0f1cb0cf65648fbd84ffa6b3e75.jpg20230811_171134.thumb.jpg.ceffe9a73354466df74fe025494f81b4.jpg
Hell yeah. Nothing else like a big rosewood Martin.
Or a little one.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Funny you say that. Part of why I went to GC was that all the ones on Sweetwater had bright tops and I wanted to see if GC had a darker one - and in the store I thought it was darker than it is. Hope it darkens a little as well.

On the other hand, the back and sides on the D are darker than the 000.

Not sure which thread to put this question on... I'm curious how much interest there would be in a songwriting group.  And if we had one, how would it function?  

Prompts would have to allow for a variety of styles.

Songs due on the first?

Publish them on this website, somewhere else, in person, ?

Maybe have one song due on the first of each month through New Year's?

I would maybe be down to run something for the rest of 2023.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Not sure which thread to put this question on... I'm curious how much interest there would be in a songwriting group.  And if we had one, how would it function?  

Songs due on the first?

That actually sounds way fun. It would be like a 180 from how I've always worked in the past

5 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Songs due on the first?

I’m not sure how well I’d be able to stick with it and I’ve never been good on lyrics but that would be interesting.

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Songs due on the first?

I am generally supportive of the notion and would at least tune in, but I couldn’t adhere to that schedule given life.  Why the deadlines?  Are you wanting them as a forcing function to getting some writing/composing done?

What I’ve wanted and have considered starting outside Surly is something like a cross between BNI and Alcoholics Anonymous for independent songwriters/musicians.  Just a group of people who take their music seriously enough to have some personal goals about it. Keep it small, no more than a dozen people, and you have to present your musical goals when you join.  The group would meet for an hour on Zoom once a month to check in on everyone’s progress towards their goals and brainstorm whatever issues/road blocks anyone might be having.  Song writing, demos and feedback could be part of it, but I probably envisioned talking about recording, gigging, marketing, publishing, monetizing, etc… as much/more.

Edited by Goredho

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

I am generally supportive of the notion and would at least tune in, but I couldn’t adhere to that schedule given life.  Why the deadlines?  Are you wanting them as a forcing function to getting some writing/composing done?

What I’ve wanted and have considered starting outside Surly is something like a cross between BNI and Alcoholics Anonymous for independent songwriters/musicians.  Just a group of people who take their music seriously enough to have some personal goals about it. Keep it small, no more than a dozen people, and you have to present your musical goals when you join.  The group would meet for an hour on Zoom once a month to check in on everyone’s progress towards their goals and brainstorm whatever issues/road blocks anyone might be having.  Song writing, demos and feedback could be part of it, but I probably envisioned talking about recording, gigging, marketing, publishing, monetizing, etc… as much/more.

The time I've spent with a guitar in my hand - or just doing anything creative - has probably declined to an all-time low in 2023.  I've had a constant feeling of being overwhelmed and stressed and starved for time.  Some of that is real and some of it is probably imagined - i.e. I haven't been super productive with the time that I *do* have.  So for me, offering to coordinate a writing group is just an attempt to salvage what's left of the year, and to show some grit even though I'm not feeling super gritty.  

I'm just trying to create some self-accountability.  

In the past, when I was trying to finish an album, I would book a studio/engineer and a rhythm section, with the goal of doing drums/bass and scratch vocals/guitar on four songs in a day.  Invariably, when I confirmed the session, I only had 1.5 songs and then maybe a riff and the fourth song usually didn't exist at all, and then I'd have two or three weeks before the recording date to get them done.  I've written several songs at 3am when the band is showing up at 10.  

I subscribe fully to the Duke Ellington observation:  "Don't give me more time.  I don't need time.  I need a deadline." 

Anyway, I've never been part of a songwriting group, much less led one, but here's what I'm imagining:

1.  Every month, you get a three or four prompts to pick from.  A couple of them can be specific (tempo or key or style) and a couple can be broad (topics or a short lyrical phrase that you have to use).  Everyone can throw one out or email me suggestions and I'll come up with them.  There are a shit ton of "songwriting prompt" websites to steal from.

2.  An iPhone recording is probably going to be the default format.  If y'all want to do zoom or in-person, we could do that too.  We *could* start a thread in this forum, but I imagine people (maybe including me) would be more comfortable sharing things on a zoom call or an email chain.  

3.  Something due on the first of the month from now through Jan 1.  That's a fairly self-limited commitment, and seems both ambitious and achievable.  I would LOVE to have five songs done or semi-formed by New Year's

By comparison, the Mraz/Schneider song game - which I was never part of - had a song due every Friday, and you were kicked out of the group if you didn't submit something.  

https://www.npr.org/2013/11/24/246755925/for-a-few-musicians-beating-songwriters-block-is-all-in-the-game

One song a month is a WAY lower bar, though maybe we still have to use the threat of an Amish shunning in order to hold everyone accountable.

I'm open to suggestions for a format that is most inclusive and most helpful.

Tell you what, if you want "in," then "like" this post with the Gritty Fuck Around and Find Out icon.  I don't know what's a reasonable quorum (maybe eight people minimum?).  If we get a quorum after a few days, I'll PM everyone, and I imagine it will probably be easier to operate offline, like we'll start a new email chain for each month.

In the meantime, change your fucking strings and get your gummies ready.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

The time I've spent with a guitar in my hand - or just doing anything creative - has probably declined to an all-time low in 2023.  I've had a constant feeling of being overwhelmed and stressed and starved for time.  Some of that is real and some of it is probably imagined - i.e. I haven't been super productive with the time that I *do* have.  So for me, offering to coordinate a writing group is just an attempt to salvage what's left of the year, and to show some grit even though I'm not feeling super gritty.  

In the past, when I was trying to finish an album, I would book a studio/engineer and a rhythm section, with the goal of doing drums/bass and scratch vocals/guitar on four songs in a day.  Invariably, when I confirmed the session, I only had 1.5 songs and then maybe a riff and the fourth song usually didn't exist at all, and then I'd have two or three weeks before the recording date to get them done.  I've written several songs at 3am when the band is showing up at 10.  

I subscribe fully to the Duke Ellington observation:  "Don't give me more time.  I don't need time.  I need a deadline." 

Anyway, I've never been part of a songwriting group, much less led one, but here's what I'm imagining:

1.  Every month, you get a three or four prompts to pick from.  A couple of them can be specific (tempo or key or style) and a couple can be broad (topics or a short lyrical phrase that you have to use).  Everyone can throw one out or email me suggestions and I'll come up with them.  There are a shit ton of "songwriting prompt" websites to steal from.

2.  An iPhone recording is probably going to be the default format.  If y'all want to do zoom or in-person, we could do that too.  We *could* start a thread in this forum, but I imagine people (maybe including me) would be more comfortable sharing things on a zoom call or an email chain.  

3.  Something due on the first of the month from now through Jan 1.  That's a fairly self-limited commitment, and seems both ambitious and achievable.  I would LOVE to have five songs done or semi-formed by New Year's

By comparison, the Mraz/Schneider song game - which I was never part of - had a song due every Friday, and you were kicked out of the group if you didn't submit something.  

https://www.npr.org/2013/11/24/246755925/for-a-few-musicians-beating-songwriters-block-is-all-in-the-game

One song a month is a WAY lower bar, though maybe we still have to use the threat of an Amish shunning in order to hold everyone accountable.

Tell you what, if you want "in," then "like" this post with the Gritty Fuck Around and Find Out icon.  I don't know what's a reasonable quorum (maybe eight people minimum?).  If we get a quorum after a few days, I'll PM everyone, and I imagine it will probably be easier to operate offline, like we'll start a new email chain for each month.

I mean I like every post with Gritty bro.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

That makes sense.  I might join in later after the summer live music season ends here (and assuming there’s a spot available).

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm feeling part of that. I'm super stressed about a lot of things lately, but having time isn't a problem. I have time. I just can't seem to get myself in gear to actually produce something instead of just thinking and dreaming about it.

It definitely is best to have some kind of schedule to keep with some kind of deadline. I try to decide my own schedule or deadline to do some actual guitar playing, art work or something else creative or constructive. But it doesn't work that well for me if I'm the only one on the schedule and deadline. I've done one stupid little thing where I set a deadline, and it was at the last 10 minutes. Wasn't much, but I was stoked that at least I did at least one little thing I promised I would do. My overall record in that regard is piss poor. I think that little thing was about a year ago, so maybe I'm due again.

I've always wanted to be a team guy and collaborator, but it doesn't happen. I have a shortage of candidates for that kind of thing, with people around that have some similar interests and time. 

It's nobody's fault but my own, but it's really frustrating to have myself as the guy I'm trying to get to do stuff. I suck at that.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

You need to get us some drum pron.

Focus.

We're high-centered on the finish/wrap.  She's moving away from the piano black.  I want her to see finishes in person, but unfortunately there are about oh exactly one Gretsch Renown in Austin for her to look at.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Lol. Where?

Y’all should just fly to Portsmouth.

I actually talked to them.  Might order from there.  The only Renown I've found in a store in Austin is Guitar Center -- Anderson Lane.  All the other GC outlets show stock but if you call, nope.  Tommy's has none. Strait might as well not advertise that they sell drums.

• Like 1

I actually talked to them.  Might order from there.  The only Renown I've found in a store in Austin is Guitar Center -- Anderson Lane.  All the other GC outlets show stock but if you call, nope.  Tommy's has none. Strait might as well not advertise that they sell drums.

Watch their video with the broadcasters one of their employees did. Purple sparkle.