The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

27 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea pricey as shit. Who knows if they are worth it. What I can say it’s it’s the best built guitar I think I’ve ever played in 43 years. Fwiw.

They are cool.  I am sure they are badass, and worth it to people of a certain means.

Tangential, but I am guessing anytime you are going above $1000-$1500 or so, you are probably paying a lot more for smaller incremental increases in quality, and perhaps a smaller chance of winding up with a dog.  Like, my American made custom shop Gibson ES-335 is not 4x "better" than my Chinese Eastman T486 was, but it was 4x the cost.

Something hand built by a master luthier in the US using boutique/high end components is just going to be freakin' expensive.

Edit:  One reason why I am intrigued by and may do a Warmoth build at some point.  Seems like it may be the cheapest way to get a superbly crafted guitar providing you have a decent luthier to do the assemble/fret level/setup.

Edited by Goredho

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why?

It’s old white dudes that dork over the cash for boutique stuff isn’t it?

BadCat looks like a logo for a Hawaiian shirt company. Knaggs looks like the signage outside of a breakfast shop run by hobbits. I'm picking on a group I'm about to join but old white dudes are horrible at design for a multitude of reason, including the idea that it doesn't matter (when it does, even to them, even if they won't admit it). Guitars are like cars or motorcycles in that beyond how they perform, how they look and the vibe they throw off is important. I want to feel like James Dean in a porsche (well.. up to a point there's probably a better example) not my dentist. Even if, in every respect, I am more like the dentist.

Interesting take and makes sense.

Fwiw, I work for a company run primarily by old white dudes. We make a product that is not really used by old white dudes. We do quite a bit of branding, logos etc. and we hire experts (who’s teams are almost never old white dudes) to do that stuff. It’s really interesting to hear the research and logic that goes into their designs and recommendations because it’s never what I (old white dude) would have come up with.

I wonder if these guys did that.

11 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

This is supposed to be Depp in London a few days ago. Anyone know how well he plays?

1CAE24C4-D55E-4974-B8C1-DBE697EC9AFC.jpeg

apparently amber heard didn't think much of his skills...

Amber Heard Did Not Enjoy Spending Time With Depp's Entourage

There is a lot of information exposed about Depp and Heard's personal lives. In fact, Depp's sister told a story about Heard and how she called Johnny an "old, fat man," when he revealed that Dior was interested in working with him.

It seems like the abuse continued when this piece of information was revealed in the courtroom. It was said that Heard had no interest in spending time with Depp's entourage, given this reason.

"She told me she didn't like hanging around at his house with his friends because it was boring and it was all old men playing guitars and it wasn't interesting her."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

BadCat looks like a logo for a Hawaiian shirt company. Knaggs looks like the signage outside of a breakfast shop run by hobbits. I'm picking on a group I'm about to join but old white dudes are horrible at design for a multitude of reason, including the idea that it doesn't matter (when it does, even to them, even if they won't admit it).

I've been working on a couple of logo ideas for Surly Guitars, can y'all provide a little feedback?

image.png.a641fdd4ebee8eb732685feccbf067a0.png

1 hour ago, sidis said:

apparently amber heard didn't think much of his skills...

Amber Heard Did Not Enjoy Spending Time With Depp's Entourage

There is a lot of information exposed about Depp and Heard's personal lives. In fact, Depp's sister told a story about Heard and how she called Johnny an "old, fat man," when he revealed that Dior was interested in working with him.

It seems like the abuse continued when this piece of information was revealed in the courtroom. It was said that Heard had no interest in spending time with Depp's entourage, given this reason.

"She told me she didn't like hanging around at his house with his friends because it was boring and it was all old men playing guitars and it wasn't interesting her."

There's a poop joke here just waiting to be birthed into the world

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

This is supposed to be Depp in London a few days ago. Anyone know how well he plays?

Looks like he played rhythm and sang "Little Wing" with Jeff Beck.  He sounds mostly in key, but they have the vocal way low and Beck's fill's drown him out most of the time.  Maybe that was by design?

• Like 1

Fuck. We are confirmed to play PsychoFest in Vegas Aug 18, but it looks like we may be playing the PsychoSwim pre-party the day before the festival begins based on the date they gave us. Either way, the stage we play has a crowd capacity of 7,000 and we get rooms and fee passes for the entire event. Las Vegas in August though, I was there for a wedding this past weekend and it was plenty hot already. We need merch and dont even have an official logo yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Fuck. We are confirmed to play PsychoFest in Vegas Aug 18, but it looks like we may be playing the PsychoSwim pre-party the day before the festival begins based on the date they gave us. Either way, the stage we play has a crowd capacity of 7,000 and we get rooms and fee passes for the entire event. Las Vegas in August though, I was there for a wedding this past weekend and it was plenty hot already. We need merch and dont even have an official logo yet. 

Better be a double blue ray concert film, dude.

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Need a roadie?

1CAE24C4-D55E-4974-B8C1-DBE697EC9AFC.thumb.jpeg.7064b74c8347670ebd92135db0a3b7ac.jpeg

I saw him play with Jeff Becks group at the Clapton Crossroads thing in Dallas a few years back. I remember him being a passable singer and rhythm player. I do not recall anything impressive beyond that. Because when you’re playing on stage with Jeff Beck, are you really trying to solo?

There better be a “pics I took of slutty groupies” thread.

I think we could all use that.

This will be fun, but I realized last night that we'll likely be one of those bands they put on at noon while everybody is still sleeping off the night prior just so the festival can say they had a full day of music. I looked up the stage we play and its in a sports book / bar. We'll be playing for like 10 folks.

At least we get thr 3 Day Artist Pass out of it. I hope Mercyful Fate plays by Saturday night, I need to be home Sunday to start rehearsing for the 1st Vary Mary show in 2.5 years the following Saturday - our drummer will be in town.

Ill be sure to get the groupie pics.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Oh ok.  I thought this was "homeless guys open mic night."  Thanks for clarifying.

Crowd reaction:  
- Portly gent(?) upper left of stands looks bored or hungry.
- Lady in Red (hey, great song title!) looks uncomfortable but needs pic.
- Guy to her left looks like he's about to throw up.  No really, nauseous.
- Girl to his left looks relaxed but content, almost in a trance.  Perhaps the Ecstasy is about to kick in.
- Guy with glasses in row below is about to kick someone's ass.  Man he REALLY HATES Johnny Depp music.
- Girl in front of him is snapping a pic - only it doesn't look like it's aimed at him.  Maybe she likes the amp setup.

Well, at least Johnny's having fun... isn't he?  Right, Johnny?  Are you having fun?  You look... engaged.  I know I know bad word after the last few weeks, but...

Would anyone anywhere give JD a second look or a second listen to his music is he wasn’t JD?

Honest question because I don’t know. I suspect I know the answer though.

There is a local guy here in phoenix in my industry who has a serious shitload of money. And an ego that can barely be contained indoors. Anyway, I guess a while back he taught himself some chords and hired a bunch of high dollar pro backup musicians and calls it a band. And he plays fairly well known gigs around, which wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t bankroll the promoter to get the gig. They’re not terrible but far from anything you’d go out of your way to see.

To each his own I guess, and far be it from me to judge, but I just give it a big ugh. It’s just kind of gross.

That’s what I think of when I see JD using his world class acting chops to play a rock star.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This will be fun, but I realized last night that we'll likely be one of those bands they put on at noon while everybody is still sleeping off the night prior just so the festival can say they had a full day of music. I looked up the stage we play and its in a sports book / bar. We'll be playing for like 10 folks.

At least we get thr 3 Day Artist Pass out of it. I hope Mercyful Fate plays by Saturday night, I need to be home Sunday to start rehearsing for the 1st Vary Mary show in 2.5 years the following Saturday - our drummer will be in town.

Ill be sure to get the groupie pics.

A gig is a gig man.  

Just bought a new version of the holeyboard.  I'll post pics as I progress.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with the various power sources for boards?  I have three 18v pedals, and the rest are the regular 9v types.  

A gig is a gig man.  
Just bought a new version of the holeyboard.  I'll post pics as I progress.
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with the various power sources for boards?  I have three 18v pedals, and the rest are the regular 9v types.  

My buddy with the Knaggs has a pretty sweet pedal board with multiple voltage pedals and he says this works great

e7fc1926d8d54e70787032a23ec7ed54.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

There is a local guy here in phoenix in my industry who has a serious shitload of money. And an ego that can barely be contained indoors. Anyway, I guess a while back he taught himself some chords and hired a bunch of high dollar pro backup musicians and calls it a band. And he plays fairly well known gigs around, which wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t bankroll the promoter to get the gig. 

So James Dolan inherited the corporation that owns the New York Rangers, New York Knicks, and Madison Square Garden.  Thanks to his colossal inheritance, he's still a billionaire even though he's grossly mismanaged the sports franchises, and he's presided over some ventures that lost hundreds of millions of dollars (I cannot think of any other New York businessman who inherited Daddy's billions and remain billionaires despite their overconfident blundering).

He is famously thin-skinned, combative, and vengeful.  He gave Knick fans lifetime bans from MSG who wore anti-Dolan shirts to the arena.  After Oakley publicly criticized Dolan for a decade of horrific trades/contracts, Dolan sent security guards to Oakley's seats during a game and had him forcibly ejected from the arena (Oakley lost his shit and lawsuits ensued).  

Speaking of bankrolling promoters... Dolan surrounded himself with superb musicians, formed "JD and the Straight Shot," who opened for the fucking Eagles (!!!!!!) -- and his band has been on numerous late-night shows.  He was on Fallon, which should tell you everything you need to know about the integrity of a network choosing its musical guests. 

Anyway, I really wanted to link to a couple YouTube videos, but they've suspiciously disappeared from the website.  The Fallon appearance is gone.  Another video that is scrubbed from the internet was shot by a fan when Dolan was playing City Winery in New York.  Between songs, a frustrated fan starts yelling, "I want my money back!" and later, "You have a terrible singing voice!"   Then there was an awkward silence as the fan is ejected from the venue, and then as the room is still murmuring and buzzing, Dolan saying energetically to the crowd, "Hey, do you guys like Johnny Cash?"  It was glorious.  I wish I had saved it.  

There are only a few videos of him on Youtube, and they have comments disabled.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

So James Dolan inherited the corporation that owns the New York Rangers, New York Knicks, and Madison Square Garden.  Thanks to his colossal inheritance, he's still a billionaire even though he's grossly mismanaged the sports franchises, and he's presided over some ventures that lost hundreds of millions of dollars (I cannot think of any other New York businessman who inherited Daddy's billions and remain billionaires despite their overconfident blundering).

He is famously thin-skinned, combative, and vengeful.  He gave Knick fans lifetime bans from MSG who wore anti-Dolan shirts to the arena.  After Oakley publicly criticized Dolan for a decade of horrific trades/contracts, Dolan sent security guards to Oakley's seats during a game and had him forcibly ejected from the arena (Oakley lost his shit and lawsuits ensued).  

Speaking of bankrolling promoters... Dolan surrounded himself with superb musicians, formed "JD and the Straight Shot," who opened for the fucking Eagles (!!!!!!) -- and his band has been on numerous late-night shows.  He was on Fallon, which should tell you everything you need to know about the integrity of a network choosing its musical guests. 

Anyway, I really wanted to link to a couple YouTube videos, but they've suspiciously disappeared from the website.  The Fallon appearance is gone.  Another video that is scrubbed from the internet was shot by a fan when Dolan was playing City Winery in New York.  Between songs, a frustrated fan starts yelling, "I want my money back!" and later, "You have a terrible singing voice!"   Then there was an awkward silence as the fan is ejected from the venue, and then as the room is still murmuring and buzzing, Dolan saying energetically to the crowd, "Hey, do you guys like Johnny Cash?"  It was glorious.  I wish I had saved it.  

There are only a few videos of him on Youtube, and they have comments disabled.

Well, that girl is pretty good looking.

That's something to take away from this.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just saw the Eagles here in Austin last week, so I say this with the recognition that they arguably have the singularly most successful musical catalog of any American band in history...

But they could have thrown a rope down to some relatively unknown but super talented musician in that opening spot instead of taking Dolan's money.... knowing that their most devoted fans who paid hundreds of dollars apiece were going to have to suffer through a shitty 40 minutes from this no-talent ass clown.

It's just a horrid transformation from idealists to businessmen.  If I had to think of an analogy here... 

A Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3