The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I bought it used from Austin Vintage Guitars, and it had that checking already and was a point we haggled on price over.  I wanted to know if it would get worse, and they couldn't tell me it would not.  They said they thought the guitar probably was subjected to a sudden change in temperature and that if I avoided that it probably wouldn't get worse, but they couldn't guarantee anything.  The checking did not get any worse for the year that I owned it.

Yeah, this wasn't an aged guitar, though, more like new old spec.  So this was something that happened after manufacture.

I wouldn't bat an eye at something like that if disclosed.  I love real wear.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m going to declare that strats were not super cool with the children from when Tom Delonge switched to a Gibson signature model in ~2003 until the mid 2010s. Tom Delonge is just a convenient line, but I didn’t know anyone playing strats (not in blues rock) for my whole aspiring rock star career, including when I took my strat as a backup on warped tour 2013 and maybe that motion city/relient k tour. Lots of Gibsons, teles, gradually more jazzmasters/jaguars, some short scale fenders.

Fender was considering cutting the Strat from its lineup after CBS bought the company and Strat sales were tanking until one James Marshall Hendrix became popular. So they got about a 10 year reprieve.

Then in the 80s it was all Kramer/Jackson/Charvel super Strats and definitely not original style Strats.

Then in the late 80s/ early 90s offsets were all rage with the alternative/grunge crowd.

So yes, guitars like anything else go in and out of fashion. Strats included.

They were super out of style in the 80's!

c7e4c56dc48fbddfdcfeddb46eb4d099.thumb.jpg.7ab3d1d27d196523ca800c7ca39ddf4d.jpgdaveMuzzpp.jpg.d2edadd238aa78a0f6cb46e5f33edc44.jpgStevie_Ray_Vaughan_Live_1983.thumb.jpg.508fdbf07b6e89f8f053d3a6bdda7e6d.jpg

C’mon guys. I’m not saying literally no one payed Strats. But when you look at the really big bands with kids then, the ones that drive 12 year olds to buy guitars, say Van Halen and their hair metal inspired progeny - those guys were playing the pointy guitars. And their music dominated guitar based rock for the better part of a decade. We even joke about those pointy guitars here.

Fender was out of touch and flailing in the late70s/early 80s. They tried all sorts of ways to reinvigorate the Strat. See “The Strat” then the “HM Strat” - their own attempt at a mimicking Charvels- the Strat Elite, etc. It wasn’t until the late 80s when they came out with their reissue line that Strat sales started picking back up again. Kurt Cobain playing a Squier Strat didn’t hurt either.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Inwas just busting you're ball Chad. In the 80's I had my dream Carvin all spec'd out from the cqtalon page in the back of Guitar - for the practicing musician. I just never could pull the money together to actually order it.

I would be disappointed if you hadn’t. It’s what we do here. That and guitpron.

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Did somebody say strat players of the 80s?

adrian-belew-david-byrne-and-tina-weymou

gettyimages-1195925507.jpg

EVH's Frankenstrat is the Strat that was really the proto-pointy guitar.  It was what all the Kramer and Chervels and Jacksons aspired to be.  Yet from Fender proper, we had these gems:

image.thumb.png.34c5bb97336d357d12d2d8d8db7b09be.png

1979 Anniversary Strat

Then in 1980 you had the aforementioned, "The Strat" - which...there was an attempt. But boy they whiffed it on that headstock.

fender-the-strat-1980-1983-27899.jpg

The Dan Smith era with the big logo, then small headstock but no second tone knob:

1556032094-13190700.jpg

Fender was just in the doldrums.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

What’s the most 80s guitar in this picture?

Discuss.

It's Iron fucking Maiden. I can't tell you if it was Murray or smith but I know that there wasn't a band more influential in me being a metal head than these guys.  

I still play The Clairvoyant just about every time I pick up my strat just to noodle around while warming up. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DougO said:

I tend to buy stuff that is out of style. You get better deals, and I'm always out of style anyway.

EMG and SD Blackout pickups were all the rage when I started.  Now metal artists are mixed with passive and active and are going away from the blackout look and many are Fishman artists now. Fluence Modern is the new thing. 

I’m going to declare that strats were not super cool with the children from when Tom Delonge switched to a Gibson signature model in ~2003 until the mid 2010s. Tom Delonge is just a convenient line, but I didn’t know anyone playing strats (not in blues rock) for my whole aspiring rock star career, including when I took my strat as a backup on warped tour 2013 and maybe that motion city/relient k tour. Lots of Gibsons, teles, gradually more jazzmasters/jaguars, some short scale fenders.

No one?

661684418bdecfbdea524765810a49c5.jpg

Is that yours? I recall the Delonge signature strat was really popular outside of... Blink 182 enthusiasts. The big 70s headstock and CBS lettering were interesting (at the time, I don't think they had brought that back for a bit) and there was maybe something about the guitar having a swimming pool route. And that they were hardtail?

Ah I think that just proves the point though - I don’t know the Green Day discography past Dookie and American Idiot (and they covered Chicago in the middle) but he was playing the lp jr during the American Idiot era I think.

oh man almost forgot “time of your life” which was peak my generation song choice for the kid who died in a car crash or senior presentation slide shows.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't know how good a deal this is, probably decent since Adorama deals are usually very good. But somebody here will want this.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15842419-evh-striped-series-frankie-electric-guitar-red-white-black-relic-1349-free-s-h?src=frontpage

I love it. I would totally feel like an idiot if someone saw me playing it. But, man that is in my wheelhouse.

Dream vs Reality

BA839B86-4F59-47F8-A959-3889DDAC2B9B.jpeg

700683C4-EDC3-4092-8720-C5A64D124CCA.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, Chad Fuck said:

What’s the most 80s guitar in this picture?

Discuss.

D6E4EB85-6B0E-480B-A605-04AA8B1B7F3D.jpeg.b4af8ea1affd232234e2c1e0c9fb7ab4.jpeg

The mass produced metalguitar strap is the most ‘80s thing in this photo.

The sleeveless t-shirt on the same guy is #2.

The hair doesn’t have enough product in it to nails down the ‘80s over late ‘70s or the ‘90s.

The stage lighting gives the muscle T a run for its money, but it’s #3.

The hair doesn’t have enough product in it to nails down the ‘80s over late ‘70s or the ‘90s.
Be careful. Dave Murray is an extremely under-appreciated player. He gets lost in the crowd that is Iron Maiden, but he is the glue and the glitter in that band. If you ever have the chance, get a floor ticket and position yourself stage right.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Is his shirt black/blue or gold/white? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Throwing this question out here as it seems to be the right audience to ask......

I have a Seagull S6 I've played around with for years (still a low-level intermediate guitarist, but hey at least now I know the CAGED system) and this morning I picked it up to play some acoustic chords for my kiddo and was having a helluva time barring chords, I couldn't even make a C major in second position without strings muted. First chalked it up to playing my elec exclusively and sloppy technique but then I looked more closely and saw the string height was way off really high at the 12th fret. Lo and behold the damn heel is cracked at the body. Is this something that can be repaired or is it not worth the cost of the repair?

PXL_20220613_164616110.jpg

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Throwing this question out here as it seems to be the right audience to ask......

I have a Seagull S6 I've played around with for years (still a low-level intermediate guitarist, but hey at least now I know the CAGED system) and this morning I picked it up to play some acoustic chords for my kiddo and was having a helluva time barring chords, I couldn't even make a C major in second position without strings muted. First chalked it up to playing my elec exclusively and sloppy technique but then I looked more closely and saw the string height was way off really high at the 12th fret. Lo and behold the damn heel is cracked at the body. Is this something that can be repaired or is it not worth the cost of the repair?

PXL_20220613_164616110.jpg

This can most likely be repaired but the first thing you need to do is loosen up the strings if you haven't already done so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The counter argument would be whether or not it's worth spending $125 or more on a Seagull S6.  It's probably not going to be worth much more than that after the repair, and it's impossible to say whether it will get back to former sound & playing condition.

#wetblanket

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The counter argument would be whether or not it's worth spending $125 or more on a Seagull S6.  It's probably not going to be worth much more than that after the repair, and it's impossible to say whether it will get back to former sound & playing condition.
#wetblanket

This is a very true story.