Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Is it really official that Josh White is gone? Yeah yeah Fong'd and what not...but seriously?

He's visiting there this weekend. There wouldn't be this much noise if something hadn't happened.

Also, TFB mentioned that LSU would be a school to watch because White's mother's family is from Louisiana.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

He's visiting there this weekend. There wouldn't be this much noise if something hadn't happened.

Also, TFB mentioned that LSU would be a school to watch because White's mother's family is from Louisiana.

Ah they still have family there? Guess who's about to see some career advancement!

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oh great. We’re basically already down to Flowe. At least we took 4 guys in 2019 because 2018 was thin and 2020 may be too.

Tillman only popped up when he showed up for Junior Day or a camp or whatever (and instantly committed) in July. Pray for a similar deus ex machina. 

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oh great. We’re basically already down to Flowe. At least we took 4 guys in 2019 because 2018 was thin and 2020 may be too.

We only have 10 offers out total to OLB/ILB's.

Flowe - obvious #1 target

Smalls - never visited, more of a pass rusher.

Mikhail Sherman - pipedream 

Sellars - more b-backer/potentially 4i

Wingo - PSU commit, never seen anything about him.

Dorbah - b-backer

White

Scott

Brynden Walker - Ok State commit, was offered as a TE/H-back.

Devon Beatty - from Florida, never heard of him.

That's it.

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We only have 10 offers out total to OLB/ILB's.

Flowe - obvious #1 target

Smalls - never visited, more of a pass rusher.

Mikhail Sherman - pipedream 

Sellars - more b-backer/potentially 4i

Wingo - PSU commit, never seen anything about him.

Dorbah - b-backer

White

Scott

Brynden Walker - Ok State commit, was offered as a TE/H-back.

Devon Beatty - from Florida, never heard of him.

That's it.

Yeah. It’s not easy recruiting LBs in texas. The state doesn’t produce many and most of the best are probably oversized safeties that you have to project. Regardless, we need to do better at ILB. Getting Flowe would be an unbelievably good first step in doing so.

Edited by Burt Macklin

E.J. Holland: Texas recruiting tidbits from NOLA Pylon 7v7

— A lot of people have pegged four-star Arlington athlete Jahari Rogers to Oklahoma due to his ties to the program. But Texas has done a tremendous job recruiting him over the last month. Rogers was expected to attend the OU spring game on April 13, but he is now leaning towards heading to Austin. Texas is recruiting Rogers as a cornerback. He is aiming at a summer decision.

— Four-star Little Elm cornerback Ryan Watts is set to make a visit to Texas on April 10, which is huge considering the fact that he’s going to officially visit Oklahoma just a few days later. There has been buzz that Watts is looking to pick the Sooners during his trip to Norman, but Watts told me that’s not the case and that he plans to make other OVs before making a final decision in June.

— Shadrach Banks, the nation’s top 2021 athlete, told me that he is still trying to decide which spring game to attend next month. He said the four schools recruiting him the hardest are Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. Banks added that Texas is exclusively recruiting him as a wide receiver. He speaks frequently to Drew Mehringer and Corby Meekins.

— West Mesquite running back Ty Jordan was not at the tournament today but will be there tomorrow. The three-star prospect was actually on an unofficial visit to USC today, and I’m told the Trojans are big players in his recruitment. Jordan is looking to get back to Texas after making it to junior day last month.

— Texas is continuing to evaluate three-star 2020 North Shore linebacker Corey Flagg. He made a visit to Texas for junior day last month and holds Power Five offers from programs like Boston College, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. He is one to keep an eye on moving forward.

— While Preston Stone is the prize at quarterback in 2021, the Longhorns are keeping tabs on prospects like Katy Tompkins’ Jalen Milroe and North Shore’s Dematrius Davis. Both have heard from Texas here and there and are on the radar.

Interesting news re: Jahari Rogers

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Gray was fine until he blew out his Achilles.

He had both of his shoulders operated on in high school. He was run into the ground by Aledo before he got to the 40 Acres. But yes, that Achilles injury pretty much ended his professional chances.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

He had both of his shoulders operated on in high school. He was run into the ground by Aledo before he got to the 40 Acres. But yes, that Achilles injury pretty much ended his professional chances.

Damn, I was reading his bio and apparently he blew his Achilles twice.  Thought it was only once!

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Think we need to send some random offers to lb’ers up in Wisconsin. They always seem to have undersized/underrated backers that dominate. 

Yeah, in the Big Ten. We all saw how well Michigan's "#1 rushing defense" did against Ohio State's and Florida's spread offenses.

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Dude is an absolute fucking freak. He may need to be the #1 player in the nation. If we land him, it’s going to be insane. Could easily end up being our best OOS player ever.

Fuck Wescott, but for real...

(Also, for this SBN article in general, I'm more worried about UW with the Byron Murphy connection and their history of excellent DB coaching than anyone else)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bryant Westbrook should be on speed dial in case Washington leaves. Hell, if Huff and the other recent alum safety that took a job as an assistant don't want the job, Westbrook for safety coach when Naivar moves to DC/LB when Orlando likely moves on.

Westbrook is more useful as an agent in Saguaro than as Huff 2.0.

(But I'm working through The Americans right now so I might be more balanced towards spy shit than normal at the moment)

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

1e8bb21f7936f54a7b9e83dd71f95d0c.jpg

You know, as I was typing that I knew that there was someone I was missing but the beers I’d had we’re making it hard to recall who it was. 

*second best. And I’ll say he could be the best HS prospect we’ve ever signed OOS. Although I’m not old enough to know what Simms was like out of HS.

• Like 1