Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

This shouldn't be too difficult to counter; "we run the same defensive front that Bama, Georgia, and LSU run"

It's interesting that Jimbo keeps recruiting 3-4 DL for his 4-3 scheme. You don't see Clemson and Ohio State doing that, they recruit guys who fit well in their system

It’s not a difficult pitch to counter at all. And yet, it keeps on working...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on DL negative recruiting:

Hide contents

There is some unrest among the Longhorn Nation with rumors swirling that Texas may no longer be sitting pretty for a few of their main Defensive Line targets.

I cannot confirm nor deny those rumors. What I can confirm is what is being pitched to these players while they are on campus. Texas A&M, in particular, is doing a very good job of selling Defensive Linemen on a scheme difference between the two programs.

After speaking with a player that has visited College Station this spring, I was told that it is being emphasized to visiting DL prospects that Texas DC Todd Orlando prefers for his Linemen to be guys that occupy blockers to free up the Linebackers. In contrast, A&M is recruiting guys that they want to turn loose to be able to get up the field and create havoc in opposing backfields. A&M is selling players on being the next Myles Garrett (#1 pick) and the opportunity to play in the perceived best conference.

If you were a teenage Defensive Line recruit, with the goal of playing in the NFL one day, which option would be more appealing to you? Texas is still very much in the picture for both of these guys, but it is going to be tougher than many may have realized.

Aggy is recruiting guys to get up field after the QB?  Lulz yeah 300+ lb. DE's.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I've heard OU and Ohio State, but I think he's pretty wide open right now. We have a great opportunity in front of us this spring game.

I guess it’s a bit like Jake Smith, where you see this incredible player and you can’t understand how almost every school in the country isn’t going all out for him. Arizona really is a gold mine, especially with USC down. If we can keep this momentum going, we could go into Arizona and grab 2-3 elite prospects every year. I will say that this is an unusually good year for talent in AZ.

Like I asked the other week, It’s hard to say what’s a better combo, Robinson + Tosh Baker or Evans + George. 

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy is recruiting guys to get up field after the QB?  Lulz yeah 300+ lb. DE's.

Again, can we just show them that before and after picture of Bobby Brown? That dude is not going to be doing anything other than clogging up the middle. If he was at UT, he’d be about 30 LBs lighter and slanting into the backfield most plays. 

Like I said above, this scheme pitch should not be difficult to counter at all.

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good stuff. Who else is Robinson high on? I haven’t heard much about him and other schools besides UCLA, which doesn’t scare me at all. Chip may not even remember to text him once a month. He’s like Giles except he’s hurting your most important recruitments and there’s no one above him on staff to get on him when he’s slacking. Anyways, has Robinson just not started the recruiting process much or are there other known favorites out there? He seems like the 5 star RB with the least competition from other schools, probably in part due to being in Arizona and USC being a mess.

As Machibot said, Ohio State and OU are usually mentioned. OU already has McClellan committed though, might end up landing McGowan, and are still pushing hard for guys like Tyree and Milton; not really sure what's going to happen with OU, but I don't think they have any sort of advantage for Bijan over us. He seems to be the most realistic elite RB for Ohio State, but Ryan Day doesn't exactly scare me in a recruitment unless it's for a WR. 

ETA: Also I think he's a legacy for one of the in-state schools, but he's not going there

Edited by Fud

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Again, can we just show them that before and after picture of Bobby Brown? That dude is not going to be doing anything other than clogging up the middle. If he was at UT, he’d be about 30 LBs lighter and slanting into the backfield most plays. 

I'm betting that piece from TFB was from Umanmielen.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Read the comments regarding which school is going to win a championship first, and stop and consider:  all those kids who have this false expectation that aggy will ever actually even be competitive also have opinions about all sorts of other things, including scheme.

It has been said before of aggy, but it's true: it is extremely difficult to win an argument with a very intelligent opponent, but it's damned near impossible to win one with a moronic opponent. Just like a really slick 15 second TV ad, this scheme pitch will continue to work a significant percentage of the time regardless of the merits simply because it fits what some kids want to hear.

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Read the comments regarding which school is going to win a championship first, and stop and consider:  all those kids who have this false expectation that aggy will ever actually even be competitive also have opinions about all sorts of other things, including scheme.

It has been said before of aggy, but it's true: it is extremely difficult to win an argument with a very intelligent opponent, but it's damned near impossible to win one with a moronic opponent. Just like a really slick 15 second TV ad, this scheme pitch will continue to work a significant percentage of the time regardless of the merits simply because it fits what some kids want to hear.

You relaize that’s a result of the schools’ recruiting and not the other way around, right? Saying the scheme thing is an argument that will beat us more often than not and we can’t do anything about is complete and total bullshit.

Like Fud said, Bama, LSU and UGA all run 3 man schemes. They land most of the best DL in the country every single year. This scheme thing is not some unassailable argument if you’re doing a good job recruiting. People need to stop making pitiful excuses like the one you’re advancing.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't seen any talk of Baker visiting yet.

Me either. I’m not saying it’s realistic, but it’s just an interesting question re talent.

It doesn’t look like we’re pushing much for him from what I can tell, but maybe if we land Robinson by this summer,  the package deal for Evans becomes less of a necessity or maybe George just goes ahead and pulls the trigger for Bama. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Right, every low 4 star/high 3 star we sign is a diamond in the rough or an [insert NFL player]-starter kit and was just improperly ranked due to bias, incompetency, it rained on the day they tested, etc. - signed every college football fan base.  Look, I'm not saying any one of these guys in particular won't turn out to be a star. It's certainly possible we hit on one or more. But, if the goal is to have an elite defensive line, we are not taking the path of least resistance.    

Let's touch on this condescending bullshit line "every low 4 star/high 3 star we sign is a diamond in the rough or an [insert NFL player]-starter kit and was just improperly ranked due to bias," 

It's ironic and fucking hilarious that you want to be this guy, when you clearly haven't seen Broughton play in person and probably haven't even bothered to watch his highlights from this past season or his current camp drills. You are simply running with his recent rankings rise by the 9.95ers. If you had seen him, you wouldn't have used him as an example of "the kind of player we need to target" over the "lesser guys we've been settling for demographic" and specifically naming Ojomo and Jones.  

I'm not saying he can't be better than those guys or that we don't want him but he's ALL projection and possibility at this point so your path of least resistance is actually better served by choosing very high end athletes that are also actually good at football. That's Ojomo. That's Jones. Collins and Leal as well. Right now it's not Broughton, which was my point. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You relaize that’s a result of the schools’ recruiting and not the other way around, right? Saying the scheme thing is an argument that will beat us more often than not and we can’t do anything about is complete and total bullshit.

Like Fud said, Bama, LSU and UGA all run 3 man schemes. They land most of the best DL in the country every single year. This scheme thing is not some unassailable argument if you’re doing a good job recruiting. People need to stop making pitiful excuses like the one you’re advancing.

I said it would work a statistically significant percentage of the time, and it will. Not every kid is lining up to go to Bama, LSU and UGA, either. Some are, but some buy the line that a 3 man front won't do what they want it to. You don't change their minds simply by reiterating factual evidence. If that were so, no one would ever go to aggy, but that's not realistic.

No one ever said it would work more than half the time. That'd be stupid. But it doesn't need to work more than half the time to be a pain in the ass.

Edited by Walden Ponderer

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I said it would work a significant percentage of the time, and it will. Not every kid is lining up to go to Bama, LSU and UGA, either. Some are, but some buy the line that a 3 man front won't do what they want it to. You don't change their minds simply by reiterating factual evidence. If that were so, no one would ever go to aggy, but that's not realistic. 

Bama gets who they want on the DL. Did you see their last class? 

Just now, Fud said:

Bama gets who they want on the DL. Did you see their last class? 

Well, yeah, they may be a bad example. Still, my point is that high school football players are just like the rest of the public at large -- a significant percentage of them can be sold a bill of goods, and there's never going to be anything anyone can do to stop that dynamic completely.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I said it would work a significant percentage of the time, and it will. Not every kid is lining up to go to Bama, LSU and UGA, either. Some are, but some buy the line that a 3 man front won't do what they want it to. You don't change their minds simply by reiterating factual evidence. If that were so, no one would ever go to aggy, but that's not realistic.

Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there’s nothing the staff can do to counter such a simple pitch is absurd.

Not to mention, we don’t play a traditional 3 man front. You’re treating these recruits as if they’re too dumb to appreciate the differences in our scheme from a gap-eating 3-4.  It’s just not true and other schools that play a more traditional 3-4 dont have the same issue as us. So your theory doesn’t hold up in any form or fashion.

It’s much more likely that it’s a poor job of countering the pitch in recruiting, yet you’re bending over backwards to avoid that conclusion. Just like we have people on here arguing that ratings don’t matter every year when we miss on our top targets, becuase once Moro Ojomo turns 18 in 2022, he’ll be the equivalent of a 5 star. It’s truly shocking to me how many people can’t just accept reality when it’s less than rosy. 

Anyways, I’m out for today because these arguments keep going back to the same spot. 

2wzhye.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there’s nothing the staff can do to counter such a simple pitch is absurd.

Not to mention, we don’t play a traditional 3 man front. You’re treating these recruits as if they’re too dumb to appreciate the differences in our scheme from a gap-eating 3-4.  It’s just not true and other schools that play a more traditional 3-4 dont have the same issue as us. So your theory doesn’t hold up in any form or fashion.

It’s much more likely that it’s a poor job of countering the pitch in recruiting, yet you’re bending over backwards to avoid that conclusion. Just like we have people on here arguing that ratings don’t matter every year when we miss on our top targets, becuase once Moro Ojomo turns 18 in 2022, he’ll be the equivalent of a 5 star. It’s truly shocking to me how many people can’t just accept reality when it’s less than rosy. 

Anyways, I’m out for today because these arguments keep going back to the same spot. 

2wzhye.jpg

And if that spot were to have a NAME, what would that name be? /ducks

I'm all for Aggy going in with the scheme pitch. It's like Patterson selling out for the development pitch. 

Orlando's scheme isn't some death knell to DL. It's been more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than Xs and Os in terms of our DL stats and their NFL futures. You don't recruit guys like Coburn, Ossai, Mpagi, and Ojomo to sit back and play muckup so that LB can run free. The profile of the guys that we are recruiting (even the lower ranked guys like Warren, Mpagi, and Sweat) is all about athleticism and disruption. Every one of the guys we've been signing is a disrupter. 

So let them go all in on Orlando and "scheme fits".  Myles Garrett is far in the rear view now, and was with a different HC and DC to boot. This is no different than Patterson talking about Texas not developing players. Charlie Strong is in the rear view and the minute that Herman and staff not only beat the Frogs down but did it developing 3* guys they took away the only chip Fat Gare had left. Have you seen how fucking broken that guy is when talking to guys that Texas is also recruiting? He's got nothing. The only thing Aggy has is the SEC and a quick path to the 2-deep. Everything else is going away so grabbing "scheme fit" and talking shit about NFL future is all they've got left on the defensive side of the ball and that shit is 2 seasons away from being empty as well. Then it will be the SEC, quick playing time, and nothing else. Same as it ever was. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

got a link for this pic?  

48 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm all for Aggy going in with the scheme pitch. It's like Patterson selling out for the development pitch. 

Orlando's scheme isn't some death knell to DL. It's been more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than Xs and Os in terms of our DL stats and their NFL futures. You don't recruit guys like Coburn, Ossai, Mpagi, and Ojomo to sit back and play muckup so that LB can run free. The profile of the guys that we are recruiting (even the lower ranked guys like Warren, Mpagi, and Sweat) is all about athleticism and disruption. Every one of the guys we've been signing is a disrupter. 

So let them go all in on Orlando and "scheme fits".  Myles Garrett is far in the rear view now, and was with a different HC and DC to boot. This is no different than Patterson talking about Texas not developing players. Charlie Strong is in the rear view and the minute that Herman and staff not only beat the Frogs down but did it developing 3* guys they took away the only chip Fat Gare had left. Have you seen how fucking broken that guy is when talking to guys that Texas is also recruiting? He's got nothing. The only thing Aggy has is the SEC and a quick path to the 2-deep. Everything else is going away so grabbing "scheme fit" and talking shit about NFL future is all they've got left on the defensive side of the ball and that shit is 2 seasons away from being empty as well. Then it will be the SEC, quick playing time, and nothing else. Same as it ever was. 

This is kinda my point. So, aggy is going to get a few wins because of "scheme fit". That has nothing to do with what we ought to be selling recruits -- not even the ones where we're in a head-to-head with them. Sell them on what we do, and don't worry about what aggy is or isn't doing. And just fucking win. Nothing sells as well as winning (see: every comment ever made in a recruiting thread about Bama).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB on DL negative recruiting:

Hide contents

There is some unrest among the Longhorn Nation with rumors swirling that Texas may no longer be sitting pretty for a few of their main Defensive Line targets.

I cannot confirm nor deny those rumors. What I can confirm is what is being pitched to these players while they are on campus. Texas A&M, in particular, is doing a very good job of selling Defensive Linemen on a scheme difference between the two programs.

After speaking with a player that has visited College Station this spring, I was told that it is being emphasized to visiting DL prospects that Texas DC Todd Orlando prefers for his Linemen to be guys that occupy blockers to free up the Linebackers. In contrast, A&M is recruiting guys that they want to turn loose to be able to get up the field and create havoc in opposing backfields. A&M is selling players on being the next Myles Garrett (#1 pick) and the opportunity to play in the perceived best conference.

If you were a teenage Defensive Line recruit, with the goal of playing in the NFL one day, which option would be more appealing to you? Texas is still very much in the picture for both of these guys, but it is going to be tougher than many may have realized.

Which is proven by the number of recent conference LB of the year honors Texas has received compared to DL of the year honors. Right?

Mike Roach: Four-star OL Chad Lindberg shares latest on UT, recruiting

Chad Lindberg has had an all around drama-free recruitment. The four-star offensive tackle from Clear Creek is going about his business like a professional. Lindberg and his family are using the spring to see a few campuses before whittling down his list of focus. Lindberg just returned from a trip out to the East Coast to see a few programs, and he came away impressed with what he saw. “Clemson seems pretty full on offensive line,” he said. “I’ll stay in contact with them and see how that goes. Georgia is a serious contender, and then Georgia Tech. I went out there and I didn’t really know anything about it, but after the visit, I liked it a lot.”

Lindberg’s recruitment has been talked about as a two-team race between Texas and Stanford, but he made it clear that he’s still very much open to a few programs. Aside from the three he just saw, several other schools are standing out.“LSU has a good chance,” he said. “Auburn is kind of up there. I just haven’t been out there recently. And then there’s Oklahoma. It’s hard to say no to them.” Spring game scheduling conflicts are creating some confusion for prospects this year. Lindberg has one nailed down for sure, and he’d like to make others if his schedule lines up. “I’m going to the Texas spring game,” he said. “Other than that, I’ll just have to look at the dates.”

Lindberg has been a frequent visitor to Austin, and he’s close with Texas offensive line commits Jake Majors and Logan Parr. Lindberg said he talks with them daily, but they know not to pressure him and his recruitment. “I talk to most of them daily, but just as friends,” he said. “They are pitching me, but they know what’s annoying and what’s not.” Lindberg would like to make his decision before the season starts, but he acknowledged he would delay if he needed more time. Not much for social media hype, Lindberg said he wasn’t planning on releasing any public cuts of top schools. “Ideally at the end of summer I’d make a decision,” he said. “I probably won’t drop any top fives or top tens. I might say one silently, but I won’t make it public.”

The Longhorns have always been in a good position for Lindberg, and he said their pitch and the family environment they provide are reasons why. “Almost all the coaches text me,” he said. “They’re not annoying about it, but they recruit me quite a bit. With Coach Hand, there’s just a family feel to it.” At 6-foot-6, 306 pounds, Lindberg is ranked as the No. 8 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

If anything aggy has all the fatty space eaters to clear up LB's.

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Four-star ATH Jahari Rogers has strong bond with Texas staff

Most pundits have pegged Jahari Rogers to Oklahoma. After all, Rogers’ grandfather played for the Sooners. However, the three-star athlete from Arlington is much more open behind the scenes, and he made it clear that Texas is right up there with rival OU. “Texas is top three for sure,” Rogers said. “Probably top two. It’s just because of the relationships I have with them. The campus is beautiful. The program is on the rise. It’s Texas. Who wouldn’t want to go to Texas? That’s the place to be.”

As Rogers mentioned, he has a close bond with the Texas coaching staff, specifically cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and assistant Ra’Shaad Samples. “My relationships with Coach Samples and Coach Washington are amazing,” Rogers said. “Those two dudes are the two best recruiters that are recruiting me right now. I speak highly of Texas because of them. Coach Samples gives me the real deal. I feel comfortable with them.”

Along with Oklahoma and Texas, Rogers is strongly considering Florida, LSU, Miami and TCU. He is targeting a summer decision. One of the most versatile prospects in the country, Rogers racked up more than 3,500 yards of total offense and scored close to 50 total touchdowns for Arlington last season. But he knows his future is likely on the defensive side of the ball.

“I’m going to play cornerback,” Rogers said. “I like being on an island. I like locking down the best players. That’s what I feel like I can be really good at and where I can make my money at. That’s the position I feel like I can play.” At 6-foot, 170 pounds, Rogers is ranked as the No. 32 cornerback in the country and No. 57 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Edited by satyanash

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star ATH Jahari Rogers has strong bond with Texas staff

Reveal hidden contents

Most pundits have pegged Jahari Rogers to Oklahoma. After all, Rogers’ grandfather played for the Sooners. However, the three-star athlete from Arlington is much more open behind the scenes, and he made it clear that Texas is right up there with rival OU. “Texas is top three for sure,” Rogers said. “Probably top two. It’s just because of the relationships I have with them. The campus is beautiful. The program is on the rise. It’s Texas. Who wouldn’t want to go to Texas? That’s the place to be.”

As Rogers mentioned, he has a close bond with the Texas coaching staff, specifically cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and assistant Ra’Shaad Samples. “My relationships with Coach Samples and Coach Washington are amazing,” Rogers said. “Those two dudes are the two best recruiters that are recruiting me right now. I speak highly of Texas because of them. Coach Samples gives me the real deal. I feel comfortable with them.”

Along with Oklahoma and Texas, Rogers is strongly considering Florida, LSU, Miami and TCU. He is targeting a summer decision. One of the most versatile prospects in the country, Rogers racked up more than 3,500 yards of total offense and scored close to 50 total touchdowns for Arlington last season. But he knows his future is likely on the defensive side of the ball.

“I’m going to play cornerback,” Rogers said. “I like being on an island. I like locking down the best players. That’s what I feel like I can be really good at and where I can make my money at. That’s the position I feel like I can play.” At 6-foot, 170 pounds, Rogers is ranked as the No. 32 cornerback in the country and No. 57 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Man every legacy in the state (Rogers, Collins, Landon Jackson) seems to be a bit cold on their family school for the moment.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Which is proven by the number of recent conference LB of the year honors Texas has received compared to DL of the year honors. Right?

To be fair, in his two seasons here Orlando has produced 1 Defensive POY (LB Jefferson) and 2 Defensive Lineman of the Year. 

14 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

If Charles Omenihu goes in the 2nd round,Texas better use that to their advantage with the DL recruits. Maybe that’s what Herman and co are waiting on to counter the attack.

It won’t matter.  Princely stated recently that Charles would have have more sacks in a 4-3 scheme.   Forget the fact that none of aggys DL had close to his TFL and sack production and none will be drafted as high as him.  Yet they’ve convinced some recruits their scheme is better regardless of results.  It’s pretty simple, win and they will come.  If we can make a play off run, these same recruits will be begging Texas to take their commitment.  When Texas is winning, you’ll see Bama, UGA, Clemson level of DL sign here.  Hoping Nelson gets drafted too so we can start debunking aggys idiotic message to these DL.

Edit:  Honestly, just call the b-backer a DE that we like to drop in coverage from time to time and boom we’re now a 4DL front.  Not like these kids would be able to tell the difference with the bullshit they tend to believe. 

Edited by victory88

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It won’t matter.  Princely stated recently that Charles would have have more sacks in a 4-3 scheme.   Forget the fact that none of aggys DL had close to his TFL and sack production and none will be drafted as high as him.  Yet they’ve convinced some recruits their scheme is better regardless of results.  It’s pretty simple, win and they will come.  If we can make a play off run, these same recruits will be begging Texas to take their commitment.  When Texas is winning, you’ll see Bama, UGA, Clemson level of DL sign here.  Hoping Nelson gets drafted too so we can start debunking aggys idiotic message to these DL.

Where's Keke getting projected?

I mean, it’s a reasonable pitch on a surface level. By the nature of the defense, 4-3 d ends play more freely and on the edge which lends to more eye popping plays made. That discounts versatility and adaptability by the DC by that’s not what 17 year olds look at. 

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Edit:  Honestly, just call the b-backer a DE that we like to drop in coverage from time to time and boom we’re now a 4DL front.  Not like these kids would be able to tell the difference with the bullshit they tend to believe. 

We actually did what you said in your edit somewhat regularly towards the end of the season. We don't run 4 DL, but we do use 4 man fronts. 

Honestly, any DL battles we lose are just losses. The scheme pitches really aren't that hard to beat and aren't important enough to be the only reason a kid would choose A&M. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

We actually did what you said in your edit somewhat regularly towards the end of the season. We don't run 4 DL, but we do use 4 man fronts. 

Honestly, any DL battles we lose are just losses. The scheme pitches really aren't that hard to beat and aren't important enough to be the only reason a kid would choose A&M. 

Who said it’s the only reason?  The problem is our DL coach is Mr. Friendzone and doesn’t have a counter to it.