Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Suchomel heard incorrectly, by the way. Collins is visiting next weekend, not this one.

IT recruiting notes

RECRUITING

Weekend visitors on the 40 Acres:

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (2020) - Perhaps the state's second best wideout will return to Austin for the second time in a month. This is good news because we've heard A&M holds a slight, but real lead. It still comes down to mom's approval, and hopefully she joins on this trip. Omeire will be in town for the Texas Relays, so it's important to keep in mind that's the main reason he's in town. He will take an official visit and that will be the staff's best chance to win over his mother. We feel like Omeire personally likes UT more than he lets on.

DL Maason Smith, Terrebonne HS (Houma, LA) (2021) - The 6-foot-4, 300-pound interior monster is really something to watch. With offers from Alabama, LSU, Florida, and OU among the group, he's not a secret in the tiny oilfield town. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas offered this weekend.

ATH Joel Williams, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) (2020) - From the school that brought us Malcolm Roach, Williams makes his way back to the 40 Acres after a visit last summer. He's a good athlete who holds 44 offers, with most of them committable. Texas likes him at safety, but I don't see the staff pushing too hard simply because of numbers.

LB Brennon Scott, Dallas Bishop Dunne (2020) - The Metroplex linebacker has UT's rivals - OU, A&M - on him as well. I think Texas will take an extra linebacker this cycle and Scott could be that dude. I do think the staff would like to further evaluate, though, and the same thing likely goes for the Sooners and Aggies. This could become a David Gbenda situation where the first school to push hard will land him. 

DT Keithian "Bear" Alexander, Terrell (2022) - The 6-foot-2, 340-pound sophomore-to-be is really enjoying his newfound attention. He was in Austin for the Elite Day in January, but this time he's bringing an intriguing LB prospect and teammate with him.....

LB Jaqwondis Burns, Terrell (2020)….Burns will be joining the Bear this weekend. At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, the LB/RB/safety has good tape and is starting to get noticed - Louisville, Kansas State, and UH all offered recently, with Florida, TCU, and Texas Tech doing their homework. Burns is the the type of player Matt Rhule has been landing at Baylor -- explosive, lean, with tons of athletic upside. His main roadblock with Texas is very like Prince Dorbah.

DE DeSanto Rollins, Parkview Baptist (Baton Rouge, LA) (2020) - One of those under the radar types, the un-ranked defensive end stands 6-foot-4, 275, and was offered by Tennessee earlier this month. He moved to Louisiana from Mississippi (Trinity Episcopal) last year in his junior year. He's one to keep an eye on if the UT misses on one of the well-known targets. They've been on him for a while.

DL Blake Burris, Irving McArthur (2020) - Another unknown defensive end from the 2020 cycle, Burris has Colorado, Southern Miss, and Air Force offers at the moment. At 6-foot-3, 262, he's got the frame to do some damage. He's likely lined up as a Princely Umanmielen replacement should it be needed.

DL Jaquelin Roy, University Lab (LA) (2020) - The four-star recently de-committed from his hometown school, LSU, and is now back on the market. I hear Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia are making a push for the 6-foot-3.5, 284-pounder's services. His interest in UT remains unknown, but that's what these visits are for.

LOOKING AHEAD

DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek (2020) - The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder with upside for days is making it back to the 40 Acres next weekend. This is pleasing news because Texas needs this kid on campus every chance they get to best understand how he's feeling with the process. This is another UT-OU-A&M battle.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge (2020) - He's expected for the Texas spring game, which might be a win in itself with A&M's also being hosted that same day. Broughton and Collins are two of the five biggest needs in the class and at a position that hasn't been recruited as highly rated as the others.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

That Joe Cook highlight clip is hilarious.  JLR has a terrible reaction and get off in that clip.  Because of that, the lineman has dropped way too far by the time anyone else has even moved.  And because the other lineman are immobile in the drill, JLR just blows right past him inside. 

A few notes from Joe Cook at Relays:

Spoiler

Lots of great competition around the track today including from some UT targets. Here’s a few quick things I picked up.

-2019 Texas signee and Plano East S Tyler Owens had a lot of attention on him this week. After trading the top 100m time in the country with Strake Jesuit’s Matthew Boling, Owens is looking to try to give fans a preview of what could happen at Myers Stadium in a few months at the state championships. He ran a 10.56 today. He mentioned he knows playing time is earned, and looked forward to “getting bigger” once he gets to campus.

-2020 Tyler John Tyler DB Kitan Crawford ran a 10.61 100m with a 3.4 m/s tailwind to qualify for the Boys Div. II 100m final. He said he heard from Texas A&M today and Aggie DB coach Maurice Linguist. He spoke highly of Texas and mentioned how comfortable he is with Texas corners coach Jason Washington.

-2020 Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha Catholic RB MarShawn Lloyd made his first trip to the Lone Star State with his teammates looking for the best competition. He wasn’t able to visit with the football coaches due to NCAA rules, but said he plans to be in Austin with his mother “in a couple of weeks.”

-2021 Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton is very athletic but very soft spoken. He mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State but 100 percent of his focus right now is on track.

-2020 Fort Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire may have tweeted recently tweeted out “decision coming soon,” but he told me today he probably will decide in early July.

Edited by Machinator

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Lots of great competition around the track today including from some UT targets. Here’s a few quick things I picked up.

-2019 Texas signee and Plano East S Tyler Owens had a lot of attention on him this week. After trading the top 100m time in the country with Strake Jesuit’s Matthew Boling, Owens is looking to try to give fans a preview of what could happen at Myers Stadium in a few months at the state championships. He ran a 10.56 today. He mentioned he knows playing time is earned, and looked forward to “getting bigger” once he gets to campus.

-2020 Tyler John Tyler DB Kitan Crawford ran a 10.61 100m with a 3.4 m/s tailwind to qualify for the Boys Div. II 100m final. He said he heard from Texas A&M today and Aggie DB coach Maurice Linguist. He spoke highly of Texas and mentioned how comfortable he is with Texas corners coach Jason Washington.

-2020 Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha Catholic RB MarShawn Lloyd made his first trip to the Lone Star State with his teammates looking for the best competition. He wasn’t able to visit with the football coaches due to NCAA rules, but said he plans to be in Austin with his mother “in a couple of weeks.”

-2021 Garland Lakeview Centennial RB Camar Wheaton is very athletic but very soft spoken. He mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State but 100 percent of his focus right now is on track.

-2020 Fort Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire may have tweeted recently tweeted out “decision coming soon,” but he told me today he probably will decide in early July.

Great news on Omeire, should give us more time to work on him.

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Crawford may be the fastest CB not named Ringo we are after. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Wilson is so far and above Omeire, you have to prioritize him as long as you think you can get him to campus this summer.

Yeah, Wilson, Flowe, Ransom, and Baker are guys we need to get on campus during the spring/summer to have a chance.  We probably get an OV from most, if not all of them.  But it will probably take an unofficial visit as well.  I do think if any of those 4 unofficially visit we have a legit chance, and probably better than anyone with some of them.  Same thing for the TE from Washington.  

Until it becomes clearer I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about Wilson, though I do like where we are with him.

I'd like Johnston and Sullivan. Would be a really nice duo both big with speed, athleticism, and enough skill to play multiple spots. I think Omeire is more limited and I'd rather see Sullivan but Omeire is interesting in that flex slot spot to continue the Texas WR trend of just muscling bitch ass Sooner DBs. Smith-Njigba is pretty fucking badass as well but he seems pretty locked in to tOSU.  I know he seems really set on playing QB but Ja'Quinden Jackson, and I certainly would love to have him and let him give it a shot, but if he wanted to play WR I'd take him immediately as well. 

• Like 2

E.J. Holland: Previewing a loaded Pylon 7v7 Texas Classic tournament

Everything is bigger in Texas. And that includes this weekend’s Pylon 7on7 Texas Classic, which will feature some of the top teams in the region. True Buzz is set to defend its hardware after capturing the trophy at Pylon Dallas last month. The squad also reached the semifinals at Pylon Orlando and Pylon New Orleans and features some of the best recruits in the Dallas-area. Four-star athlete Jahari Rogers literally does it all for True Buzz, playing cornerback, wide receiver and quarterback. Four-star cornerback Ryan Watts is a mainstay on defense, while rising wide receivers Tristan Golightly and Donajz Dunn will provide plenty of offensive fireworks.

Team Grind is another Dallas-area staple with a lot of recruiting talent on its roster. Elite 2021 wide receiver Quaydarius Davis has been one of the best players on the 7v7 circuit this offseason, while defenders like Jon Davis and Jadarius Thursby have proven to be big-time players. Flex is one of the newest teams on the block, but it is quickly turning into a force. With offensive weapons like Quin Bright and Keith Miller as well as four-star defensive backs Christian Gonzalez and Lorando Johnson, this team can make plenty of noise.

NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders will be bringing his team to the field as well. Of course, his son, 2021 quarterback Shedeur Sanders, will lead Truth’s offensive attack. He will have plenty of weapons at his disposal including four-star athlete EJ Smith and big-time tight end Elijah Yelverton. The newly formed BFlen All Stars have a good nucleus on offense that includes 2022 studs like quarterback Alex Orji and running back Emeka Megwa. Defensively, the team features four-star safety Darius Snow and rising cornerback Ennis Rakestraw.

Austin-based Juice could make a splash this tournament. Four-star wide receiver Collin Sullivan has been impressive this offseason, while Dajon Harrison and Jahdae Barron are fresh off of their commitments to TCU. Sooner 7v7 is making the trip from Oklahoma and has some of the best talent north of the Red River. Four-star wide receiver Javian Hester is a monster on offense, while four-star safety Myles Slusher is a commander on defense.

C4 will also be making its way down from Oklahoma. Some names to know are three-star wide receiver Blake Nowell and rising linebacker Kaleb Graham. Lastly, Showboats 7v7 will represent Louisiana. The squad has one of the tournament’s best playmakers on the back end in four-star safety Eric Reedand is ready to build off of a nice showing at Pylon New Orleans last weekend. Overall, this is stacked field and will showcase some of the best prospects the 7v7 circuit has to offer.