Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

As bad as Ketch is, he's been in the game much longer than EJ. He almost certainly can evaluate better.

So your theory is that because Ketch hass sucked at something for a long time, he sucks less than someone who's sucked at the same thing for a shorter amount of time? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Whenever he deigns to research for his recruiting rankings, Jabba the Ketch ranks almost exclusively off of measureables. For instance, he was really low on Joseph Ossai, and explained it away with something like "6'4 220 guys with 5.0 40s don't get drafted", never mind that his 40 yard dash was from early spring when it was cold and wet in Houston and he never ran it again. However, he'll put someone like Brandon Bowen in his top ten because if some track measurebles, while he sucks at football. 

I've personally witnessed Ketch "scouting."

Let me just say Daddy98 would probably give him a run for his money. And that isn't a compliment to Daddy98.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I never understood the Ketch hate until I started following him on Twitter.  What an effing beating.  He spends far more energy on beta male bullshit than he does on recruiting.  

That's because he IS a beta male.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I don't think very much of you but agree. Ketch is a piece of shit.  he outed Jesus and asked him to name his sources. He's a big fat hypocrite piece of shit.

Thank you giving me your opinion on me personally in this post. It was both germane and also added some positive energy to my day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thank you giving me your opinion on me personally in this post. It was both germane and also added some positive energy to my day. 

I am now going to start all my conversations with "I don't think much of you, but . . ."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

So handwringing for 3 pages that we are losing ground on Collins and Broughton. Report they will both be in town the next two weekends and crickets. Maybe Princely has another aggy slanted article out today so we have something to bitch anout

I mean it got the most upvotes on the last page so it’s not like people ignored it, but acting like Collins visiting this weekend because he chose aggy over us for the spring game isn’t exactly a positive. 

Broughton coming for the spring game is awesome. I’ll be curious to see who comes with him. Having CTJ, EJ, and TFB all confirm that Broughton has some sketchy handlers involved in his recruitment doesn’t exactly give me the warm fuzzies, at least not the way South Austin’s mom does, about his recruitment, but I hope we are willing to play the game enough to land him still.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

As bad as Ketch is, he's been in the game much longer than EJ. He almost certainly can evaluate better.

Say what you want to about E.J. ---- and Lord knows you guys have ------ but at least he's out there busting his balls. Ketch is a shut in.  He has not been to any sort of Longhorn sporting event in many, many years. He does not go and watch high school football. He does not go to 7 on 7s.   As far as I can tell, he works about six hours a week, typing shit.  I see his LSR 100  and I think  "what is this based on, Ketch?  How many of these players have you seen in person?"  Answer: not one.  You would think a guy who owns a recruiting website would be out there busting his ass to you, know, actually see a game, ESPECIALLY since so many great players come to Cedar Park (where he lives) to play against Cedar Park. He can't be bothered.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Say what you want to about E.J. ---- and Lord knows you guys have ------ but at least he's out there busting his balls. Ketch is a shut in.  He has not been to any sort of Longhorn sporting event in many, many years. He does not go and watch high school football. He does not go to 7 on 7s.   As far as I can tell, he works about six hours a week, typing shit.  I see his LSR 100  and I think  "what is this based on, Ketch?  How many of these players have you seen in person?"  Answer: not one.  You would think a guy who owns a recruiting website would be out there busting his ass to you, know, actually see a game, ESPECIALLY since so many great players come to Cedar Park (where he lives) to play against Cedar Park. He can't be bothered.  

What does he look like now? I would think I would spot him around town.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So your theory is that because Ketch hass sucked at something for a long time, he sucks less than someone who's sucked at the same thing for a shorter amount of time? 

You'd be surprising how many professions this axiom applies to.

When EJ says something like "[insert recruit here] is the most athletic/fluid/powerful kid I've seen in my career", it means virtually nothing because his 'career' as a recruiting reporter has been just a few years long. Ketchum is a lazy good-for-nothing fucker but he's been covering the recruiting beat far, far longer.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Yep. Ketchup actually watches sports. EJ probably watched his first football game when he got hired at 247

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The biggest issue with the Rivals stuff with the state of Texas is that Geoff Ketchum is an unkempt slug with a penchant for napping during recruiting meetings with his peers and then sneak-eating their sack lunches from the corporate fridge and never admitting to it. He's universally despised by his peers, but they have to keep him around because he owns the subscriber base of bleating sheep on Obloods. 

Rivals rankings will get more realistic in the future for the state of Texas once Ketchum dies from an aortic split after lodging a turkey leg in his blood stream while eating it whole. 

You have a way with words sir

We're not seriously debating the relative merits of E.J. and Ketch, are we?

One is a pretentious hipster wannabe who doesn't know jack about the sport he covers, and sucks up to the sleaziest of characters in the recruiting business. The other is a fat, lazy, pretentious, dishonest scumbucket whose 15 minutes of relevance were over before his enormous belly first entered the room at Rivals, some half hour before his head followed.

Choosing between the two is like asking which you'd rather have, foot fungus or thyroid cancer?

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We're not seriously debating the relative merits of E.J. and Ketch, are we?

One is a pretentious hipster wannabe who doesn't know jack about the sport he covers, and sucks up to the sleaziest of characters in the recruiting business. The other is a fat, lazy, pretentious, dishonest scumbucket whose 15 minutes of relevance were over before his enormous belly first entered the room at Rivals, some half hour before his head followed.

Choosing between the two is like asking which you'd rather have, foot fungus or thyroid cancer?

foot fungus. which one is foot fungus?

• Like 1

Nate Anderson from Frisco is emerging as an OL option. He's done very well at camps this spring, including doing well in testing, at drills, and having good reviews of his frame. This past year was his first playing OL, after previously playing TE and DE. 

Per Suchomel, Hand has recently been in contact, and invited him to see some practices. 

I think he and Tosh Baker are both superior options to George, and I think our best case scenario is landing one of those two (along with Lindberg, obviously) and still landing Zach Evans, despite him being vocal about he and George being a package deal; Zach deciding so late makes them being a package deal slightly less likely, imo. 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Nate Anderson from Frisco is emerging as an OL option. He's done very well at camps this spring, including doing well in testing, at drills, and having good reviews of his frame. This past year was his first playing OL, after previously playing TE and DE. 

Per Suchomel, Hand has recently been in contact, and invited him to see some practices. 

I think he and Tosh Baker are both superior options to George, and I think our best case scenario is landing one of those two (along with Lindberg, obviously) and still landing Zach Evans, despite him being vocal about he and George being a package deal; Zach deciding so late makes them being a package deal slightly less likely, imo. 

Some weird phrasing in this one

Just now, Thiefery said:

As far as the Rivals rankings go, Ketchum/OB really have that much sway?  Thought it was Mike Ferrell that was in charge of all that, and the reason why they are bad.......unless if you're an ou commit of course.

My understanding is Ferrell and the regional guys rank the guys at the top, the 5*s and well known 4*s so essentially their top 250, and they may or may not listen to the input they receive from the team site guys for that list. Then they lean on the team sites to help out with the rest. Rivals' top 250 is heavily weight on Rivals camps and offers/commitments. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

My understanding is Ferrell and the regional guys rank the guys at the top, the 5*s and well known 4*s so essentially their top 250, and they may or may not listen to the input they receive from the team site guys for that list. Then they lean on the team sites to help out with the rest. Rivals' top 250 is heavily weight on Rivals camps and offers/commitments. 

Yeah, It’s close to impossible to get in the Rivals top 250 if you don’t attend their camps, unless you’re an obvious 5 star. The guys that go to their camps aren’t usually horribly mis-ranked. It’s their omission of all the guys that should be more highly ranked but don’t go to their camps that makes their rankings so bad.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Nate Anderson from Frisco is emerging as an OL option...

A few months ago I watched the hudls of probably the top eight or so tackles in state this year and this kid probably had my second favorite film after Lindberg, including Garth (though I see his appeal as a high end pass blocker). Athletic, high motor and a good amount of nastiness.

obviously highlights are highlights and you really need full game film to make an evaluation, especially on OL, but very gruntled to hear we’re looking at him.

Edited by ChemicalHorn

Just now, ChemicalHorn said:

A few months ago I watched the hudls of probably the top eight or so tackles in state this year and this kid probably had my second favorite film after Lindbergh, including Garth (though I see his appeal as a high end pass blocker). Athletic, high motor and a good amount of nastiness.

obviously highlights are highlights and you really need full game film to make an evaluation, especially on OL, but very gruntled to hear we’re looking at him.

He has a ways to go in terms of technique, but the athleticism, frame, motor, and nasty are all there, as you pointed out. I'm a fan. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-weekend-march-29th-31st/

Bijan Robinson | In Focus
– Super K

As we noted last week, 2020 AZ RB Bijan Robinson (Salpointe Catholic) plans on taking an unofficial visit to Texas for the Spring Game. Robinson will be accompanied by his high school head coach and two assistant coaches from the Salpointe Catholic staff.

When I dropped by Salpointe Catholic earlier this year to see Bijan he had already begun hearing quite a bit from Bryan Carrington who it appears was laying the groundwork for this recruitment. Despite the fact that Texas came in much later than schools like USC, UCLA, OU, and others, Carrington and Drayton have put Texas in a position that a number of other out of state schools have not – namely, receiving an unofficial visit as opposed to an official visit.

I recall the specific description Bijan made about Carrington, “BC, I talk to BC. He’s super dope”.

Robinson’s uncle played running back for Arizona and then for the Cincinnati Bengals. Robinson’s father also played at Arizona. And, Robinson’s grandfather (mother’s father) is a long time PAC-12 official.

Football is in his DNA and he’s grown up around it, even, as his mother tells me, attending PAC 12 games.

Not surprisingly, Arizona was Bijan’s first offer. 

He’s already visited a number of schools unofficially including USC, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona and made a trip out to Michigan with his coach.

Bijan’s mother, Lamore, tells me that they’d ideally like to take their official visits during the spring and summer so that a decision can be made before the season starts.

I talk to Lamore a little bit about what they’re looking for in a program. I was impressed with the depth of her answers. 

“What I want to know is who is going to speak to the man Bijan will become, not just the athlete. He comes from great men and I want him to continue to be around great men”

In person, Bijan looks like the hulk, muscle development well beyond his age (well beyond most people, in general). 

“[Bijan] Always had a six-pack. The first time he entered a gym was in high school and people thought I’d be lifting for a long time. They’d say, we’d be in the gym for hours trying to achieve what you’ve been born with”.

But as a person, off the field, there is a stillness and tranquility in his demeanor – cool confidence. 

She continued, “He’s had great examples of great men in his life, God-fearing men, men who work hard. Bijan is a young man who loves God. ”

I remember hearing a Texas source tell me how Tom Herman and company value effort above all else. If you line up and don’t know what to do, just do whatever is you think you’re supposed to do as hard as you can. In other words, you can be excused for not knowing but there is no excuse for not giving you’re all.

As Lamore recounts, that seems to be the story of Bijan’s beginnings in football.

“Bijan has had a love and passion for football since he was a little boy. The very first time he played football on the very first play he returned a kick for a touchdown *pause* but he ran the wrong way and scored a touchdown for the other team! But that didn’t stop Bijan. He learned which direction he was supposed to go and he’s been scoring touchdowns ever since *pause( but for his team!”

Brennon Scott Visiting Texas
– Super K

A name we haven’t mentioned recently is 2020 linebacker, Brennon Scott (Bishop Dunne). I stopped by Bishop Dunne to see him earlier this year and at the time it really seemed like Texas and OU were standing out.

We saw Scott at the UA camp and I was personally surprised at how well he covers in space. He’s a bigger guy so it was a bit unexpected for me. And while he primarily plays outside backer for his school, he told me that Texas believes he can play multiple spots. After seeing him at the UA camp, I tend to agree.

Scott let me know recently that he will be at the Texas Spring Game. He didn’t talk about a decision timeline but my gut tells me that this might be one to watch for that weekend. Part of my reasoning here is that I know Oklahoma is only taking one ILB in this cycle and they have a few out of state targets visiting for their spring game. So, I’m not sure how heavy the communication has been on that end.

I’m currently on a personal overseas trip but I’ll be back middle of next week. When I return I plan on speaking to Scott again as the Spring Game gets closer to see how likely it is that we might see a shhh on his behalf on the Spring Game weekend. Also should note, with Josh White trending hard to LSU, Scott becomes that much more important.

Joel Williams Visiting
– CJ Vogel

It’s going to be a busy weekend on campus come Friday with Round-Up and Texas Baseball’s three game series against Xavier.

Regardless, it is going to be a good weekend for Texas to host recruits and they have a big one coming in.

Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) cornerback Joel Williams will be on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend (beginning March 29). The interest in Texas for Williams has been high for a while, having visited in June of 2018. He also has several ties to the program which should help keep the Longhorns in the thick of things in his recruitment.

Williams is cousins with former Longhorns Kyle Porter and Mike Williams and is close friends with current DE Malcolm Roach.

So far in his recruitment, Texas A&M and LSU have established themselves as the teams to beat for the 6’2″ lengthy CB.