Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Thoughts on being able to fit both Ty Jordan and Mookie Cooper into this class? They're similar players, although Jordan might be more of an APB, and maybe Mookie can be more of a slot/hback Percy role in this offense?

Do you see a similarity between Tre Watson's potential role in the offense and Ty Jordan's? Then perhaps Mookie Cooper gets the Jake Smith sell? This could be strengthened if Jamison wins snaps at the slot this season.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do you see a similarity between Tre Watson's potential role in the offense and Ty Jordan's? Then perhaps Mookie Cooper gets the Jake Smith sell? This could be strengthened if Jamison wins snaps at the slot this season.

I don't have a strong opinion on them yet. I'm hoping that Jordan is a guy who can legitimately function as a running back and also run routes from the slot, and Cooper is your Percy/Samuel/etc guy 

Adding those two in addition to Houston and Smith gives a lot more homerun ability to this offense 

Obviously, we'd also like to add Cain, Wright, Evans, Demas, and Omeire 

Edited by Fud

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

Thoughts on being able to fit both Ty Jordan and Mookie Cooper into this class? They're similar players, although Jordan might be more of an APB, and maybe Mookie can be more of a slot/hback Percy role in this offense?

So kinda like have Rainey and Harvin on the field together.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, I really thought they had more national titles. The only big school in a football crazy state with excellent recruiting grounds should have more than 2.

The blue bloods are Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC, Texas, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

Everyone else, like Florida, Miami, FSU, Georgia, LSU, PSU, UTjr, etc, are something else 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yes Mookie Cooper is recruited for the Jake Smith spot. He said that somewhere sometime ago

16 hours ago, Fud said:

This is a quote the brainiacs have from a source at Mookie's school:  "
“It’s a no-brainer right now where he’s going. Texas. That’s all he’s talking about is Texas”.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is a quote the brainiacs have from a source at Mookie's school:  "
“It’s a no-brainer right now where he’s going. Texas. That’s all he’s talking about is Texas”.

Yeah it seems the same way with Jordan 

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Imgur, bro...

Listen, man, I had to copy the link after inspecting the HTML from Sizzle. I can't help the back end dwigif.com uses. I'm sure someone else with a greater level of tech savvy can get it to a place where everyone can see it and it isn't in link form only. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, man, I had to copy the link after inspecting the HTML from Sizzle. I can't help the back end dwigif.com uses. I'm sure someone else with a greater level of tech savvy can get it to a place where everyone can see it and it isn't in link form only. 

Got it.  And my apologies.  I didn't realize you were retarded.  Let me help:

giphy.gif

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 3

IT snippet on Kelvontay Dixon:

On KELVONTAY DIXON...Just another Carthage prospect making the recruiting rounds? Not really. Dixon is special.

At 6’1, 175, and speed by the bundle, Dixon is equipped to succeed on offense or defense. He enjoyed Stars at Night as well.

“It was really good,” said Dixon. “We did heights, weights, then broad jumps. Then we got going into the camp.”

He spoke with coach Washington and coach Warehime. He worked out at Wide receivers, but is being recruited as an athlete.

TCU is recruiting him the hardest early. But the little brother of Texas tailback Keaontay Ingram will always have UT in the mix.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-1st/

Texas in the Lead for Mookie Cooper?
– Super K

If you don’t know 2020 WR/RB, Mookie Cooper yet, you will soon enough. Coaches at his school who have seen athlete after athlete come through the football factory, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis) compare him to Tavon Austin.

Though Trinity continues to churn out blue chip talent, it seems Cooper stands above all the rest. As one of his coaches put it, “he’s different. He’s been different all his life. He’s that dude. He’s *the* guy you go see even where there’s a lot of guys to see”

I happened to be speaking to some folks over Trinity recently and asked them about where things stand with Cooper and his recruitment. You’ll recall that Mookie took an unofficial visit to Texas back in June.

The quote of all quotes to answer my question of who Mookie’s early leader is was, “it’s a no-brainer right now where he’s going. Texas. That’s all he’s talking about is Texas”.

I’ll be speaking with Cooper in the near future to find out more about what exactly has propelled Texas to the top of his list.

– One offer that went out over the weekend was to West Mesquite (TX) ’20 RB Ty Jordan

This was an offer I wasn’t really expecting, but I heard Jordan looked fantastic at the camp. Jordan is an interesting prospect, he’s a smaller guy at 5’8 180 pounds but he’s a playmaker. He’s listed as a RB but he’s an all-purpose guy who can make an impact at RB, in the slot, and as a kickoff/punt returner. Just look at his sophomore stats. 777 rushing yards and 9 TD’s on 99 carries (7.8 YPC), 6 receptions for 158 yards and 2 TD’s (26.3 YPR), and 331 return yards and 2 TD’s. He does it all.

I had a quick conversation with him after the camp and after he received a Texas offer. He told me, “It was a lot of fun. I did not see the offer coming, it surprised me.” One thing that he told me that stood out was “just that the atmosphere was different. You can tell the coaches are all bought in.”

Texas was the first major offer for Jordan. He holds some other offers from schools like Houston, Utah, SMU, Illinois, and some others. So it’s safe to say Texas is in the pole position right now.

4-Star WR Troy Omeire Visited Austin Yesterday
– Super K

4-star 2020 wide receiver, Troy Omeire (Sugar Land, TX) visit Texas yesterday. Omeire was accompanied by his mother and this marked his second trip to Texas.

I asked a source close to Omeire if there are some schools standing out, “Just enjoying the process. It’s early. He loves every school right now”.

I’ll need to see Omeire in person before offering too much of an opinion on him. He’s obviously a big, strong, fast guy but you don’t get a chance to see what he does once someone gets ‘s physical with him at the LOS. You also don’t see a guy who is chopping his feet and sinking his hips. Instead, on film, I see a guy who is essentially using his athleticism and ball skills to win.

2020 QB Michael Henderson Receives Texas Offer
– Charlie S

– As we mentioned previously on the Donor Board, Michael Henderson was visiting Austin yesterday. While he was on campus, he picked up an offer from the Longhorns. As we also mentioned previously, he was expecting to pick up the offer.

Henderson is being recruited by Tim Beck as a quarterback.

However, he has a very open mindset as to his position in college. He has mentioned he is willing to play any position which will help him reach his goal of making it to the NFL.

“Quarterback is what I want to play, to be honest, and that’s what I’m focusing on. But I have to be realistic with things and if a college ends up telling me that we think you’d be best at another position, I’m willing.”

He went on to say “But also if playing another position is going to get me to the league, I’m definitely going to play it.”

We will have more on Henderson shortly.

Notes and Quotes from the Weekend
– Will Baizer

2020 DB Jaylon Jones – Steele (Cibolo, TX)

What really stood out about Texas? “Tradition and culture. Great feeling from the players and coaches. Just really felt amazing.”

If you don’t use Twitter, you probably missed that Jaylon Jones won the dunk contest at the Star at Night camp with a hurt hamstring, “Every time I play pick-up basketball, I’m always dunking on people. I figured I had to go big, so after I dunked over one person I had to dunk over three.”

2020 QB Malik Hornsby – Austin (Houston, TX)

As I stated before, the recruitment of Malik Hornsby may be that recruitment between Texas and Texas A&M for the 2020 cycle. He has swayed back-and-forth quite a bit.

Malik talked a bit about his relationship with Tim Beck, “He’s a great guy. We actually talk more than a lot of other coaches. He helped with my momma. He has a place in my heart.”

2020 DB Bryson Washington  – C.E. King (Houston, TX)

Washington is one of the top DB targets for Texas in the 2020 class. Texas feels like they are in a good place with Washington and from what we’re hearing, we have to agree with them.

What do you like about Texas? “I like Texas because it’s more family oriented. It’s a nice community. The school is beautiful, I mean, the sights around here are amazing.”

How was the camp? “I think overall the coaches did well, the players showed out, and it was a good camp.”

Washington noted that he was impressed with new Texas offeree Tyler Owens, “I worked with Coach Naivar with a few safeties… We did pretty well, me and a kid named Tyler [Owens]… I’ve never seen him before, but he’s pretty good.”

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

DeGabriel Floyd is going to whip about half our staff as far as recruiting effort. He's a machine.

Future Texas LB coach could be in the cards. He and mUTha hustla have been the real X-factors of the last two cycles, even with Mr. Shh Man and the man with strong Polynesian ties on our side.