Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

“I highly doubt Im overthinking this.”

—3 or 4 more lines of speculation to support his personal opinion, which doesnt align with any evidence to date—

i believe that is the definition of overthinking something. 

I highly doubt that. 

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

I thought Card had a good scrimmage. He threw the ball well and on time. His arm is really progressing and he is making the right reads. Some examples below:

I'd love to see some all 22 film on Card. How fast are his reads? I haven't watched a ton of his film, and I've seen him make throws that only his receiver can get, but I don't think I've seen him throw before someone made a break.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-monday-august-27th/

Zach Evans | Update 
– Super K

Recently, I was out at North Shore High School where I had a chance to see Zach Evans in action.

First, let me note, however, that a guy to keep an eye on is 2021 wide receiver, Shadrach Banks. He had a few big plays but the one that stood out to me was a shorter route where he got stuck right as he caught the ball and held on. Banks holds a few early offers but that list is going to blow up.

Evans had some nice runs. He’s just bigger and stronger than everyone else. But perhaps the three things that stood out more than anything else were…

***He took a shot to the groin on a tackle that looked extremely painful. I figured he was done for the day. After all, it was just a scrimmage. But no. He went back in and…

***Made a fantastic block on a cut back that sprung Shadrack (I believe) for a long touchdown. Seeing a five star running back who is willing to block, in a scrimmage, after going down. I like that…I like that.

***Evans is calm. It was very obvious the game moves slow for him. I think the first time he touched the ball all scrimmage he grabbed about 20 yards. But it was the way he did it. It looked effortless. He takes his time, sees space, explodes, cuts, explodes. Reminds of a Sun Szu’s “Art of War”. He’s strategic within the run.

If not for an ankle tackle, he probably would’ve housed it.

Recruiting

I left just before the scrimmage ended. So, I didn’t get a chance to speak with Zach but I did chat with a couple of his brothers.

They’re taking their time with things. This fall, however, they will take visits.

Zach’s brother, CJ, said they will absolutely attend at least one Texas game. I asked them if they’ll be at the USC game. CJ said that they already have plans to be at the Texas A&M vs. Clemson, and I do anticipate them making it to Austin for the USC game.

Top ’20 Target Sets Texas VIsit
– Andrew King

It’s still early for the 2020 class, but one recruit who has become a top Texas target is Hebron (TX) S Darius Snow.

It was a busy summer for Snow, as he took advantage of not having school and took visits to quite a few out of state schools. Those include Alabama, Georgia, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Clemson, LSU, and Stanford. Snow didn’t take any visits to in-state powers like Texas and Texas A&M as it’ll be easier to make those trips during the school year.

In fact, he already has two early-season visits set up. Including one to Texas when they take on USC on September 15th. He will also check out LSU-Miami this upcoming week as they open the season at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

Snow’s recruitment is going to be an interesting one, as he loves some out of state schools early on. I think Stanford and LSU lead in that category. He also has strong ties to Michigan State, as his father played there. Texas is a school he really likes as well.

There’s something else that could shake up his recruitment. Snow is already 6’1 and almost weighs 220 going into in junior year of high school. A lot of people think he will slide down to outside LB for college. But Snow tells me he wants nothing to do with that, telling me “I want to play safety. I have no interest in schools who have me at LB”. So that is something to watch and see how he develops over the next two years.

Regardless, Snow is a top target for Texas. It doesn’t matter where he plays in college. He’s’ the best defensive player to come out of Hebron High School since Jamal Adams back in 2015.

A few possible visitors in September, per IT:

Branard Wright, Dallas Carter - DT (2020): One of the top defensive linemen in-state for 2020, I'm a little surprised Wright doesn't hold a Texas offer. If/when he sees the 40 Acres, that will change. UT has identified him as a top target and are starting to build a relationship here. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder holds offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, and Florida State among his 20+ offers. 

Seth Figgins, Westlake Village (CA) - TE (2020): One of the top tight ends in the nation, Figgins earned his UT offer months ago. It doesn't hurt he's teammates with top '19 commit, De'Gabriel Floyd, and that his HS coach played with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran. He's visited once. I'll guess he visits again, on 9/15. 

Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (TX) - DE (2020): Possibly the best defensive end in Texas for 2020, Texas offered last spring and continue to push for the budding star. I know Dorbah will visit Austin again soon, and September might be the month. Texas looks good here early.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A few possible visitors in September, per IT:

Hide contents

Branard Wright, Dallas Carter - DT (2020): One of the top defensive linemen in-state for 2020, I'm a little surprised Wright doesn't hold a Texas offer. If/when he sees the 40 Acres, that will change. UT has identified him as a top target and are starting to build a relationship here. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder holds offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, and Florida State among his 20+ offers. 

Oscar Giles will get to him when he gets to him, dammit.

TFB on Mookie: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-29th/

2020 ATH Mookie Cooper: Cooper is expected to visit for the USC game. He loves Texas. He tells me he is eying a January commitment. This will be his second visit to Texas and he will be in town along with his friend and teammate, Marcus Washington.

This guy is absolutely electric. Texas hasn’t had a guy like this in the Burnt Orange, in a while.

Trending: Texas

Team to Watch: Illinois

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I just called in and listened to Geoff Ketchum's latest recruiting update on the 1-900 line and he called Mookie Cooper the closest thing he's seen to a "Dustin Miksch clone" in years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rivals top 250 updated, Texas rankings

1) Zach Evans RB
2) Seth McGowan RB
3) Demond Demas WR
4) Jase McClellan RB
5) RJ Mickens CB
6) Bryson Washington S
7) EJ Smith RB
8') Courtland Ford OT
9) Branard Wright DT
10) Troy Omeire WR
11) Dwight McGlothern CB
12) Lorando Johnson
13) Drew Sanders ATH
14) Ja'Quinden Jackson ATH
15) Collin Sullivan WR
16) Darius Snow S
17) Lejond Cavazos S
18) Logan Parr OT
19) Marvin Mims WR
20) Hudson Card QB 
21) Akinola Ogunbiyi OG
22) Prince Dorbah DE
23) Davon Graham WR
24) Malik Hornsby QB
25) James Sylvester DE
26) Chad Lindberg OT
27) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
28) Chris Thompson Jr S
29) Alec Bryant DE
30) Vernon Broughton DE
31) Brennon Scott LB
32) Zeriah Beason WR

Mookie Cooper is #93 in the nation

Edited by Fud

On 8/24/2018 at 9:49 PM, campcrunk said:

Holy shit. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon when he caught the pass on the first play. If you built a WR in a lab, I don't know that the result would look any better than those 4 highlights.

Is he the next Julio? Looks close enough. 

I know it’s stupid, but my mind wants to creep way ahead to the day when our vastly improved OL is giving RoJo plenty of time to throw to Demas and Smith and Whittington and Liebrock, with Evans hanging out in the flat just in case the QB wants to share the love and not take off on another 30-yard TD run himself. The 10-yard minimum offense will be kicked up to 20 and will be in full bloom against OU and every other pretender. I want to believe. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wish we'd stop fooling around and offer him and Wright.

Rivals not very high on Lindberg.

Are we looking at Ford or D. George on the OL?

Lulz at only 1/4 of the aggy OL commits on that list.  

I don't have much of an opinion about most of this class yet, especially the OL. The list is useful though as a way to become familiar with some of these names, although it being Rivals I'm assuming out of hand that the list sucks 

Broughton's mom says they are looking at a November/December commitment.  He's visiting the aggy/Clemson game so hopefully he visits for the USC game.

Sylvester is visiting aggy next week as well.  

Hopefully the staff can get Sylvester and Wright in for the USC game.  Would love to offer those 2 after a big win.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Broughton's mom says they are looking at a November/December commitment.  He's visiting the aggy/Clemson game so hopefully he visits for the USC game.

Sylvester is visiting aggy next week as well.  

Hopefully the staff can get Sylvester and Wright in for the USC game.  Would love to offer those 2 after a big win.

I don't know, how can we be sure Sylvester and Wright are good at football? It's so hard to tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Giles should offer Sylvester right after he witnesses the Clemson beat down.

Gotta hope a guy with the name Sylverster isn't swayed by the "I thot I thaw a puddy tat" chant that TAMU's resurgent elderly population are looking to popularize this year.

X-ref:

5 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Is he the next Julio? Looks close enough. 

I know it’s stupid, but my mind wants to creep way ahead to the day when our vastly improved OL is giving RoJo plenty of time to throw to Demas and Smith and Whittington and Liebrock, with Evans hanging out in the flat just in case the QB wants to share the love and not take off on another 30-yard TD run himself. The 10-yard minimum offense will be kicked up to 20 and will be in full bloom against OU and every other pretender. I want to believe. 

Agreed. I hate to crown a 16/17 year old kid as the next whoever, but damn, those are some impressive highlights.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I will steal SydneyCarton's handle on Surly and start posting rationally if Malik Hornsby signs with Texas. 

Out of curiosity, is this because Hornsby simply wants to be "the guy" and not have to deal with Card?

Or does it have more to do with the people Hornsby has around him?

2 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Out of curiosity, is this because Hornsby simply wants to be "the guy" and not have to deal with Card?

Or does it have more to do with the people Hornsby has around him?

Dude has a crew involved with his recruitment, including helicopter momma. Those types don't usually wind up at Texas. They'll keep after him, no doubt. I don't like the odds, nonetheless.