Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

A couple notes from IT:

On Herbert Gums.. the big junior - 6’2.5, 240 - out of Diboll is a prospect I’ve written about a few times this offseason, and has caught the eye of the Texas staff.

Gums holds a handful of offers - Arkansas, Houston, SFA - but is eager to hear from UT. I think he’s probably a 4i if he continues to grow.

His skills at running back remind me of former UT all conference athlete Lamarr Houston. LSU and Texas A&M are teams to watch here.

On Branard Wright... the 6’3, 300-pound Dallas Carter prospect might be the most promising 2020 interior defender in-state for his class. I could see an offer from UT in the near future.

The 2020 defensive line class is decent-to-good and Wright is one of the headliners. Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia are among the 20+ offers he holds.

If offered, Wright would be very interested in the Horns. I expect he'll visit Austin this fall.

On 8/11/2018 at 5:54 PM, cafe society said:

Ken Seals and his family lived in Azle, Tx, a not wealthy and formerly crime-ridden redneck outpost near Ft Worth.  Mama works at Weatherford High, an up and coming - in every way - area also not exactly a suburb but close to FW.  Weatherford is better than Azle in every way.  UIL ruled that Seals' transfer was solely based upon football and declared him ineligible for the past year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article195320029.html 

You left out the bit about the aggy booster's house.  I assume that portion is related to Hornsby...

If a school gives Evans a million, we should give him that plus 150k. I'm so sick of losing recruits bc they have an unsavory uncle or handler or whatever. Who gives a shit? I want to win, I don't give a shit if some dumbass kid is playing the game. 

The shadiest of recent memory is Cam Newton. Oh yeah what a disaster for Auburn! VY was worth a million easy. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Diboll you say?  Is jermichael Finley a friend of the program?  Brian Robison?

49 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Wasn't Brian Robison from Splendora?  

I think Pato del Muerto has confused one legendary longhorn with another. He typed Brian Robison, but he meant Lionel Garr. 

TFB on Hornsby: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-17th-19th/

Spoiler

Malik Hornsby | Live & in Person
– Super K

Last week, I went out to the “Members Only” workout session in the Houston area to see Texas 2020 quarterback target, Malik Hornsby (Fort Bend Marshall). I hadn’t had a chance to see him throw or move around in person. So, I remedied that.

While one might see Hornsby’s athleticism and assume he’s going to end up playing another position in college, he insists that isn’t the case. He tells me that he is a quarterback through and through.

There’s not doubt he’s athletic. But, Hornby can sling it. He has some work to do to continue to develop his accuracy but with the help of quarterback coach, JP Tillman along with more time on the field, I have little doubt he will. One thing appears certain, he has the arm to make all the throws.

Unlike many high school quarterbacks who hold division one offers, Hornsby didn’t grow up going to quarterback training sessions every week.

So, what you’re looking at is pure upside.

He’s made big strides in the past few months, but he’s still a young man who hasn’t scratched the surface of what he will become.

Watching him, you see a Tom Herman quarterback in every sense. Again, he’s as athletic as a defensive back with a big arm. Herman’s had success with guys similar to Hornsby and I suspect Herb Hand had a few guys with similar traits to Hornsby over at Auburn.

While at the event, I spoke with Hornsby but we didn’t go into any detail regarding recruiting. I was primarily there to get an up-close look at how Malik moves, throws, takes instruction and interacts with others. Again, I liked what I saw. I really noted his attitude. Took coaching well, looked his coach in the eye and was responsive to instruction and correction.

Also, loved his infectious attitude. He has leadership qualities. Hornsby has a presence about him but is fun to be around. He cuts up with the other guys. He dances. He’s comfortable in his own skin.

In terms of recruiting, I think my initial thoughts on the possibility that Roschon Johnson may work against Texas, were a bit overblown. Talking to more and more people around Hornsby, it sounds like Johnson isn’t going to have an effect on Malik’s decision and Texas is really one of the top players in this recruitment.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:42 AM, Machinator said:

TFB on Hornsby: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-17th-19th/

Hide contents

Malik Hornsby | Live & in Person
– Super K

Last week, I went out to the “Members Only” workout session in the Houston area to see Texas 2020 quarterback target, Malik Hornsby (Fort Bend Marshall). I hadn’t had a chance to see him throw or move around in person. So, I remedied that.

While one might see Hornsby’s athleticism and assume he’s going to end up playing another position in college, he insists that isn’t the case. He tells me that he is a quarterback through and through.

There’s not doubt he’s athletic. But, Hornby can sling it. He has some work to do to continue to develop his accuracy but with the help of quarterback coach, JP Tillman along with more time on the field, I have little doubt he will. One thing appears certain, he has the arm to make all the throws.

Unlike many high school quarterbacks who hold division one offers, Hornsby didn’t grow up going to quarterback training sessions every week.

So, what you’re looking at is pure upside.

He’s made big strides in the past few months, but he’s still a young man who hasn’t scratched the surface of what he will become.

Watching him, you see a Tom Herman quarterback in every sense. Again, he’s as athletic as a defensive back with a big arm. Herman’s had success with guys similar to Hornsby and I suspect Herb Hand had a few guys with similar traits to Hornsby over at Auburn.

While at the event, I spoke with Hornsby but we didn’t go into any detail regarding recruiting. I was primarily there to get an up-close look at how Malik moves, throws, takes instruction and interacts with others. Again, I liked what I saw. I really noted his attitude. Took coaching well, looked his coach in the eye and was responsive to instruction and correction.

Also, loved his infectious attitude. He has leadership qualities. Hornsby has a presence about him but is fun to be around. He cuts up with the other guys. He dances. He’s comfortable in his own skin.

In terms of recruiting, I think my initial thoughts on the possibility that Roschon Johnson may work against Texas, were a bit overblown. Talking to more and more people around Hornsby, it sounds like Johnson isn’t going to have an effect on Malik’s decision and Texas is really one of the top players in this recruitment.

Why would Roschon affect Malik more than Hudson?

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

247 has put out updated (non-composite) rankings.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Malik Hornsby is... 12th in the country?

Card is 108th.

150 spots up is a hell of a fucking jump. If card has a good season he'll move up as well. Honestly having him around 100 with only a few games at QB is pretty generous, IMO. 

Demas in the 40s feels plenty lolzy. And then of course we have the Oscar Giles Laugh track of Alec Bryant, Branard Wright, and James Sylvester.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

150 spots up is a hell of a fucking jump. If card has a good season he'll move up as well. Honestly having him around 100 with only a few games at QB is pretty generous, IMO. 

Demas in the 40s feels plenty lolzy. And then of course we have the Oscar Giles Laugh track of Alec Bryant, Branard Wright, and James Sylvester.

The same Demas that virtually every analyst says looks like young Julio Jones? Ok sure.

Also I know we keep saying it but wtf is up with our DL strategy? You'd think Herman or someone else would have kicked Giles' chair out from under him and told him to pick up the phone on the obvious offers.

Mike at Night: Thoughts on latest update to Top247 for 2020

— The national team released an

updated Top247 for the 2020 class today, and I thought I’d give some thoughts on the process. Before I start, as a guy who has done his own set of rankings before, I feel like it’s a tough task no matter what. Do you evaluate for the college or professional level? Do you see things in some guys that others don’t? You can’t please everyone, but I think the discussion is the best part. There are guys that EJ and I disagree on, and I’ve had spirited arguments with other media members about them.

— Galena Park North Shore running back Zach Evans checked in at No. 5overall, and I think that’s a suitable range for him. Evans is a guy who has the ability to challenge for the top spot in the nation with his unbelievable blend of size and speed. I’ve been officially covering recruiting since the 2015 class, and I’ve been following high school recruiting since 2005. To me, Evans is in the argument for the best I’ve ever seen.

— I haven’t watched all of the out-of-state prospects on the list, but Sav'ell Smalls and Justin Flowe are both ranked ahead of Evans. I’ve seen Flowe in person, and I’ve watched tape on both of them. I don’t know that they are definitively better than Evans, but I can tell you they aren’t definitively worse. Both are incredible players at higher positions of value.

— The Top 10 is littered with guys who have Texas offers. That part should be expected, but the real question is, can they land any of them? Outside of Evans, I wouldn’t say the chances are particularly strong with any of the other prospects. If I had to pick one out of state prospect in that group, it would definitely be Kelee Ringo. The Longhorns are putting down roots in Arizona thanks to the connections of Tim Beck, and Jason Washington will be heavily involved.

— The most electric player on the list is Houma (La.) Terrebonne wide receiver Jakhi Douglas.  If you're looking for the next Percy Harvin, he is your guy.  It is often said that dynamite comes in small packages, and Douglas personifies that.  At 5-foot-9, 184 pounds, Douglas is an insane athlete who has tested multiple times in the sub-4.4 range to go along with a huge vertical and broad jump ability.  From what I know, Alabama, LSU and Florida are in the top group for him, but it is worth throwing your hat in the ring if you're Texas.

— Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby checks in at No. 12 after making one of the largest jumps on the list. That puts him squarely in five-star range which should only turn up the heat of that recruitment. As I reported last night, this is coming down to Texas and Texas A&M very early on, but don’t be surprised to see some big names jump into the fray. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Penn State have yet to put offers on the table for him, but he's due for a big season at a strong program.

— Hudson Card checks in at No. 108, and he has the potential to rocket up the list in his first full season at quarterback for Lake Travis. He already made the leap from 171, and it’s very possible he puts up a monster season with the weapons and system around him at Lake Travis. If Card makes the full transition to quarterback that everyone expects, I’d say Texas got a massive win getting him in early. I think he has the potential to be a Top 50 national prospect, and that speaks to other kids they are recruiting.

— Of the players listed in the Top247, I’d say that Texas is in a good position with the following: Zach Evans (5), Malik Hornsby (12), Demond Demas (43), Ja'Quinden Jackson (52), Chris Thompson (54), Chad Lindberg (76), Jaylon Jones (102), Darius Snow (110), Troy Omeire (143) and Jaylen Garth (191).

— Of the players listed in the Top247, I’d like to see Texas offer the following: Alec Bryant (78), Branard Wright (114), Marvin Mims (145), Jake Majors (159), EJ Smith (194), James Sylvester (212), and Jerrin Thompson (222). We’ve discussed Bryant at length, Branard Wright is far and away the best defensive tackle in the state, Mims and EJ Smith are both explosive offensive playmakers, and Sylvester has a ton of potential from the edge. Majors is probably the player in-state I’m banging the drum for. He’s a highly skilled, highly intelligent offensive lineman with a great frame and room to grow. He already holds a Stanford offer, and I could see him following Walker Little and Branson Bragg down that road.

— I’d put the following players in the ranked too low category: Branard Wright (114), EJ Smith (194), James Sylvester (212), Seth McGowan (220). If you asked me who should be ranked but didn’t make the list from the state of Texas, I’d say the following have the potential to make huge jumps this year: Prince Dorbah (Highland Park), Bryson Washington (Houston C.E. King), Jalen Kimber (Mansfield Timberview) and Devon Achane (Fort Bend Marshall).

— Thirty-one Texans made the list, which accounts for 12.5 percent of the total. I think that Texas is in a good spot early on for roughly half of that group. If Tom Herman and his team can make a big jump on the field this year they would be set up for a strong haul in a really talented class.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding all of the DT non-offers, apparently, and I'm being serious here, our OG has argued the point that the staff needs to wait until this fall to see them further before getting serious about offering any of them.

OG as in Offensive guard or OG as in Original Gangster a.k.a Orlando?

Just now, closetojumping said:

OG is our very own original gangsta, but it ain't Todd Orlando. You're overthinking this one.

I highly doubt I am over thinking this as I find it extremely unlikely that a position coach on this staff would avoid offering a player so that they didn't have to recruit them. Therefore the most probably answer is that Orlando wants to instead spend several months observing players and only offering players that have the highest upside before sending his position coach who is an elite closer to steal the recruits away from other programs.

38 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I highly doubt I am over thinking this as I find it extremely unlikely that a position coach on this staff would avoid offering a player so that they didn't have to recruit them. Therefore the most probably answer is that Orlando wants to instead spend several months observing players and only offering players that have the highest upside before sending his position coach who is an elite closer to steal the recruits away from other programs.

are you a sock?  You seem like a sock.

13 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

“I highly doubt Im overthinking this.”

—3 or 4 more lines of speculation to support his personal opinion, which doesnt align with any evidence to date—

i believe that is the definition of overthinking something.