Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sure. But Colt isn't the norm. We projected that Buechele would be able to similarly put on weight, and that hasn't happened. 

Hudson is 6'2", 170 .lbs and is not yet a junior.  That's the same size as Colt was in March of his Sr. year. In other words, 20 months before March of his Sr. year, he's already the same size as Colt was.

But if you want to piss your pants because a 16 year old kid who is 2-3 years from playing a game at UT isn't big enough, be my guest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Hudson is 6'2", 170 .lbs and is not yet a junior.  That's the same size as Colt was in March of his Sr. year. In other words, 20 months before March of his Sr. year, he's already the same size as Colt was.

But if you want to piss your pants because a 16 year old kid who is 2-3 years from playing a game at UT isn't big enough, be my guest.

Where do you get that I'm "pissing my pants" dumbfuck? I'm pointing out that you can't assume other beanpole high school QBs will put on weight the same way Colt did. If every single high school QB followed the same path as Colt, we woudn't have sucked shit through a straw for the last decade. 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Where do you get that I'm "pissing my pants" dumbfuck? I'm pointing out that you can't assume other beanpole high school QBs will put on weight the same way Colt did. If every single high school QB followed the same path as Colt, we woudn't have sucked shit through a straw for the last decade. 

Sorry ... "pissing your pants"  was an oblique referenced to the discussion on the 2019  thread. I most certainly didn't mean that.  I meant to say "If you want to whine and cry and stamp your foot up and down like a little girl because a 16 year old kid who is 2-3 years from playing a game at UT isn't big enough, be my guest. "

• Like 5

IT

Despite recruiting being a bit quiet, we do have the build up to the late July recruiting event that has historically been a boon to UT's class efforts, dating back to Charlie Strong's initial event in the Summer of 2014. 

Justin and Joe will also descend on DFW for a talent-laden camp. 

STATE OF RECRUITING 

The Texas staff has been prepping the guest list for its second event in as many months. A couple teaser names include a trio from Zona - Jake Smith (Scottsdale, AZ - Notre Dame Prep) returning to Austin for the first time since his commitment, Noa Pola Gates (Gilbert, AZ - Williams Field HS) who will make his first trip to Texas and has the Horns in his top group of schools, Kelee Ringo (Scottsdale, AZ - Saguaro HS) who might be the nation's best cornerback in 2020 and who plays for the same program Tim Beck once led. Add 2021 defensive end Landyn Watson (Hutto, staff prioritized him at camp) who is a name to remember that we discussed in the Scoop, 2020 cornerback Lorando Johnson (Lancaster) and perhaps most importantly, wide receiver Marcus Washington (St. Louis, MO - Trinity Catholic HS) who we watched last week at The Opening.

We'll have a much more comprehensive list over the next couple weeks. Expect many more names to materialize.

Under Armour/PRIME 21 is holding its camp on Saturday at Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill. It's mainly an opportunity to see the best 2020-2021 prospects in the region, but also guys from Florida, California, and Louisiana. Here’s who I’ll be looking at this weekend.

DB Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek) 2020: The teammate of 2020 stud Alec Bryant is one of many FBS talents at the new school. Alford is good, but I want to see how good.

DB Tevin Griffey (Dr Phillips, Orlando) 2020: All I know is if I see his father, Ken Griffey Jr, I'm going fanboy by rapping to him.

DB Lorando Johnson (Lancaster) 2020: It's been a few years since coach Chris Gilbert had a stud like Johnson. Maybe Omar Manning. He's a little on the short side, but makes up for it with dynamic athleticism. He's visiting Austin soon too.

DB Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele) 2020: While most feel Dwight McGlothern is the state's top cover corner, his future might be safety. That means Jones is my top guy at CB. He's visited Texas a few times and I anticipate many more. Of course Ohio State offered.

DB RJ Mickens (Southlake Carroll) 2020: One of the state's best regardless of position, the A&M legacy can lock you down. Everyone assumes he's College Station bound, but watch out for OU.

DB Elias Ricks (Mater Dei) 2020: If Ringo is the best corner on the west coast, Ricks is No. 2. He earned an Opening invite and subsequent Texas offer last week. Texas wants him on campus before the season starts.

DB Jerrin Thompson (Lufkin) 2020: The ETX safety leads a super-talented Lufkin group into 2018. He's got some nice, early offers including OU last week, but coach Naivar is on the case. 

DB Chris Thompson Jr (Duncanville) 2020: The nation's top safety will make the 20-minute drive to Cedar Hill to show everyone why he's No. 1 in the nation for 2020. Texas looks good here. Real good.

DB Joel Williams (Madison Prep) 2020: The plus+ athlete and Texas target has plans on seeing Austin at some point. UT likes him as a defensive back, which is where he sees himself, but this kid will be tough to pull from LSU. Plays at Malcolm Roach's alma mater.

QB Malik Hornsby (Houston Austin) 2020: Recognize the name? Yeah, Hornsby will be at Cedar Hill throwing BBs on Saturday. I really hope his entourage isn't there, but I have my doubts. I'll catch up with the kid Inside Texas knew about before most colleges.

QB Brendon Lewis (Melissa) 2020: His brother, Kennedy, just committed to TCU weeks after a Texas offer. Brendon looked great at State 7v7 and has a nice game. Dual-threat that stays in the pocket often.

QB Shadeur Sanders (Trinity Christian) 2020: Deion's other participant, Shadeur actually visited UT in the Spring. That's probably as close at the Horns will get with the talented passer from 2020.

QB Ken Seals (Weatherford) 2020: While Sanders displays elite athletic traits, Seals is the guy I'd take of the two DFW area dudes. He's seen a lot of schools this off-season, and garnered some nice offers.

RB Zachary Evans (North Shore) 2020: The best wants to be around the best. After he missed the Opening last week, we're eager to see the best running back the state has produced this decade.

RB Ty Jordan (West Mesquite) 2020: Under-the-radar, sorta, Jordan has elite speed and is well built. The crop of in-state running backs for 2020 is really deep. Jordan is one reason.

RB Jase McClellan (Aledo) 2020: The OU commit is another talented workhorse in the state. 

RB Seth McGowan (Mesquite Poteet) 2020: McGowan is another guy I'd love to see Texas take - with Evans - in 2020's cycle. Hails from the Land of Malik, Seth is big and fast at around 6-foot-1, 205 pounds. Oh yeah, he's also ranked No. 1 in his class. Incredible work ethic.

WR Shadrach Banks (North Shore) 2020: When you see North Shore raise a 6A State Championship trophy in 2020, Evans and Banks will be two main reasons. Explosive athlete with ability after the catch. Could play defense in college.

WR Zeriah Beason (Bishop Dunne) 2020: Maybe not as polished as his Illinois-bound brother (Marques), but probably a safer take. I can see him on both sides of the ball, much like big bro.

WR Quinshone Bright (Cedar Hill) 2020: He wears sunglasses because his future is so...luminous. Excellent burst. He's transitioning from an APB to slot.

WR DJ Graham (Keller Central) 2020: Graham is a guy Texas really likes. He's already visited Austin and attended UT's summer camp.

WR Marvin Mims (Lone Star) 2020: Eric wrote about this guy recently because he knows talent. So does Texas, who will pursue more in good time.

WR Troy Omeire (FB Austin) 2020: I've liked Omeire ever since his Opening Regional performance in Houston. Big kid, good hands, decent body control. He's like Sloan Thomas; won't wow you like higher rated dudes, but if coached up, he produces at the P5 level.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Rockwall) 2020: A big, outside target from the Land of Chris Warren. He's already got a few nice offers.

WR Collin Sullivan (Round Rock) 2020: The best receiver from his class in the 512, Texas likes him, they just don't love him. Big-time production + weight room sessions could change that.

TE Elijah Yelverton (Bishop Dunne) 2020: Here's a kid Texas has identified as a possible take at tight end for 2020. Very raw with very little tape. His junior year looms large.

E.J. Holland: Offensive recruiting tidbits from Prime 21

— Elite 2021 quarterback Shedeur Sanders is firmly on UT’s radar. He made a visit in the spring and said a Texas offer would mean a lot to him. The son of NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders already holds major offers from Florida, Florida State, Louisville, LSU, Oregon and others.

— Five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans is focusing on the schools in his Top 25 for now but will narrow his list down to 10 when the regular season opens on August 31. Evans has a great relationship with Stan Drayton and enjoys their film sessions. He is looking to make another visit to Texas after the dead period and remains high on the Longhorns.

— Four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire told me that Texas and Texas A&M are the two schools standing out the most to him early on. Omeire plans to make a visit to Texas after the dead period with his mother and is forming a strong bond with Corby Meekins. Omeire, however, said A&M has the edge over UT at this time.

— Four-star 2020 Rockwall wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba is really enjoying the recruiting process and has had a lot of contact with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer. Smith-Njigba is looking to visit Texas after the dead period. He said an offer from the Longhorns would be huge for his recruitment. Smith-Njigba holds several major offers.

— Rising 2020 Round Rock wide receiver Collin Sullivan is remaining patient and hopeful when it comes to obtaining a Texas offer. Sullivan visited UT for junior day back in February and has extremely high interest in the program. The local product holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Northwestern and others.

— Rising 2020 The Colony athlete Myles Price has had a lot of contact with Texas after making noise at the Dallas satellite camp. Price said he is working out the details but hopes to visit Texas on July 27. One of the more versatile players in the state for next cycle, Price projects as a slot receiver. He holds offers from North Texas, SMU and TCU.

— Texas tight ends coach Derek Warehime has been in contact with 2020 tight end Elijah Yelverton, who holds several P5 offers. Yelverton said an offer for Texas would be big for his recruitment, and we wouldn’t be surprised if a scholarship eventually came his way.

Mike Roach: Defensive recruiting nuggets from Prime 21

—Trinity Christian Cedar Hill safety Lewis Cine is working on setting up some visits for the fall, and he’d like to make a decision in October. Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Georgia and Florida are his final five. Cine said that no school held an edge, but Texas is recruiting him extremely hard, and he’s beginning to know Craig Naivar more on a personal basis.

—Rising 2020 Waco Connally cornerback Korie Black had a great time camping at Texas this summer. He’s been in heavy contact with Jason Washington since visiting for the event. Black said he’s building a strong relationship with Washington, and he feels an offer could be coming.

—Four-star 2020 Miami Central (Fla.) corner Henry Gray had some early contact with Texas. The Miami commit said if Texas offered he would be interested in taking a visit. Gray said former Texas safety DeShon Elliott was one of his favorite college players to watch.

— Elite 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks is excited about his Texas offer. He’s been talking more to Jason Washington. He wanted to visit Texas during this weekend, but he couldn’t due to the dead period. Ricks is looking at scheduling an unofficial visit to Austin this spring for the USC game.

—Four-star 2020 Lancaster cornerback Lorando Johnson is being closely evaluated by Texas. Jason Washington has been evaluating him throughout the spring and summer. Johnson plans to visit Austin on July 27, and he’s hopeful an offer will come.

— Four-star 2020 Southlake Carroll DB RJ Mickens visited Austin during the spring and has had some contact with the coaching staff. He’s been told that he will hear from them more following September 1. If an offer comes, the Longhorns will still be a factor in his recruitment.

— Four-star 2020 Duncanville safety Chris Thompson has no plans to make visits after the dead period. The four-star prospect had a busy spring and summer, but he said he’s focused on preparing for the upcoming high school season. He’s still really high on Texas at this point.

— Rising 2020 Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep athlete Joel Williams picked up a Texas offer after visiting during the summer. Williams said he enjoyed his time on campus and loved the facilities. He is in contact often with Jason Washington, and he said he hopes to return for a visit during the fall.

—Mansfield Timberview DB Jalen Kimber camped at Texas earlier this season and caught the eye of Texas cornerback coach Jason Washington. Kimber said that Texas caught his eye as well, and he’s looking forward to returning on July 27. Kimber said he enjoyed his time at camp this summer, and he wants to get back for a more in-depth visit.

—Four-star 2020 Cibolo Steele cornerback Jaylon Jones described the Texas offer he received as “special.” The four-star prospect loves the pitch of playing for his home state school, and he has a good relationship with Jason Washington. Jones said he’s high on Texas A&M as well, and he plans to visit Texas on July 27 if he can make it.

—Rising 2020 Fort Bend Marshall cornerback Avery Helm said he had a good camp with Texas earlier in the summer. He’s remained in contact in with Jason Washington and he really likes the program early on. Helm is hopeful that an offer is coming down the line.

I think we are going to clean up next year in recruiting. We seem to be in a great place with many of the elite in state recruits and are beginning have a national presence.

The new car smell will be replaced with raw sewage and desperation in college station, Herman will hopefully have upward trajectory to sell, and won’t be hampered by a top 3 class the year prior with respect to depth/playing time.

18 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I think we are going to clean up next year in recruiting. We seem to be in a great place with many of the elite in state recruits and are beginning have a national presence.

The new car smell will be replaced with raw sewage and desperation in college station, Herman will hopefully have upward trajectory to sell, and won’t be hampered by a top 3 class the year prior with respect to depth/playing time.

Yep.  Barring a complete shitting the bed you have to feel real good about Evans, Demas, Lindberg, the 2 Duncanville kids, Garth, and J. Jones.  Probably throw in Washington and Cooper OOS.  And Bryant is a Texas lock if/when offered.

Any reason Branard Wright has yet to be offered?  Dude looks like a beast.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep.  Barring a complete shitting the bed you have to feel real good about Evans, Demas, Lindberg, the 2 Duncanville kids, Garth, and J. Jones.  Probably throw in Washington and Cooper OOS.  And Bryant is a Texas lock if/when offered.

Any reason Branard Wright has yet to be offered?  Dude looks like a beast.

We felt good about Leal and Wilson as recently as March.

Garth I agree with, but Demas also likes Bama and Lindberg Stanford 

Our classes will be fine, but it's too early to assume some of these guys specifically will be in our class, imo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Our classes will be fine, but it's too early to assume some of these guys specifically will be in our class, imo 

Plus aTm isn’t going to let us just clear the board like that without opening the check book for handlers and such

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Yeah I think being pessimistic is a minor character flaw and still think that's too much kool-aid. We're in a lot of top 2s, 3s, 5s, and 10s, just like we want to be, but there's some real fighting to come.

Lindberg especially feels like Little and Bragg redux, but Mrs. Card seems like an asset for that kind of recruit that RoJo's fam just couldn't be.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, DeAngelloBeige said:

Plus aTm isn’t going to let us just clear the board like that without opening the check book for handlers and such

That check book was opened 6 months ago and has remained open, and it will continue to be open well into the future with the hire of Austin Thomas. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That check book was opened 6 months ago and has remained open, and it will continue to be open well into the future with the hire of Austin Thomas. 

the red flag parade that was this dude trying to land another job was hilarious. My guess is that after those shenanigans Tenn and LSU (at a minimum) will have no trouble turning Aggy in to the SEC home office when they step outside of the "allowed" lines in conference. 

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the red flag parade that was this dude trying to land another job was hilarious. My guess is that after those shenanigans Tenn and LSU (at a minimum) will have no trouble turning Aggy in to the SEC home office when they step outside of the "allowed" lines in conference. 

I think that had more to do with how that guy WANTED to run recruiting versus the things he had done. We'll see. But LSU is LSU, and Tennessee is ramping up their efforts as well. Pruitt is happy to follow the Kirby Smart model.