Do you have a parent or child that you don’t like?

XYZ

35 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Neither... I'm toooootally agreeing with you... let's not get upset, stay calm.. h-h-have a seat, here on the couch.....

Truth be told the sanity part.. You're posting here, and claiming sanity...

I post here because I am a people watcher. I just enjoy the show. 

16 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I have two daughters.  My oldest is a clone of her mother, and my youngest is a lot more like me.  I love them both dearly, but I understand what others say when mentioning "favorites."  I don't want to have a favorite; I don't try to have a favorite... it unfortunately almost comes natural.  

Parents - I love mine, and my wife always finds shit to nit-pick about them.  Drives me nuts, b/c I am an extremely loving and easy going person, and I could never imagine in a million years finding reasons to not be around her family.

My brother used to be quite the asshole, but has since grown up.  Throughout our life we have said various things to each other that have made it hard to have a normal relationship.  We're just fine when we are together, but we each live our separate lives.  If I were to do it all over again, I would have done everything I could to have him as a best friend.

Brother?  I couldn’t have typed that better 

I think I have favorites, but then I think about it and I think it stems more from the age.  My oldest is my “favorite”, although I’m considerably harder on her. My middle one is no doubt the most fun, coolest, and just generally a blast. She might be my new favorite, actually.  Then there’s my baby.  She’s the smartest, and meanest.  I would trade the other two for her.  See what I mean?  I can’t pick a favorite unless you mold them all into one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love my dad more than I love my mom.  She wasn't abusive or anything but I always had a sense that my dad would sacrifice anything for us kids, and Mom... not so much.  They were divorced.  I lived my early years with Mom, then moved in with Dad before middle school.  Both parents were in agreement that we should go live across town with Dad because he lived near better schools.  But even as a 6th grader I knew it was a little fucked up.  Legally, Mom had custody, why didn't she just move to that same area?  It wasn't any more expensive.  How do you encourage your kids to go live with the other parent when it's in your means to not do that?  Even as a kid those thoughts occurred to me.  She also bitched about my Dad a lot.  Nothing major but just lots of little jabs about him daily.  I'm sure my Dad didn't have a high opinion about my mom by then but he never let us know about it.  He rarely mentioned her and only said nice things about her if he did.  

When I was in high school my mom got remarried and moved from Austin to Houston for the new husband's job.  I liked the guy but even as a high school kid who didn't really want to hang out with Mom much, it hurt that she could just give up her time with us like that.  Meanwhile my dad dated other women and broke up with more than a few that he said took too much time from his obligations as a dad.  He didn't finally make time to start a new life of his own until we were grown and out of the house.  The woman he married 20 years ago is amazing and is every bit as much a grandmother to my kids as my own mom is.  Come to think of it I probably love her more than my own mom too.  

Today we all live within a half hour of each other.  I see my dad about once every other week, we have breakfast or lunch or go for a hike, and we chat on text almost daily.  I see my mom once every few months, usually just because there's some other family function we both happen to be at.

Edited by Your Mom

On 7/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I post here because I am a people watcher. I just enjoy the show. 

You are the guy that got a framed cow turd from your father....and loved it!! Haha, you are just as fucked up as the rest of us. I still want you to post a pic of Bevo's turd, you bastard. I've been jelly ever since you posted about it. 

8 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

You are the guy that got a framed cow turd from your father....and loved it!! Haha, you are just as fucked up as the rest of us. I still want you to post a pic of Bevo's turd, you bastard. I've been jelly ever since you posted about it. 

But...your avatar. 

On 7/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Do siblings count?  My brother is probably the most narcissistic person I've ever encountered in my life.  Haven't spoken to him in 9 years nor have my parents.  He doesn't know I'm married, have a kid, that my grandparents died, nothing.  He cut all contact with us in 2010.  We all tried to find out what's up but stopped attempting after a few years.  He's alive and well in California teaching at a university.  He just doesn't want anything to do with us.  I guess we're fucked up or something.

How do your parents feel about your brother? Have they written him off, so to speak?

Where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

• Like 2

There’s an acquaintance of mine whom I saw a while back.

Me: what’s your son up to? (her son has been a heroin addict for a while, with periods of recovery and relapse and all that)

Her: right about now he’s probably breaking into my house to steal stuff to buy drugs

How do you deal with something like that? Expecting, knowing, that your son will be stealing from you.

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Yeah but you made it through med school and probably still enjoy summers in Rangoon so there's that.  Love both my parents.  Neither have ever stated or given any indication of such but i'd guess if they had to pick only one between us mom would pick me and my father my brother.    

Edited by RollLeft