LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

Playing a really bad opponent makes it difficult to draw any but the most elementary conclusions.  FCS Georgia Southern fits that description to a T.  Poor, one-dimensional offense led to short drives ending in punt or turnover.  Consequently LSU was on a short field all night.  GSU's defense was in a 2 high safety look with 5-6 man box most of the night.  Usually that's an invitation to run.  It also makes it difficult to disguise blitzes and coverage schemes.
LSU generally used about half of the 40 second play clock.  That is definitely faster than last year.  It may give some SEC opponents difficulty but it's old hat to Orlando.  That's a standard to slow pace in the Big XII.  The replay video missed the first drive but of Burrow's 21 pass attempts I saw, he completed 18 of them. I frankly didn't believe the stat line when I saw 24 of 27 but it makes a lot more sense on viewing.  What I saw was dominated by ultra-short pass completions (5 yards or less) with many of them behind the LOS.
12 of the 18 completions were in the ultra-short zone.  5 were clearly behind the line.  All of those should have been in front of the defender.  Of the other 6 completed passes, 3 were short (6-10 yds), 2 intermediate (11 and 16 yds) and one long (35 yds).  Average completion was 5 yds past the LOS.  YAC against simple, static scheme and inferior athletes seems to have accounted for approximately half the passing yardage.  It definitely helped that GSU couldn't get any pressure (zero sacks and QBH).

What is interesting to me is that what was already a mediocre LSU running game last season managed to look worse against such a weak opponent.  3.7 YPC when there were no sacks to distort the average is not good.  That's doubly true where the opponent makes no special effort to stop the run.  After watching the game, it's clear that the OL still has a serious problem giving up penetration.  LSU surrendered 7 TFLs and they are fortunate that the number was so low. 
GSU defenders were in the backfield repeatedly.  They just weren't athletic enough to finish the play in many cases.  The number of TFLs could easily have been double against a better defense.  LSU's OL were also pretty poor trying to pick off defenders in space in the screen game.  The WRs did a much better job blocking on the perimeter than the linemen.

Pluses: Burrow showed good accuracy even if the passes were mostly very easy.  He got the ball out quickly 70-75% of the time.  No sacks and very little pressure allowed.  Only 2 drops by the WRs.
Minuses: No consistent running game.  OL still looked slow and could not keep defenders out of gaps.  Not really tested or challenged since week 1 opponent was terribad.

Conclusion: Burrow was very accurate throwing short passes to initial pre-snap reads or short check downs with 4-5 seconds in the pocket and minimal pressure.  He's still hit or miss on intermediate to long balls.  He won't have many clear reads next week.  I doubt he'll have anywhere near that amount of time or protection either.  Not being tested yet, we have no idea if that accuracy will hold up when screens don't get it done or he has a defender in his face.  A lot of the bubble screens and short hitches will get stopped on the spot by better defenses.  Throwing the ball a bunch against a bad defense that has no ability to turn you over or create negative plays is low risk.  It often translates poorly against good defenses,  Just ask Mike Leach.
I have even less concern about LSU's running game now than before week 1.  An FCS team stopped them pretty well just playing an honest box.  That's a lot worse than the bowl game where a G5 defense had to load the box to achieve a slightly better result (against the run at least).  I can see Texas playing a lot of dime with a 5 man box (3-2) and 2 overhangs

that’s all fine and dandy, and you obviously saw what you wanted to see to the exclusive of other things. we’ll see this Saturday.

but again, for accuracy’s sake...GaSo is an FBS program, not FCS, that was 10–3 last year with a bowl win.

they’re the exact same level as LaTech. and that you didn’t know that makes you look either one of two ways: you’re simply addicted to puffery to build up strawmen.

or you’re completely and entirely full of shit.

but like i said, we’ll see...
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

53 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Same game.  So you just checked the box score?  Call it the eye ball test. 

If you want to go box score how about 3.7 yards/attempt.

So we beat a team 55-3 (42-3 half), we're 7-7 in redzone, gave up zero sacks. 

And our o-line is "pretty bad". How exactly does that work?

I think it's pretty safe to say you don't know shit.

"eye ball test" LOL.

stevie wonder deal with it GIF

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Edit

6 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

that’s all fine and dandy, and you obviously saw what you wanted to see to the exclusive of other things. we’ll see this Saturday.

but again, for accuracy’s sake...GaSo is an FBS program, not FCS, that was 10–3 last year with a bowl win.

they’re the exact same level as LaTech. and that you didn’t know that makes you look either one of two ways: you’re simply addicted to puffery to build up strawmen.

You seem to be really angry and hanging a whole lot on the fact that I didn't notice an irrelevant team had moved up from FCS to the Sun Belt Conference.

• Like 2

So we beat a team 55-3 (42-3 half), we're 7-7 in redzone, gave up zero sacks. 

And our o-line is "pretty bad". How exactly does that work?

I think it's pretty safe to say you don't know shit.

You beat a bad team and during that win your O-line looked mediocre.  

It's not that hard to figure out.  I get it.  Y'all score, you eat a corndog.  You don't really watch the game.  Burrow is decent, your rb's look to have talent.  The D is the best part of your team.  But your O-line isn't good.

Edited by Poolflood
  • Like 1

I predict LSU's OL will struggle adapting to the new system. You need the personnel to run your schemes and switching to the spread requires mobile guys at OL, and from the looks of it LSU doesn't have that. It'll likely be akin to how Mack suddenly wanted to switch to a Bama style power game after losing to them in the NC game, we didn't have the right guys to run that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

lsu-fan-dancing.gif?w=295&h=231&crop=1

Yeah brah keep goin!

On 7/27/2019 at 2:35 AM, sushihorn said:

Note: This is broken up into 2 parts because of tl;dr and standard surly ADD.

Contrary to popular belief, LSU is not a great running team.  They’re not even that good a running team.  They were quite average in 2018 with 4.0 YPC (recall UGa was 6.1 YPC).  Their yards per attempt ranked #91 in the country.  Taking out sacks, they rushed for 4.6 YPC against the standard 3 cupcake schedule and none of their RBs came close to averaging 5 yds per carry (again both of UGa’s were at 6.5 YPC going into the Sugar Bowl).  I suspect many people only saw the LSU-Georgia game and are extrapolating from that season best performance fueled by 4 UGa turnovers.

The design of the offense is very conservative, even more so than Georgia.  LSU tries to protect the ball, control field position and wear down the defense but doesn’t score much.  20 points or less was typical against better defenses unless they got multiple turnovers or big special teams plays.  60/40 is their run-pass ratio with very heavy tendency to run between the tackles.  Their top returning back Edwards-Helaire averaged 4.5 YPC in 2018.  They have some talented youngsters incoming but there’s no way to assess how much impact they might have in game 2 of their career.

Quarterback

As with UGa the play calling tends towards run, run, deep shot with WR screens and hitches thrown in occasionally.  But LSU has a much less accurate passer than Fromm.  Joe Burrow completed 57.8% of his passes for 7.7 YPA.  The main things in his favor are that he’s tough so he’s less likely to get rattled and he’s a pretty good runner.  6.3 YPC (sacks removed) is pretty darn good and higher than Sam’s.  As a runner LSU’s QB is equivalent to Baylor’s Charlie Brewer or ISU’s Brock Purdy. 

As a passer Burrow would be one of the worst quarterbacks in the Big XII.  If you want to see a statistical comparison of Burrow and Sam Ehlinger I did one in January here: 

Burrow protects the ball pretty well with only 5 INTs to go with his 16 TD last season.  Put him in a hole and under pressure and that’s when the mistakes happen so getting a lead and forcing them to play catch up is important.

The problem with this is it is all based on last years offense. If you were to study all of last years games in prep for this game, you will line up and see maybe 10% of the same plays. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

You seem to be really angry and hanging a whole lot on the fact that I didn't notice an irrelevant team had moved up from FCS to the Sun Belt Conference.

This is a significant point that you missed since Sun Belt teams beat SEC teams on the reg.  So LSU got vengeance over Troy by conference affiliation.  SEC! SEC! SEC!

19 minutes ago, cj2002 said:

The problem with this is it is all based on last years offense. If you were to study all of last years games in prep for this game, you will line up and see maybe 10% of the same plays. 

The problem with your comment is that LSU has said every year since Miles was hired that they were going to move out of the 80s with their offense.  I will believe it when I see it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cj2002 said:

The problem with this is, it isn't true. For the majority of the Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn games, last year's offense was 3-4 wide, with a lot of dink-n-dunk route trees.

4 minutes ago, Onehornyfellah said:

The tigers didn’t have joe Brady last year . Joe Brady is the reason for the offense being opened up . They got him from the saints.

It's probably such a huge surprise to us because no one talked about Brady going to LSU in the offseason...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with this is, it isn't true. For the majority of the Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn games, last year's offense was 3-4 wide, with a lot of dink-n-dunk route trees.

Walden, you’re a good dude...i like you. but there’s absolutely nothing similar between last year and this year. the blocking schemes are different, different sets, completely different check downs and progressions, reads are different, and route trees are so dissimilar that it doesn’t even look like the same game.

put another way...

9ad45b054adec91cae5f19a0f91b99a1.jpg

yes, it was GaSo...but that doesn’t come doing anything close to similar to last year.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Speaking of fine & dandy, let’s take a deeper dive into your “analysis” that LaTech and Georgia So are the “exact same level”.  I don’t want to go overboard with conference affiliations, but I will say that CUSA is almost universally regarded as a stronger league than the Sun Belt.

What really makes me think even you know that La Tech is better is that they were down to you guys by 3 in the fourth quarter last year (21-24).  Not comparable to the Ga So bloodletting.  Yeah, I know different teams, new (& improved tiger O), ya da ya da.  Still smells like a steaming pile of bullshit to me.

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Speaking of fine & dandy, let’s take a deeper dive into your “analysis” that LaTech and Georgia So are the “exact same level”.  I don’t want to go overboard with conference affiliations, but I will say that CUSA is almost universally regarded as a stronger league than the Sun Belt.

What really makes me think even you know that La Tech is better is that they were down to you guys by 3 in the fourth quarter last year (21-24).  Not comparable to the Ga So bloodletting.  Yeah, I know different teams, new (& improved tiger O), ya da ya da.  Still smells like a steaming pile of bullshit to me.

It should have been tied 24-24 in the fourth quarter, but La Tech's kicker missed a FG in the second quarter.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Walden, you’re a good dude...i like you. but there’s absolutely nothing similar between last year and this year. the blocking schemes are different, different sets, completely different check downs and progressions, reads are different, and route trees are so dissimilar that it doesn’t even look like the same game.

put another way...

yes, it was GaSo...but that doesn’t come doing anything close to similar to last year.

Meh. Give me last year's stats when you were playing against air.

Against Ga So there were checkdowns where nobody was within 20 yards of the RB. Uncle Rico could have completed 80% in that game.

That having been said, I am pretty sure LSU O against Texas D boils down entirely to CB and NB tackling. It's good, y'all don't do jack. It's bad, y'all fuck shit up. Y'all's scheme won't have diddly to do with it.

38 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

put another way...

dt_170111_cherry_picking_800x600.jpg

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Meh. Give me last year's stats when you were playing against air.

Against Ga So there were checkdowns where nobody was within 20 yards of the RB. Uncle Rico could have completed 80% in that game.

That having been said, I am pretty sure LSU O against Texas D boils down entirely to CB and NB tackling. It's good, y'all don't do jack. It's bad, y'all fuck shit up. Y'all's scheme won't have diddly to do with it.

That's an excellent point.  The best comp is probably Rice.  It was late season so it's the closest in time.  Burrow threw fewer passes but a lot more downfield.  20-28-307, 2 TD, 0 Int.  1 more attempt, 3 fewer completions, 28 more yards, but 3 fewer TDs.  LSU actually ran well against Rice.  They had over 5.1 YPC (35-180) and 4 TDs.

The opener was pretty much the same result as last year - just got there differently.  There's a good phrase to describe this phenomenon: a Distinction Without a Difference.

2 hours ago, Onehornyfellah said:

The tigers didn’t have joe Brady last year . Joe Brady is the reason for the offense being opened up . They got him from the saints.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

It's probably such a huge surprise to us because no one talked about Brady going to LSU in the offseason...

@sushihornThe national media might've not talked about the Joe Brady hire much. But the media outlets in Louisiana that cover LSU Football definitely made a big deal about it. I posted some of the articles & tweets back in the Spring. You'd think Joe Brady was hired as the actual play-calling OC, instead of as just the WR Coach/non-playcalling passing game coordinator, with how much hype the Louisiana media made about the Joe Brady hire.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

@sushihornThe national media might've not talked about the Joe Brady hire much. But the media outlets in Louisiana that cover LSU Football definitely made a big deal about it. I posted some of the articles & tweets back in the Spring. You'd think Joe Brady was hired as the actual play-calling OC, instead of as just the WR Coach/non-playcalling passing game coordinator, with how much hype the Louisiana media made about the Joe Brady hire.

Sarcasm detector, check it. 

39 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I’m starting to remember why I switched exclusively to surly 10 years ago.

It is as if every fucktard from the "frickin'" zoo represented by the cerebral triumvirate of secrant, tigerdroppings, and texags has decided simultaneously to climb up on the adults table and soil themselves. The dialogue around here hasn't been this elevated since the last time someone posted the Family Guy "everybody vomit" gif.

• Like 3

That's an excellent point.  The best comp is probably Rice.  It was late season so it's the closest in time.  Burrow threw fewer passes but a lot more downfield.  20-28-307, 2 TD, 0 Int.  1 more attempt, 3 fewer completions, 28 more yards, but 3 fewer TDs.  LSU actually ran well against Rice.  They had over 5.1 YPC (35-180) and 4 TDs.
The opener was pretty much the same result as last year - just got there differently.  There's a good phrase to describe this phenomenon: a Distinction Without a Difference.

except, you know, this was done in one half...along with actually putting 42 on the board in that same 30 mins.

but yeah...exact same.

2 hours ago, hookwhat said:

All I'm gonna say is UT y'all have a rude awakening coming Sat. night. 38-17 LSU TIGERS

So... that's round about LSU -20.5 on the ticket, sound right? Or Texas +20.5, same-o same-o, ain't it?

Yep, yep. How much you gonna wanna fade on that number, cher?

57 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

except, you know, this was done in one half...along with actually putting 42 on the board in that same 30 mins.

but yeah...exact same.

Are you concerned with your lack of running game against the school for the blind?

Because to me, it looks pretty simple game-plan wise on defense.  Tackle better, sit Boyce and run our base 3-2-6 formation.

On offense, Sam should manage the game and not turn the ball over.  Sounds simple enough to me. 

First things first. This message board format sucks ass. Tigerdroppings is way better. 

Second thing is, all you Austin's soy boys better get a safe space ready. It's gonna get ugly fast. Say what you want about us being overconfident and over rated. Just know this.  We gonna use y'all hipster suspenders as grips and your soy boys tears for lube as we rape you bitches. 

21 hours ago, bigcigar said:

• Fuck You 9

55 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

but yeah...exact same.

What exactly is your point? You beat up an extremely over matched opponent. What we can deduce from that is that you can beat up extremely over matched opponents. I'm pretty sure there are high school teams in Texas that could beat Georgia Southern. Fucking LA Monroe put up 27 in half against them last year. 1 more TD per quarter isn't exactly blowing my socks off.  

Blowing them out isn't impressive and doesn't really say much as to whether your offense is truly better. I will say LSU did play more uptempo, and seemed to do so fairly cleanly, which was fairly impressive for a first game.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It is as if every fucktard from the "frickin'" zoo represented by the cerebral triumvirate of secrant, tigerdroppings, and texags has decided simultaneously to climb up on the adults table and soil themselves. The dialogue around here hasn't been this elevated since the last time someone posted the Family Guy "everybody vomit" gif.

I feel like repping every @Kyrie Eleison post just because he’s more articulate than the mouth breathers. I obviously don’t agree with his takes, but at least he’s not a dumbass.

• Like 3

Are you concerned with your lack of running game against the school for the blind?
Because to me, it looks pretty simple game-plan wise on defense.  Tackle better, sit Boyce and run our base 3-2-6 formation.
On offense, Sam should manage the game and not turn the ball over.  Sounds simple enough to me. 

not at all...we took what they gave us and scored TDs on all 6 possessions in the first half, and 7 of 7 before the starters were pulled after one possession in the 3rd...with zero turnovers. honestly i don’t care how we get the ball in the end zone so long as it gets there.

i’d be far more concerned if we were down to one true tailback going up against a defense that held an opponent to 98 total yards for the entire game.

3 minutes ago, Billyraychubbs said:

First things first. This message board format sucks ass. Tigerdroppings is way better. 

Second thing is, all you Austin's soy boys better get a safe space ready. It's gonna get ugly fast. Say what you want about us being overconfident and over rated. Just know this.  We gonna use y'all hipster suspenders as grips and your soy boys tears for lube as we rape you bitches. 

I think you missed my point. I’m calling you and your brethren idiots. I could not care less about message board format. I avoid other boards because you’re a fucking moran.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i’d be far more concerned if we were down to one true tailback going up against a defense that held an opponent to 98 total yards for the entire game.

Were they really an opponent? Fucking Texas State held them to 210 total yards last year with 14 more plays run (3.1 yards per carry). It clearly isn't that fucking hard. 

Edited by Dahobbs