This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

That stumped me because I had no idea Adelaide was a queen of anything.

That was yesterday...I didn't know that one either.  Sorry forgot that Houston runs it earlier than everywhere else

• 4 weeks later...

Since I’m currently between jobs, I’m doing what I can to burn through my backlog of Jeopardy! I’m into the 3rd damn Champions Wildcard.

One thing lost on the Ken vs Alex debate a few weeks back - Ken is a far better dresser than Alex. Even when healthy, Alex had some meh suit-shirt-tie combos. He might have a well matched day 1 or 2 times a week. Ken nails it almost every show. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:59 PM, Captain Ron said:

One thing lost on the Ken vs Alex debate a few weeks back - Ken is a far better dresser than Alex. Even when healthy, Alex had some meh suit-shirt-tie combos. He might have a well matched day 1 or 2 times a week. Ken nails it almost every show.

Now do Mayim. 

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2024 at 7:59 PM, Captain Ron said:

Since I’m currently between jobs, I’m doing what I can to burn through my backlog of Jeopardy! I’m into the 3rd damn Champions Wildcard.

I noticed towards the end Alex had some nice wrist accoutrements a la David Yurman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

No comment on the way too attractive for Jeopardy champion right now?

esc-bite-comp-copy.jpg?w=620

I was quite concerned that the nerd on the other end was going to win yesterday.  I audibly cheered when she out wagered him.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Jeopardy Masters started tonight on ABC.  It was a lot of fun last year but I could see it getting old when James cruises to the win again.

Huh, just watched and the two winners of the most recent tournaments won.  James, Amodio, and Mattea better hurry up and knock the rust off.

Jeopardy! Masters - just wrapped up the second episode. Victoria is killing it, 2 games, 2 wins.

Thoughts on everyone so far:

Victoria - she just won the invitational, she is in form and it shows.

Holtzhauer - Seems a touch rusty early, beat in game 1 and never really in it. Game 2 saw his normal domination.

Yogesh - can't stand this guy, but he is good. He just can't ring in well, which cost him in his game 2.

Matt Amodia - maybe finding a groove? Been so so thus far.

Mattea - I feel like they don't take this too seriously, But is always a threat.

Amy - I'm not sure her hearts in this. She's good, but has always had trouble with tough fields.

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Amy - I'm not sure her hearts in this. She's good, but has always had trouble with tough fields.

Definitely the weakest.  She was just dominated by Victoria in the finals of the invitational.  I wish they had given the last spot to someone else.

Wow, James lost again, to Victoria this time.  He should make the finals but I'm not sure he's still the favorite.  In both of his losses he had DD misses that sunk him.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Wow, James lost again, to Victoria this time.  He should make the finals but I'm not sure he's still the favorite.  In both of his losses he had DD misses that sunk him.

Yeah.  I got his DD last night, so I'm clearly smarter than James.

Victoria is a bad ass.

Victoria is calm out there. She’s nails on the buzzer which is what’s giving her the advantage. And she is clearly ultra prepared. She’s who I would pick to win right now.

Yogesh is a good counter example. He plays with a lot of emotion and a chip on his shoulder. You can see it when he can’t get the buzzer down and he flails around with it. He's smart and prepared, but he can’t get the buzzer in and that’s why he’s not quite there. 
quick reminder - the buzzer was why he bad mouthed jeopardy in his first run and a lot of people didn’t want him ever to see the stage again, including Holtzhauer. 

On yesterday's show that challenger was going to run away with it until she decided that she "had" to make it a true daily double.  I can understand the need when you are behind in double jeopardy, but when holding a $6-7k lead in the jeopardy round it doesn't make sense.

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Victoria is calm out there. She’s nails on the buzzer which is what’s giving her the advantage. And she is clearly ultra prepared. She’s who I would pick to win right now.

Yogesh is a good counter example. He plays with a lot of emotion and a chip on his shoulder. You can see it when he can’t get the buzzer down and he flails around with it. He's smart and prepared, but he can’t get the buzzer in and that’s why he’s not quite there. 
quick reminder - the buzzer was why he bad mouthed jeopardy in his first run and a lot of people didn’t want him ever to see the stage again, including Holtzhauer. 

Yeah, I get way annoyed watching him flail away at that buzzer.  It distracts me more than it should.  But yet again tonight he won, even with the only faulty buzzer.  

If I get 3 or 4 right answers a round at this level, I'm doing pretty good.  It seems to me that the answers are harder now than they were maybe 20 years ago but then I understand this is the champion level, so questions would reflect that. 

I remember watching this with my grandmother back in the 60s when Art Fleming was the host.  And then Hugh Downs followed in the next time slot with Concentration.  Or I might have those reversed.   Still, fond memories.  She never watched soap operas, only game shows.  My other grandmother was the opposite, all soap, no games.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it was a better game than most because they each got a DD, instead of one contestant lucking into 2 or all 3.  Thought it was funny Victoria knew that Donna Summer lyric so handily.  Doesn't seem like her genre, but she might have been a bad girl growing up.

So I just watched the Friday match and I gotta say - the way Yogesh won really hits on something that's been bugging me during this tournament - there have been some head scratching wagers in FJ! in this tournament. Victoria's answer SHOULD have won, but she made a tiny wager that really made no sense. Both Amy (twice) and Mattea have both made wagers that didn't set them up for doing more than finishing last. For being Jeopardy Masters, they are making some rookie mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 2

A quick comeback to this for a moment - I can't say that all of these wagers make no sense. They do, in the context of the game. Victoria's wager Friday was done in a way to keep the lead in case of a triple stumper OR they did cute wagers (IE enough to just take the lead over her - which is what James's wager was).

But given THAT grouping of 3 players, you can't assume that the other two players are going to miss or that one of them won't put it all on the line. These players are too aggressive and given their positions (top of the leader board) 1 point isn't going to make the different that 3 points does. 

At this level, there shouldn't be cute wagers - your wager should aim to cover a double up of all players that sit behind you if you get it right.

Just caught the Monday Show. About to go to bed, so really quick thought.

As with most games - really hard trivia - glad to see some tough FJ!s make the game interesting.

With the win Mattea stays alive.

Just a reminder that 2 are eliminated and 4 advance to the Semis.

Victoria (13) and Yogesh (10) are locks into the Semi's

Matt Amodio (1) is out.

Before we go forward: The matchup's Wed are:

Yogesh, James, Matt and Victoria, Amy, Mattea

Scores are:

James 6
Amy 5
Mattea 5

James is locked in by virtue of the tiebreaker of right answers, he is 30+ correct answers over Amy and Mattea, so there is virtually no way for him to get caught by some combo of Amy and Mattea finishing 1-2.

Basically whoever finishes better between Mattea and Amy is the final semi-finalist.

44 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

glad to see some tough FJ!s make the game interesting

I got the algorithm/logarithm one almost instantly and was shocked that it was a triple-stumper.  Nice little ego boost at the end of 2 games of not knowing much.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, WBT said:

I got the algorithm/logarithm one almost instantly and was shocked that it was a triple-stumper.  Nice little ego boost at the end of 2 games of not knowing much.

I’m a programmer - lost on that one. I wonder if Matt “missed the Turing Award question” Amodio would have gotten it?

Edited by Captain Ron

The trivia was tough tonight.

James Holtzhauer wins game 1 with Amodio in 2nd. That locked up 3rd place for Holtzhauer. Matt is still out.

In game 2 Mattea never recovered from an all in Daily Double and going into FJ! it was all decieded: Victoria 1st, Amy 2nd, Mattea 3rd.

So our Semi-finalists: Victoria (16), Yogesh (10), James (9), Amy (6)

The Semis are Fiday-Monday.

Did a search but did not see anything posted.  Seems relevant to this thread.

‘Jeopardy!’ Gets New Pop Culture Trivia Spinoff at Amazon Prime Video

This is the first “Jeopardy!” spin-off series to be created for a major streaming service.

“What is Prime Video‘s upcoming game show ‘Pop Culture Jeopardy!‘?”

That is correct! And notice we said “major streaming service,” since “Sports Jeopardy!” ran on Crackle (back when that ad-supported on-demand platform was owned by Sony) from 2014 to 2016.

But hey, you get the points — and so does Prime Video, which was set to announce “Pop Culture Jeopardy!” on Tuesday during Amazon’s inaugural upfront presentation in New York. The series, which comes from Sony Pictures Television (and its game show division), reps the latest extension of the “Jeopardy!” franchise.

Set up like the “Jeopardy!” gameplay, the show’s “answer-and-question” format will focus on music, film, TV, stage, sports and more. Episodes will premiere on Prime Video across the globe.

“Pop Culture Jeopardy is its own cultural moment, marking the first time the iconic franchise will premiere exclusively on a streaming service,” said Lauren Anderson, head of AVOD originals unscripted and targeted programming, Amazon MGM Studios. “With a team-based approach and pop-culture focus, our global Prime Video customers will exclusively experience this innovative spin on Jeopardy! while testing their knowledge on topics that both define and transcend generations.”

There’s no host yet for “Pop Culture Jeopardy!,” but the show will also be executive produced by “Jeopardy!” EP Michael Davies. Info on the contestant application process will also be available soon.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled to collaborate with our partners at Amazon to make Prime Video the
home for our new Jeopardy! spinoff series,” said Suzanne Prete, president of game shows at Sony Pictures Television. “With Michael Davies at the helm, Pop Culture Jeopardy! is going to be a nail biter for game show enthusiasts who can expect to see teams competing at the highest level of Jeopardy! combined with a fresh twist of pop culture Olympics for the mind…it’s going to be a must-watch for long-time viewers and new fans alike.”

Besides “Sports Jeopardy!,” past “Jeopardy!” offshoots include “Rock & Roll Jeopardy!,” which ran on VH1 from 1998 to 2001; and “Jep!,” a children’s version that appeared on Game Show Network from 1998 to 2000. The original daytime “Jeopardy!” launched in 1964, and the modern syndicated version premiered in 1984. In recent years, the series has also spawn several primetime iterations: “Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time,” “Jeopardy! National College Championship,” “Celebrity Jeopardy!” and “Jeopardy! Masters.”

I don't think anyone was surprised to see how the Semis ultimately turned out. Though I think maybe it was a little shocking that the whole thing was over after the 3rd game.

I do think the 2nd game James vs Yogesh game was pretty fun, you could tell that they both wanted to win that one for bragging rights. I was glad James won (still can't stand Yogesh).

So tonight is the finals - James, Yogesh and Victoria.

4 hours ago, WBT said:

It was interesting that James won both games* Monday to take the most points in the semis.  Maybe he's rounding into form just in time.

*aided by Victoria's passive FJ wager

My theory was they both knew their positions were enough to advance to the Finals locking out Amy. The goal was advance and winning individual games isn’t that important.

But I do sense a bit of rivalry between James and Yogesh, maybe dislike, hence the desire to win game 2 last night. I mean lest we forget 

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2023/02/jeopardy-champion-james-holzhauer-says-winner-yogesh-raut-should-be-banned-forever-for-dissing-show.html?outputType=amp

my rooting interest:

1. Victoria

2. James

3. Getting hit by a car

5. Yogesh

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good final

Spoiler

It's disappointing they did the 2 game total score final.  I prefer the first to win 3 format.

Great DJ round in Game 2 by Victoria.  She was the strongest player over the whole tournament.

James could have won had he doubled up in FJ of Game 1.  This tournament has been really tough so I can understand being strategic there but it seemed uncharacteristic to not go all in.

13 hours ago, WBT said:

Good final

Hide contents

It's disappointing they did the 2 game total score final.  I prefer the first to win 3 format.

Great DJ round in Game 2 by Victoria.  She was the strongest player over the whole tournament.

James could have won had he doubled up in FJ of Game 1.  This tournament has been really tough so I can understand being strategic there but it seemed uncharacteristic to not go all in.

Yeah, that was a really good final.

I get your point about the first to win 3 games format for the final, but they probably wanted set number of episodes for the tournament. This format had 9 episodes: 6 QF, 2 SF, 1 Final. Making the final first to 3 would have increased the number of episodes by 1-3 with one episode potentially being only 1 game.

For no spoilers:

Spoiler

Victoria was a deserving champion. She was the best player in the QFs and Final. I was a little surprised to see her only finish 3rd in the Semis. She was just "on" when it came to the buzzer, looking at her stats just for the final, she rang in first in 46 of 114 clues across both games. She also lead that in the overall tournament as well. (The buzzer was Yogesh's biggest complaint about how Jeopardy isn't "pure trivia")

Glad she pulled it out.

I agree that everyone was conservative in the game 1 FJ! I think both James and Victoria should have risked more.

14 hours ago, WBT said:

Good final

Hide contents

Spoiler

He would have still lost because Victoria would have bet money and she got the answer right. Her getting both daily doubles basically won the tournament for her

I'd never seen this before, but in one of the semis, Ken ruled against James on his pronunciation of an answer saying there was an N and  you could hear James say immediately "I said N." It was never addressed tho.

Never seen someone challenge like that.

4 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I'd never seen this before, but in one of the semis, Ken ruled against James on his pronunciation of an answer saying there was an N and  you could hear James say immediately "I said N." It was never addressed tho.

Never seen someone challenge like that.

I believe James said "I said m," agreeing that he was wrong 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He would have still lost because Victoria would have bet money and she got the answer right. Her getting both daily doubles basically won the tournament for her

Spoiler

Yeah, I  realized after I posted that I wasn't clear.  I meant that James still would have had a chance going into the 2nd FJ.  As it was, Victoria already had it locked by then.

27 minutes ago, WBT said:

I believe James said "I said m," agreeing that he was wrong 

It was specific response to the “Oh?” that was exclaimed by Yogesh. He seemed surprised that the answer he expected to be right was wrong. But once time ran out James noted why his answer was wrong.