Moonshine and Miniature Defensive Linemen: A Gif Analysis of a Single WVU Game

Katfid54

3 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

As long as we don’t run the Herman up with a lead offense of run, run, pass the whole fourth, when everyone knows what’s coming.  We “should” win by double digits. 

Honestly, as long as we don't shit our pants when we have negative plays on offense (and with the way they play D, we will have a few), we ought to win going away.  WVU might be the second worst team we've played this year--ahead of only Rice.  They're pretty close to La. Tech in terms of talent and less well-coached.

33 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You left out the important part. The line (as I type) is 10.5 or 11. Do we cover or no?

Literally my last sentence:

15 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

But if Texas is methodical and assignment sound, WVU cannot stack up with the horses Texas has, and Texas should win (and cover?) easily.

46 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

tl;dr WVU d breakdown.

You left out the important part. The line (as I type) is 10.5 or 11. Do we cover or no?

Good good good shit, btw. Only 1 rep to give, sorry.

I really think people are overestimating WVU (or underestimating Herman’s ability to cover based on past years). WVU should have lost to Kansas. They’re bad and our defense should create a ton of negative plays and some turnovers. 

I don’t really find Herman’s history de covering the spread very meaningful for this year. This is the first time Herman has ever had an OL that can impose it’s will in the run game since he’s been a HC and the result of that has been Herman covering against both oft he  bad  teams we’ve played this year.

I expect us to be up by 20+ early in the 4th quarter and I think our backups will be able to hold that lead well enough to cover.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I really think people are overestimating WVU (or underestimating Herman’s ability to cover based on past years). WVU should have lost to Kansas. They’re bad and our defense should create a ton of negative plays and some turnovers. 

I don’t really find Herman’s history de covering the spread very meaningful for this year. This is the first time Herman has ever had an OL that can impose it’s will in the run game since he’s been a HC and the result of that has been Herman covering against both oft he  bad  teams we’ve played this year.

I expect us to be up by 20+ early in the 4th quarter and I think our backups will be able to hold that lead well enough to cover.

Hell, we covered against oSu and played like absolute shit for large stretches of that game (except in red zone defense, which was stout all night).

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

conference road games have not been good to us on covering in a long time.  the 2017 baylor and 2017 wvu games are the only conference road games i can think of that we have even won by double digits off the top of my head.

but at the same time, we actually did what we were supposed to do this year with la tech and rice for a change and kicked their asses.  as opposed to beating tulsa at home by the same score as we beat georgia in the sugar bowl.  so here's hoping that corner has been turned as you said.  this game still just worries me though.  lot of youth on a defense that hasn't been great and a long flight.

Edited by sidis

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

conference road games have not been good to us on covering in a long time.  the 2017 baylor and 2017 wvu games are the only conference road games i can think of that we have even won by double digits off the top of my head.

We smoked Iowa State in 2017, didn't we?  (At least as far as the 2017 team was able to "smoke" anyone.)  Didn't their QB freaking quit football after that game, because Orlando's D fucked him up so bad?

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We smoked Iowa State in 2017, didn't we?  (At least as far as the 2017 team was able to "smoke" anyone.)  Didn't their QB freaking quit football after that game, because Orlando's D fucked him up so bad?

Smoked? 17-7. I mean, I guess it was a double digit win. But no surprise the defense played well. Orlando thrives against conventional offenses like ISU and UGA. Too bad we only play one a year.  

6 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

They're pretty close to La. Tech in terms of talent and less well-coached.

It's subjective, of course, but if you offered me a straight up trade between the rosters, I'd take La Tech over WVU. I like Brown as a coach, but given his style, I'm expecting this to be Texas' biggest blowout win of the season. I probably have a bigger spread on this game than anybody else who's making a serious prediction (I'm thinking I'd give WVU 30+ points on this game, honestly) simply because not only does WVU gamble, but they gamble in ways that quite specifically play into Texas' strengths.

Of course, Herman does have a history of occasionally shitting the bed against teams this bad, so wait and see, blah, blah, blah.

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's subjective, of course, but if you offered me a straight up trade between the rosters, I'd take La Tech over WVU. I like Brown as a coach, but given his style, I'm expecting this to be Texas' biggest blowout win of the season. I probably have a bigger spread on this game than anybody else who's making a serious prediction (I'm thinking I'd give WVU 30+ points on this game, honestly) simply because not only does WVU gamble, but they gamble in ways that quite specifically play into Texas' strengths.

I don't disagree with you, if it were the first game of the year and we were at full strength.  Given some of our injuries right now, I think I'd take Texas up to -17 or so.

Thanks for posting.  I suffered through the WVU-Kansas game last night, and it's pretty much the same.

The sweep was prevalent.  It was in the script several times and wouldn't surprise me if it were the first play we see tomorrow.

They are a Cover 3 team.  The LBs will hit their landmarks, but it usually comes at the expense of redirecting seams and pattern matching anything crossing.  Two-high looks were always paired with man coverage.  Bltizes were usually exotics on 3rd down 

Upfront they are usually Under but how they set their strength is a mystery to me.  The majority of the time it was set based on the run strength instead of field or passing strength, but not always.  They apex the Will often and the Mike will cheat to cover multiple interior gaps.  Sometimes they'll slant to cover one of the vacated gaps, but sometimes not.  This leads to problems against the run, but theoretically defends well against quick screens and sweeps despite corners bailing.

Edited by JBJ

46 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They apex the Will often and the Mike will cheat to cover multiple interior gaps.  Sometimes they'll slant to cover one of the vacated gaps, but sometimes not.  This leads to problems against the run, but theoretically defends well against quick screens and sweeps despite corners bailing.

There several examples above, but here's what I mean without football jargon.

71Yl2w.gif

The players who the (<40) is pointing right at.  He's typically in the A gap.  The middle linebacker has cheated to right behind the nose tackle to cover both the weak A gap and strong B gap.  The strong safety is Apex to the other side to presuably cover the vacated B gap.

Belpw they Apex the Will to the other side, but result is the same.  Cheated Mike easily gets washed by a good double-team, and Will way behind the play:

VAo1Ro.gif

They may not empty the box like this against us, but they did it against Kansas as well as NCSt and often.  I expect Braun-cakes on the menu.

Edited by JBJ

On 10/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, sidis said:

but at the same time, we actually did what we were supposed to do this year with la tech and rice for a change and kicked their asses.  as opposed to beating tulsa at home by the same score as we beat georgia in the sugar bowl.  so here's hoping that corner has been turned as you said.  this game still just worries me though.  lot of youth on a defense that hasn't been great and a long flight.

Like I said...

I will never understand why people on this site start assuming we will look good on the road just because we get a couple of Close wins against shitty teams. But this site never learns.