Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

1 minute ago, Mole said:

To the other issue of those claiming racism on this thread, there's a difference between saying a trait is inherent in someone due to skin color (racism) and saying that an unhealthy practice has become widespread in a particular community.

It's framed too often as a black-white discussion, when it's really a poverty discussion.

The black person in Allen values family, education, and self-motivation.  The white person in Fair Park doesn't.

There might be racial correlations between the two, but that's only because there's racial correlations to poverty.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He is being racist. He thinks there is something wrong with black people. That's racist.

There's a difference between racial and racist .  There are issues that per statistics seem run along racial lines.  

There is a problem in the black community having a large % of unwed mothers. Stating that doesn't make you racist.  According to some here any mention of an issue that seems to run along racial lines makes you racist.  B T is the king of calling anyone who disagree with his little coke bottle lens view of the world a racist.  Lowest hanging fruit on the tree in any argument regarding racial issues.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If you see Obama’s talk about black fatherhood as something remarkable or unique all you’re revealing is that you have no insight into black communities, because “they” have talked about that shit fucking forever. The idea that black Americans are ignorant to the importance of family is racist ignorance at its purest.

We've never heard a black president say it though. Obama's greatest legacy very well may be his aspirational role. Obama doing what he did was remarkable and hugely important.

And there you go with the reflexive racism claims and attacks. Any disagreement can be attributed to racism; good for you and your pathology. Having spent a good deal of time worshiping in black churches and teaching at colleges that are majority black, I'm not blind to what's going on. My white skin might let me miss some of the day-to-day racism, but I'm not blind.

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

This is exactly the type of thing I referred to when I said that statements of fact become racially insensitive oppression against minorities.

How is it even remotely racist to state a true statement that a majority of black children grow up fatherless?

That is not a true statement, it's a racist dogwhistle. It was debunked by the fucking CDC years ago. Yes, fatherlessness IS a LARGER problem in the black community, but the assertion that most of them grow up without a father is demonstrably incorrect. 

You can't even approach a discussion on this subject if you're only willing to get your statistics from Fox News.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

It's framed too often as a black-white discussion, when it's really a poverty discussion.

The black person in Allen values family, education, and self-motivation.  The white person in Fair Park doesn't.

There might be racial correlations between the two, but that's only because there's racial correlations to poverty.

Pretty much this.

Just now, David Dennison said:

They compared blacks that come from two parent households vs. whites from single parent households. It blows up your argument that it's better to have two parents. 

Wait a minute. Are you seriously arguing the efficacy of growing up in a two parent household? 

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What you say they did is not at all exactly what I said they should have done. The story should have ended with the cops leaving and the three guys staying to order their coffee as planned. 

I agree. At the time the discussion was veering off into the conclusion that the cops didn't really do anything that bad, and it was mostly the Starbucks' manager's fault for calling them. So my point was that the cops actually prevented a reasonable solution presented by gray vest guy - all of them leave, and there's no problem. But once the cops had decided to arrest the black guys, they wouldn't listen to any alternative solutions. They escalated the situation needlessly, because they felt their authority was being questioned, and as we know that's the one thing cops can't abide.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

There's a difference between racial and racist .  There are issues that per statistics seem run along racial lines.  

There is a problem in the black community having a large % of unwed mothers. Stating that doesn't make you racist.  According to some here any mention of an issue that seems to run along racial lines makes you racist.  B T is the king of calling anyone who disagree with his little coke bottle lens view of the world a racist.  Lowest hanging fruit on the tree in any argument regarding racial issues.

The bigger problem is the fact that in America, being black and coming from a two parent household still means you lag behind white people from single parent households. 

I wonder why that is.

9 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Holy shit...  So you caused all the problems with the help of your friends?  I guess we all know who to blame now.

No kidding, these poor bastards carry around the shame of their ancestors as if they participated in the acts. A strange mentality indeed. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

That is not a true statement, it's a racist dogwhistle. It was debunked by the fucking CDC years ago. Yes, fatherlessness IS a LARGER problem in the black community, but the assertion that most of them grow up without a father is demonstrably incorrect. 

You can't even approach a discussion on this subject if you're only willing to get your statistics from Fox News.

I'm not sure if you are parsing words or if you are simply dense. OK, allow me to rephrase:

Grow up with a father as a member of their household or as a person that financially supports them while under the age of 18. I do not mean that their father is deceased. 

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Wait a minute. Are you seriously arguing the efficacy of growing up in a two parent household? 

No, I'm not denying that two parent households are better. I'm arguing that two parent black households still lag behind single parent white households.

Why is that?

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They compared blacks that come from two parent households vs. whites from single parent households. It blows up your argument that it's better to have two parents. 

For all the races it's a 75% drop off if you go from 2 parents to single parent households. 

It's a complex issue. Denying the reality of part of the issue doesn't help things.

And yes, the issue you're pointing to is a real problem and seriously depressing.

Edited by Mole

Just now, Mole said:

Denying the reality of part of the issue doesn't help things.

Literally no one is denying that stable families are important. Please quote one person saying stable families are unimportant.

Can any of you back up this idea that black Americans do not value family with any kind of statement from any black American?

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, I'm not denying that two parent households are better. I'm arguing that two parent black households still lag behind single parent white households.

Why is that?

And why do whites lag behind the Asian population? It can’t be their emphasis on structure and education can it? After all, they’ve never been discriminated against, right?

Why is that?

Why is the average white making more than 4 times the median white? Probably because there are some really insanely rich white people which throws off the average and a lot of poor whites.

Wealth is passed on and if you don't know your father and you were raised by a single mom, you probably aren't getting much of an inheritance.  In fact, you probably are having to take car of your mom and her medical bills along with your own family.  

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The bigger problem is the fact that in America, being black and coming from a two parent household still means you lag behind white people from single parent households. 

I wonder why that is.

Is this issue limited to America?  Haiti, the rest of the Caribbean, and Africa aren't exactly thriving.  Blacks have much less wealth and income than their white counterparts in Europe as well, although most of those countries make it illegal to collect data by race so a precise number is not possible.

Edited by Johnny Sack

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Is this issue limited to America.  Haiti, the rest of the Caribbean, and Africa aren't exactly thriving.  Blacks have much less wealth and income than their white counterparts in Europe as well, although most of those countries make it illegal to collect data by race so a precise number is not possible.

Why do you think this is?

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you saying that black people make more poor decisions than white people?

As far as fatherhood and raising their children? Yes. 

The same goes for white people, the Asian population is passing both of us by. I say we try to learn from them and instill the same values. 

Edited by Chrispy
  • Like 1

Just now, Chrispy said:

As far as fatherhood and raising there children? Yes. 

The same goes for white people, the Asian population is passing both of us by. I say we try to learn from them and instill the same values. 

What accounts for the differences between the races in this regard?

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why is that?

I know….Racism and white privilege!

Well, if you ignore things like whether or not those 2 black parents hold viable degrees and are active in the workforce, the fact that whites have a significantly higher number of 2 parent households to bring their average up, the stability of the marriage and environment that the child is growing up in, the quality of education being received, etc.

Those old chestnuts. Yes, accumulated wealth does play a factor too and blacks certainly have a disadvantage in that area.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Why do you think this is?

Contrary to how most people think, you don't typically go from rags to riches.  You have to go from rags to middle class and then a generation later you can realistically get to riches.  My grandfather joined the military to get out of poverty.  That gave the stability to my father who them provided an even higher level of stability to me.  It takes generations of sacrifice and hard work in order to lift up your family.  That is a source of pride I find missing among many people I grew up with which I wish I could share. 

Someone has to get the ball rolling and take responsibility for themselves and their family.  I feel very passionate about this and I really wish my own community would feel the same way.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

What accounts for the difference between two parent black households and single parent white households?

Probably the white households had a higher starting point.  I've seen plenty of guys who were born into money piss away their family fortunes inside of a couple years.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Emphasis on the nuclear family and the importance of education. It’s pretty simple. 

You're not answering the question: What accounts for the differences between the races in this regard?

By what standard do you measure "emphasis" on these things?

Nigerian immigrants are the most successful immigrants in America by educational standards. Why?

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Let me take a wild guess.... whitey? 

Why is it that racists always turn into whining bitches who hide behind sarcasm when asked simple questions? It's pathetic.

1 minute ago, Amobie said:

It takes generations of sacrifice and hard work in order to lift up your family. 

For black Americans whose ancestors were slaves, this is true. For whites like me... eh... not so much.

- I'm not going to get arrested for being white on the way to work or in a coffee shop.

- I'm not going to have my resume put into the "no thanks" pile because of my name.

- I'm not going to be put in jail for having a joint.

- My kids are not going to be punished more harshly for the same offense as kids of other races.

- My kids are going to be treated with more respect by adults in all areas.

I will not have to work nearly as hard as you to achieve the same success, and my kids will start ahead and have an easier time than your kids staying ahead and getting further ahead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Contrary to how most people think, you don't typically go from rags to riches.  You have to go from rags to middle class and then a generation later you can realistically get to riches.  My grandfather joined the military to get out of poverty.  That gave the stability to my father who them provided an even higher level of stability to me.  It takes generations of sacrifice and hard work in order to lift up your family.  That is a source of pride I find missing among many people I grew up with which I wish I could share. 

Someone has to get the ball rolling and take responsibility for themselves and their family.  I feel very passionate about this and I really wish my own community would feel the same way.

It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when you are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.

Edited by David Dennison

25 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I wonder why that is.

It's a problem for sure, but not as bad as having mutiple children out of wedlock and on welfare.  

Financially it sucks, and is wrong, but being one of 3-4 or 5 kids with a single parent on welfare is far worse, for the children especially.

It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.

Not only that, but after the slaves were freed they were given NOTHING, but at the exact same time white people were given tracts of free land in the West.

Gee, I fucking wonder.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

You're not answering the question: What accounts for the differences between the races in this regard?

By what standard do you measure "emphasis" on these things?

Nigerian immigrants are the most successful immigrants in America by educational standards. Why?

Why is it that racists always turn into whining bitches who hide behind sarcasm when asked simple questions? It's pathetic.

For black Americans whose ancestors were slaves, this is true. For whites like me... eh... not so much.

- I'm not going to get arrested for being white on the way to work or in a coffee shop.

- I'm not going to have my resume put into the "no thanks" pile because of my name.

- I'm not going to be put in jail for having a joint.

- My kids are not going to be punished more harshly for the same offense as kids of other races.

- My kids are going to be treated with more respect by adults in all areas.

I will not have to work nearly as hard as you to achieve the same success, and my kids will start ahead and have an easier time than your kids staying ahead and getting further ahead.

Nigerians have a very low divorce rate and put an emphasis on education. You just made my point for me very eloquently, thanks. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.

While certainly not disagreeing with you that it was nothing short of a travesty, what are your thoughts on how black home ownership has improved anything? “Gentrification” and saying a neighborhood has “turned” wouldn’t be real things with adverse impacts on the real estate market if the measurable progress was substantial.

Edited by Spankytoes

Just now, Chrispy said:

Nigerians have a very low divorce rate and put an emphasis on education. You just made my point for me very eloquently, thanks. 

It's like watching a simpleton smugly say "checkmate" after shoving your king up his nose.

And why do they have such a low divorce rate and why do they "put an emphasis" on education? Why? What makes them different in that way from slave-descended black Americans?

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's a problem for sure, but not as bad as having mutiple children out of wedlock and on welfare.  

Financially it sucks, and is wrong, but being one of 3-4 or 5 kids with a single parent on welfare is far worse, for the children especially.

The catch isn't agreeing it's a problem/wrong. We can all agree on that. The catch is shrugging your shoulders and saying "lmao fix it yourself blacks".

Nigerians that make it to the US are the elite of the elite from that country.  They did well back home and do better here due to opportunity.  I am friends with a family from Nigeria.  He is Oxford educated and a senior executive at a large company.

But rest assured the vast, vast, vast majority of the population in Nigeria is far more fucked up than American blacks.  How many kids born out of wedlock over there is impossible to determine as 70% of the kids aren't even registered as being born.  They have no birth certificate and in legal terms, they do not exist.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Nigerians that make it to the US are the elite of the elite from that country.  They did well back home and do better here due to opportunity.  I am friends with a family from Nigeria.  He is Oxford educated and a senior executive at a large company.

But rest assured the vast, vast, vast majority of the population in Nigeria is far more fucked up than American blacks.  How many kids born out of wedlock over there is impossible to determine as 70% of the kids aren't even registered as being born.  They have no birth certificate and in legal terms, they do not exist.

Idk I'm not that impressed with Udoka Azubuike

Y’all are dumb arguing back and forth with BT and DD 

The answer is whites have ruined the chances for the black community forever. There’s no fixing it. Any and all problems lie at the feet of your ancestors (if you’re white) and nothing can or will fix it going forward.  All whites came to America rich, and is the only reason their current generations have made it  Exact opposite applies for anyone blessed with some pigment  

This doesn’t stop for American blacks, but anyone who is darker than your run of the mill Hispanic. Except Asians, they don’t count - their success is an outlier.  Same goes for Snacks, Mizzou, or other educated AA that frequent this site Also outliers, probably had white ancestors