Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

Finding the why is important (to the extent that you can identify reasons), but writing it off as a myth based on unrelated data is unhealthy. Even if the data is used by racists, it's either true or it isn't. Pretending otherwise doesn't help, even if you have noble anti-racist objectives.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And until you identify why that is, you are left arguing that it's because black men are deficient in some way. That is a racist argument.

No; I'm not.  I'm arguing that you can't throw useless stats out to argue a point when there are just as easily available (perhaps just as useless) stats for the other argument.  

I'll add see the multiple "show me the stats" responses above...

Edited by SDG

13 minutes ago, SDG said:

To take it a step further, our own 2016 census www.census.gov (see table C3 line 34) indicates that 59.48% of African American children do not live with both parents married or not.  (only 25.16% of not AA children live in the same circumstance)

In the age of the internet you can find stats to back up any argument.  

So 40% of black kids live with two parents? 

Finding the why is important (to the extent that you can identify reasons), but writing it off as a myth based on unrelated data is unhealthy. Even if the data is used by racists, it's either true or it isn't. Pretending otherwise doesn't help, even if you have noble anti-racist objectives.

Yeah I sort of cringed at that thinkprogress article. The other articles were illuminating but the thinkprogress article is begging the question. It's been floating around the interwebs for a few years now and always elicits comments on Facebook anytime it's posted, but like someone said you're comparing a large population of one group to a relatively small population of the other. It's not really a worthwhile endeavor. The point isn't to dismiss the problems and make believe that they don't exist. The point is to speak truth to the causes of said problems and figure out definitive ways to solve them.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrispy said:

Agreed, personal accountability seems to be a thing of the past lately. 

It would be nice if more white folks accepted personal responsibility regarding race based discrimination. Sadly, a large portion of the white population in this country thinks there's something wrong with black people. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mole said:

I guess if you're a glass is 40% full type.

It's not a positive, but it's more relevant than the wedlock at birth number.  So 40% of black kids live with both parents.   Looks like around 4% more live with only the father.  Among the fathers who don't live with their kids, 17% see their kids every single day, per Pancho's numbers.  That picture is different than 70% of black kids abandoned by their fathers at birth. 

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not a positive, but it's more relevant than the wedlock at birth number.  So 40% of black kids live with both parents.   Looks like around 4% more live with only the father.  Among the fathers who don't live with their kids, 17% see their kids every single day, per Pancho's numbers.  That picture is different than 70% of black kids abandoned by their fathers at birth. 

Straight question.  Is there a secular charity that has promotion of two parent households as a priority?  If not there should be and I would donate.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Straight question.  Is there a secular charity that has promotion of two parent households as a priority?  If not there should be and I would donate.

Gay answer:   Sure, there's probably a few charities dedicated to promoting laws enabling gay married couples to adopt. 

40 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

So 40% of black kids live with two parents? 

There are a lot of enabling factors as welfare/ and food stamps, even daycare...

Did you know that to get help on daycare from DHS the caseworker will tell (normally the mother) to file child support on the other parent (normally the father)... weird stuff... 

5 hours ago, Bat Guano said:

That's exactly what they did, from my watching of the longer video. Hard to hear what people are saying on it, but I'm pretty sure when gray vest guy shows up while cops are getting ready to arrest the black guys, gray vest guy says, OK, let them go and we'll just go somewhere else. Cop says, no, they already had their chance to do that and they didn't do it. Or something like that. Then the crowd of cops slaps the cuffs on them. Respect my authoritah!

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What you say they did is not at all exactly what I said they should have done. The story should have ended with the cops leaving and the three guys staying to order their coffee as planned. 

Kinda funny how a thread about selective enforcement of Starbucks policy devolves into a thread about crime rates and out off wedlock. But then again who am I kidding. These threads always attract those who can't type fast enough inorder to justify racism because absentee fathers.

18 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It would be nice if more white folks accepted personal responsibility regarding race based discrimination. Sadly, a large portion of the white population in this country thinks there's something wrong with black people. 

Accepted responsibility for what exactly? Taking the blame for something you didn’t participate in is moronic, but please continue the flaggelation if it eases your pain. 

Who on this thread speculated that there is something inherently wrong with black people? We said black fathers need to raise their damn kids, that’s it. Your ilk tends to think that’s asking too much, which is nothing more than the soft bigotry of low expectations. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Accepted responsibility for what exactly? Taking the blame for something you didn’t participate in is moronic, but please continue the flaggelation if it eases your pain. 

Who on this thread speculated that there is something inherently wrong with black people? We said black fathers need to raise their damn kids, that’s it. Your ilk tends to think that’s asking too much, which is nothing more than the soft bigotry of low expectations. 

Why aren't black fathers there?

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You were arguing with strangers on a message board while your wife took care of the kids alone?

Wife took our kids over to her friend’s house who, oddly enough, have kids also. They played and had a good time, anything else you want to know? Creepy.

15 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Who on this thread speculated that there is something inherently wrong with black people?

The racist who said these two racist things.

Sitting back and pretending it’s whitey holding them down is the least effective solution, but it makes everyone feel better. 

First, you would have to get them to acknowledge the problem, good luck with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Does free will also explain the race based discrimination that influences the decisions they make?

They leave their children because they’re discriminated against? I’m really trying to follow here, but this is downright strange.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Now, given I haven't addressed the data indicating that Black men actually are not more likely to be "absent" in the sense of uninvolved, it's pretty fucking amazingly miraculous that the Black family is holding up as well as it is.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but what data indicates this?

Biggest problem wasn’t the “public housing” per se. Whites were moving off the land they sharecropped for jobs in the cities too.  Public housing for poor whites meant cheap tract homes they purchased with govt backed mortgages. Blacks got housing projects. A whole lot of other shit as well but being able to own something that appreciates as opposed to throwing money away on rent was a huge leg up

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/526655831/a-forgotten-history-of-how-the-u-s-government-segregated-america

Edited by Sawbonz
Responding to bolverk if that’s not clear
  • Like 1

Just now, Chrispy said:

They leave their children because they’re discriminated against? I’m really trying to follow here, but this is downright strange.

I'm going off memory, by my understanding is that conviction and sentencing rates seem to show a racial bias.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The racist who said these two racist things.

Sitting back and pretending it’s whitey holding them down is the least effective solution, but it makes everyone feel better. 

First, you would have to get them to acknowledge the problem, good luck with that.

Those are unfortunate truths. Hell, one poster even said the problem was a myth. Sheesh, that’s disturbing. 

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Now, given I haven't addressed the data indicating that Black men actually are not more likely to be "absent" in the sense of uninvolved, it's pretty fucking amazingly miraculous that the Black family is holding up as well as it is.

Given the systematic oppression of the black people for the centuries it has happened in America, the amount of patience and perseverance shown by black people in America is admirable.

Speaking of admirable...

Start about 12:50 in...

About 16:30 in for those interested in genuine insight into the long-term ramifications of slavery and Jim Crow on black America. (genuinely interest, not self-justification-seeking racists like Chrispy)

9 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Those are unfortunate truths. 

Based on what evidence? What evidence do you have that blacks "sit back" and blame "whitey"? Any evidence at all?

What evidence do you have that blacks in America do not think fatherhood and family are important? Any evidence at all?

Edited by bad_teammate

This point shouldn't be lost in the discussion. Mechanization of agriculture and persistent Jim Crow policies in the 1950s led to a diaspora of impoverished Southern Blacks moving to Northern industrial cities. Being poor, they often had to rely on public housing.

To be eligible, however, policies dictated that a father had to be absent or that there was no breadwinner in the household. Those policies, therefore, actually incentivized fathers to be absent.

One thing that really sucked for this population is that the introduction of technology in manufacturing (like that of agriculture), along with racist Unions protecting entrenched White workers, started fucking over the Black workforce pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Given the systematic oppression of the black people for the centuries it has happened in America, the amount of patience and perseverance shown by black people in America is admirable.

Speaking of admirable...

Start about 12:50 in...

Based on what evidence? What evidence do you have that blacks "sit back" and blame "whitey"? Any evidence at all?

What evidence do you have that blacks in America do not think fatherhood and family are important? Any evidence at all?

What evidence? Have you read any of this thread? It’s everyone’s fault, but the black community. 

Um, 77% of black babies were born out of wedlock last year? It has decimated their community. I’m sure they care, hell those numbers would scare anybody. 

The above was in response to the following by Catdaddy:

Sure they do. Post depression housing policies helped lift white people out poverty and created wealth, the middle class, and destinations of commerce. Only problem is those purposefully prevented black people from taking part and now, 80 years later, people like you look back and ask what's the problem with black people.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

What evidence? Have you read any of this thread? It’s everyone’s fault, but the black community. 

You melodramatically asked if Obama represented black America... and now you're happy with this website representing black America? lol you're a fucking racist joke

Um, 77% of black babies were born out of wedlock last year? It has decimated their community. I’m sure they care, hell those numbers would scare anybody. 

If you're sure they care, why did you say they didn't? (It's because you're a cowardly racist piece of shit.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

No, I don’t know what you’re arguing. That a gun was put to their head to procreate? That they were arrested and therefore couldn’t raise the child? Please clarify. 

The poor and imprisoned have a hard time staying married.

Racism has made blacks in America poor and imprisoned for centuries.

bing bong

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You melodramatically asked if Obama represented black America... and now you're happy with this website representing black America? lol you're a fucking racist joke

If you're sure they care, why did you say they didn't? (It's because you're a cowardly racist piece of shit.

You’re misconstruing things again, but that’s ok. I said they’re very aware of the problem and that it was nearly impossible to point said problem out if you’re not part of the community. Not that they didn’t care. 

Secondly, yes I feel they minimize the role of personal responsibility and blame racism entirely too much. Making themselves victims isn’t helping them at all, as the data shows. 

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The poor and imprisoned have a hard time staying married.

Racism has made blacks in America poor and imprisoned for centuries.

bing bong

Why are they so poor? It couldn’t be.... no it couldn’t possibly be.... the destruction of the black family nucleus? No, it’s just that blue eyed devil again. 

• Fuck You 1