Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The catch isn't agreeing it's a problem/wrong. We can all agree on that. The catch is shrugging your shoulders and saying "lmao fix it yourself blacks".

Because blacks actively want white people to provide input and solve their problems for them? I don’t think that’s how this works.

Tell me how I can do my part. More scholarships? Ok, I’m for it. More balance in the workforce for qualified candidates? Don’t love it, but I can live with it.

When I become a business magnet that can provide these things to 1 person per year out of the millions affected, change is a coming!

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's like watching a simpleton smugly say "checkmate" after shoving your king up his nose.

And why do they have such a low divorce rate and why do they "put an emphasis" on education? Why? What makes them different in that way from slave-descended black Americans?

I notice you left out the success of the Asian American, smart move. I work with many Nigerian immigrants and they despise the victim attitude that has, in their view, weakened so many African Americans. They recognize the best path to success and they work to achieve it. They’re an inspiration, and as a result, I actually improved my job performance. 

They’ve laid out the best path to success, it’s up to the rest of us to follow. 

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Because blacks actively want white people to provide input and solve their problems for them? I don’t think that’s how this works.

Tell me how I can do my part. More scholarships? Ok, I’m for it. More balance in the workforce for qualified candidates? Don’t love it, but I can live with it.

When I become a business magnet that can provide these things to 1 person per year out of the millions affected, change is a coming!

Lol man if I had the answers I wouldn't be posting on a message board about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

I notice you left out the success of the Asian American, smart move. I work with many Nigerian immigrants and they despise the victim attitude that has, in their view, weakened so many African Americans. They recognize the best path to success and they work to achieve it. They’re an inspiration, and as a result, I actually improved my job performance. 

Lol @ this Asian-American vs. African-American false equivalency. As if the barrier to entry to our society was the same for both.

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

It's also up to us to stop throwing up road blocks. Not arresting people for the crime of being black is one of many great places to start.

Edited by David Dennison

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nigerians that make it to the US are the elite of the elite from that country.  They did well back home and do better here due to opportunity.  I am friends with a family from Nigeria.  He is Oxford educated and a senior executive at a large company.

But rest assured the vast, vast, vast majority of the population in Nigeria is far more fucked up than American blacks.  How many kids born out of wedlock over there is impossible to determine as 70% of the kids aren't even registered as being born.  They have no birth certificate and in legal terms, they do not exist.

OK, so what accounts for the disparity within Nigeria?

We're gonna get there! I have hope!

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

So white American liberals are their only hope?

White liberals are only slightly better than white conservatives in this regard.

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Y’all are dumb arguing back and forth with BT and DD 

The answer is whites have ruined the chances for the black community forever. There’s no fixing it. Any and all problems lie at the feet of your ancestors (if you’re white) and nothing can or will fix it going forward.  All whites came to America rich, and is the only reason their current generations have made it  Exact opposite applies for anyone blessed with some pigment  

This doesn’t stop for American blacks, but anyone who is darker than your run of the mill Hispanic. Except Asians, they don’t count - their success is an outlier.  Same goes for Snacks, Mizzou, or other educated AA that frequent this site Also outliers, probably had white ancestors  

Whining bitch sarcasm is always where they retreat. #sad

@Chrispy

Why is it so hard for you to answer simple questions? Why do you flail around so much?

And why do they have such a low divorce rate and why do they "put an emphasis" on education? Why? What makes them different in that way from slave-descended black Americans?

Please answer simple questions, you stupid racist coward.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lol @ this Asian-American vs. African-American false equivalency. As if the barrier to entry to our society was the same for both.

Yes, whites built the railroads and the Japanese were never put in concentration camps. Read a damn history book. Our education system has failed so many. 

Let's pay reparations.  I am fine with that.  Make it enough to square everything.  Then everyone must shut the fuck up and move on and never bitch about racism or white privilege again.  Because at that point focusing on past wrongs is just hindering progress.  I am dead serious, I am for it.

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Let's pay reparations.  I am fine with that.  Make it enough to square everything.  Then everyone must shut the fuck up and move on and never bitch about racism or white privilege again.  Because at that point focusing on past wrongs is just hindering progress.  I am dead serious, I am for it.

So even if racism still exists we're not allowed to talk about it because it hurts your feelings?

fuckin' lol

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

OK, so what accounts for the disparity within Nigeria?

We're gonna get there! I have hope!

White liberals are only slightly better than white conservatives in this regard.

Whining bitch sarcasm is always where they retreat. #sad

@Chrispy

Why is it so hard for you to answer simple questions? Why do you flail around so much?

Please answer simple questions, you stupid racist coward.

Because, for them, coming to America is a dream and they’ll be damned before they have to go back. They recognize how truly great this country is and all of the opportunities that it presents, there’s no way in hell they’ll squander their chance. We won the lottery being born here, but we often take it for granted. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Because, for them, coming to America is a dream and they’ll be damned before they have to go back. They recognize how truly great this country is and all of the opportunities that it presents, there’s no way in hell they’ll squander their chance. We won the lottery being born here, but we often take it for granted. 

It's just a shame those opportunities aren't available to everyone.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am sure you still will.  And it really, really helps things even after reparations have squared things up.

One time reparations don't really fix anything, to be honest. We've fucked the black community over so hard that I'm not sure there is a good answer out there.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

One time reparations don't really fix anything, to be honest. We've fucked the black community over so hard that I'm not sure there is a good answer out there.

The self immolation is never ending in here. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

And what situations did these people come from in Nigeria? Are we talking about the impoverished dregs of society or children of the Nigerian middle/upper class? Were their parents in the extremely impoverished class? Were their parents well educated?

Did they come to America because they were starving in the conurbations around Lagos? Or did they come to America as a way to increase their already-existing wealth?

Yes, education and hard work get you nowhere. 

You're in your usual bitch-mode of whining sarcasm, but this is very often the absolute truth.

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Oh, here’s the flagellation again. Yes, education and hard work get you nowhere. 

I never said that. You set up that particular straw man.

My argument is that education and hard work are often mitigated by race-based discrimination.

Edited by David Dennison

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

And what situations did these people come from in Nigeria? Are we talking about the impoverished dregs of society or children of the Nigerian middle/upper class? Were their parents in the extremely impoverished class? Were their parents well educated?

Did they come to America because they were starving in the conurbations around Lagos? Or did they come to America as a way to increase their already-existing wealth?

You're in your usual bitch-mode of whining sarcasm, but this is very often the absolute truth.

Some had wealthy families, some didn’t. It’s rather irrelevant in the end really. 

Just tell young black men to pack it in I guess. He’s a victim and no matter how hard one works, it’s fruitless. It’s easier than telling them the truth though, so I understand your inclination to coddle. 

Some had wealthy families, some didn’t. It’s rather irrelevant in the end really. 

Just tell young black men to pack it in I guess. He’s a victim and no matter how hard one works, it’s fruitless. It’s easier than telling them the truth though, so I understand your inclination to coddle. 

The problem is your version of the truth doesn't account for all of the truth.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I never said that. You set up that particular straw man.

My argument is that education and hard work are often mitigated by race-based discrimination.

Often mitigated? Please. What an uplifting message to the black youth. “Hey guys, don’t bother, you’re screwed no matter how hard you work”. Sheesh, talk about crippling an entire generation. 

15 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Deflection. That has nothing to do with black fathers abandoning their responsibly in droves. 

15 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Hint: it’s not. 

Also, he mentions he came from a two parent household and is very successful. Only further proving my point of the importance of fathers. 

Bro, you have no idea what you are talking about. Like. At all. Black people are out here trying. I came from a single parent home and I too am not struggling. You are missing a very simple fact. It takes time and generations for people to find success in life. You expected everyone to get their shit together as soon as the civil right act was signed. Ridiculous to say the least.

Another fact that you are missing is how the war on drugs affected the black community. Young people were getting slapped with life altering crimes for things that should've been a slap on the wrist. That had way more to do with set backs in the black community then "just choosing to not be in their kids' lives". But by all means carry on. The soap box is right over there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The only person saying that is you.

No, you literally just said their hard work was mitigated. You just want to pat them on the head and tell them they’re a victim. It’s irresponsible to espouse that garbage, especially to the black youth in this country. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Nah man, but pretending the problem will just fix itself is asinine, which is what we constantly do.

All that "helping" does is take responsibility and accountability away from the people that should be responsible and accountable.  

Do you honestly think that blacks aren't capable of taking care of their own shit?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Bro, you have no idea what you are talking about. Like. At all. Black people are out here trying. I came from a single parent home and I too am not struggling. You are missing a very simple fact. It takes time and generations for people to find success in life. You expected everyone to get their shit together as soon as the civil right act was signed. Ridiculous to say the least.

Another fact that you are missing is how the war on drugs affected the black community. Young people were getting slapped with life altering crimes for things that should've been a slap on the wrist. That had way more to do with set backs in the black community then "just choosing to not be in their kids' lives". But by all means carry on. The soap box is right over there.

Be honest about the War on Drugs.  The biggest proponents on tough mandatory sentences for crack were blacks lawmakers and leaders in the black communities.  Which makes some sense.  Crack hit that community like a freight train and scared the fuck out those in it.  It turned out to be wrong, but I do not believe it was racist.  Unless you think the CBC was racist.

No, you literally just said their hard work was mitigated. You just want to pat them on the head and tell them they’re a victim. It’s irresponsible to espouse that garbage, especially to the black youth in this country. 

I said it's often mitigated, which it is. You are misconstruing that as saying it's always mitigated, which is not the case. 

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I’m glad to hear you’re doing well, as many in your position are not. The civil rights act and drug war played a role in the past, I’m not denying that. But in 2018? No, I think the lack of personal accountability is the main culprit.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I said it's often mitigated, which it is. You are misconstruing that as saying it's always mitigated, which is not the case. 

Often means more than not, correct? You’re espousing dangerous rhetoric that would cripple the black youth. Stop with that nonsense. 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when you are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.

Good post. This is an important point that lots of people overlook.

To flesh out the argument:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I’m glad to hear you’re doing well, as many in your position are not. The civil rights act and drug war played a role in the past, I’m not denying that. But in 2018? No, I think the lack of personal accountability is the main culprit.

Bro, it's been 54 years since the ink was laid in the Civil Right Act. 54 years. That's barely a single generation. That's not a lot of time to ask an entire race of people to get their shit together. Black people are not robots my friend. We are people the same as you, and as such we suffer from the same shortcomings that all the other people in this world have. We have alcoholism, drug abuse, mental health issues, or just plain being assholes. In order for the black community to rise up to the level that the white community is at in that short a time span they would have to be flawless. There are many layers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Racist policies and racial discrimination cripple black youth.

Telling young children that the cards are stacked against them is the worst possible thing you could do to a child. It kills their motivation and destroys their self worth. You must not have children. 

12 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

It's not at all irrelevant. Wealth is primarily generational and social and economic mobility are far more constrained than popularly conceived. Immigrant populations will do better the more money they have coming in and the stronger connections they have to their homeland. Race is the irrelevant factor.

Black Americans, when slave-descended, have none of the built-in advantages of even the poorest of immigrant classes.

The populations that have had the most stolen from them would logically be the ones doing the worst and if we look at America right now, slave-descended blacks and Native American populations are showing the signs of centuries of systemic oppression.

Bitch-ass sarcasm. Always with the bitch-ass sarcasm.

Often means more than not, correct?

No, that's not what "often" means. Christ you're dumb.

Telling young children that the cards are stacked against them is the worst possible thing you could do to a child. It kills their motivation and destroys their self worth. You must not have children. 

Says noted child psychologist, Racist Idiot.

1 minute ago, Amobie said:

All that "helping" does is take responsibility and accountability away from the people that should be responsible and accountable.  

Do you honestly think that blacks aren't capable of taking care of their own shit?

In what sense is anyone here taking responsibility or accountability away from American blacks? Should white Americans not analyze the impact of white power and white racism in America?

I am not saying black Americans should or should not do anything.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Be honest about the War on Drugs.  The biggest proponents on tough mandatory sentences for crack were blacks lawmakers and leaders in the black communities. 

Cite your sources.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Be honest about the War on Drugs.  The biggest proponents on tough mandatory sentences for crack were blacks lawmakers and leaders in the black communities.  Which makes some sense.  Crack hit that community like a freight train and scared the fuck out those in it.  It turned out to be wrong, but I do not believe it was racist.  Unless you think the CBC was racist.

You strike a good point, but nonetheless the black community was hit the hardest with those sentences, and as such a lot of fathers were taken out of their kids' lives for long stretches of time over little offenses that should've been slaps on the wrist. We will never know what the thinking was behind it, but we do know where it was targeted.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can’t imagine the depression I’d feel if I sat around and blamed all my problems on events that took place centuries ago.  Gtfo with that.  

Good luck with your struggles BT. 

Dude, what problems do I have that I blame anyone for? My life is fucking amazing. The only person I blame for anything in my life is my wife for making me late to every god damned social function we attend together.

I just notice that centuries of (continuing) power domination by my race has fucked over a whole lot of people.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Bro, it's been 54 years since the ink was laid in the Civil Right Act. 54 years. That's barely a single generation. That's not a lot of time to ask an entire race of people to get their shit together. Black people are not robots my friend. We are people the same as you, and as such we suffer from the same shortcomings that all the other people in this world have. We have alcoholism, drug abuse, mental health issues, or just plain being assholes. In order for the black community to rise up to the level that the white community is at in that short a time span they would have to be flawless. There are many layers.

That’s the point, we’re all screwed up and face adversity every single day. No matter the race or gender, life is a bitch. I’ve scratched and clawed my way to a good life and I’ll be damned before someone tells me I earned it with white privilege. Asking the black community to step up and raise their children in a two parent household is a way to help them achieve greater success, which is the ultimate goal. It’s not scolding, it’s solid advice. Advice they would be smart to incorporate. 

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You strike a good point, but nonetheless the black community was hit the hardest with those sentences, and as such a lot of fathers were taken out of their kids' lives for long stretches of time over little offenses that should've been slaps on the wrist. We will never know what the thinking was behind it, but we do know where it was targeted.

Targeted at drug users?