Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

38 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

One of the most difficult parts of these discussions is the fact that guys like spanky don't realize what they don't know, and are sure that their lack of knowledge of something is proof that it didn't happen. He's utterly unaware of the fact that many prime-grade minority borrowers, who didn't even apply for subprime loans, were nonetheless fraudulently given subprime loans prior to the housing market collapse because those were more valuable to the lenders.

Actually, that is completely incorrect. If I don't have all of the information, I am happy to obtain it and re-evaluate my position based upon it. If you are handing me a think piece, then perhaps I'd be guilty as charged. If you have a contribution that discredits my stance I'd be willing to look at it.

The problem with a person such as yourself is that you're always convinced that you are smarter than everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Cool.  But you should know that the answer isn't mass imprisonment of citizens. 

Well, not only that, it’s not feasible. My assumption earlier in the thread was that a poster mentioned I was being hypocritical in my position by saying that crack users should go to jail and not opioid users. Hence my original commment, that no I’m ok with them going to jail. 

Sorry for the confusion.

54 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Bigoted, give me a break. Any hint of personal accountably in the black community postulated by a white man is racist. Which is why none of this will get solved. 

None of this well get solved as long as the scolding of white people goes unheeded!!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

None of this well get solved as long as the scolding of white people goes unheeded!!

Take the advice or don’t, it’s up to them. I’d rather them adhere to it since we’re all in this together, but alas, it’s out of my hands. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Take the advice or don’t, it’s up to them. I’d rather them adhere to it since we’re all in this together, but alas, it’s out of my hands. 

can you name the black people who do not believe that hard work, education, and family are important? Can you quote any of them? Anything?

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Chrispy said:

The problem is, many in the black community take the advice, do everything right, and still wind up being the victims of racial discrimination. That's something white people don't have to put up with.

If you are born in this country and have good health, you have already won the lottery.  There is a surefire way to never be poor if you are an American who is not disabled.  It is both simple and very easy.

1. Finish high school.

2. Do not abuse alcohol, use illegal drugs, or commit felonies.

3. Work full time and show up to work every day on time and do your best (you will be a valuable employee even if you have a sub 90 IQ).

4. Either marry or cohabitate with a partner who does the same.

5. Do not have kids until you can afford them.

This works even if you are dirt poor and black as the Ace of Spades or white trash from the shittiest part of the Appalachians.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you are born in this country and have good health, you have already won the lottery.  There is a surefire way to never be poor if you are an American who is not disabled.  It is both simple and very easy.

1. Finish high school.

3. Work full time and show up to work every day on time and do your best (you will be a valuable employee even if you have a sub 90 IQ).

This works even if you are dirt poor and black as the Ace of Spades or white trash from the shittiest part of the Appalachians.  

There are plenty of people in this country who do these things and remain poor.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

They will have plenty of food, make rent, have transportation, cell phone, data plan, be able to eat out, have a big tv and nice cable package, and all of the other modern conveniences.  That really is not poor compared to most of the world.

If they want to earn more, they can go to night school at the local CC and learn a trade.  Using the same formula they will be middle class.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

1. Finish high school.

People are born poor bro.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

They will have plenty of food, make rent, have transportation, cell phone, data plan, be able to eat out, have a big tv and nice cable package, and all of the other modern conveniences.  That really is not poor compared to most of the world.

If they want to earn more, they can go to night school at the local CC and learn a trade.  Using the same formula they will be middle class.

Just out of curiosity, how did you pay for college?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Or, and this is a crazy idea, how about we start enforcing the law in a non-discriminatory manner. Is that too much to ask?

Lol. Then everyone would have a jail record. Every kid that smoked weed. Every kid that drank underage. Every suburban teenage girl that shoplifted at the mall.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There are plenty of people that didn't do that and still worked their way out of it. Like me.

Kid at 19, married at 20. Both wife and I have degrees and great jobs. 1 kid in college, which we are paying for, who is living in the house we own in Dallas. Another kid about to be a Senior living in our house in Long Island and will join his brother in Fall 2019. Cars paid off (A 2010 Town & Country and a 2012 Toyota Corolla) and absolutely no debt beyond our mortgages. We travel the world at least twice a year. Both have a surplus in our 401K accounts. (Well, we'll see what the stock market says about that) We don't spend beyond our means and live more cheaply than we can afford to.

I waited tables and did odd jobs in my early 20's. I went to college and then law school at night. I saw my car repoed in the middle of the night because I had to choose what I could afford to pay due to getting a DWI. I borrowed $ against a credit card and damn near had to declare bankruptcy. I've had times in my life where I couldn't even visit the ATM because I didn't have over $20 in the checking account. I couldn't even get a secured credit card because my score was in the 600's. My parents were 17 and 18 when they had me, so there wasn't some trust fund either.

I decided that I didn't want to keep living like that and changed. It can be done. The fact that my skin is white and my name isn't Kwame had fuck-all to do with it. Life is hard. Excuses are for the weak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

There are plenty of people that didn't do that and still worked their way out of it. Like me.

Kid at 19, married at 20. Both wife and I have degrees and great jobs. 1 kid in college, which we are paying for, who is living in the house we own in Dallas. Another kid about to be a Senior living in our house in Long Island and will join his brother in Fall 2019. Cars paid off (A 2010 Town & Country and a 2012 Toyota Corolla) and absolutely no debt beyond our mortgages. We travel the world at least twice a year. Both have a surplus in our 401K accounts. (Well, we'll see what the stock market says about that) We don't spend beyond our means and live more cheaply than we can afford to.

I waited tables and did odd jobs in my early 20's. I went to college and then law school at night. I saw my car repoed in the middle of the night because I had to choose what I could afford to pay due to getting a DWI. I borrowed $ against a credit card and damn near had to declare bankruptcy. I've had times in my life where I couldn't even visit the ATM because I didn't have over $20 in the checking account. I couldn't even get a secured credit card because my score was in the 600's. My parents were 17 and 18 when they had me, so there wasn't some trust fund either.

I decided that I didn't want to keep living like that and changed. It can be done. The fact that my skin is white and my name isn't Kwame had fuck-all to do with it. Life is hard. Excuses are for the weak.

Sure it can be done.

It's much easier if you're white.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Sure it can be done.

It's much easier if you're white.

*Insert Jackie Chan WTF pic here*

Actually, it would have been easier if I were black. I could have had more scholarship opportunities available to me instead of having to pay full price. 

2 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Yes, the high is way more powerful than cocaine, just short lived. 

I told you the board was going to light you up...lol.

You do realize that you are arguing that you should get more time for crack because it supposedly is more addicting when crack wouldn't exist if you rid yourself of cocaine, right? So why not just go after cocaine? The answer is simple, but I want to see if you try and squirm around it.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

*Insert Jackie Chan WTF pic here*

Actually, it would have been easier if I were black. I could have had more scholarship opportunities available to me instead of having to pay full price. 

It's not as easy as you think.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's not as easy as you think.

I don't think it's easy at all. I have loads of experience in that department. I had to sacrifice my 20's to be a dad to enter into this new phase where I'm going to turn 40 and neither will be living with me anymore. There are no "play dates" for teenage pregnancy. All of my peers are a decade behind me. It is, however, very easy not to buy a $500,000 house and lease a brand new Audi like my friend that is having to put both on the auction block today because she "deserved it". It's not just accumulating wealth, it's managing it smartly for long term health. It doesn't take a financial guru to shun extreme consumerism so others will be impressed at your "success".

But, back to the original point, there is absolutely nothing in my path that was aided by anything other than pure drive and determination. Where that statement is folly is that I didn't have a negative environment influencing me against advancing like many of my black counterparts may have. It doesn't diminish the fact that it's much easier to go down the other path of acceptance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I don't think it's easy at all. I have loads of experience in that department. I had to sacrifice my 20's to be a dad to enter into this new phase where I'm going to turn 40 and neither will be living with me anymore. There are no "play dates" for teenage pregnancy. All of my peers are a decade behind me. It is, however, very easy not to buy a $500,000 house and lease a brand new Audi like my friend that is having to put both on the auction block today because she "deserved it". It's not just accumulating wealth, it's managing it smartly for long term health. It doesn't take a financial guru to shun extreme consumerism so others will be impressed at your "success".

But, back to the original point, there is absolutely nothing in my path that was aided by anything other than pure drive and determination. Where that statement is folly is that I didn't have a negative environment influencing me against advancing like many of my black counterparts may have. It doesn't diminish the fact that it's much easier to go down the other path of acceptance.

Being white helped you.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Being white helped you.

I'm not going to feed the troll

Did it help me get into college? No, being white actually hindered me. Did it help me get jobs waiting tables? No. Did it motivate me to dig myself out of debt and raise my credit score to 800+? Nope. Did it get me my current job? LOL...

Just now, Spankytoes said:

Did it help me get into college? No, being white actually hindered me. Did it help me get jobs waiting tables? No. Did it motivate me to dig myself out of debt and raise my credit score to 800+? Nope. Did it get me my current job? LOL...

Sure.

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I told you the board was going to light you up...lol.

You do realize that you are arguing that you should get more time for crack because it supposedly is more addicting when crack wouldn't exist if you rid yourself of cocaine, right? So why not just go after cocaine? The answer is simple, but I want to see if you try and squirm around it.

I didn’t argue for longer sentences for crack, only that is was very concentrated, had an instantaneous high that was short lived, and ravaged the black community. 

Um, they did and continue to go after coacaine.

I took issue with comparing that to high school tomfoolery, so you’re somewhat confused. 

Now, I don’t think the mandatory sentencing was some surreptitious plan to cripple the black community, I think the community at large was scared shitless and overreacted. Some of that misguided policy is still felt today. 

They’re raiding meth labs daily. Here locally and across the nation; is this racially motivated also? Of course not.

13 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Don’t let him bring you down. From one white guy to another, congratulations on your success. There is no amount of self immolation or flaggelation that they will deem sufficient. Just know that your success eats them up inside and that should be enough. 

Edited by Chrispy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is zero doubt being black helps you get into better schools than your similarly situated white or asian counterparts.  It also helps in certain job markets (and hurts in others).

Zero question. Especially in the legal industry.

8 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Don’t let him bring you down. From one white guy to another, congratulations on your success. There is no amount of self immolation or flaggelation that they will deem sufficient. Just know that your success eats them up inside and that should be enough. 

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I didn’t argue for longer sentences for crack, only that is was very concentrated, had an instantaneous high that was short lived, and ravaged the black community. 

Um, they did and continue to go after coacaine.

I took issue with comparing that to high school tomfoolery, so you’re somewhat confused. 

Now, I don’t think the mandatory sentencing was some surreptitious plan to cripple the black community, I think the community at large was scared shitless and overreacted. Some of that misguided policy is still felt today. 

They’re raiding meth labs daily. Here locally and across the nation; is this racially motivated also? Of course not.

No they did not. They weren't running all through Beverly Hills giving high society 3 and 4 years for snorting coke at parties.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is zero doubt being black helps you get into better schools than your similarly situated white or asian counterparts.  It also helps in certain job markets (and hurts in others).

Haha...that is outlandish. The state of Texas had to go to the 10% rule because the exact opposite was true. College was a legacy thing prior to that.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No they did not. They weren't running all through Beverly Hills giving high society 3 and 4 years for snorting coke at parties.

Beverly Hills? That’s your basis for how the US enforced cocaine laws? 

How insightful, rich people got off easy from drug convictions. Stop being paranoid my man, nobody is out to get you. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

Beverly Hills? That’s your basis for how the US enforced cocaine laws? 

How insightful, rich people got off easy from drug convictions. Stop being paranoid my man, nobody is out to get you. 

People on this thread have told you their friends were doing lines of coke in their early years and nothing came of it. Rich people are not getting off easy on drug convictions, they are NOT even looking for them.

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

People on this thread have told you their friends were doing lines of coke in their early years and nothing came of it. Rich people are not getting off easy on drug convictions, they are NOT even looking for them.

An anecdotal story about a guy doing blow with his friends is sufficient evidence that the DEA is not looking for cocaine? 

If you want to indulge these conspiracy theories, have at it, just know that it will result in unnecessary paranoia and wasted energy. 

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Haha...that is outlandish. The state of Texas had to go to the 10% rule because the exact opposite was true. College was a legacy thing prior to that.

Are you fucking pulling my leg?  Top ten percent was passed to circumvent Hopwood, which banned race based affirmative action.  

Texas was discriminating against whites in favor of blacks and Hispanics. That practice was stopped by the 5th circuit. So the lege passed top ten percent rule. Urban, minority and rural coalition got it done. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
15 minutes ago, trauma babe said:
It's amazing a white person can get into Harvard these days.

Or get a job at Fulbright apparently.

You don’t think being a minority is an advantage to getting hired at Biglaw? Fuck me you can’t be serious.  There aren’t a ton of minorities that make the Big Law grade cut, but the ones that do are like gold. And firms will bend the supposed GPA cutoff for minorities if it is close. 

I was on the hiring committee at a big firm. 

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

People doing lines of coke were on Wall Street and actors or rock stars. They weren’t going around murdering, sticking people up or breaking into homes so they could pay for their next fix.  Crack scared everyone and was seen as far more harmful to a neighborhood  

Meth is treated similarly.