Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

53 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't think the way to go about this is to disparage Johnny Sack for his relative "privileged" upbringing in the work force.  He could have fucked it up, but he didn't. 

That said, how many African-Americans have a  grandfather from the depression era without a college degree that started a business that made them millionaires?  Can we at least acknowledge that racial discrimination pretty much wouldn't allow that to happen back then?  Can we recognize that African-Americans typically don't have those success stories in their family that have a hugely positive effect on their kids and grandkids?

Actually, there were many self-sufficient families of Native/ Aboriginal-African decent, that came from well established communities as in:

Houston, Texas- https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/neighborhood/houston-history-freedmens-town-71526

Tulsa, Oklahoma- https://timeline.com/history-tulsa-race-massacre-a92bb2356a69

New York City, New York- http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/seneca-village-black-town-razed-central-park-article-1.2639611

Rosewood, Florida- https://www.myajc.com/news/national/the-rosewood-massacre-how-lie-destroyed-black-town/wTcKjELkGskePsWiwutQuO/

Allensworth, California http://kvpr.org/post/remembering-allensworth-california-town-founded-and-run-african-americans

And countless other communities that were gutted by government redlining districts & improper restrictions placed on improving the socio-economic status of displaced survivors...

But I get your point, the answer would probably be no for the majority of posters on this thread... We must remember we are far stronger together than apart as a nation under God...

• Like 1

This thread began with a specific incident that illustrates how blacks in this country face continuing discrimination that has real consequences for their lives. The argument since then seems to boil down to a discussion of whether blacks are afforded other advantages, with the implication that these supposed advantages offset the disadvantages caused by racial discrimination.

White privilege is another way of saying discrimination against minorities, and blacks face the worst of it in this country. I don’t think that’s a controversial statement, although Native Americans may disagree, and they may have a point. Discrimination rears its head in cases like the Starbucks incident and in more significant cases, like differences in hiring rates and unequal enforcement of laws and sentencing. ‘Driving while black’ is a thing; ‘driving while white’ isn’t. Sentencing disparities based on race are well documented, and have large and long-lasting effects on peoples’ lives. I knew an old fella that owned a business in Austin and hired hundreds of people over the more than 30 years he ran it, not one of them black even though there were plenty of blacks qualified for those jobs. Maybe you can say those two guys in the Starbucks got lucky because they are still alive; that’s probably an exaggeration, but it’s not a huge one. We’ve seen plenty of Bernard incidents where similar situations ended up being escalated to the point where someone got shot. Real estate redlining is an actual problem. The list goes on.

The point is, policy solutions may help, but they won’t solve the problem (and of course there will be those that argue against any policy solutions anyway; affirmative action is all but dead because reverse racism is a handy buzzword). The only thing that will really solve the problem completely is cultural change, so that people don’t learn racial prejudice in the first place. The first step toward that, it seems to me, is for people to at least acknowledge that discrimination exists. And that means that privilege exists. I’m white, and it is clear to me that I’ve had lots of advantages because of my skin color. I’m not proud of it, nor am I ashamed of it; it’s just a fact. I really don’t see what’s so hard about acknowledging that fact when it’s staring you in the face: if you’re white in the US, you have a number of advantages over minorities right out of the gate. Can anyone explain to me why that’s so hard to admit? Chrispy? Spanky? Johnny? Anyone?

Edited by Bat Guano
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

This thread began with a specific incident that illustrates how blacks in this country face continuing discrimination that has real consequences for their lives. The argument since then seems to boil down to a discussion of whether blacks are afforded other advantages, with the implication that these supposed advantages offset the disadvantages caused by racial discrimination.

White privilege is another way of saying discrimination against minorities, and blacks face the worst of it in this country. I don’t think that’s a controversial statement, although Native Americans may disagree, and they may have a point. Discrimination rears its head in cases like the Starbucks incident and in more significant cases, like differences in hiring rates and unequal enforcement of laws and sentencing. ‘Driving while black’ is a thing; ‘driving while white’ isn’t. Sentencing disparities based on race are well documented, and have large and long-lasting effects on peoples’ lives. I knew an old fella that owned a business in Austin and hired hundreds of people over the more than 30 years he ran it, not one of them black even though there were plenty of blacks qualified for those jobs. Maybe you can say those two guys in the Starbucks got lucky because they are still alive; that’s probably an exaggeration, but it’s not a huge one. We’ve seen plenty of Bernard incidents where similar situations ended up being escalated to the point where someone got shot. Real estate redlining is an actual problem. The list goes on.

The point is, policy solutions may help, but they won’t solve the problem (and of course there will be those that argue against any policy solutions anyway; affirmative action is all but dead because reverse racism is a handy buzzword). The only thing that will really solve the problem completely is cultural change, so that people don’t learn racial prejudice in the first place. The first step toward that, it seems to me, is for people to at least acknowledge that discrimination exists. And that means that privilege exists. I’m white, and it is clear to me that I’ve had lots of advantages because of my skin color. I’m not proud of it, nor am I ashamed of it; it’s just a fact. I really don’t see what’s so hard about acknowledging that fact when it’s staring you in the face: if you’re white in the US, you have a number of advantages over minorities right out of the gate. Can anyone explain to me why that’s so hard to admit? Chrispy? Spanky? Johnny? Anyone?

Pretty sure I admitted it.  Whites have the advantage in most situations, though there are some where being black is a privilege.  Why can't you admit that?

Can you also admit that anyone born in this country without a disability is privileged?  That if they finish school, work, obey the law, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, marry or live with someone who does the same, and do not have kids before they can afford them, that they will never lack necessities?  Regardless of their color.

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You can't even begin to try because you're an intellectual and moral coward.

Let's start with this and see if you can begin to answer a fucking question:

Why are only 4.8% of blacks practicing attorneys when they represent 12.3% of the population?

Time to lay down that King.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pretty sure I admitted it.  Whites have the advantage in most situations, though there are some where being black is a privilege.  Why can't you admit that?

Can you also admit that anyone born in this country without a disability is privileged?  That if they finish school, work, obey the law, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, marry or live with someone who does the same, and do not have kids before they can afford them, that they will never lack necessities?  Regardless of their color.

Agree with everything here. Not sure why arguments are being made against positions not being taken. Well, I supposed that's not completely true...

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Black guys get arrested in Starbucks for being black.

Johnny Sacks response: "If they finish school, work, obey the law, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, marry or live with someone who does the same, and do not have kids before they can afford them, that they will never lack necessities."

It would also be helpful if black people would announce that they are only in public because a man named Logan summoned them for a meeting.  Then they should subtly explain that Logan is a mediocre dancer at best, wears topsiders with no socks and owns more than one Christmas sweater.  

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You (or someone) brought up the example of biglaw hiring. This seems to be debatable; if black candidates manage to achieve a good enough GPA from a good enough school they are pretty capable individuals and will have a bright future regardless of any ‘privilege’ afforded them by a few law firms; at that point we’re quibbling over which firm will make them the best offer. But for the sake of argument let’s assume it’s true, and top black law school graduates get a tangible, significant benefit from their skin color. Great for them. Anything else? What other ‘privileges’ are you referring to?

Yes, being born into the richest country in the history of the world is a privilege. And yes, if people follow your formula in general they will not lack for necessities; not a guarantee, but in general true. So what? Does that ameliorate racial discrimination? If you apply that standard to your own life – work hard, play by the rules, all the rest – don’t you expect more than just ‘never lack for necessities?’ I’m sure you’re aiming for something a bit more than necessities; you’ve undoubtedly surrounded yourself with material luxury and wealth, prestige, and freedom from financial worry for the rest of your days. Would you really be satisfied if you were working hard 40 hours a week or more and it bought you a 600 square foot house, enough food to keep from starving, enough clothes to get you through your work week, and medical care? The necessities. Is that what you want from life? I doubt it. Why is that enough  for other people in the richest country in the history of the world?

Edit: Another question:

To bring this back to the original topic, we have no indication that the two guys in the Starbucks didn’t follow your prescription to the letter, and they were arrested anyway. I think we can safely assume that Johnny Sack would not be arrested in a similar situation, but again for the sake of argument let’s assume some kind of equality and fantasize that you were arrested for sitting at a Starbucks. Would an arrest on your record dissuade a law firm from hiring you? Suppose it happened a couple of times; now you're a repeat offender. Maybe you don’t get that cushy job at Biglaw and your lifetime earnings are cut by half, or more. Are we copacetic? Still happy with your lot in life?

Edited by Bat Guano

11 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Yes, being born into the richest country in the history of the world is a privilege. And yes, if people follow your formula in general they will not lack for necessities; not a guarantee, but in general true. So what? Does that ameliorate racial discrimination? If you apply that standard to your own life – work hard, play by the rules, all the rest – don’t you expect more than just ‘never lack for necessities?’ I’m sure you’re aiming for something a bit more than necessities; you’ve undoubtedly surrounded yourself with material luxury and wealth, prestige, and freedom from financial worry for the rest of your days. Would you really be satisfied if you were working hard 40 hours a week or more and it bought you a 600 square foot house, enough food to keep from starving, enough clothes to get you through your work week, and medical care? The necessities. Is that what you want from life? I doubt it. Why is that enough  for other people in the richest country in the history of the world?

I don't disagree with you.

I also don't disagree that a morbidly obese woman with a slight hint of facial hair probably won't get hired at a biglaw firm if she is lucky enough to score an interview based on her qualifications. Is that OK because she is white? Discrimination isn't a trait exclusive to minorities. But, I guarantee that if that woman is qualified, someone damn sure will hire her.

It's shitty, but that's the world we live in. I will never be the President for my local NAACP Chapter. I've learned to move on.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I also don't disagree that a morbidly obese woman with a slight hint of facial hair probably won't get hired at a biglaw firm if she is lucky enough to score an interview based on her qualifications. Is that OK because she is white?

Depends.  Is she eating during the interview?  Are corners of her mouth still shiny from ham?

40 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

95% of the time whites have an advantage. 5% of the time, being black is a privilege. But the above question is treated like an equivalent argument. It's ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I also don't disagree that a morbidly obese woman with a slight hint of facial hair probably won't get hired at a biglaw firm if she is lucky enough to score an interview based on her qualifications. Is that OK because she is white? Discrimination isn't a trait exclusive to minorities. But, I guarantee that if that woman is qualified, someone damn sure will hire her.

It's shitty, but that's the world we live in. I will never be the President for my local NAACP Chapter. I've learned to move on.

Is this your way of admitting you benefit from white privilege? Kudos. You might want to learn how to express yourself more directly, though.

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

95% of the time whites have an advantage. 5% of the time, being black is a privilege. But the above question is treated like an equivalent argument. It's ridiculous. 

Ah yes, the power of being a white male in America. Where your reward for being the lion is that you are the societal aggressor because I say that you are the aggressor and your inability to be shamed as such proves how aggressive you really are.  

2 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Is this your way of admitting you benefit from white privilege? Kudos. You might want to learn how to express yourself more directly, though.

hey!  one day he is going to be a business "magnet!"

2 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

No. This is my way of restating what I have said several times: Discrimination happens, just not on the widespread institutional basis people such as yourself suggests.

It's cool. I knew a lot of people that failed English back in school.

• Like 1

and it is very conspicuous that the only topic that seems to trigger a flurry of posts from spanky on the politics board generally deal with discrimination of African americans.

the topic is akin to hustling credit card points or pretending like living in a shitbox in jersey is a badge of honor in terms of being a bat signal.

vexing. 

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

and it is very conspicuous that the only topic that seems to trigger a flurry of posts from spanky on the politics board generally deal with discrimination of African americans.

the topic is akin to hustling credit card points or pretending like living in a shitbox in jersey is a badge of honor in terms of being a bat signal.

vexing. 

He has already been called a racist multiple times.  No need to virtue signal by figuring out how to do it covertly.

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

He has already been called a racist multiple times. 

I think when you say "multiple" you mean "zero". I would be interested to see where spanky was actually called a "racist".

There is a tendency among white conservatives to imagine accusations of being racist where none exist.

Edited by bad_teammate

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think when you say "multiple" you mean "zero". I would be interested to see where spanky was actually called a "racist".

There is a tendency among white conservatives to imagine accusations of being racist where none exist.

further, he's posting on this thread for his stated reason of decrying false claims of racism. after all, these guys WERE trespassing for two minutes before the cops were called, and then arrested for the same. i'm sure, CERTAIN, that their race had NOTHING to do with the cops being called and their subsequent arrest.

45 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

~~~~WhAt A tOpSy TuRvY wOrLd WhEn~~~~~

The best golfer is black

The best rapper is white

The tallest basketball player is Chinese

You are a decade late.

It's white, black, and serb now.

Classic. I never said one word about anyone accusing me of being a racist and the judge, jury and executioner have already rendered a verdict. SJW logic in a nutshell. You're not sure how to react when someone doesn't take the bait so you might as well make it up and see what sticks against the wall. It's been insinuated enough to be plausible that my feelings are hurt.

And why would I care what people living in a shitbox in NJ do? That's like a whole other State. What an odd comment to use "conspicuous" and "vexing" in the incorrect contexts.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

further, he's posting on this thread for his stated reason of decrying false claims of racism. after all, these guys WERE trespassing for two minutes before the cops were called, and then arrested for the same. i'm sure, CERTAIN, that their race had NOTHING to do with the cops being called and their subsequent arrest.

No, that was why I originally posted. Several posts back. Way before people asked to defend my position on WP.

The cops and manager were totally in the wrong and there was clearly racist undertones in the Starbucks incident. Let me know if that's not clear enough for you Professor.

37 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yup, calling him a moral coward isn't EXACTLY calling him a racist...........

27 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

The cops and manager were totally in the wrong and there was clearly racist undertones in the Starbucks incident. Let me know if that's not clear enough for you Professor.

Do you think this was an isolated incident since you don't believe there is widespread institutional discrimination against black people? 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

lol why the hell is it that the people who scream bootstraps the loudest didn't actually do the thing they are scolding blacks for not doing?

fuck off dude

Fucking this, holy fucking shit. It's okay to say you've worked hard and that is a big reason for your success. There are lots of reasons, including and importantly you race, that are outside if your immediate control that can also lead to your success or lack thereof.

24 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yup, calling him a moral coward isn't EXACTLY calling him a racist...........

As well as calling a variety of other posters racist for not succumbing to the woke SJW groupthink. I'd add that I'm probably to the left of BT on many racial issues, but calling people racist or dumb when they simply disagree or have a slightly different perspective is unproductive. If they only weren't evil or dumb, they'd think the way I do, since I'm so virtuous and smart. What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?

When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. When every (or most) disagreement ultimately boils down to racism, the word ceases to have any meaning.

• Like 5

On 4/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, Hank Kingsley said:

So, live as a black man in full consideration of expectations from the white man?

*expectation of a civil society. 

Also, fucking lol at this thread. Sack is criticized and looked down upon because his self made veteran grandfather spent his life working for his family’s future. 

Then, after losing his father in his teenage years, attends a great school, even better law school, and goes into an industry not in the family business.  Comes out and works in a stressful environment  to become more successful   

Still curious why there isn’t more black policemen/women, as I asked upthread.   Plenty of black guards in the TDCJ system. Seems like a solid generation of minority cops could help with the perceived racism from the blue angle.  

This thread also had me thinking while having a few beers last night. My company employs a hundred or so engineers in this office.  Almost all are aggy and UH.  Not a single black engineer.  Many white men, women, Hispanic (mexican, Colombian)  men and women, and a lot of Dutch and Asian.  Not a single black engineer.  Coinceidence or are my employers racist only against African Americans?  Does UH not have a lot of black engineers (I don’t know).  This thread has my interest piqued.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mole said:

As well as calling a variety of other posters racist for not succumbing to the woke SJW groupthink. I'd add that I'm probably to the left of BT on many racial issues, but calling people racist or dumb when they simply disagree or have a slightly different perspective is unproductive. If they only weren't evil or dumb, they'd think the way I do, since I'm so virtuous and smart. What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?

When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail. When every (or most) disagreement ultimately boils down to racism, the word ceases to have any meaning.

It sounds like they are treating people different from them as intellectually inferior. Like somehow their life experiences are more valuable and they must stick together to fight the oppression of an alternate viewpoint. That a level of expectation should be placed on nothing more than the color of one's skin. That we are not freethinking individuals that make up society but packs of animals.

Am I wrong or are am I being called a White N-word in a more socially acceptable way? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I don’t mean to be rude fatty, but that’s a very stupid question. 

I assume you are speaking about my query into the police?  

Its not stupid. It doesn’t take a genius to be a cop. You need a clean record and a high school diploma or associates I would assume.  It’s a fucking govt job - probably the least likely to be discriminated against. Why is it a stupid question. If 50% of police officers were black, do you feel nothing would change?  

We would probably have more white Bernard’s, but then I could bitch and whine about any hardship I encountered, too.  

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, fucking lol at this thread. Sack is criticized and looked down upon because his self made veteran grandfather spent his life working for his family’s future. 

Then, after losing his father in his teenage years, attends a great school, even better law school, and goes into an industry not in the family business.  Comes out and works in a stressful environment  to become more successful   

Still curious why there isn’t more black policemen/women, as I asked upthread.   Plenty of black guards in the TDCJ system. Seems like a solid generation of minority cops could help with the perceived racism from the blue angle.  

This thread also had me thinking while having a few beers last night. My company employs a hundred or so engineers in this office.  Almost all are aggy and UH.  Not a single black engineer.  Many white men, women, Hispanic (mexican, Colombian)  men and women, and a lot of Dutch and Asian.  Not a single black engineer.  Coinceidence or are my employers racist only against African Americans?  Does UH not have a lot of black engineers (I don’t know).  This thread has my interest piqued.  

Your company is obviously racist. 3.5% of degrees obtained by black graduates are in Engineering. If they really cared, they would force them to move to your city, obtain the proper certifications and apply for the job at a mutually agreeable salary level. So what if there is an initiative to have 10,000 black engineering graduates per year by 2025: https://www.nsbe.org/News-Media/NSBE-News/Press-Releases/graduate-10,000-black-engineers-2025.aspx

Check your WP. Ignore that shit about only 5.5% of black 8th graders completing Calculus too. That's racist facts at work again.

*Cue the "And why is the education level not on par?!? Because WP doesn't allow advancement!!!" circle*

Edited by Spankytoes

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, he's looked down on for his views on race. His upbringing only comes into play as a counter because he doesn't grasp the fact that he was afforded many opportunities as a child that are inaccessible to the majority of minority children, and many of those things are even inaccessible to poor white children.  He fails to grasp that it is nearly impossible for a black person his age to have a similarly successful grandfather.  If he was capable of understanding that, nobody would give a shit about his upbringing.  In reality, he believes racial equality is further along than it actually is. There are more successful young black people now than ever before, but there is still little in the way of generational wealth or a generational expectation of access to a good education.  These young successful people will be able to grow into Johnny Sack's grandpa, but they don't have a grandpa like he does.

As for cops, the NYPD has started to become more demographically balanced.  Eventually, small towns and Southern cities will follow suit.

And while African Americans don't go to school for engineering degrees very often, they still make up about 5% of engineering graduates.  While I assume aggy is lily white, I'd think UH had some black graduates.  A quick google leads one to think that, other than HBCUs, Florida schools have the most black engineering graduates.  But if your company is already looking to the Netherlands, Colombia, and Mexico, it should maybe cast a wider net in the USA.  You know, MAGA and all.

21 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No, he's looked down on for his views on race. His upbringing only comes into play as a counter because he doesn't grasp the fact that he was afforded many opportunities as a child that are inaccessible to the majority of minority children, and many of those things are even inaccessible to poor white children.  He fails to grasp that it is nearly impossible for a black person his age to have a similarly successful grandfather.  If he was capable of understanding that, nobody would give a shit about his upbringing.  In reality, he believes racial equality is further along than it actually is. 

What about this makes him a racist? If we could quantify racial progress, let's say that progress is at a 50 and he thinks it is at a 90. His assessment would be incorrect, but how is that racist? If someone else thinks progress is at a 20 (someone thinking we're not as far along as we actually are), is that racist?

Edited by Mole

6 minutes ago, Mole said:

What about this makes him a racist? If we could quantify racial progress, let's say that progress is at a 50 and he thinks it is at a 90. His assessment would be incorrect, but how is that racist? If someone else thinks progress is at a 20 (someone thinking we're not as far along as we actually are), is that racist?

Johnny Sack isn't being judged as a racist based on this thread alone.  He's carrying his entire posting history with him which is unapologetically racist.  Taken by themselves, the things he has said on this thread aren't so bad and are even more naive than racist.

Edited by FondrenRoad

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

They have an extra muscle in their leg that lets them jump higher. It's not racist to say that. It's science. 

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Johnny Sack isn't being judged as a racist based on this thread alone.  He's carrying his entire posting history with him which is unapologetically racist.  Taken by themselves, the things he has said on this thread aren't so bad and are even more naive than racist.

I can't say I remember anything racist from Johnny Sack back on the scat porn site, but I might have missed his entire posting history. Was the bar for him over there as low it is for declaring other posters racist (or strongly hinting at it) on this thread? That wouldn't be saying much.