Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Crack is just cocaine.  White people attached the dangers of crack to black people to make it sound really fucking scary. 

The majority of my friends were popping pills and doing cocaine in the Paradise bathroom in college.  But pills and coke are attached to white people, so no biggie. 

Oh really, it is? It couldn’t be that crack is way more addicting than cocaine could it? Or that it ravaged the black population? No, that’s not scary. 

I, too, had white friends popping pills and drinking and smoking. And guess what? Some went to jail and some didn’t. The lengths people go to feel sorry for people is ridiculous. 

Yeah, I saw a lot of that. I saw zero crack, that was in another stratosphere. 
The very fact that crack is a whole nother world of bad but other drugs don't create the same level of "oh that's bad" for you is a prime example of how racial perceptions creep and guide many actions in our society. In this particular case it's criminal justice. In other's it's schooling, housing, employment you name it.

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

The very fact that crack is a whole nother world of bad but other drugs don't create the same level of "oh that's bad" for you is a prime example of how racial perceptions creep and guide many actions in our society. In this particular case it's criminal justice. In other's it's schooling, housing, employment you name it.

the fact that he is so blind to it is telling.

Just now, Chrispy said:

Oh really, it is? It couldn’t be that crack is way more addicting than cocaine could it? Or that it ravaged the black population? No, that’s not scary. 

I, too, had white friends popping pills and drinking and smoking. And guess what? Some went to jail and some didn’t. The lengths people go to feel sorry for people is ridiculous. 

Crack isn't any more addicting than cocaine. It's cocaine mixed with baking soda and water which is then dehydrated and smoked. 

It's freebased cocaine.

11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Crack epidemic ravages black communities, lock 'em up. Opiate and heroin epidemic hits white communities hard, they need treatment. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That is very well put.

I've had trouble explaining how it's both easier being a white man, yet not everything is just simply handed to me. 

I mainly don't have to worry about the obstacles of false assumption, nor do I ever have to think twice about how I'm representing my race. A white man born out of the 1% has to work and those starting at the bottom have to work damn hard. Recognizing that it's harder for people of color and women doesn't diminish a white man's own work.

Scalzi has a good way of explaining white privilege to dipshits:

I've been thinking of a way to explain to straight white men how life works for them, without invoking the dreaded word "privilege," to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon. It's not that the word "privilege" is incorrect, it's that it's not their word. When confronted with "privilege," they fiddle with the word itself, and haul out the dictionaries and find every possible way to talk about the word but not any of the things the word signifies.

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word "privilege," in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?

Being a white guy who likes women, here's how I would do it:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US - or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world - is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let's call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, "Straight White Male" is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it's easier to get.

Now, once you've selected the "Straight White Male" difficulty setting, you still have to create a character, and how many points you get to start - and how they are apportioned - will make a difference. Initially the computer will tell you how many points you get and how they are divided up. If you start with 25 points, and your dump stat is wealth, well, then you may be kind of screwed. If you start with 250 points and your dump stat is charisma, well, then you're probably fine. Be aware the computer makes it difficult to start with more than 30 points; people on higher difficulty settings generally start with even fewer than that.

As the game progresses, your goal is to gain points, apportion them wisely, and level up. If you start with fewer points and fewer of them in critical stat categories, or choose poorly regarding the skills you decide to level up on, then the game will still be difficult for you. But because you're playing on the "Straight White Male" setting, gaining points and leveling up will still by default be easier, all other things being equal, than for another player using a higher difficulty setting.

Likewise, it's certainly possible someone playing at a higher difficulty setting is progressing more quickly than you are, because they had more points initially given to them by the computer and/or their highest stats are wealth, intelligence and constitution and/or simply because they play the game better than you do. It doesn't change the fact you are still playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

You can lose playing on the lowest difficulty setting. The lowest difficulty setting is still the easiest setting to win on. The player who plays on the "Gay Minority Female" setting? Hardcore.

And maybe at this point you say, hey, I like a challenge, I want to change my difficulty setting! Well, here's the thing: In The Real World, you don't unlock any rewards or receive any benefit for playing on higher difficulty settings. The game is just harder, and potentially a lot less fun. And you say, okay, but what if I want to replay the game later on a higher difficulty setting, just to see what it's like? Well, here's the other thing about The Real World: You only get to play it once. So why make it more difficult than it has to be? Your goal is to win the game, not make it difficult.

Oh, and one other thing. Remember when I said that you could choose your difficulty setting in The Real World? Well, I lied. In fact, the computer chooses the difficulty setting for you. You don't get a choice; you just get what gets given to you at the start of the game, and then you have to deal with it.

So that's "Straight White Male" for you in The Real World (and also, in the real world): The lowest difficulty setting there is. All things being equal, and even when they are not, if the computer—or life—assigns you the "Straight White Male" difficulty setting, then brother, you've caught a break.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Hard to pay that mortgage when you don't have a job. I'll let you dig into the numbers on employment and race after the 2008 collapse.

I'm not following. 

Are you saying that losing your job, which accounts for some of the stories, somehow affected black people accepting NINJA subprime loans 5 years prior, which accounts for 90% of the stories? And white people were somehow immune from losing their job because of WP?

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've never done crack (but dabbled in some cocaine in the past), but I believe it can be more addictive because the high is much shorter and smoking it is more intense than snorting. 

Yes, the high is way more powerful than cocaine, just short lived. 

With regards to paying your mortgage that has already been obtained? How so?
Might want to check the numbers on the type of loans given to black people vs other groups with comparable credit ratings and savings. Also the subject that has been discussed here ad naseum wrt housing policies contributes to this in a myriad of ways. One being that black neighborhoods don't appreciate at near the rate of white neighborhoods of comparable median household incomes. Therefore any loss in value is much more devastating.

10 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Might want to check the numbers on the type of loans given to black people vs other groups with comparable credit ratings and savings. Also the subject that has been discussed here ad naseum wrt housing policies contributes to this in a myriad of ways. One being that black neighborhoods don't appreciate at near the rate of white neighborhoods of comparable median household incomes. Therefore any loss in value is much more devastating.

Are you saying that white people and black people were not offered the same kind of financing even though they had similar backgrounds?

That doesn't sound like America.

Oh wait, yes it does.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are you saying that white people and black people were not offered the same kind of financing even though they had similar backgrounds?

That doesn't sound like America.

Oh wait, yes it does.

Barack solved all that with over a billion in disparate impact fines.

Where did that money go though.....hmmmmm?

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
15 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

One of the most difficult parts of these discussions is the fact that guys like spanky don't realize what they don't know, and are sure that their lack of knowledge of something is proof that it didn't happen. He's utterly unaware of the fact that many prime-grade minority borrowers, who didn't even apply for subprime loans, were nonetheless fraudulently given subprime loans prior to the housing market collapse because those were more valuable to the lenders.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That is very well put.

I've had trouble explaining how it's both easier being a white man, yet not everything is just simply handed to me. 

I mainly don't have to worry about the obstacles of false assumption, nor do I ever have to think twice about how I'm representing my race. A white man born out of the 1% has to work and those starting at the bottom have to work damn hard. Recognizing that it's harder for people of color and women doesn't diminish a white man's own work.

The deliberate misunderstanding of privilege and it's effects are easy indicators that the person deliberately misunderstanding is a racist. Privilege is literally common sense. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

Not really, you get caught with drugs, you go to jail.

Ok, so not "get the dealers off the streets" like you just said, but put EVERY person in possession of drugs in jail.  Brilliant!  You've really thought this through. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Ok, so NOT "get the dealers of the streets" like you just said, but put EVERY person in possession of drugs in jail.  Brilliant!

You work your way up to the big fish man, you’re smarter than this. 

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

One of the most difficult parts of these discussions is the fact that guys like spanky don't realize what they don't know, and are sure that their lack of knowledge of something is proof that it didn't happen. He's utterly unaware of the fact that many prime-grade minority borrowers, who didn't even apply for subprime loans, were nonetheless fraudulently given subprime loans prior to the housing market collapse because those were more valuable to the lenders.

this is very well said. but it won't make a dent in the reasoning of the chrispy's of the world. because he is intentionally being obtuse.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I love it when Chrispy gets called out on something obviously stupid and tries to turn it around like, "Maybe YOU'RE the idiot!"

A post that doesn’t call me a racist, we’re making progress. I’ll win you over eventually.

13 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

There will always be dealers. The problem isn't that we need to lock up even more people than we already have. 

you don't have to deal with the dealers.

let your boyfriend deal with the dealers.

it only gets inconvenient when you want to get high alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

this is very well said. but it won't make a dent in the reasoning of the chrispy's of the world. because he is intentionally being obtuse.

No, I just know patting them on the head and reiterating over and over they’re a victim won’t help them. 

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

of course, no one is taking that position. again, arguing from the absurd to remain obtuse.

Oh, I beg to differ. Have you read any of this thread at all? I’ve lost count of the number of excuses as to why black fathers are absent. None of which make any sense, mind you. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He’s a troll.

Let’s get back to coffee talk....with Linda Richman.

i don't necessarily think so. i have plenty of folks in my life that talk and reason like he does in order to justify their prejudices and bigoted hot takes.

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You want to jail all drug users to get to the drug dealers. 

I want the opioid epidemic to end. Getring the dealers would help, but some of the dealers are physicians. So it’s pretty damn complicated and I don’t have the right answer if I’m being honest. 

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't necessarily think so. i have plenty of folks in my life that talk and reason like he does in order to justify their prejudices and bigoted hot takes.

Bigoted, give me a break. Any hint of personal accountably in the black community postulated by a white man is racist. Which is why none of this will get solved. 

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I want the opioid epidemic to end. Getring the dealers would help, but some of the dealers are physicians. So it’s pretty damn complicated and I don’t have the right answer if I’m being honest. 

Cool.  But you should know that the answer isn't mass imprisonment of citizens.