Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

That’s the point, we’re all screwed up and face adversity every single day. No matter the race or gender, life is a bitch. I’ve scratched and clawed my way to a good life and I’ll be damned before someone tells me I earned it with white privilege. Asking the black community to step up and raise their children in a two parent household is a way to help them achieve greater success, which is the ultimate goal. It’s not scolding, it’s solid advice. Advice they would be smart to incorporate. 

And this is the root of dumb racists everywhere... their deep and profound insecurity.

#sad

Just now, David Dennison said:

Well, some drug users.

Let me take a crack at this. 

They were drug users/dealers because they couldn’t find work. They couldn’t find work because they couldn’t get a secondary education(let’s ignore historically black only colleges) They couldn’t get a secondary education because their parents weren’t offered home loan.  They weren’t offered home loans because of racist policies set by racist politicians.   

I think I got it now. 

It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when you are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.
And now those advantages the federal government bestowed on white people get compounded by the ability to live in neighborhoods that aren't policed to the point that youthful misdeeds get turned into life altering anchors. They live in neighborhoods where even if you were average in school the baseline level of your school will make college realistic when you finally get your act together. And the community you live in are destinations of commerce where small businesses can thrive and life is relatively stable.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

They were drug users/dealers because they couldn’t find work. They couldn’t find work because they couldn’t get a secondary education(let’s ignore historically black only colleges) They couldn’t get a secondary education because their parents weren’t offered home loan.  They weren’t offered home loans because of racist policies set by racist politicians.   

I think I got it now. 

Yes.

i find it somewhat amazing that in a thread with the OP of two black dudes getting run downtown for basically no reason, people are arguing that racism is not a real mitigating factor in the lives of black people. i'm surprised some of yall don't have the stars and bars as avatars.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

That’s the point, we’re all screwed up and face adversity every single day. No matter the race or gender, life is a bitch. I’ve scratched and clawed my way to a good life and I’ll be damned before someone tells me I earned it with white privilege. Asking the black community to step up and raise their children in a two parent household is a way to help them achieve greater success, which is the ultimate goal. It’s not scolding, it’s solid advice. Advice they would be smart to incorporate. 

And this is where you have a disconnect with the black community. Newsflash, rap  music with thug looking black guys saying "we don't love them hoes" is false. Snoop Dogg has been married to his wife for 21 years. Dr Dre has been married to his wide for 22 years. Ice Cube has been married to his wife for 26 years.

Black people are out here trying bro. We have the same problems in relationships that white people do, and the number two reason for breakups is financial strain. So when an entire race of people is on a lower socio-ecenomic level it stands to reason that the level of broken homes would be higher. Pressure busts pipes. When money gets short and lifelong dreams are crumbling, arguments go up and relationships fold. Doesn't matter the gender, race, or country of origin that holds true.

While certainly not disagreeing with you that it was nothing short of a travesty, what are your thoughts on how black home ownership has improved anything? “Gentrification” and saying a neighborhood has “turned” wouldn’t be real things with adverse impacts on the real estate market if the measurable progress was substantial.
Black homeownership rates still haven't made a comeback from the 2008/9 credit crisis.

i find it somewhat amazing that in a thread with the OP of two black dudes getting run downtown for basically no reason, people are arguing that racism is not a real mitigating factor in the lives of black people. i'm surprised some of yall don't have the stars and bars as avatars.
No kidding. Maybe they should ask their black friend what it's like?

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not at all irrelevant. Wealth is primarily generational and social and economic mobility are far more constrained than popularly conceived. Immigrant populations will do better the more money they have coming in and the stronger connections they have to their homeland. Race is the irrelevant factor.

Black Americans, when slave-descended, have none of the built-in advantages of even the poorest of immigrant classes.

The populations that have had the most stolen from them would logically be the ones doing the worst and if we look at America right now, slave-descended blacks and Native American populations are showing the signs of centuries of systemic oppression.

Bitch-ass sarcasm. Always with the bitch-ass sarcasm.

No, that's not what "often" means. Christ you're dumb.

Says noted child psychologist, Racist Idiot.

In what sense is anyone here taking responsibility or accountability away from American blacks? Should white Americans not analyze the impact of white power and white racism in America?

I am not saying black Americans should or should not do anything.

Cite your sources.

The poor Nigerians are performing just as well, so err, try again. 

Often means frequent. He was saying that hard work is frequently mitigated and that’s utter nonsense.

Please tell me you didn’t procreate. 

11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Next thing you are going to tell us is to get an education, a job and save money.  So racist. 

Nigerians that make it to the US are the elite of the elite from that country.  They did well back home and do better here due to opportunity.  I am friends with a family from Nigeria.  He is Oxford educated and a senior executive at a large company.
But rest assured the vast, vast, vast majority of the population in Nigeria is far more fucked up than American blacks.  How many kids born out of wedlock over there is impossible to determine as 70% of the kids aren't even registered as being born.  They have no birth certificate and in legal terms, they do not exist.
Lol where do you come up with this bullshit? I see you're still on your genetic disadvantage jaunt.

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, David Dennison said:
It's hard to take responsibility for yourself and your family when you are not afforded the same opportunities. One of the biggest drivers of inequality in this country is the inability to create wealth through homeownership. Black people were largely kept out of the home finance market for decades while white America, with the help of the federal government, benefited from a deluge of subsidized mortgages. It is a sad fact of history that black people in this country were denied the opportunity to create the type of generational wealth that white people take for granted.

And now those advantages the federal government bestowed on white people get compounded by the ability to live in neighborhoods that aren't policed to the point that youthful misdeeds get turned into life altering anchors. They live in neighborhoods where even if you were average in school the baseline level of your school will make college realistic when you finally get your act together. And the community you live in are destinations of commerce where small businesses can thrive and life is relatively stable.

This is exactly what I mean!

Y’all are dumb arguing back and forth with BT and DD 
The answer is whites have ruined the chances for the black community forever. There’s no fixing it. Any and all problems lie at the feet of your ancestors (if you’re white) and nothing can or will fix it going forward.  All whites came to America rich, and is the only reason their current generations have made it  Exact opposite applies for anyone blessed with some pigment  
This doesn’t stop for American blacks, but anyone who is darker than your run of the mill Hispanic. Except Asians, they don’t count - their success is an outlier.  Same goes for Snacks, Mizzou, or other educated AA that frequent this site Also outliers, probably had white ancestors  

when did Mizzou become black

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Starting on second base thinking you hit a double.

#wypipo

Boy, I wish it was that simple. No, problems are only unique to other races. White males (well mostly white in my case) are not entitled to them. Oh well, I won the game of life and damn it feels good. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Chrispy said:
Yes, whites built the railroads and the Japanese were never put in concentration camps. Read a damn history book. Our education system has failed so many. 

I'm sure those 4 years in internment camps had generational impact.

And the railroads? The Vietnam refugees? Man, do you live in the US? 

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I think I got it now. 

No. I personally have two uncles. One on my mom's side and one on my dad's side. Both of those uncle's got huge sentences for getting caught smoking crack. One was a firefighter. One was making good money working for GM. Both lost everything, and due to the felonies that came with it, were never able to return to their former glory. One has since died(not from drugs). The other is just doing anything he can to try and keep his head above water. Neither was selling drugs, but both lost their lives for a reason that could've solved by getting them help. Both were married with two kids at the time.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Poor Nigerians do not have the means or education to come here and stay here. You're not a smart person. You're embarrassing my race.

Wait... are you Irish?

I work with some, they send money home, so you’re wrong. Sorry.

Be honest about the War on Drugs.  The biggest proponents on tough mandatory sentences for crack were blacks lawmakers and leaders in the black communities.  Which makes some sense.  Crack hit that community like a freight train and scared the fuck out those in it.  It turned out to be wrong, but I do not believe it was racist.  Unless you think the CBC was racist.
They asked for a little more than the stick. Somehow people like you always leave that out when making this point.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No. I personally have two uncles. One on my mom's side and one on my dad's side. Both of those uncle's got huge sentences for getting caught smoking crack. One was a firefighter. One was making good money working for GM. Both lost everything, and due to the felonies that came with it, were never able to return to their former glory. One has since died(not from drugs). The other is just doing anything he can to try and keep his head above water. Neither was selling drugs, but both lost their lives for a reason that could've solved by getting them help. Both were married with two kids at the time.

Fuuuuuck. 

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And this is where you have a disconnect with the black community. Newsflash, rap  music with thug looking black guys saying "we don't love them hoes" is false. Snoop Dogg has been married to his wife for 21 years. Dr Dre has been married to his wide for 22 years. Ice Cube has been married to his wife for 26 years.

Black people are out here trying bro. We have the same problems in relationships that white people do, and the number two reason for breakups is financial strain. So when an entire race of people is on a lower socio-ecenomic level it stands to reason that the level of broken homes would be higher. Pressure busts pipes. When money gets short and lifelong dreams are crumbling, arguments go up and relationships fold. Doesn't matter the gender, race, or country of origin that holds true.

Everybody faces these issues, that’s the point. I’m not sure you read what I wrote. Raising your children in a two parent household is essential for the success of any community. It’s that simple, advocating for that is a good thing.  

5 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I work with some, they send money home, so you’re wrong. Sorry.

Them sending money home is evidence that they come from the poor class in Nigeria? torbush

Nigerian immigrants come from educated families with the means necessary to go through the immigration process, actually send family members to America, and fund their early days in the USA.

That's how this shit works.

Everybody faces these issues, that’s the point. 

No, they don't.

Edited by bad_teammate

I think about all the stupid shit my friends and I did in high school and college, and our run-ins with the police. Not once did a single person get arrested.  Can only imagine how different our lives would've been if we were black and law enforcement threw the book at us. 

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:
Nigerians that make it to the US are the elite of the elite from that country.  They did well back home and do better here due to opportunity.  I am friends with a family from Nigeria.  He is Oxford educated and a senior executive at a large company.
But rest assured the vast, vast, vast majority of the population in Nigeria is far more fucked up than American blacks.  How many kids born out of wedlock over there is impossible to determine as 70% of the kids aren't even registered as being born.  They have no birth certificate and in legal terms, they do not exist.

Lol where do you come up with this bullshit? I see you're still on your genetic disadvantage jaunt.

What part do you disagree with?

That blacks in America are better off than blacks in Nigeria?

Or that it is their elite that immigrate to the USA?  They can't just jump the fucking border to get here.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Them sending money home is evidence that they come from the poor class in Nigeria? torbush

Nigerian immigrants come from educated families with the means necessary to go through the immigration process, actually send family members to America, and fund their early days in the USA.

That's how this shit works.

No, they don't.

Yes, them telling me the conditions they left is why they work so diligently. You’re making stuff up now. 

Yes, we all face hardships. It’s hip to say white people don’t, but nonetheless untrue. 

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

White men who have to work less than anyone else to obtain and achieve more than anyone else bitching that minorities simply don't work hard enough isn't racist at all.

That is very well put.

I've had trouble explaining how it's both easier being a white man, yet not everything is just simply handed to me. 

I mainly don't have to worry about the obstacles of false assumption, nor do I ever have to think twice about how I'm representing my race. A white man born out of the 1% has to work and those starting at the bottom have to work damn hard. Recognizing that it's harder for people of color and women doesn't diminish a white man's own work.

I think about all the stupid shit my friends and I did in high school and college, and our run-ins with the police. Not once did a single person get arrested.  Can only imagine how different our lives would've been if we were black and law enforcement threw the book at us. 

Someone in this very thread talked about working as a public defender and running into loads and loads of black and brown kids who's lives were effectively ruined for things that would've gotten him a ride HOME from the police.

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

Yes, them telling me the conditions they left is why they work so diligently. You’re making stuff up now. 

Yes, we all face hardships. It’s hip to say white people don’t, but nonetheless untrue. 

Yes, we all face hardships. But white people as a group do not suffer anywhere close to same hardships suffered by blacks as a group.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yes, let’s compare high school tomfoolery to smoking crack. Jesus.

Or that it is their elite that immigrate to the USA?  They can't just jump the fucking border to get here.

This ridiculous Nigerian illegitimacy rate you pulled out of your ass when in the very same post you claimed records aren't kept.

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Everybody faces these issues, that’s the point. I’m not sure you read what I wrote. Raising your children in a two parent household is essential for the success of any community. It’s that simple, advocating for that is a good thing.  

Everybody DOES face these issues. Which is why I am telling you it takes more than 54 years for an entire race of people that previously didn't have equal rights to pull itself up by the bootstraps. The pressure is enormous. You have no idea. There are no parents to borrow from when you make a bad financial decisions. Setbacks last years, not days or months. "Let me try drugs during my teen/college years" turns into life altering decisions, not simply a slap on the wrist and send you back to mommy and daddy to straighten you out.

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Yes, let’s compare high school tomfoolery to smoking crack. Jesus.

So driving while intoxicated (not me, was with a friend), kicking cop cars and threatening to kick a cop's ass(not me, with a friend),  and carrying marijuana (guilty) in high school is "tomfoolery"?   Luckily, the cops that stopped us all agreed and let us go. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Some of that high school tomfoolery for white kids included smoking crack. 

I know a lot of white kids who did coke and popped pills. All of them eventually got their shit together and went on about life.

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I’m sorry to hear about your uncles. It seems your issue is with punishing criminals, white, Black or other?  

Drug users, poors, and the less educated have it hard in this world, shocking I know  

Serious question - why is there not more black police officers. It seems it would make it tremendously harder to be a racist (white)  cop if 50% of your peers were of that race. It’s govt work so not like you can really be descrininated against during the hiring process. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So driving while intoxicated (not me, was with a friend), kicking cop cars and threatening to kick a cop's ass(not me, with a friend),  and carrying marijuana (guilty) in high school is "tomfoolery"?   Luckily, the cops that stopped us all agreed. 

When white kids get caught doing these things, they tend to be treated as youthful shenanigans. When black kids get caught doing these things, they tend to get arrested.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So driving while intoxicated (not me, was with a friend), kicking cop cars and threatening to kick a cop's ass(not me, with a friend),  and carrying marijuana (guilty) in high school is "tomfoolery"?   Luckily, the cops that stopped us all agreed and let us go. 

Yeah, I saw a lot of that. I saw zero crack, that was in another stratosphere. 

I wouldn't say it's only the elite who get here. Nigerians who make it here span the spectrum across all economic demographics. Help extends out from families and entire communities that can make up the gap. The problem wth Nigeria is extensive gift that essentially leaves no middle class. There's absurdly rich, poor, and poorer.

23 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:
While certainly not disagreeing with you that it was nothing short of a travesty, what are your thoughts on how black home ownership has improved anything? “Gentrification” and saying a neighborhood has “turned” wouldn’t be real things with adverse impacts on the real estate market if the measurable progress was substantial.

Black homeownership rates still haven't made a comeback from the 2008/9 credit crisis.

What ethnic group had the most foreclosures as a result of taking on loans for terms that they couldn't possibly meet? The answer? Depends on how you want to skew the stats. Latinos had 335,950 homes foreclosed on and blacks had 240,020. If you take that as a percentage of the population as a whole, it takes on a whole other dynamic. 

Why do you think that is? Why are Asians/Indians not affected? Why weren't more Hispanics affected despite having a higher percentage of homeownership but a lower average wage? (Again, bullshit stats because migrant workers drag down Latinos, but it furthers my argument) There are more poor white people in the U.S. than there are poor black people. Yet, the numbers aren't remotely comparable with regards to how many of each race had their house foreclosed on. What's the conspiracy there?

7 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Yeah, I saw a lot of that. I saw zero crack, that was in another stratosphere. 

Crack is just cocaine.  White people targeted black people for their use of crack and made it seem like it was much more dangerous and scary.

The majority of my friends were popping pills and doing cocaine in the Paradise bathroom in college.  But pills and coke are attached to white people, so no biggie.  Just part of growing up!

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

What ethnic group had the most foreclosures as a result of taking on loans for terms that they couldn't possibly meet? The answer? Depends on how you want to skew the stats. Latinos had 335,950 homes foreclosed on and blacks had 240,020. If you take that as a percentage of the population as a whole, it takes on a whole other dynamic. 

Why do you think that is? Why are Asians/Indians not affected? Why weren't more Hispanics affected despite having a higher percentage of homeownership but a lower average wage? (Again, bullshit stats because migrant workers drag down Latinos, but it furthers my argument) There are more poor white people in the U.S. than there are poor black people. Yet, the numbers aren't remotely comparable with regards to how many of each race had their house foreclosed on. What's the conspiracy there?

That black people suffer disproportionately compared to white people isn't a conspiracy. It's a fact.