Personal finance hacks (credit cards)

On 1/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, Parliament said:

Welp, I'm just about done with Chase Bank for my credit card.  I got hacked a month ago and they set up a new account.  No problem there, but the rolled all my autobilling to it; including an old subscription I had cancelled.  I disputed the charge and might(?) get my $31.38 back, and it might take 2 months.

So screw those guys.  I want a simple, easy, no-frill credit card that works with zero drama, from a provider who isn't an ahole.  Who you got?

Local credit union?

RBFCU 2% unlimited cash back card has been worry free for years. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Credit cards (Visa, MC) never help you as much as Amex when it comes to disputes. You can def dispute and win disputes with visa or mc but in my experience they put more ownership on you proving that you don't owe. 

I've started using a new Amex card due to a solid promo but still rely on my BoA card for restaurants and gas for >5% back.

I love the Cap One Venture X card.  I got $300 back on a booked trip to London.  Yearly fee is $395.   Plus they are paying $100 for my Global Entry re-up.   Already free for the year, and they have the free access for you and a guest to Priority Pass airport lounges - and a few new Capital One lounges as well.   

Not as flexible a limit as my gold AE, but 30K on X card is more than I need.  I would get that instead of the platinum AE and the near $800 yearly fee.  (The gold AE has better points for dining.  I don’t fly that much, so no need for platinum.)

The Venture X also gives me 10x hotel charges if booked through CapOne - and is a great poor man’s option to the Platinum AE

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, Gatorubet said:

I love the Cap One Venture X card.  

It's my favorite right now.  You can actually take at least 3 guests into Priority Pass lounges. I've done that multiple times.  If your wife/kids have a card on the same account, they can get their own free Priority Pass account also.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:40 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Credit cards (Visa, MC) never help you as much as Amex when it comes to disputes. You can def dispute and win disputes with visa or mc but in my experience they put more ownership on you proving that you don't owe. 

I've started using a new Amex card due to a solid promo but still rely on my BoA card for restaurants and gas for >5% back.

As a SMB owner I agree with this.  It sucks for owners because even when the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the SMB, AE will often side with the cardholder then hit us with a fee on top of the lost revenue.  I no longer accept AE due to their practices.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, Apep said:

At the end of May, I got a new business credit card from Wells Fargo. Before the card had even arrived, there were fraudulent Amazon charges on it. (Looked like the monthly payment for a personal Prime account.) It was a brand new card, so it wasn't a case of my payment info getting updated. Really freaked me out. Then I looked it up and it seems like this is a common problem with WF, though they were supposed to have stopped it in 2018. My simplistic hack is that I use the card for operating expenses, get shitty cash back rewards, and pay it off each month with EIDL money, which is sitting in a separate account drawing shitty interest.

That happened to me with a BOA card many years ago. Ended up just cancelling the account altogether instead of getting another card.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, Neonmoon said:

What’s the best credit card for a small business?

Not sure if we are SMB but got the Cap One business card. 2% unlimited cash back was key. The limit on the card is garbage. I think we spend $2m a month on it but only have a $250k credit limit. We have been unable to increase it for years but that 2% cash back makes it worth it for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Seemed like the best thread for this. What was MobilOil credit union is now Rave Financial.  I can get a 1% balance transfer that has a 5.9% interest rate on it forever. So less up front, and lower interest on something I plan on taking a while to pay off than the ones that go to 18-30% after 12 or 21 months. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good balance transfer card?  Maybe I’m thinking of it wrong and bouncing a long term debt around at 3% every 12-21 months is better than my 5.9% interest. Any unicorns that are 0-1% transfer fee and no interest for a 21 months and still low after that?

• Hook 'Em 3

Be careful with 0% offers. Know the details and rules. One late payment or fail to pay off every cent at the end, can cause all of the accrued interest to apply.

had a friend who took out $40k cash advance in the early 00s. This was when the cash advance fee was capped. Bad idea by the cc companies. He placed the funds in high interest savings. Was making decent arbitrage especially given his salary. But decided to buy himself a few nice things. Ultimately he avoided interest or more fees but he had to scramble to pay it off.