EPL 2017-2018

sidis

24 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Think you'll keep Hughes? He was a big reason Stoke went down this year. 

I do. The players clearly responded to him and i think we need a bit of stability going into next season. The goal next year is to avoid this relegation drama and look to finish solidly mid-table (48 to 52 points).

The ambition of being a club that can compete for a top 6 finish every year is clearly fraught with danger, as the margins are very fine. The club made a lot of risky (albeit ambitious) moves in the last year that obviously did not pan out.

1. Sacking Puel
  2. Hiring Pellegrino
  3. playing hardball with VvD
  4. chasing European starlets like Lemina and Boufal
  5. winter transfer acquisition (record signing) on an Italian Striker - who in the end wasn't even on the bench during the final stretch.

Put the club on the brink of Relegation, instead of on the brink of Top 6. Time for steady and solid. I would imagine Hughes will get a contract offer.

So I was looking at the table yesterday, and noticed only the top 6 have positive or even goal differential.  It made me curious, so I looked up the last time so few teams shared that stat.  You have to go back to the 98/99 season before 6 teams or less had even or positive GD at the end of the season.  Every other season has had at least 7, and most had 8 or 9.

Obviously if Burnley win their last game by 2 goals or more, this season would look less like an outlier.

19 minutes ago, drt said:

So I was looking at the table yesterday, and noticed only the top 6 have positive or even goal differential.  It made me curious, so I looked up the last time so few teams shared that stat.  You have to go back to the 98/99 season before 6 teams or less had even or positive GD at the end of the season.  Every other season has had at least 7, and most had 8 or 9.

Obviously if Burnley win their last game by 2 goals or more, this season would look less like an outlier.

the top 6 have superior goalkeeping/defenders and superior offensive playmakers. It really is two leagues.

The 6th place team has scored twice as many goals as the 7th place team. (72 goals vs. 35 goals)

But even then, look how much further down the goal scoring charts they are. No team in the top 6 has scored fewer than 60 goals (Chelsea) and are combined averaging 75 goals. Even if you take out ManCity's ridiculous total, that only drops to 69.6.

No team outside the top 6 has scored 50 goals and even if you take the next 6 scoring teams, the average is only 44.5 goals.

It is a tale of two leagues.

Edited by Captain Ron

On 5/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, yoladu said:

Southampton's preparations for relegation showdown with Swansea disrupted after Marriott hotel cancels booking at short notice due to 'virus'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/07/southamptons-preparations-relegation-showdown-swansea-disrupted/

well played Swansea, well played.

The follow ups to this were pretty good:

After the game ...

• Like 2