EPL 2017-2018

sidis

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/6829/Stages/15151/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

Salah is a close 3rd.

He who shall not be at the World Cup can be found on page 14 at 133.

The fact that Aguero is #2 should tell you everything about that table.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/6829/Stages/15151/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

Salah is a close 3rd.

He who shall not be at the World Cup can be found on page 14 at 133.

Lol. I’m not sure Eden Hazard’s parents would agree with those “rankings”

On 4/21/2018 at 1:14 PM, yoladu said:

the Stadium of Light is the 8th largest stadium in England at 48,707. What kind of crowds would they get for League One games?

edit : Just read on Wiki that  the upper tiers will be closed during the 2018/2019 season. Jesus.. someone is taking a bath.

So today it was announced that Sunderland are selling the land that housed their previous training center. The agreement states that the transfer of money is to go directly to Security Benefit Corporation (the bank Sunderland owe millions to). Doesn’t sound great for their finances.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2018/4/25/17279210/sunderland-set-to-sell-the-charlie-hurley-centre-but-with-bank-involved-will-we-see-the-income

Interesting quotes from Wenger this morning ahead of his Europa League tie. Said it wasn't his decision for him to leave now and that'll he'll definitely work again. I didn't see the press conference, but from what I've read, it sounds like he's bitter. 

2 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Interesting quotes from Wenger this morning ahead of his Europa League tie. Said it wasn't his decision for him to leave now and that'll he'll definitely work again. I didn't see the press conference, but from what I've read, it sounds like he's bitter. 

On one hand, I think people forget how much he's done for AFC. On the other hand, he's been stubborn to change and should have announced he was leaving a year ago. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

They win and stay alive for a while.

Soton with a huge save at the end of the game to save their win.

those last 5 minutes were excruciating. 

HUGE win! A small window has cracked open.. it's going to take 6 more points though.

Could catch Swansea. We have a huge 6 pointer against them in a week a half.

Could catch Huddersfield. There last 3 matches are City (a), Chelsea (a), and Arsenal (h)

Before the Swansea Loss:

cT51TTeQ_o.png

After:

5k7FR7fo_o.png

It's not a huge move, but it's something. What's wild is that before the games today Southampton was almost 80% to go down, but now this.

And while Chelsea has gotten to within 2 points of Spurs, their wins are actually impacting Liverpool more, that 6 pointer next week will be huge.

B8TEt2m6_o.png

down in the 2nd tier, everyone has 1 game remaining a week from tomorrow; today's big picture from results:

at the top things really shook out.

middlesbrough clinched their playoff spot 2-0 over millwall who now have only a cosmic miracle shot at the playoff

already-playoff-clinched-villa drew 1-1 with derby (+19) who needed 3 to clinch a playoff spot

preston (+10) beat the blades to move up and remain the only other real competitor to derby (+19)

millwall (+10) would need to win their last game while both preston and derby lose, and millwall would have to make up 9 goals on preston

wolves 99

cardiff 89

-------------

fulham 88

villa 83

---

middlesbrough 75

derby 72

---

pne 70

millwall 69

pne's win kept them in with a chance for the last playoff place, while their win over the blades, in killing sheffield united's season, guarantees the Steel City Derby will play on in 2019.  it's one that's on my bucket list.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_City_derby

the brentford bees failed in their quest to give us the best T5-premaccess in history with their 0-2 loss to barnsley who desperately needed the 3 down in the rele-scrum

bristol drew with done/bored forest to round out the trio of playoff pretenders falling short on matchday 45

down at the bottom it's a mess where Barnsley, Birmingham, Bolton, Burton and Reading are all on the plank

both Barnsley @ Derby need 3 as Derby will have to play open to win unless/until the pne & millwall results reach some degree of early conclusion

again both need 3 where Birmingham host fighting for guaranteed promotion Fulham

Bolton host done/bored forest

AGAIN both need 3 with Burton Albion @ PNE who need Albion's relegation rival Barnsley to trip Derby so PNE can grab the last playoff place

AND AGAIN both need 3 with Reading @ Cardiff who need Reading's relegation rival Birmingham to trip Fulham so Cardiff can hold on to the last guaranteed promotion place

that's 6 simultaneous fixtures with 12 teams where everyone needs 3 points except Forest, and where in 2 of the games the fortunes of each pair at the top and bottom have anti-podal harmonization.  wowza.

nbc should have be using their networks to show all of these games which kick off at 0730e/0630c here in the US

16 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

lol. 

They were absolutely awful today. They had some giveaways that lead to easy runs for City. If not for a horri-bad offsides missed, that's a clean sheet for City.

Not that City wasn't clinical out there. But West Ham made it a lot easier for them.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:00 AM, Schulz2.0 said:

So today it was announced that Sunderland are selling the land that housed their previous training center. The agreement states that the transfer of money is to go directly to Security Benefit Corporation (the bank Sunderland owe millions to). Doesn’t sound great for their finances.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2018/4/25/17279210/sunderland-set-to-sell-the-charlie-hurley-centre-but-with-bank-involved-will-we-see-the-income

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/04/29/american-owner-short-writes-off-sunderland-debt-sells-club/

American owner Short writes off Sunderland debt, sells club

By Nicholas MendolaApr 29, 2018, 10:25 AM EDT

Turn and face the strain, ch-ch-changes.

Relegated in consecutive seasons, troubled club Sunderland announced the departure of manager Chris Coleman on Sunday.

Minutes later, it announced a change in ownership, hopefully solving a club crisis.

Embattled American owner Ellis Short is leaving the Northeast England club now headed to League One on the heels of a 20th place finish in the Football League Championship.

Short has sold the team to Stewart Donald, and says he has paid off the debts of the club while rejecting higher paying offers in favor of the best one for the direction of Sunderland.

For all the rough times and damage done to the club, those are class gestures. Here is Short’s statement, via the Sunderland site:

“It is no secret that I have been trying to sell Sunderland, but I have waited until the right group came along that have the experience, finances and plan to take this great club back to where it deserves to be.

“Overall, my chairmanship has not gone the way I would have wished; the many high points of a decade in the Premier League have been overshadowed by the low points of the last two terrible seasons. I was therefore determined to ensure that I leave Sunderland in the best possible hands and in the best possible state to turn the corner. To achieve this, higher offers from less qualified buyers were rejected, and I have paid off all debts owed by the club to leave it financially strong and debt free for the first time since years before I owned it.”

“Assuming that Stewart and his group win EFL approval, it only remains for me to wish them, and all associated with the club, the very best for the future. I will be a Sunderland fan for life, and hope to return as a fan to watch them climb back to where they belong.”

Donald will be the new owner, once approved by the English Football League, and will relinquish control of the current club he owns: Eastleigh FC. The Chronicle says he also has a stake in Oxford United of League One.

Donald has experience with righting a debt-ridden ship, having done the trick at Eastleigh. He hopes that serves him well:

“Eastleigh and Oxford are different cases to each other and, of course, smaller than Sunderland. The similarity, though, is that there is also a lot that needs to be addressed here, and it needs to be addressed with realism, focus and dedication. For a club with one of the best fanbases, stadium and academies in the UK to find itself in League One is unacceptable.

“We have a carefully thought-through plan to restructure the club, make it sustainable and, with the help of the fans, to restore its sense of pride and re-connect it with the local community. In short, we are rolling our sleeves up to do what needs to be done to ready this club to start competing again.”

Good luck to Sunderland. It’s been a brutal run, as it was just two years ago fans were flying banners over Newcastle’s stadium when the rivals were relegated.

Unbeaten Fulham loan star Aleksandar Mitrovic on the 'winning mentality' fuelling Premier League push

Sixteen games into his loan spell and Aleksandar Mitrovic is still yet to taste defeat. Keep that streak alive for the next month and, whether by the play-offs or league finish, Fulham will be a Premier League team.

If that does indeed transpire Mitrovic must go down as one of the most decisive pieces of transfer business in English football this season. For the cost of a loan fee and six months of wages Fulham will reap the £170million-plus rewards of life on England’s top table.

Though Mitrovic was not the only piece of astute January business spearheaded by Slavisa Jokanovic, who also acquired full-backs Matt Targett and Cyrus Christie, he has been the most decisive.

Mitrovic’s winner in a nervy 2-1 victory over already relegated Sunderland was his 12th goal since arriving at Craven Cottage and ensured that Fulham’s unbeaten run in the Championship hit 23 games whilst safeguarding the Serbian’s hot streak.

“I haven’t lost and I hope I won’t,” Mitrovic said. “Hopefully we only have one game left and we win that as well.

“This team have a winning mentality, to not lose 23 games in a row you have to show character, mentality, a good relation between the players on and off the pitch.”

Since Jokanovic’s appointment Fulham have played some of the best football in the second tier, their midfield of Kevin McDonald, Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen able to pass opponents into submission on a weekly basis.

What they haven’t consistently had is anyone to ensure their dominance is reflected on the scoresheet, with too much of a goalscoring burden placed on the brilliant shoulders of 17-year-old Ryan Sessegnon.

But just as Mitrovic has been good for Fulham so have Fulham been good for Mitrovic.

“Yeah I score goals but the team is doing well so it’s much easier for me when they create chances and play for me,” he says. “When they get close to the goal every player looking for me. 

“That’s our style, our tactic: to try to find me. Any striker would enjoy playing in that system.” Fulham were a long way from their best on Friday night, shocked by the fighting spirit Sunderland showed in a game where all they could do was spoil the Cottagers’ party. Joel Asoro’s strike was cancelled out by Lucas Piazon but the hosts struggled to get Mitrovic into the game in the first period.

That changed after half-time and after a snap shot from outside the box had been well saved Mitrovic pounced on his second chance, rising highest to meet Stefan Johansen’s free-kick and head home a winner that ratchets up the pressure on Cardiff, who must win at Hull on Saturday to stay in the drivers’ seat on the final day of the Championship season.

“In this style as a striker I know I will get one or two chances but I don’t think much about other things. When my chance came I was ready.”

Mitrovic is hoping he has played his final game of the season at Craven Cottage but his Fulham career could last much longer than the remainder of the campaign.

On the full-time lap of appreciation Mitrovic made a point of thumping the Fulham badge as the home fans serenaded their hero.

“We’ll see what happens,” Mitrovic said of a return next season, though it is clear he wants to stay. 

“I’m really happy, thankful to the fans, the staff, the players. Since the beginning I’ve really enjoyed it here. I don’t know to thank them for all the kind words that I get, all the support from the fans, staff and every person who works in the club,

“We deserve to be in the top two but we will see what happens.”

21 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Yeah, pretty huge for them to get new ownership and clear their debts. They still need to move a decent number of high earners to be in a good financial position.