2020 Texas Football Season Thread: Win or GTFO

texifornia

Have fun with this Surly...  

Big 12 ChampIonship Game Qualifier Tiebreaker Procedures

Tiebreaker Procedures

Effective July 2017
Conference Competition.  All teams will be scheduled to play nine games as part of the Conference schedule competing in a round-robin format.  

Championship Game Participants. The two teams that complete the regular season with the highest winning percentage(s) will be the representatives in the Conference Championship Game.  The team that wins the championship game will be the Big 12 Champion.

Tiebreaker Procedure. If two teams are tied for first place both teams will participate in the championship game and the winner of the head-to-head will be the #1 seed.  If more than two teams tie for first place, the tiebreaker procedures below will be applied separately, to identify each participant in the championship game.

In the event two (or more teams) tie for second or any subsequent position, the tiebreaker procedures below will be used to break all ties as necessary.  For the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process:
a.    If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular-season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
b.    If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made.  If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the regular season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
     1.    The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against each other in a “mini round-robin” format.
     2.    The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
            standings from top to bottom.
            a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
            competition before the comparison begins.
            b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
                tied teams as a group will be used.
     3.    Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
             allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.
     4.    Draw (In the event steps 1-3 cannot break a multi-team tie the prevailing team or teams will be determined by draw at the
            Conference office). 
             In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determining any portion of seeding,
             the following procedures will be used:
            a. The draw will be conducted in public or with media attendance.
            b. Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.
            c. A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order
            of seeding from highest to lowest.

In the event that scheduled regular season contests cannot be played as originally scheduled, every effort shall be made to reschedule such a contest at the earliest possible date, provided that such rescheduling does not interfere with classes, examination periods, NCAA rules, or other sports prohibitions. If contests cannot be rescheduled and in the event of a first-place tie, the Conference tiebreaker system will be utilized to determine championship game participants or a Conference Champion.

Unbalanced Tie-Break Procedures to Determine Conference Championship Game Participants

In order for teams to be considered in a tie-break scenario to compete in the Big 12 Football Championship Game, teams must play no less than one fewer conference games than the average number of conference games played by all conference teams (rounded up/down at .50). For example, if the average number of conference games played in the 2020 season is 8.25 (value of 8 when rounded down) a team would be eligible to play in the Championship Game if that team played 7 conference games.

The Championship Game participants will be determined by the best winning percentages within the conference. In the event of an unbalanced schedule where there is a tie for the best, or second best, record in the loss column, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage as long as the required number of conference games were completed. If the teams remain tied, the following procedures will be applied to determine the Big 12 Championship Game representatives:

Two-Team Tie.
1.   Record against the next highest placed team in the conference standings (Based on winning percentage in all games played within the conference), proceeding down the standings.  Two-way win percentage ties down the standings will be broken by head-to-head results.  Absent head-to-head results or if more than two teams are tied in the standings with the same win percentages, results against those teams will be considered collectively.
2.   Record in common conference games.
3.   Cumulative winning percentage of each tied team’s conference opponents.
4.   Highest ranking by the CFP Poll following the last weekend of regular-season games.
5.   Draw.

In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determining
any portion of seeding, the following procedures will be used:

The draw will be conducted virtually, in public or with media attendance.

Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to participate virtually or have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.

A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order of seeding from highest to lowest.

Multiple-Team Ties.
The following procedures will only be used to eliminate all but two teams, at which point the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.
1.   Head-to-head (best record in games among the tied teams).
2.   Record against the next highest placed team in the conference standings (Based on winning percentage in all games played within the conference), proceeding down the standings.  Two-way win percentage ties down the standings will be broken by head-to-head results.  Absent head-to-head results or if more than two teams are tied in the standings with the same win percentages, results against those teams will be considered collectively.
3.   Record in common conference games.
4.   Cumulative winning percentage of each tied team’s conference opponents.
5.   Highest ranking by the CFP Poll following the last weekend of regular-season games.

Example 1
(Average number of conference games played is 8.25 (rounded down to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)

Team A: 8-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 7-1 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 6-1 (win over Team B)

Teams B and C have both played the required number of conference games in this scenario (7).

Team C has the same number of losses as Team B and has a win over Team B.

Team C would be the second participant in the Championship Game due to the head-to-head win over Team B.

Example 2
(Average number of conference games played is 8.25 (rounded down to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)

Team A: 7-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 6-2 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 4-2 (win over Team B)

Team C has not played the required number of conference games (7), thus would not be eligible to participate in the Championship Game despite the same number of losses and a win over Team B.

Example 3
(Average number of conference games played is 7.50 (rounded up to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)
Team A: 8-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 6-2 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 5-2 (win over Team B)

Teams B and C have both played the required number of conference games in this scenario (7).

Team C has the same number of losses as Team B and has a win over Team B.

Team C would be the second participant in the Championship Game due to the head-to-head win over Team B.

https://big12sports.com/news/2008/7/31/1546006.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan

On 11/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, LTtxfan said:

Looks like TEXAS will probably play West Virginia Moonshiners at 11am next Saturday.  Longhorns sure don't seem to play well in early game...

Any idea what the HORNS record under Mensa is for 11am games??

5 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Curious about this stat. Anyone know?

5-7

OU weighs heavily here since he's played them at 11am 4 out of 5 times. Also it was an even 5-5 before this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

2nd torn acl for buj?

No... first acl injury at TEXAS

"In the eighth game of the 2019 season, Bujcevski suffered a collarbone injury in a 37-27 loss to TCU, which put him on the shelf until he was able to make his return for the team’s Alamo Bowl win over Utah to wrap up an 8-5 campaign." (Jeff Howe)

On 11/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, LTtxfan said:

That season was so cathartic and dare I say at times magical despite not being perfect. Not trying to be aggy about it, as it won't be celebrated in the annals of TFB history, and it shouldn't, but it was a very important season for me as a fan. 

I was at the OU game that year, the TCU game where we finally beat their ass for a change, and the Sugar Bowl. Those highs were like shots of morphine for a dejected fanbase that had been cheering on a largely listless program for the past 9 years. I watched the USC game with 2 Trojan fan college buddies - one of whom stood up to leave in disgust midway through the 3rd quarter. On my birthday I followed the Baylor game on ESPN from a wedding - thankful that we were able to hold on so I could get shithammered after that without a worry in the world. I watched Okie Lite beat WVU and punch Texas' ticket to the CCG from a girl I had been sleeping with's apartment, and felt a sense of excitement and hope for the future like I was watching Texas edge out a top 10 non-con opponent to open the season. I don't remember where I was when LJ Crabtree'd tceh - but it was awesome.

The lows were painfully low. The opening WTF loss to Maryland, WVU going for 2 while we all held our dicks in our hands. I lost $500 on the Okie Lite ML after we decided to not play a secondary in the first quarter. I was at Pluckers watching the B12CG with a Surlyer, bemoaning the late PI or non-PI call that fucked our chances (can't remember which off the top of my head). We even let a table of Sooner fans buy us shots because, well, everything seemed okay that day. Like that game was just one of many more to come in December - and that we'd win our fair share - "we'll get your ass next time!" - so I thought. 

Those seniors played their asses off for a HC that didn't recruit them. Sam took a leap and turned into a QB that had serious Heisman and playoff-winning potential. Sterns played at damn near an All-American level as a true frosh. We had a kicker with a set of brass balls again. 

And then Herman fucked all of that up. Maybe down the road when he's no longer wearing Burnt Orange I'll try and figure out how it devolved so fucking quickly from there - or why that ended up being his ceiling - but goddammit we had HOPE! Real, substantiated HOPE again going into 2019!

I guess what I'm getting at is fuck you, Tom. Fuck you for finding a way to lose 4 games in a season like that. Fuck you for making us wander the desert another 3 years afterwards. Fuck you for making Texas look like a basketball school having a fun little 10 win season that should be the exception and not the expectation. And fuck you for pissing in our faces while you did it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If you want to provide input on "The Eyes of Texas"

What took a University so long to come up with the idea to ask people to turn in a pseudo-homework assignment on a current issue? This should have been done months ago. Nevertheless, this is a great idea that could go horribly if not executed well.

Edited by Sock Monkey

Will TEXAS vs Iowa State game be lower scoring???

ISU vs Texas Results for Matt Campbell

• 2016     Texas Won             27 - 6 
  • 2017      Texas Won.           17 - 7
  • 2018·    Texas Won             24 - 10
  • 2019      Iowa State Won     23 - 21