2020 Texas Football Season Thread: Win or GTFO

texifornia

Something I've not seen mentioned (probably just looking in the wrong places) with regard to offensive play calling is that - particularly with Sweatin' Gary - nearly every time the team sets a formation and then errbody stands up and stares intently at the sideline, the opposing D waits for Sam to re-set and then changes their look. It seems like, more often than not, our play then gets stuffed. I'm assuming that oppo DCs have a damn good idea what our offense is going to use to attack the D they show, so they're just baiting #MensaTom into doing just that, which their shift is designed to attack. 

If they know it, why don't we know it, and take steps to attack that? Stupidity? Arrogance? Are we really that predictable? Are these only happening when they see #MensaTom calling the play?

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Something I've not seen mentioned (probably just looking in the wrong places) with regard to offensive play calling is that - particularly with Sweatin' Gary - nearly every time the team sets a formation and then errbody stands up and stares intently at the sideline, the opposing D waits for Sam to re-set and then changes their look. It seems like, more often than not, our play then gets stuffed. I'm assuming that oppo DCs have a damn good idea what our offense is going to use to attack the D they show, so they're just baiting #MensaTom into doing just that, which their shift is designed to attack. 

If they know it, why don't we know it, and take steps to attack that? Stupidity? Arrogance? Are we really that predictable? Are these only happening when they see #MensaTom calling the play?

Remember the story last year of tendencies and etc and how teams were tee’ing off on us due to those tendencies? I think it’s safe to assume that is happening still. Our scheme doesn’t look all that different just the route concepts seem different. 

12 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Remember the story last year of tendencies and etc and how teams were tee’ing off on us due to those tendencies? I think it’s safe to assume that is happening still. Our scheme doesn’t look all that different just the route concepts seem different. 

Time for Herman to let go of Yurcich's reins, and be aggressive on offense

7 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I 'member, is why I am puzzled. Gary's been doing that to #MensaTom four years now. Need to recognize we're being played and attack instead of responding... you know, like sometimes intentionally give the tipoff and run the opposite.  

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Time for Herman to let go of Yurcich's reins, and be aggressive on offense

Roger that. The fumble series? I'm gonna run Sam to the right side all four downs or until he scores, and don't snap the fucking ball with more than five seconds on the clock.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:42 PM, Aces_Full said:

He’s an average college running back at best.  And apparently slow as molasses.  Roschon is def stronger, tougher, a better blocker, and holds on to the damn ball better.  

Rojo and Bijan should be getting the carries. I don't care what's on Ingrams mind, he's fucked up too much. Rojo is more talented, and we need to get Bijan mow carries to acclimate him to college. Fuck this Ingram is talented shit. I don't give a fuck how "talented" he is, he's made too many dumb ass mistakes to get carries right now. I think Rojo has an injury, and Bijan is a much better catch out of the backfield than Ingram, anyway. Get that dude involved. Fuck Drayton. 

2 minutes ago, horn.g20 said:

I know you all downvote me for saying it..... but Sam has to have some responsibility for mindlessly obeying the bad playcalls and not audibling his own number. He's a senior with no chance of being benched. Why is he afraid to audible?

I saw him pull it down and take off several times for positive yardage. You want more QB draws? That’s proven largely ineffective over the last two seasons, defenses are ready for it.

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lutz...

I wish I could believe that it was reps that accounted for the TCU QB run defense on two plays & the  offensive inability for huge stretches at a time vs OU, TCU & TT as well as just the overall stupid penalties and overall lack of any semblance of discipline on "reps".

I think it is more likely a combination of stupid coaches and players. This team has regressed as the season progressed, another bye week won't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

This is the kind of hyperbole that makes it impossible to have any type of rational discussion with the players & admin. Players have right to protest, fans have right to react to said protest. If this somehow threatens DMO's future I don't see it.(outside of post football if he applies for a job and someone does google search on DMO and doesn't like his positions etc). Crappy play can impact his future far more readily than singing/not singing the EOT will. If he plays at a high level the NFL will give ZERO fucks about any of his college posts etc. Players have been drafted for far worse things than protesting a song being sung.

I fully support any of the player's right to protest and to even transfer ultimately if they feel that they are being oppressed in any way. They need to ensure that they don't transfer to any SEC schools as they have as much if not more of a racist past associated with their schools than the EOT is. This is where these protest break down IMO as the wrapper of self interest seemingly overrules objections to racist past as universities.

I think the song needs to not be played as it is being used as a dog whistle and as a negative recruiting tool vs Texas (not that any more is needed at this juncture) just have the players come out and the fans and them fucking cheer and clap for one another or some shit.

It is just such a fucking beating being a fan of this team and program. All aspects of it are just in disarray and have been for years.

• Like 1

Not sure how oddsmakers justify some of this...

Texas has something to play for coming off of open date

By: JEFF HOWE 91 minutes ago

With Texas coming off of consecutive losses to TCU and Oklahoma with a bye week doing nothing to help the Longhorns get back into either the Associated Press Top 25 or the Amway Coaches Poll, head coach Tom Herman shouldn’t have expected his squad to be nationally ranked entering a scheduled home game with Baylor. Texas (2-2, 1-2 Big 12) isn’t ranked ahead of Baylor (1-1, 1-1) making the trip from Waco to Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday (2:30 p.m., ESPN), but the Longhorns getting enough votes to receive 12 points in the Coaches Poll and one point in the AP Top 25 reflects why a sense of urgency to play a clean, winning brand of football for four full quarters needs to be there when the Bears come to town.

There's no question Herman is currently occupying a scorching-hot seat with the on-field product trending in the wrong direction and two losses in Big 12 play means Texas no longer controls its own destiny when it comes to reaching the title game in Arlington in December. With that said, a Big 12 that's far from the strongest the league has been in recent years, the flashes shown by Herman and Co. when they get out of their own and the effort shown on the part of the players provide a glimmer of hope when it comes to Herman's fourth season providing something redeeming about it when the dust settles.

If Texas is going to be playing for the Big 12 championship at AT&T Stadium come Dec. 19, Herman’s charges will need to knock off a few teams ahead of them in both the polls and the conference standings. The Longhorns have already played and lost to Oklahoma (2-2, 1-2) and TCU (1-2, 1-2) clubs that received more votes than the Longhorns in the Coaches Poll while the Sooners and West Virginia (3-1, 2-1) received votes in both polls.

The Mountaineers will play Texas in Austin on Nov. 7, one week after the Longhorns face Oklahoma State (3-1, 2-0) on Oct. 31 in Stillwater. The Cowboys are the highest-ranked Big 12 team in the latest polls (No. 5 in the AP Top 25 and No. 6 in the Coaches Poll), coming in ahead of an Iowa State (3-1, 3-0) team ranked No. 17 in the AP Top 25 and No. 18 in the Coaches Poll and No. 19 Kansas State (3-1, 3-0).

If there’s a silver lining to be found within a forgettable start to Big 12 play for Texas, it’s that the current conference pecking order based on the national polls and the league standings doesn’t reflect how the oddsmakers think things will play out, nor does it line up with advanced metrics forecasting future results. According to the William Hill Sports Book, the Longhorns are getting +450 odds to win the Big 12 with only Oklahoma (+160), Iowa State (+325) and Oklahoma State (+350) getting better odds coming out of a weekend where the only conference game played saw West Virginia pick up a home win over Kansas, 38-17.

ESPN’s Football Power Index is even more bullish on Texas. The FPI gives the Longhorns the best probability among the 10 teams in the Big 12 to win out (10.7 percent) and the second-best probability to win the conference championship (19.2 percent is behind only the 34.2-percent probability for Oklahoma State to claim the title) and reach the six-win mark (84.8-percent probability is second only to the Cowboys, who have a 94.4-percent chance of winning six games) in a 10-game season.

A Texas season that’s worthy of the label of a disappointing campaign with only four games in the books is one where the Longhorns very much have an opportunity to achieve something meaningful the rest of the way. Whether or not they’re capable of putting together enough prolonged stretches of competent football in all three phases of the game, however, is a different question entirely.

“We've got to play a cleaner brand of football,” Herman said during last week's bye week of a Texas team that’s tied for the Big 12 lead in penalties per game in conference play (10.7), has missed 44 tackles in the last three games and has been atrocious on special teams. “I think you're seeing it all across the country, but that is not an excuse. We've got to make sure that we're the exception and not the rule and that we play a cleaner brand of football when we're out there on Saturdays.”

By the time the month of October ends, Texas could very well know whether hope still exists for 2020 to be a championship season. At the same time, if the unsavory trends continue, the Longhorns could head into November knowing another reboot of the program is inevitable and that significant changes are on the horizon.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Big-12-championship-2020-something-to-play-for-Baylor-Bears-Tom-Herman-hot-seat-153226344/

Yeah, it's time to just let him heal for a year and start recruiting over him (although, not sure any decent recruit with his talent level will give us the time of day right now).  If he heals and comes back, great.  Right now, he's getting injured before he even fully recovers from previous injuries.  They need research what's causing all the soft tissue injuries for him.  If he's too lean, fatten him up a bit.  Make him do non stop yoga.  Whatever you need to do to make him durable enough to give us at least half a season if not a whole one.  

Between Bru McCoy, Jake Smith, and Jordan Whittington... that class of 5 star skill WRs is looking like a huge pile of shit for various reasons.  

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

This about as meaningless of a stat as you can find at this point. OSU and WVU have only played 3 games. 1 was against an OOC cupcake and another was against Kansas. OSU’s third game was against WVU.  Baylor’s only played two games, one against Kansas and the other WVU. 

So all this stat really shows is they’ve gone up against a disproportionately high number of shitty offenses. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, LTtxfan said:

Not sure how oddsmakers justify some of this...

Texas has something to play for coming off of open date

By: JEFF HOWE 91 minutes ago

With Texas coming off of consecutive losses to TCU and Oklahoma with a bye week doing nothing to help the Longhorns get back into either the Associated Press Top 25 or the Amway Coaches Poll, head coach Tom Herman shouldn’t have expected his squad to be nationally ranked entering a scheduled home game with Baylor. Texas (2-2, 1-2 Big 12) isn’t ranked ahead of Baylor (1-1, 1-1) making the trip from Waco to Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday (2:30 p.m., ESPN), but the Longhorns getting enough votes to receive 12 points in the Coaches Poll and one point in the AP Top 25 reflects why a sense of urgency to play a clean, winning brand of football for four full quarters needs to be there when the Bears come to town.

There's no question Herman is currently occupying a scorching-hot seat with the on-field product trending in the wrong direction and two losses in Big 12 play means Texas no longer controls its own destiny when it comes to reaching the title game in Arlington in December. With that said, a Big 12 that's far from the strongest the league has been in recent years, the flashes shown by Herman and Co. when they get out of their own and the effort shown on the part of the players provide a glimmer of hope when it comes to Herman's fourth season providing something redeeming about it when the dust settles.

If Texas is going to be playing for the Big 12 championship at AT&T Stadium come Dec. 19, Herman’s charges will need to knock off a few teams ahead of them in both the polls and the conference standings. The Longhorns have already played and lost to Oklahoma (2-2, 1-2) and TCU (1-2, 1-2) clubs that received more votes than the Longhorns in the Coaches Poll while the Sooners and West Virginia (3-1, 2-1) received votes in both polls.

The Mountaineers will play Texas in Austin on Nov. 7, one week after the Longhorns face Oklahoma State (3-1, 2-0) on Oct. 31 in Stillwater. The Cowboys are the highest-ranked Big 12 team in the latest polls (No. 5 in the AP Top 25 and No. 6 in the Coaches Poll), coming in ahead of an Iowa State (3-1, 3-0) team ranked No. 17 in the AP Top 25 and No. 18 in the Coaches Poll and No. 19 Kansas State (3-1, 3-0).

If there’s a silver lining to be found within a forgettable start to Big 12 play for Texas, it’s that the current conference pecking order based on the national polls and the league standings doesn’t reflect how the oddsmakers think things will play out, nor does it line up with advanced metrics forecasting future results. According to the William Hill Sports Book, the Longhorns are getting +450 odds to win the Big 12 with only Oklahoma (+160), Iowa State (+325) and Oklahoma State (+350) getting better odds coming out of a weekend where the only conference game played saw West Virginia pick up a home win over Kansas, 38-17.

ESPN’s Football Power Index is even more bullish on Texas. The FPI gives the Longhorns the best probability among the 10 teams in the Big 12 to win out (10.7 percent) and the second-best probability to win the conference championship (19.2 percent is behind only the 34.2-percent probability for Oklahoma State to claim the title) and reach the six-win mark (84.8-percent probability is second only to the Cowboys, who have a 94.4-percent chance of winning six games) in a 10-game season.

A Texas season that’s worthy of the label of a disappointing campaign with only four games in the books is one where the Longhorns very much have an opportunity to achieve something meaningful the rest of the way. Whether or not they’re capable of putting together enough prolonged stretches of competent football in all three phases of the game, however, is a different question entirely.

“We've got to play a cleaner brand of football,” Herman said during last week's bye week of a Texas team that’s tied for the Big 12 lead in penalties per game in conference play (10.7), has missed 44 tackles in the last three games and has been atrocious on special teams. “I think you're seeing it all across the country, but that is not an excuse. We've got to make sure that we're the exception and not the rule and that we play a cleaner brand of football when we're out there on Saturdays.”

By the time the month of October ends, Texas could very well know whether hope still exists for 2020 to be a championship season. At the same time, if the unsavory trends continue, the Longhorns could head into November knowing another reboot of the program is inevitable and that significant changes are on the horizon.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Big-12-championship-2020-something-to-play-for-Baylor-Bears-Tom-Herman-hot-seat-153226344/

Blah, blah, blah. 

That is way too many words to use when talking about our crappy, underachieving team. And coaches. Mostly, crappy underachieving coaches. 

I remember the baylor beat down from about 1989. 50-7. I never thought it could be worse than that. I think it could be the same tomorrow, and frankly, if we lose, I would rather it be 50-7 than 35-34. At least Mensa couldn’t talk about “consecutive losses on the last play”, horsecrap. 

Edited by Mossyhorn