2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

I was looking at the Heat's contracts earlier with the Harden stuff. They are set up pretty damned well for the future. Next year they can basically clear a max player's worth of space by refusing the option Iguodala and letting Olynyk walk. They can also free up another $10mm or so if they turn down the option on Meyers Leonard. 

If they can get a legit superstar like Kawhi or Giannis interested, they could max one of them and have said superstar, Butler, and Herro under contract for two more years. I think Dragic would re-sign a cheap sunset deal, then you fill out the rest of the roster with vets and lower end guys, and max Bam. 

Their starting 5 next year could look something like Dragic, Herro, Butler, Leonard, and Bam. That's a fuckin' nasty modern NBA lineup. or Dragic, Herro, Butler, Bam, Giannis, which is equally as nasty. Both of those lineups have shooting and defense just coming out of their ears.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s like the world has gone mad. 
herro, Duncan Robinson, and draft picks plus salary filler to houston and harden/tucker to Miami. If I’m Miami I do that without even blinking. 

There isn't enough salary filler for Harden alone, and now you are adding another $7M.

I was looking at the Heat's contracts earlier with the Harden stuff. They are set up pretty damned well for the future. Next year they can basically clear a max player's worth of space by refusing the option Iguodala and letting Olynyk walk. They can also free up another $10mm or so if they turn down the option on Meyers Leonard. 
If they can get a legit superstar like Kawhi or Giannis interested, they could max one of them and have said superstar, Butler, and Herro under contract for two more years. I think Dragic would re-sign a cheap sunset deal, then you fill out the rest of the roster with vets and lower end guys, and max Bam. 
Their starting 5 next year could look something like Dragic, Herro, Butler, Leonard, and Bam. That's a fuckin' nasty modern NBA lineup. or Dragic, Herro, Butler, Bam, Giannis, which is equally as nasty. Both of those lineups have shooting and defense just coming out of their ears.

And no state income tax

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

It would be their whole roster except Jimmy, Bam, Dragic, and Avery Bradley. They'd have to bring a third team in to make it work.

Only if Gordon is added.   Harden for Herro, Olynyk, Iggy and Meyers Leonard should work

EDIT:   Leonard cant be traded yet but Herro, Iggy and Olynyk works.

tradenba-snap-1607643080551.thumb.png.42aff977e14611a22ac87b7ba7cab1c1.png

Edited by d2o

31 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Remember, Bam is already maxed and his new contract starts next season.    They can still make a max slot work but it will take a little more work

Remember, Bam is already maxed and his new contract starts next season.    They can still make a max slot work but it will take a little more work
That's right. Spotrac hasn't updated him yet. They could still probably squeeze a max in before resigning their own guys and minimum salary add-ons.

Re:the salaries, if another player like Tucker (as mentioned) was involved it'd get silly. Harden alone works.

Assuming they could make the chemistry work, what's the ceiling for a Dragic, Robinson, Harden, Butler, Bam starting group with Bradley, Nunn, and whoever else they can find off the bench? That's a strong group. Obvious depth issues. Butler as a small ball 4 would work against most teams, but they could struggle with big physical frontcourts like LA or Denver.

46 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Assuming they could make the chemistry work, what's the ceiling for a Dragic, Robinson, Harden, Butler, Bam starting group with Bradley, Nunn, and whoever else they can find off the bench? That's a strong group. Obvious depth issues. Butler as a small ball 4 would work against most teams, but they could struggle with big physical frontcourts like LA or Denver.

If they can make it work, I dont see why they wouldn't be a toss up between BKN, MIL and them.   Obviously we dont even know if BKN will work but on paper they would be as good as anyone in the east

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

My rationale for picking the Clippers to come out of the West was that George couldn't play as poorly in the playoffs as he has in the past, given he has a strong team around him.

Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

I remember a fellow die-hard Laker fan friend of mine said three years ago he wanted nothing to do with Paul George, ever. I personally never wanted him to be a Laker because if Paul George is your 2nd best player you are not winning a title. Nothing against him as a person. I just see him as a guy who is not capable of ever coming through in the playoffs as a 2nd banana. 

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Brad gets it.

20 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Harden isn’t a culture fit in Miami.

19 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Zero chance harden and Jimmy coexist. Jimmy is an alpha but also a troll. He’d shred James and the whole situation becomes toxic.

Jimmy got the young’s like herro, nunn, Robinson and Bam to buy in with his style, and it worked. Something that didn’t latch on here in Minnesota. A vet like dragic also bought in and it all worked to perfection. Like the article said, James has never experienced no. Going to Jimmy’s team would be a whole ton of no’s.

Good points that too many people, including the pros, miss. Just because it makes sense on paper and fantasy doesn't mean it should be done or will work. The locker room is a whole nother dynamic that needs to be taken into account. Remember, Jimmy was an asshole until he found the right group of guys.

Edited by Brothahorn

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Good points that too many people, including the pros, miss. Just because it makes sense on paper and fantasy doesn't mean it should be done or will work. The locker room is a whole nother dynamic that needs to be taken into account. Remember, Jimmy was an asshole until he found the right group of guys.

Pat Riley is a star chaser though.  He may do it and try and figure it out the chemistry later.  He kind of lucked into last years team, as Butler was really the only realistic headline grabbing guy that was sort of available given what he had to work with, and his hard-nosed style rubbed off on the utes.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Pat Riley is a star chaser though.  He may do it and try and figure it out the chemistry later.  He kind of lucked into last years team, as Butler was really the only realistic headline grabbing guy that was sort of available given what he had to work with, and his hard-nosed style rubbed off on the utes.

Butler was always a Riley kinda guy though.   Riley loves those kinda hard driving a-hole guys.   Consequently the whole of the MIA org embraces them.     Like I said, that would be my only pause in chasing Harden but if conversations with him and Jimmy make you think it can work, none of the players mentioned would make me think twice giving up to get a guy as good as Harden.     Also, while some teams look at his 2 yrs left as some sort of hinderance, I look at it as the complete opposite.

54 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Of course Harden and Jimmy are friends, jimmy doesn’t have to babysit harden like he would if they were teammates.

Towns and Jimmy were bffs immediately after the trade and we all know how that turned out when we found out how soft KAT is.

This may be true as well and if Jimmy wouldn't sign off on it I wouldnt do it.  Just saying I wouldn't dismiss without at least exploring it.

40 minutes ago, Flash said:

If you can get Harden you get him. If it doesn't work out you can always flip him for somebody better than Herro next off-season.

This is so self evident I don't even understand why everyone doesn't get it. James Harden, at an absolute worst case scenario, if put on the market in Summer of 2021 would be the greatest expiring contract in the history of the sport. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know why people don't see it....because some are thinking larger picture and long term and realize we literally just saw what should have been the best team in the league last year(Clippers) implode thanks to bad fits and mainly Chemistry.

Harden doesn't fit on the Heat.  It's not just about getting the best player TODAY, it's about getting the best player that works with what you'll still have for now and for a long time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Drew said:

I know why people don't see it....because some are thinking larger picture and long term and realize we literally just saw what should have been the best team in the league last year(Clippers) implode thanks to bad fits and mainly Chemistry.

Harden doesn't fit on the Heat.  It's not just about getting the best player TODAY, it's about getting the best player that works with what you'll still have for now and for a long time.

You don't have any idea if that's true. He's not a total malcontent.  Also, Miami isn't winning a title without him. Tyler Herro and flotjam and picks in the mid to late 20's will never be the difference between winning a title and not. Miami plays to win the title.

Teams that win NBA Titles (Type 1- most of them)
Here is the recipe to winning a title and it's been true my entire lifetime.

Have a top 5 (maybe as low as top 7 or 8 ) player in the league.  

Pair him with someone that's also a top 10 player (or no worse than top 15)

Have another couple top 50 guys and role players that fit.  

OR

Type 2 (a very very very select few have done this)

Have an inner sanctum HOF at the height of his powers with a team perfectly crafted around him and get very lucky that you don't run into a type 1 team.  Examples of this are Hakeem with Houston, Dirk with Dallas.  That's 3 titles in the last 40 years.  Good luck.

Type 3 (this is a one off)

Have 2 top 15 or 20 players and 3 more top 30- 40 players.  Hope that when you run into team type 1 in the finals the 2 superstars hate each other and the role guys have gotten fat and happy.   1 example of this- Detroit 2004.

That's it.  That's how you win a title in the NBA.  Don't be fucking stupid. Don't tell me about chemistry.  That's after the fact bullshit that people use to justify why one team won and one didn't.  

Add Harden and you have a type 1 team.  

Harden is inarguably a top 7 guy.  Butler is a top 10-15 guy.   Bam is a top 30 or 40 type.  They have some decent role players around them to fill out a 5 or 6 man rotation.  

Is it a guarantee that it will win?  NO! Lakers are also a type 1 team and their top 2 are better than your top 2.  But, Bam is a better 3rd option than anyone else and maybe things work out and you win.  Or maybe they fall apart in a flaming car crash style.  BUT, AND THIS IS THE VERY IMPORTANT POINT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE HEAT ARE NOT WINNING A FUCKING TITLE WITHOUT EXTREME LUCK WITHOUT GETTING A TOP 5-7 GUY AND YOU DON'T LET A NICE PIECE GET IN THE WAY OF THAT HAPPENING. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You don't have any idea if that's true. He's not a total malcontent.  Also, Miami isn't winning a title without him. Tyler Herro and flotjam and picks in the mid to late 20's will never be the difference between winning a title and not. Miami plays to win the title.

Teams that win NBA Titles (Type 1- most of them)
Here is the recipe to winning a title and it's been true my entire lifetime.

Have a top 5 (maybe as low as top 7 or 8 ) player in the league.  

Pair him with someone that's also a top 10 player (or no worse than top 15)

Have another couple top 50 guys and role players that fit.  

OR

Type 2 (a very very very select few have done this)

Have an inner sanctum HOF at the height of his powers with a team perfectly crafted around him and get very lucky that you don't run into a type 1 team.  Examples of this are Hakeem with Houston, Dirk with Dallas.  That's 3 titles in the last 40 years.  Good luck.

Type 3 (this is a one off)

Have 2 top 15 or 20 players and 3 more top 30- 40 players.  Hope that when you run into team type 1 in the finals the 2 superstars hate each other and the role guys have gotten fat and happy.   1 example of this- Detroit 2004.

That's it.  That's how you win a title in the NBA.  Don't be fucking stupid. Don't tell me about chemistry.  That's after the fact bullshit that people use to justify why one team won and one didn't.  

Add Harden and you have a type 1 team.  

Harden is inarguably a top 7 guy.  Butler is a top 10-15 guy.   Bam is a top 30 or 40 type.  They have some decent role players around them to fill out a 5 or 6 man rotation.  

Is it a guarantee that it will win?  NO! Lakers are also a type 1 team and their top 2 are better than your top 2.  But, Bam is a better 3rd option than anyone else and maybe things work out and you win.  Or maybe they fall apart in a flaming car crash style.  BUT, AND THIS IS THE VERY IMPORTANT POINT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE HEAT ARE NOT WINNING A FUCKING TITLE WITHOUT EXTREME LUCK WITHOUT GETTING A TOP 5-7 GUY AND YOU DON'T LET A NICE PIECE GET IN THE WAY OF THAT HAPPENING. 

Dude chill the fuck out. I'm sorry that not all of us are gargling Harden's nuts as much as you are. The reasons Miami wouldn't trade for him are just as good if not better than the reasons that they would. If you want to doubt one of the best front offices, head coaches and winning cultures in the league then go right ahead. But basing that on Harden's ability to elevate a team to a championship winner - something he hasn't displayed or proven in his entire career - seems rather precarious. Especially when said team is a year removed from an impressive Finals run.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Drew said:

Thing is they aren't looking for "a long time" if they are willing to dump all of that next yr for Kawhi or Giannis.   I get both are better (although Kawhi comes with plenty of baggage of his own).    So if they are willing to dump all that chemistry next season for a guy, I'm not understanding why its so unfathomable for someone to think they would do it this yr.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude chill the fuck out. I'm sorry that not all of us are gargling Harden's nuts as much as you are. The reasons Miami wouldn't trade for him are just as good if not better than the reasons that they would. If you want to doubt one of the best front offices, head coaches and winning cultures in the league then go right ahead. But basing that on Harden's ability to elevate a team to a championship winner - something he hasn't displayed or proven in his entire career - seems rather precarious. Especially when said team is a year removed from an impressive Finals run.

To be somewhat fair, their Finals run was pretty darn improbable.   Does anyone have them as the favorite to go back?   If they were to get Harden while only really giving up Herro would they be then?

And just so it's repeated I get why some would say that the he doesnt fit.   I'm not saying its a complete no brainer

Edited by d2o

Yeah I'm just going to say you don't screw up what you have and potential to be in on Giannis/Kawhi later on while STILL being competitive now, by taking on a guy who if it doesn't work out hamstrings you for a few years.

OR if you get to trade him, after another year and team of not working out, you're have to attach MORE assets to move him.

I don't deny that getting a top 10 player seems like a great idea. But not always.  

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

A bizarre finals run that was created in a lab for them to succeed at by doing away with any home court advantage and creating an environment that benefits the strongest of the strong (mentally) and then they got buttfucked in the finals b/c they had no talent.  The kind of run they went on to get to the finals with that team is something that happens approximately once every 20 years or something like that.

And I'm not gargling Harden's nuts.  I'm pointing out that people are fucking stupid.  B/c people are acting fucking stupid.  

Did I ever say that Harden is the missing piece that guarantees a title to anyone?  Hell fucking no I didn't. I just said that there is a very specific recipe to winning a title and if that's what you are playing for you go recreate that- and teams like Boston and Miami that are like no thanks we are good with being a top 8 type team that has almost no chance of winning the title when we could give ourselves a decent chance at winning the title are stupid, deserve to be mocked, and I will do so. 

And people that are like Hurrr durr Wulaw what about the chemistry, are like Joe Fucking Morgan in 1997 arguing about how your number 2 hitter ought to drop down bunts with a leadoff hitter on 1st or intentionally give up an out by hittting to the second baseman to move him along the paths if he's on second.  IT'S FUCKING STUPID.  We are smarter than this now.  It's like listening to the loud mouth at the bar that's 58 years old and thinks they know everything when in reality it's all stupid regurgitated and outdated takes.  

Now- if the argument for Miami is fuck Harden- we are going to wait and take a shot on Giannis in 2021 b/c we'd rather have a 50/50 chance to get him and a 50/50 chance to win it all if we got him as opposed to improving our chances from the equivalent of Wulaw Horn fucking Katie Holmes tonight to 20% then sure. That's a baller move by Miami and I have props to them for making that gamble.  If it's rather, instead nah we are good b/c hurrrr durrr chemistry then go ahead and literally fuck your own face, you are a stupid fucking cocksucker. 

By the way- I don't need to chill out at all. I'm calmer than you are dude. I'm just having a little fun on a Friday afternoon while I'm stuck in the office for another 12 minutes before I have a scheduled 5:30 sales call and bounce for the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Thing is they aren't looking for "a long time" if they are willing to dump all of that next yr for Kawhi or Giannis.   I get both are better (although Kawhi comes with plenty of baggage of his own).    So if they are willing to dump all that chemistry next season for a guy, I'm not understanding why its so unfathomable for someone to think they would do it this yr.

TBH I was just responding to those who just "couldn't see why people wouldn't do it".  I gave reasons.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I personally would be in the latter.  Do NOT give up good assets now for Harden, when you're good enough without him, improbable or not, to make another Finals run, AND you can STILL be in the 2021 FA class.

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Great point. I made that at the end of my post.  If the answer is fuck it we are all in on Giannis I see you working Riles. Good on you. Admire the balls.  

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah I'm just going to say you don't screw up what you have and potential to be in on Giannis/Kawhi later on while STILL being competitive now, by taking on a guy who if it doesn't work out hamstrings you for a few years.

OR if you get to trade him, after another year and team of not working out, you're have to attach MORE assets to move him.

I don't deny that getting a top 10 player seems like a great idea. But not always.  

I dont think you would have to add anything to trade him next yr.    He would be an expiring contract at the absolute worst so you would prolly get a pick  but he could also be included in the S&T that they would have to do if Kawhi or Giannis actually decided to go there

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Hold on, hold on, hold on.  Are you trying to tell me, with a straight face, that if Miami decided they wanted to move on from 1 year of Harden you are under the impression that there is any universe that exists that they would have to attach assets to get out of that contract?  

Fuck man, that's one of the dumber things written on this board.  I really, really, really hope that yo didn't mean to type that or don't actually believe it. 

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I dont think you would have to add anything to trade him next yr.    He would be an expiring contract at the absolute worst so you would prolly get a pick  but he could also be included in the S&T that they would have to do if Kawhi or Giannis actually decided to go there

100%

Expiring contracts in the NBA are coveted and valuable.  And that's when they are attached to people who can't play, not perennial all NBA guys.  

If Harden runs himself out of a different city, and another year where he doesn't get far in the playoffs?  Yeah, I could definitely see another team asking for something to bring on Harden again.  Sure someone could be stupid enough to do it.  But at some point, you gotta ask...what's the deal with Harden?

But I'm willing to concede that there will be teams that wouldn't require it.

EXCEPT the 76rs. They'll trade picks FOR him.

Edited by Drew

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

If Harden runs himself out of a different city, and another year where he doesn't get far in the playoffs?  Yeah, I could definitely see another team asking for something to bring on Harden again.  Sure someone could be stupid enough to do it.  But at some point, you gotta ask...what's the deal with Harden?

Someone will always trade something for him. Seriously, no chance you have attach picks to him.  

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

What they currently have isn’t going to win anything without a Giannis/Kawhi/Harden. 

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

No one is asking for extra on an expiring Harden contract. That’s gold for the NBA. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Someone else also pointed out up thread that it leaves the option for a sign and trade with one of the big FA targets.

<===================== This guy did.     They will have to S&T to get either of them.    I think the Clips or MIL (particularly the Clips) wouldn't mind getting him in return if they know they are losing their guy or they could route him elsewhere for other pieces.   If there is one thing that these last few yrs should have taught us its that things change very fast in this league

This is so self evident I don't even understand why everyone doesn't get it. James Harden, at an absolute worst case scenario, if put on the market in Summer of 2021 would be the greatest expiring contract in the history of the sport. 

This has him a UFA in 2023. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/james-harden-6312/

How many contenders have assets for anything to get harden? Both LA teams are out of picks until 2057, golden state isn’t going to trade anyone for him, Milwaukee used picks for Jrue, Boston or Philly might be able with to package something similar to a Miami (brown/simmons /Herro) but what else would Houston demand?

I just don’t put harden in the curry/kawhi/lebron level of performing their best when the lights are on. He seems to put up a lot of bad games. Maybe I’m over exaggerating

Hey guys we really need to trade young, good players on cheap deals for a 40 million/yr player that’ll hoist up 25 shots a game, 13 of those will be 3 pointers, and he’ll shoot under 45%. That percentage goes down in the playoffs. But ignore the bubble playoff stats because there weren’t any fans present.

A bizarre finals run that was created in a lab for them to succeed at by doing away with any home court advantage and creating an environment that benefits the strongest of the strong (mentally) and then they got buttfucked in the finals b/c they had no talent.  The kind of run they went on to get to the finals with that team is something that happens approximately once every 20 years or something like that.
And I'm not gargling Harden's nuts.  I'm pointing out that people are fucking stupid.  B/c people are acting fucking stupid.  
Did I ever say that Harden is the missing piece that guarantees a title to anyone?  Hell fucking no I didn't. I just said that there is a very specific recipe to winning a title and if that's what you are playing for you go recreate that- and teams like Boston and Miami that are like no thanks we are good with being a top 8 type team that has almost no chance of winning the title when we could give ourselves a decent chance at winning the title are stupid, deserve to be mocked, and I will do so. 
And people that are like Hurrr durr Wulaw what about the chemistry, are like Joe Fucking Morgan in 1997 arguing about how your number 2 hitter ought to drop down bunts with a leadoff hitter on 1st or intentionally give up an out by hittting to the second baseman to move him along the paths if he's on second.  IT'S FUCKING STUPID.  We are smarter than this now.  It's like listening to the loud mouth at the bar that's 58 years old and thinks they know everything when in reality it's all stupid regurgitated and outdated takes.  
Now- if the argument for Miami is fuck Harden- we are going to wait and take a shot on Giannis in 2021 b/c we'd rather have a 50/50 chance to get him and a 50/50 chance to win it all if we got him as opposed to improving our chances from the equivalent of Wulaw Horn fucking Katie Holmes tonight to 20% then sure. That's a baller move by Miami and I have props to them for making that gamble.  If it's rather, instead nah we are good b/c hurrrr durrr chemistry then go ahead and literally fuck your own face, you are a stupid fucking cocksucker. 
By the way- I don't need to chill out at all. I'm calmer than you are dude. I'm just having a little fun on a Friday afternoon while I'm stuck in the office for another 12 minutes before I have a scheduled 5:30 sales call and bounce for the weekend. 

Imagine being like 58 and talking on a message board like this lol