2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

Just now, BradInATX said:

Right on. I don't know that Harden for Brown and Tatum is really as cut and dry as you think, mostly because of age and the potential of those guys. But that's a whole different debate.

Not Tatum and Brown.  Brown and Smart.  Simmons and Lowe were dismissing out of hand and Lowe and his guest determined Boston wouldn't even convene a meeting to talk about Brown and Smart.  Lunacy.

Unless you'd rather have 5 years of Sam Elinger's college career over three years of VY or something like that.    

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Not Tatum and Brown.  Brown and Smart.  Simmons and Lowe were dismissing out of hand and Lowe and his guest determined Boston wouldn't even convene a meeting to talk about Brown and Smart.  Lunacy.

Unless you'd rather have 5 years of Sam Elinger's college career over three years of VY or something like that.    

Oh damn, my bad, that's what I get for skimming while I work.

Yeah, nevermind, gimme Harden there. I hadn't heard that that was a deal that was on the table.

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely.  That's what I meant when I said he's spotty and it's complicated.  He's never seized the moment and willed his team to be better than it was. And if you are an all time great you just need to do that kind of thing in the playoffs.  Almost everyone who we think of as a top 10/15/20 all time NBA player can point to that somewhere on their resume.  Durant was better than Lebron straight up during the Dubs first title.  No ifs ands or buts.  Everyone else we are talking about in that pantheon of players has won multiple MVP's, finals MVPs, been the undoubted best player on their team. That's why Harden isn't a top 15 or top 20 all time guy. If he would have done that in 2018 with Paul not getting hurt he'd be that guy. He isn't.  But that's a ridiculously high bar.  Just b/c you didn't ever do that doesn't mean teams shouldn't be salivating to move top 30 type guys for you. 

Then that is why he isn't above the people that Brad pointed out for #2 if we are including playoffs.   KD, Steph, and Kawhi all are better.

I've already stated that Brown nor any other non-superstar player should be the reason that you wouldn't trade for him.    That wasn't the point of contention.   The contention was saying that he is the #2 player of the last decade.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Oh damn, my bad, that's what I get for skimming while I work.

Yeah, nevermind, gimme Harden there. I hadn't heard that that was a deal that was on the table.

Ha.  Yeah- it wasn't like it was reported anywhere as a deal that was offered. Other than allegedly Boston was calling and then said we aren't interested and the thought was that Houston didn't ask for Tatum and the only thing that would make sense salary wise and talent wise was Brown and Smart. It is just more the collective NBA media brain trust trying to determine Hardens value. And it's really stupid.  
The guy is weird. The guy likes strippers.  The guy is probably an introvert and he's damn sure not a leader.  But he's never been a problem up until the last 6 months- I'd argure anyone with 3 firing synapses should want out of playing for Tilman Ferntits b/c he's the biggest clown in the NBA. He shows up and plays every night, usually at a real high level, and there is anecdotal evidence that he is tired of having a usage rate in the high 30's and knows he needs to do something else to win a title. That's a guy you absolutely should take a chance at.  And smart people that cover the NBA act like 30 teams would clammor all over themselves for Bradley Beal while James Harden is some sort of damaged goods that might see 2 or 3 or 4 teams willing to deign to offer lowball crap for him.  I'm talking smart people like Arnovitz and Howard Beck saying this shit.  

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Then that is why he isn't above the people that Brad pointed out for #2 if we are including playoffs.   KD, Steph, and Kawhi all are better.

I've already stated that Brown or any other non-superstar player should be the reason that you wouldn't trade for him.    That wasn't the point of contention.   The contention was saying that he is the #2 player of the last decade.

Yeah man- we totally agree. I wasn't saying he was the #2 best player of the last decade btw. Might have sounded like that but it came out shitty. I was talking about total aggregate value due to minutes and indestructibleness of his play piling up counting stats.  I agree with everyone you said being "better" than him.  IT was a slightly different point I was trying to make, but yeah, we are on the same page no doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha.  Yeah- it wasn't like it was reported anywhere as a deal that was offered. Other than allegedly Boston was calling and then said we aren't interested and the thought was that Houston didn't ask for Tatum and the only thing that would make sense salary wise and talent wise was Brown and Smart. It is just more the collective NBA media brain trust trying to determine Hardens value. And it's really stupid.  
The guy is weird. The guy likes strippers.  The guy is probably an introvert and he's damn sure not a leader.  But he's never been a problem up until the last 6 months- I'd argure anyone with 3 firing synapses should want out of playing for Tilman Ferntits b/c he's the biggest clown in the NBA. He shows up and plays every night, usually at a real high level, and there is anecdotal evidence that he is tired of having a usage rate in the high 30's and knows he needs to do something else to win a title. That's a guy you absolutely should take a chance at.  And smart people that cover the NBA act like 30 teams would clammor all over themselves for Bradley Beal while James Harden is some sort of damaged goods that might see 2 or 3 or 4 teams willing to deign to offer lowball crap for him.  I'm talking smart people like Arnovitz and Howard Beck saying this shit.  

I dont totally agree with the hasnt been a problem before 6 mos ago.   He has never been able to truly co-exist with any other high level player they've brought in to pair with.   Even a dude that is supposed to be his best friend didnt wanna play with him anymore because of his unwillingness to change how he plays and approaches his position.    And I dont know for sure but I would guess that his consistent breakdowns in late playoffs is due to his lack of commitment to conditioning and his insistence on partying.

Additionally, I've never heard him say he was willing or needed to change.   I'd imagine if that was the case Russ wouldn't have asked out.

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont totally agree with the hasnt been a problem before 6 mos ago.   He has never been able to truly co-exist with any other high level player they've brought in to pair with.   Even a dude that is supposed to be his best friend didnt wanna play with him anymore because of his unwillingness to change how he plays and approaches his position.    And I dont know for sure but I would guess that his consistent breakdowns in late playoffs is due to his lack of commitment to conditioning and his insistence on partying.

Additionally, I've never heard him say he was willing or needed to change.   I'd imagine if that was the case Russ wouldn't have asked out.

I more meant with popping off in the media and asking out and being in general a diva or public pain in the ass. There's probably something going on there behind the scenes but I don't, in any individual sense, blame him for not getting along with Howard (nobody gets along with him), Paul (the list of people he has rubbed the wrong way is as long and distinguished as my johnson) nor Westbrook (fuck man- it's more a mark of failure on his part to ever stump to bring Westbrook in than it is to be done with him after a year).  End of the day- if the story is NBA super stars are kind of diva's, difficult to work with, and in general whiny ass bitches that might be a fair and universal statement.  Absent Steph. He seems to be cool in any scenario.

James ran off Irving.

Leonard pulled off the biggest bitch move of the decade in San Antonio

Steph- awesome as a teammate and the exception that proves the rule

Durant- I love him- will always root for him- he's one of ours- but yeah- dude is clearly drama no doubt

Davis- did NO dirty- no doubt

Harden- this is first instance of him doing something like that

Westbrook- ran off Durant and Playoff P is the only dude who has ever willingly re-upped to play with him and then he bounced the second KL said- lets do this

Simmons/Ebiid- don't like each other it seems

Playoff P.  Hahahahahahahaahahaha- that will never not be funny.

Klay- see Steph, but he shouldn't count b/c he's not a superstar

Kryie- haahahahahahahahaahahaahahaahaahaahahahhahahah. Maybe the single biggest bitch in the NBA.  Don't even know if I can blame Lebron for that one and Lebron can be pretty damn douchetastic.

I mean- am I even missing a super star that's worthy of talking about here? Probably, but if so that's unintentional.

The younger guys- well- they are young and haven't had the chance to stir shit up yet or be a problem or the like. I don't count anyone under 25 in this group. They are just learning and testing their strength.  

The him saying he was willing to change came out at the all star break 2 years ago. He told Steph- yeah I'm tired of playing like this but what are you gonna do?  Maybe he was sincere, maybe not. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Harden is such a strange character. He's not a cancer, but he's kinda not not a cancer. His intangibles are strange. His teammates mostly seem to like him. But he certainly doesn't get the best out of his teammates.

He's not abrasive at all but his teammates seem to like but not love him. He doesn't elevate anyone really. He's terrifically gifted but doesn't always live up to his potential and it doesn't seem to bother him. And he has well documented clutch issues. He's like the yin to Jimmy Butler's neurotic overachieving yang.

He's an enigma to me even after all these years. I can't tell if he's just a bro who likes to party but can still get up for practice and get it done on the court, or if there's deep water below his odd surface.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a hard time judging Harden because that roster was so strangely constructed.  Who is the best wing player that he has played with in Houston?  Chandler Parsons? Trevor Ariza? Eric Gordon? PJ Tucker?  The answer is probably Robert Covington who averaged a whopping 11 points per game.  He existed fine alongside Durant when they were in OKC.  The guys he has been playing with since then have been stiffs. 

If I were Boston, I would offer up:

• Kemba - Gets you an all-NBA player in return
  • Romeo Langford (2019 #14 pick)
  • Grant Williams (2019 #22 pick)
  • Robert Williams (2018 #27 pick)
  • A couple of future their future 1sts
  • A few of their acquired 2nds. 

If I'm Houston, I might like that better than what Philly can offer.  Basically gives them an all-star and the equivalent of five 1st round picks.  And the salaries match up decently.  If you don't like Kemba, then flip him later for something you do like if Wall comes back healthy.

And then if you are Boston, you can let Harden play PG with the two stud wings in Tatum and Brown.  And you keep Marcus Smart coming off the bench who can sub for any of them.  

I obviously have no idea whether this trade is even possible, but I don't love the idea of pairing up Kemba and Harden.  But maybe you don't have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Harden is such a strange character. He's not a cancer, but he's kinda not not a cancer. His intangibles are strange. His teammates mostly seem to like him. But he certainly doesn't get the best out of his teammates.

He's not abrasive at all but his teammates seem to like but not love him. He doesn't elevate anyone really. He's terrifically gifted but doesn't always live up to his potential and it doesn't seem to bother him. And he has well documented clutch issues. He's like the yin to Jimmy Butler's neurotic overachieving yang.

He's an enigma to me even after all these years. I can't tell if he's just a bro who likes to party but can still get up for practice and get it done on the court, or if there's deep water below his odd surface.

Agree 90%. He did make cappella a lot better. 

I have a hard time judging Harden because that roster was so strangely constructed.  Who is the best wing player that he has played with in Houston?  Chandler Parsons? Trevor Ariza? Eric Gordon? PJ Tucker?  The answer is probably Robert Covington who averaged a whopping 11 points per game.  He existed fine alongside Durant when they were in OKC.  The guys he has been playing with since then have been stiffs. 
If I'm Houston, I might like that better than what Philly can offer.  Basically gives them an all-star and the equivalent of five 1st round picks.  And the salaries match up decently.  If you don't like Kemba, then flip him later for something you do like if Wall comes back healthy.
And then if you are Boston, you can let Harden play PG with the two stud wings in Tatum and Brown.  And you keep Marcus Smart coming off the bench who can sub for any of them.  
I obviously have no idea whether this trade is even possible, but I don't love the idea of pairing up Kemba and Harden.  But maybe you don't have to.

There's no way Houston takes a player largely redundant to John Wall on the downside of his career and scrubs and picks. Boston not gonna get him without involving Brown or Tatum.

And the best wing Harden has played with is hall of famer Chris Paul. And Durant was essentially a wing player early in his career.

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

HOU just got Wall.    He and Kemba wont work together.    If HOU does a deal to BOS without Brown involved then this new guy sucks.

Edited by d2o

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Harden in OKC is totally different guy than he is in HOU.   He was clearly the 3rd guy and to his credit he played that role well until he was ready to go.   In HOU he has been the #1 guy since he got there and hasn't been able to work well with another high level guy.

Fair enough on all comments, but Chris Paul isn’t a wing.

Is there no 3rd team that would want Kemba? Orlando badly needs a PG.

What about:
Boston sends Kemba to Orlando, Langford, Grant Williams and 2 1sts to Houston

Orlando sends Aaron Gordon and Mo Bamba to Houston. Or perhaps Jonathan Isaac.

Houston sends Harden to Boston

Orlando would have a solid team then with: Kemba, Fultz, Fournier, Isaac, Vucevic

Harden doesn’t play well with others on the court.  He was enabled by the analytical driven environment in Houston, but he’s a black hole on offense.  A pretty good black hole, but a black hole nonetheless.  What elite player would want to sign up for being a bystander on offense while being expected to cover for Harden on defense?

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Not sure Harden is that ball dominant or if it was just the offense. Probably a little of both.

Now that Harden has experienced being the centerpiece of an offense that has led to him being the leading scorer and MVP, do you think he wants to give that up?  Harden has taken late-prime Carmelo’s place as the best player in the league that I wouldn’t want on my team.

12 hours ago, HookEm said:

Fair enough on all comments, but Chris Paul isn’t a wing.

Is there no 3rd team that would want Kemba? Orlando badly needs a PG.

What about:
Boston sends Kemba to Orlando, Langford, Grant Williams and 2 1sts to Houston

Orlando sends Aaron Gordon and Mo Bamba to Houston. Or perhaps Jonathan Isaac.

Houston sends Harden to Boston

Orlando would have a solid team then with: Kemba, Fultz, Fournier, Isaac, Vucevic

Hell NAW we dont want Kemba at 30M+!!!!!   And we sure as fuck aint giving up AG AND Bamba to get him.     Fultz is coming along and while I aint at all excited about Cole Anthony I'll deal with him before that deal 1000 times out of 1000

The extent of James Harden's power he has long held with the Houston Rockets has come to light during his efforts to orchestrate a trade.

"James Harden has had the right to say who comes and goes in Houston for essentially the whole time he's [been] there," said Tim MacMahon on the Brian Windhorst podcast. "He wanted Dwight Howard and then he wanted Dwight Howard gone. Chris Paul, then Chris Paul gone. Russell Westbrook. Russell Westbrook gone. He wanted Kevin McHale out and McHale was gone. We can go on down the list.

"Like a lot of superstars, he had the right to say what the travel schedule was going to be. He determined the practice schedule. Got a couple days off, 'Well, James wants to go to Vegas, so you're not going to practice that day.'

"Coming back from the All-Star break, first practice is voluntary because 'James needs to go cool his heels a little bit in Vegas.'

"The first time the Rockets ever told James Harden no was 'No, we're not going to send you to Brooklyn when we don't like the potential trade.'"

Harden reported to training camp with the Rockets several days late after making a pair of much-publicized stops in Atlanta and Las Vegas.

"Their culture is whatever whim he had, that's what their culture was based on," added MacMahon." I was talking to a former Rockets staffer yesterday and he said quote, 'Yeah, he's going to act up, he's never heard 'no' before.'"

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Harden in south beach has disaster written all over it. What can be the package? Miami just played their best bball in the bubble and almost swept the Bucks. No way I break that up to land a playoff choke artist. All while paying him 40 million a year

Plus Butler would probably kill him at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I like Tyler Herro but if he is the reason you dont get Harden, you're fucking up.

Does Miami even have the salary matching capabilities right now? 

Even with Iguodala, Olynyk, Nunn, and Herro they are $10M short.

Dragic, Bradley, and Leonard aren't eligible to be traded because they just signed.

There would have to be a 3rd team involved.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I like Tyler Herro but if he is the reason you dont get Harden, you're fucking up.

Are you? They just made the Finals. Not sure the Heat are in a hurry to mortgage their future and give away one of the best 20 year olds in the NBA for 2 good years of Harden. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Are you? They just made the Finals. Not sure the Heat are in a hurry to mortgage their future and give away one of the best 20 year olds in the NBA for 2 good years of Harden. 

I would consider some of the non-basketball issues but yep.   Herro would be on the first thing smoking.  

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Does Miami even have the salary matching capabilities right now? 

Even with Iguodala, Olynyk, Nunn, and Herro they are $10M short.

Dragic, Bradley, and Leonard aren't eligible to be traded because they just signed.

There would have to be a 3rd team involved.

They got rid of a lot of their bad deals to get Butler and Iggy last yr but they could make it work.    MIA would be able to bring in120% of what they let go so that package would be very close not 10M short.  

Edited by d2o

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

I would consider some of the non-basketball issues but yep.   Herro would be on the first thing smoking.  

If it was Harden for Herro straight up - sure. But it isn't, or wouldn't be, and I'm sure you are aware of that. 

Herro is one of the best contracts in the NBA. If he makes a sophomore leap then you are looking at potentially having an all-star on the books for $4M in year 3. I don't see Riley and the Heat throwing that out the window just to roll the dice on Harden. 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If it was Harden for Herro straight up - sure. But it isn't, or wouldn't be, and I'm sure you are aware of that. 

Herro is one of the best contracts in the NBA. If he makes a sophomore leap then you are looking at potentially having an all-star on the books for $4M in year 3. I don't see Riley and the Heat throwing that out the window just to roll the dice on Harden. 

The package offered is Herro and flotsam.   Olynyk, Nunn and even Iggy are all replaceable.    Herro had a nice season.  Do you really think he has superstar potential?   I don't.

I dont even love Harden like some people here do but I make that trade every single time.   I can figure out the rest later.

My bigger concern would be Harden getting along with Jimmy and buying in to the Heat style of conducting himself.    If he has them on his list he should at least understand that but I would sit down and discuss that he will not have the rope that HOU gave him.   Riley and Jimmy are the culture setters in the org.  If he is good with that what I have to give up is a second thought.

Edited by d2o

22 minutes ago, d2o said:

Herro had a nice season.  Do you really think he has superstar potential?   I don't.

Why are you acting like Harden and Herro have the same cap hit? Miami doesn't need to trade for aging superstars. They are 10 years removed from making the biggest FA signing in NBA history and there may be an impending Kawhi and Giannis sweepstakes in 2021.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why are you acting like Harden and Herro have the same cap hit? Miami doesn't need to trade for aging superstars. They are 10 years removed from making the biggest FA signing in NBA history and there may be an impending Kawhi and Giannis sweepstakes in 2021.

I'm well aware of their cap numbers and I commented on the full deal.  Having Harden could make it easier to get either of those guys next summer.   If it comes down to it and either wanna go to MIA they can S&T Harden out if he isn't happy and this season isnt a success.   Or they could just outright trade him somewhere else to make room for either.   Remember MIA was WAY OVER the cap when they got Jimmy.   

The package offered is Herro and flotsam.   Olynyk, Nunn and even Iggy are all replaceable.    Herro had a nice season.  Do you really think he has superstar potential?   I don't.
I dont even love Harden like some people here do but I make that trade every single time.   I can figure out the rest later.

My bigger concern would be Harden getting along with Jimmy and buying in to the Heat style of conducting himself.    If he has them on his list he should at least understand that but I would sit down and discuss that he will not have the rope that HOU gave him.   Riley and Jimmy are the culture setters in the org.  If he is good with that what I have to give up is a second thought.

Zero chance harden and Jimmy coexist. Jimmy is an alpha but also a troll. He’d shred James and the whole situation becomes toxic.

Jimmy got the young’s like herro, nunn, Robinson and Bam to buy in with his style, and it worked. Something that didn’t latch on here in Minnesota. A vet like dragic also bought in and it all worked to perfection. Like the article said, James has never experienced no. Going to Jimmy’s team would be a whole ton of no’s.

Man what a weird day. You guys said it already but Harden to Miami doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The only thing I can think that Riley is thinking is that Butler really is the perfect type of 2nd star to compliment a high-usage player like Harden. Basketball wise, on paper, it could work. But Butler has shown he will only defer to or co-exist with another superstar if he respects them. He respects Bam and Dragic which is why Miami works. Would he respect Harden? That's really difficult to see. If any coach in the league can manage superstar egos, I guess it's Spo.

Obviously Herro and change for Harden is a huge win on a pure talent basis. Herro's ceiling is definitely lower than "superstar". But man, that's a huge risk to make that disruptive of a change to a team that's got something good building.

Milwaukee makes a little more sense, but I still don't see it. Milwaukee needs some nasty and some scrappy, not a downgrade of their already porous perimeter defense to get some scoring. 

If I'm the GM of either team I say no. Both teams have been built pretty well organically making generally smart moves (outside of the Bledsoe contract, which they've dumped). Mortgaging the future for Harden is something a "not quite there" title contender would do at the tail end of their window. The Heat and Bucks are the exact opposite.

And LOL at the playoff P contract. Clippers gon' Clipper.

Edited by BradInATX

Given how much they had to give up to get PG, they kinda had to do it.    That said, I dont think he can be as bad as he was in the playoffs again.   Maybe a new coach, new role players and another yr together can get them meshing better and working better.

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

That said, I dont think he can be as bad as he was in the playoffs again.

My rationale for picking the Clippers to come out of the West was that George couldn't play as poorly in the playoffs as he has in the past, given he has a strong team around him.

Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

• Hook 'Em 2