The National and Bon Iver featuring Taylor Swift

crash_davis

I know this thread will get shit on but interested to hear your manly opinions of Taylor Swift's folklore and evermore albums. evermore just dropped last night.

I heard her old stuff just because I have daughters. In case you didn't know, teenage girls love TS. However, with folklore, her sound and style definitely changed. Aaron Dessner of the National worked with her on folklore. Many of the songs stylistically had the imprints of The National songs. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver also contributed. folklore was definitely TS growing up and evolving from her teenage girl angst pop stuff.

evermore completes that transformation. Most of the album sound like The National and Bon Iver songs. Match those songs stylistically with TS's great writing skills and evermore is a damn honest, dare I saw really good album. I don't listen to any of her old stuff but evermore is good shit.

You may commence with the jokes...

TS with the National

TS with Justin Vernon, from evermore

from folklore

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3

I liked Folklore a lot. I also have a young daughter and it was a great compromise album to put on the last few months. Listening to the new one now, it does sound like a National album, especially because 'I am easy to find' had so many tracks featuring female vocalists. Wonder what the chances are they can get Swift to return the favor and jump on a track on their next album. 

Relatedly, I guess I have to admit to myself that Jack Antonoff is a pretty great producer. I passionately hate Fun and every time I see him I get full body douche chills but the guy seemingly has some serious talent when working with other artists. 

Up until the last two albums, this is the song that made me really think, "Damn, you ain't singing only about teenage angst shit no more." Before False God, Dress was other indication that she was a woman, had woman needs, and wasn't afraid to express them now. On False God, I remember hearing "the altar is my hips" line and immediately looking at my daughters to see if they understood it. That's the epiphany that TS is all growed up. I think she's been trending towards making this more adult shit for a couple of years. Really like how different this song was from most all of her previous stuff. Saxophone, on a TS song. 

Didn’t appreciate Taylor Swift until Ryan Adams covered the entirety of the 1989 album and I really listened to the lyrics. She’s a damn good songwriter, and I’m a fan of her last two albums. 

And it’s a great way to musically bond with your teenage daughter without cringing over some sophomoric pop drivel.

• Like 1

Never heard of song off Folklore.  Hell, never heard of the album but like all that was posted above.  Will have to listen more. Thanks for posting this.   I never thought Liz Rose got the credit for those early songs she deserved and according to a couple of people I know, it really wasn't much of a co-write situation.