USMNT 2021

Napoleon

20 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

regarding donovan / algeria.....  we were held for 90 minutes by a Ligue 2 all-star squad when it shouldn't have even mattered.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koman_Coulibaly

There were FIVE (5) Slovenian holds/tackles on that kick and not one USA foul against a Slovenian on that kick.

That guy probably shouldn't be refereeing and it's kind of strange to see that he wasn't mortally wounded after that match.

16 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

More on the Philadelphia Union's approach (or how they might create a Pennsylvania pipeline for MNT players): https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/01/01/unions-formula/

So far it's only two Union players to make the jump to Europe in Brendon Aaronson (RB Salzburg - Austria) and Mark McKenzie (Genk - Belgium), but the bigger point is that the Union is facilitating the growth of these players (don't forget they're also homegrown) by actively trying to sell them to European Clubs <looking at the rest of MLS except for FC Dallas>. 

NYRB has a steady flow from North Jersey to Europe. Caden Clark is from Minnesota, but he didn't sign with his home state club. He signed with Red Bull, because they offer a path to Europe that is even more smooth than FC Dallas' offer.

Philly is #3 on this pathway list.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

The obvious is close to becoming official. Another man to add to our shit list!

Chau/ Chao/ Tchau/ Ciao/ Adios

He was never going to see the field for the USA. He's making the right decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:26 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

regarding donovan / algeria.....  we were held for 90 minutes by a Ligue 2 all-star squad when it shouldn't have even mattered.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koman_Coulibaly

Man...I had totally blocked this from my memory. Just infuriating. The cascade effect from this moment really hurt us. If that goal would have counted, we could have rotated the squad for the third match against Algeria and then been way fresher for the knockout stage. Really feel like we would have beaten Ghana if we were a little more rested. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Zardes had a pretty criminal miss against Austin. It was so bad I honestly think that is pretty much case closed why he should never be considered for the USMNT A-Team.

I'm not sure he should be starting in the MLS.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That’s the one. Awful first touch. If this was a once in a while thing, I could forgive it. But has he ever had a good first touch?

18 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No, he has not.

You could take every good/great touch that Zardes has had, add them up into some cumulative SUPER TOUCH and it still would not be anywhere CLOSE that first touch on Benzema's first goal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

You could take every good/great touch that Zardes has had, add them up into some cumulative SUPER TOUCH and it still would not be anywhere CLOSE that first touch on Benzema's first goal.

Or that first goal from Italy on Saturday 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, Ted Lange said:

PEPI, DICK

I don't really even care if FC Dallas is good. Just sell as many players to Europe as possible.

FC Dallas should keep the Frisco base and have their USL club play there and then build a stadium near downtown (/IN downtown) and have the MLS team play downtown, but train up there in Frisco.

Single hipsters just getting off work go to soccer matches... along with a bazillion Latinos... not families with kids who play soccer. But families, whose kids play soccer can go see the USL (MLS 3) club in Frisco just like they go see the Rangers minor league club (AA?) play in Frisco across from the IKEA parking lot.

Was listening to a podcast about how Dallas, New England, & Chicago are all clubs who should matter, but absolutely don't matter at all in their market. NFL/ NBA/ MLB/ NHL have a lot to do with that, but also sending their teams out into suburban exile purgatory has a lot to do with that as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

PEPI, DICK

I don't really even care if FC Dallas is good. Just sell as many players to Europe as possible.

FC Dallas should keep the Frisco base and have their USL club play there and then build a stadium near downtown (/IN downtown) and have the MLS team play downtown, but train up there in Frisco.

Single hipsters just getting off work go to soccer matches... along with a bazillion Latinos... not families with kids who play soccer. But families, whose kids play soccer can go see the USL (MLS 3) club in Frisco just like they go see the Rangers minor league club (AA?) play in Frisco across from the IKEA parking lot.

Was listening to a podcast about how Dallas, New England, & Chicago are all clubs who should matter, but absolutely don't matter at all in their market. NFL/ NBA/ MLB/ NHL have a lot to do with that, but also sending their teams out into suburban exile purgatory has a lot to do with that as well.

It's a complicated history with FC Dallas. Moving to Frisco actually saved them from relocating but it also trapped them in the suburban exile purgatory you mentioned. They went cheap when they were looking to build and that's just their SOP. I think I saw a stat that in recent years they have had about $25 million selling players and have only reinvested like $11 million. I used to make several games a year, but I couldn't keep supporting such cheap ownership when new teams were and are having fantastic success making a name for themselves in other markets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

It's a complicated history with FC Dallas. Moving to Frisco actually saved them from relocating but it also trapped them in the suburban exile purgatory you mentioned. They went cheap when they were looking to build and that's just their SOP. I think I saw a stat that in recent years they have had about $25 million selling players and have only reinvested like $11 million. I used to make several games a year, but I couldn't keep supporting such cheap ownership when new teams were and are having fantastic success making a name for themselves in other markets. 

Yea fuck the Hunts for everything they do. Cheap fucks, first time in 7 years I didn't do season tickets not to mention the entire front office and security are lying shit bags about everything the supporters do.

Edited by Zepol87

It's official...

USMNT teen De La Fuente leaves Barcelona for Marseille

Nicholas Mendola
Tue, June 29, 2021, 3:22 PM

There could be another USMNT player in Europa League action next season, as Konrad de la Fuente has left boyhood club Barcelona for a new club

De la Fuente, who turns 20 in mid-July and earned his first USMNT cap in November, has been sold to Ligue 1 side Marseille for just under $3.6 million after joining Barca’s famed La Masia academy at age 11.

Barca will hold onto a portion of his future sell-on rights, the Catalan club announced on Tuesday. The figure doesn’t quite hit the rumored fee of $6 million, but Barca won’t mind the idea of making that up on the back end.

De la Fuente had Ronald Koeman as his boss and a legion of legendary Barcelona attackers in front of him to playing under Jorge Sampaoli, one of the more celebrated tacticians in the game.

Primary a left winger, De la Fuente joins highly-rated Brazilian teen Luis Henrique as young players in a talented but veteran Marseille attack corps; Dimitri Payet, Florian Thauvin, Arkadiusz Milik, Dario Benedetto, and Valere Germain are under contract at OM, with only two under the age of Milik and Thauvin.

While he leaves a La Liga that boasts USMNT talent Sergino Dest and Yunus Musah, he’ll join a Ligue 1 with an American amongst the reigning champs in Lille’s Timothy Weah.

De la Fuente and Dest became the first American teammates to appear on a Champions League pitch for the same team when Dest scored in a 4-0 win over Dynamo Kiev in November, but is yet to make his La Liga debut.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/usmnt-teen-la-fuente-leaves-202210215.html

His manager revealed that after the real estate agent showed Konrad some of the finest homes in Marseille, Konrad & his team confided that this was an offer than they couldn't turn down.

The favorite home of Konrad's reportedly is usually upwind from the tanker fuel loading dock in the months of September through May, before the winds change for June, July, & August when the player plans to vacate the city.

Container home.jpg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2021 at 9:47 AM, LurkingHorn said:

Man...I had totally blocked this from my memory. Just infuriating. The cascade effect from this moment really hurt us. If that goal would have counted, we could have rotated the squad for the third match against Algeria and then been way fresher for the knockout stage. Really feel like we would have beaten Ghana if we were a little more rested. 

Ha!  That's me as well.  I was all, "What the heck game is this?".  Upon watching the replay, I was all, "Dammit!  I remember that bullshit!".

• Hook 'Em 1

FINALLY, this kid has seen the light.

I'm happy that he made the smart decision.

Former USMNT prospect Ayo Akinola to play for Canadian national team after filing one-time switch

USATSI_12371725-e1601854178225.jpg?w=100

Ayo Akinola had the option of continuing his international career as a prospect in the ever-crowding striker pool with the U.S. Men’s National Team, or joining the blossoming Canadian national team program and representing the country where he spent his formative years.

In the end, Akinola chose Canada, with the Canadian Soccer Federation announcing on Wednesday that Akinola has successfully filed a Change of Association with FIFA and will be part of Canada’s squad for the upcoming Concacaf Gold Cup.

The former U.S. Under-17 and Under-20 striker made a combined 61 appearances for U.S. youth national teams since being identified as an international prospect, but the Detroit-born and Ontario-raised striker began garnering increased interest from the Canadian national team after his breakthrough performance for Toronto FC in the MLS is Back Tournament.

Ayo-Akinola-USMNT-1-e1625087607148.jpg?w

Akinola played on the U.S. Under-17 national team at the 2017 Under-17 World Cup, where he was teammates with current USMNT regulars Josh Sargent and Sergino Dest. He later played a key role in helping the United States win the 2018 Concacaf Under-20 Championship, and was expected to be a part of the 2019 U.S. Under-20 World Cup team before an injury ruled him out of contention.

Ayo-Akinola-USMNT-ISI-Photos-e1614158593

Akinola joins a Canadian national team that is arguably the strongest Canada has ever had, featuring stars Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Canada qualified for the final round of Concacaf World Cup qualifying for the first time since 1997.

The 21-year-old striker was on the USMNT radar, and earned a call-up to a camp with the United States last December, starting and scoring a goal in a 6-0 friendly win against El Salvador. Ultimately, Akinola still decided to play for Canada and could now wind up facing the United States in World Cup qualifying in September.

Akinola’s decision to play for Canada means one less name on the list of striker prospects for Gregg Berhalter and the USMNT, but that list still boasts a healthy number of promising prospects, including Josh Sargent, Jordan Pefok, Matthew Hoppe, Nicholas Gioacchini, Sebastian Soto, Ricardo Pepi and Haji Wright to name a few.*

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/06/former-usmnt-prospect-ayo-akinola-to-play-for-canadian-national-team-after-filing-one-time-switch

*How the writer of this article did not include DARYL Fucking DIKE is beyond me.

USMNT Gold Cup Squad Constructed to Build Out Depth, Win Another Trophy

Just four holdovers from last month's Concacaf Nations League title-winning side will take part in the Gold Cup, as Gregg Berhalter eyes targets both near and far.

Here’s the USMNT's Gold Cup roster:

Goalkeepers:
Brad Guzan (Atlanta United)
Sean Johnson (New York City FC)
Matt Turner (New England Revolution)

Defenders:
George Bello (Atlanta United)
Reggie Cannon (Boavista)
Shaq Moore (Tenerife)
Donovan Pines (D.C. United)
Miles Robinson (Atlanta United)
James Sands (New York City FC)
Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

Midfielders:
Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids)
Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City)
Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders)
Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers)
Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

Forwards:
Paul Arriola (D.C. United)
Daryl Dike (Orlando City)
Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen)
Matthew Hoppe (Schalke 04)
Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids)
Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/07/01/usmnt-gold-cup-roster-berhalter-squad-mls-hoppe-dike-lletget

Edited by Napoleon

This is the roster on which Tim Ream should've been listed. Are you reading this, Gergg?

So glad not to see Altidore. Not thrilled with Gyasi's inclusion, but it's impossible for me to hate him because at least he works hard and is always trying.

Surprised El Guzano is still in the mix. Will be watching Busio, Dike, Hoppe and Gioacchini with much interest. Overall, this group should at least get the U.S. to the semifinals.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This is the roster on which Tim Ream should've been listed. Are you reading this, Gergg?

So glad not to see Altidore. Not thrilled with Gyasi's inclusion, but it's impossible for me to hate him because at least he works hard and is always trying.

Surprised El Guzano is still in the mix. Will be watching Busio, Dike, Hoppe and Gioacchini with much interest. Overall, this group should at least get the U.S. to the semifinals.

Agreed.  As frustrating as Gyasi is, I still appreciate his effort and his weird ability to luck his way into goals on occasion.  

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think Clark may be an add on after the group stage. I can’t believe there is no Leon Flach. Would have liked to have seen Cowell but he won’t factor into this qualifying campaign so I won’t make a big stink. 

If Cowell doesn't move in January (I believe that he will), then I hope that he is the star of Camp Cupcake.

2 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think Clark may be an add on after the group stage. I can’t believe there is no Leon Flach. Would have liked to have seen Cowell but he won’t factor into this qualifying campaign so I won’t make a big stink. 

No add-ons, that rule was changed this year.   Clark was slated to make the roster according to GGG's press conference, but the injury is holding him out.

Players I was hoping to see that didnt make it, Pepi, Cowell, Flach, Che.  I have seen enough of Yueill, he was fine at Olympic Qualifying, vs U23 guys, he was bad in the NL, and has been worse in the MLS post NL.   Then there is J Lewis, what in the actual F, guy doesnt even start for the Rapids.   And Arriola?  He has been bad since returning to action from his injury,   

Give me Cowell over either of those clown wingers.   Heck I'd rather have Chris Mueller.    We are only taking 2 2 wingers and they both stink!   But according to GGG Hoppe and Gioacchini are on the roster as wingers. Um, OK?   

Really happy that Busio made it, aside from being a real rising star, in great form, he will also be far and away our best free kick taker, which in a tourney like this makes a difference.

If Yueill, Lewis are just bench fodder, then fine, but if they are getting a bunch of minutes....

My preferred X1 right now

----------DIKE

Hoppe----------Gioacchini 

----Williamson---Lletget

-------------Busio

Bello--Robinson-Zimmerman-Cannon

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Agreed.  As frustrating as Gyasi is, I still appreciate his effort and his weird ability to luck his way into goals on occasion.  

Fuck Gyasi. This isn’t Rudy. This isn’t about effort and trying. It’s about being talented and being able to get shit done. He fucking blows and has feet of stone. Ship his ass to the USL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

…Really happy that Busio made it, aside from being a real rising star, in great form, he will also be far and away our best free kick taker, which in a tourney like this makes a difference.

If Yueill, Lewis are just bench fodder, then fine, but if they are getting a bunch of minutes....

My preferred X1 right now

----------DIKE

Hoppe----------Gioacchini 

----Williamson---Lletget

-------------Busio

Bello--Robinson-Zimmerman-Cannon

1) Kellyn Acosta is the best American “free kick taker” and has been for the last 3-5 years. 

2) Kellyn is on this roster.

3) Busio is no better than the #2 free kick taker on this roster and hopefully gets an opportunity to take kicks if Kellyn has been subbed out…

…and since I would like to see Busio play the #6 for at least a chunk of time, they may not be on the field at the same time.

Edited by Napoleon

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Busio

Only one? I thought that you would bring more.

Over 4 years ago.

4. years ago yesterday (in a USA kit).

Busio's goal was a great goal. So now he has one great goal at the MLS level. He is likely the #2 free kick taker on the roster. (Freddy Adu could probably still match these guys on set pieces, but you wouldn't want him on the field.)

Acosta has long been seen as a set piece star, he just needs to be on the field to take the kicks.

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.14.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 4.14.29 AM.png

Meh, I just did a quick Twitter search there are plenty more.   Busio is nails.  

also.....

Report: FMF mulling having Women’s National Team play two games behind closed doors

A report in CANCHA alleges the Federation is considering having the women’s national team serve the punishment FIFA handed down for repeated use of el grito homófobo at men’s games

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2021/7/2/22560520/report-fmf-mulling-having-womens-national-team-play-two-games-behind-closed-doors-el-grito-homofobo

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Meh, I just did a quick Twitter search there are plenty more.   Busio is nails.  

also.....

Report: FMF mulling having Women’s National Team play two games behind closed doors

A report in CANCHA alleges the Federation is considering having the women’s national team serve the punishment FIFA handed down for repeated use of el grito homófobo at men’s games

https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2021/7/2/22560520/report-fmf-mulling-having-womens-national-team-play-two-games-behind-closed-doors-el-grito-homofobo

I don't know Spanish. But I am pretty sure that the chant I heard was "PUTOOOOO!!!" and not "PUTAAAAAA!!!"

As if it there weren't already enough reasons to hate Mexico Soccer.

17 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't know Spanish. But I am pretty sure that the chant I heard was "PUTOOOOO!!!" and not "PUTAAAAAA!!!"

As if it there weren't already enough reasons to hate Mexico Soccer.

Puta = Bitch / Whore

Puto = Fag

FMF = Complete tone deaf misogynistic pieces of shit

I love México and I like nearly all Mexicans I know, but holy crap I do not like their soccer team, their fans, or their federation. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 11:58 AM, Ted Lange said:

Players I was hoping to see that didnt make it, Pepi, Cowell, Flach, Che.  I have seen enough of Yueill, he was fine at Olympic Qualifying, vs U23 guys, he was bad in the NL, and has been worse in the MLS post NL.   Then there is J Lewis, what in the actual F, guy doesnt even start for the Rapids.   And Arriola?  He has been bad since returning to action from his injury,   

Give me Cowell over either of those clown wingers.   Heck I'd rather have Chris Mueller.    We are only taking 2 2 wingers and they both stink!   But according to GGG Hoppe and Gioacchini are on the roster as wingers. Um, OK?   

Well said.  Though, I wasn't impressed with Yeull during Olympic qualification.  I'm done with Lletget as well.