USMNT 2021

Napoleon

53 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

2026 is our World Cup to get back to the quarters and push for the semis. The pieces will all be there. Hopefully the manager is in place. Cuz it ain’t Gregg. 

The positive is that there are several managers who could work with what we have in our talent pool after the 2022 World Cup to take us far, but the negative is that US Soccer has shown that they will not make one of the numerous “right choice”s.

If they have to stay with an American, then whose-its in Columbus or one of the two guys in Germany should be the only choices, but there is ZERO reason not to look outside of the USA. 

13 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

That would be a really bad move for Adams. Pipe dream but he should wait for Chelsea to sell Jorginho and then make the move to Chelsea.

I love Adams but he is not Chelsea quality. Chelsea signs $40-$70M talents whenever they want. Adams isn't that yet. 

I was looking at ESPN FC's YouTube highlights from the Costa Rica game and the Reyna "penalty" foul was such a fucking joke. It was pure CONCACAF Latino Bullshit that a CONCACAF Latino from the USA was pulling over on a CONCACAF foe.

I have set up the video right before the foul, but Reyna sees that he's surrounded and kind of fucked, so he tucks and lunges sideways into the midsection of the oncoming defender and then crumbles to the ground like he'd be stabbed in the appendix. He should have received a yellow for simulation, but instead he was awarded a PK and crushed his opportunity.

Watch it a few times. It's embarrassingly humorous after all of the shitty calls that the US has suffered through over the last 30+ years.

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I was looking at ESPN FC's YouTube highlights from the Costa Rica game and the Reyna "penalty" foul was such a fucking joke. It was pure CONCACAF Latino Bullshit that a CONCACAF Latino from the USA was pulling over on a CONCACAF foe.

I have set up the video right before the foul, but Reyna sees that he's surrounded and kind of fucked, so he tucks and lunges sideways into the midsection of the oncoming defender and then crumbles to the ground like he'd be stabbed in the appendix. He should have received a yellow for simulation, but instead he was awarded a PK and crushed his opportunity.

Watch it a few times. It's embarrassingly humorous after all of the shitty calls that the US has suffered through over the last 30+ years.

I didn't think it was a PK either. But 3-0 vs. 4-0 - who cares. 

Also CONCACAF didn't call the Pulisic one on the field and had to go to VAR so fuck 'em.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Watch it a few times. It's embarrassingly humorous after all of the shitty calls that the US has suffered through over the last 30+ years

Yeah uh... I'm not sure what you're watching. Reyna heads the ball backwards, sticks his foot out to control the ball, and the Costa Rican defender is trying to clear the ball but instead just blasts him in the shin/leg making zero contact with the ball. 

It's a very clear penalty and there was basically zero argument about if from Costa Rica.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Yeah uh... I'm not sure what you're watching. Reyna heads the ball backwards, sticks his foot out to control the ball, and the Costa Rican defender is trying to clear the ball but instead just blasts him in the shin/leg making zero contact with the ball. 

It's a very clear penalty and there was basically zero argument about if from Costa Rica.

I was watching Gio LUNGE into the Costa Rican. 

Perhaps your YouTube cut out right as he lowers his body and then lunges into the oncoming defender before falling to the ground like he’s been shot. 

Try reloading the video so that you can see what I’m watching. It’s classic CONCACAF. 

46 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I was watching Gio LUNGE into the Costa Rican. 

Perhaps your YouTube cut out right as he lowers his body and then lunges into the oncoming defender before falling to the ground like he’s been shot. 

Try reloading the video so that you can see what I’m watching. It’s classic CONCACAF. 

You are talking about what happens after the dude kicks through his leg. Yes, after the Costa Rican player misses the ball entirely and kicks through Reyna's leg, he awkwardly hops to the side and into another Costa Rican player. That is after the foul to give the penalty occurred.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, goatsaag said:

16 hours ago, goatsaag said:

You are talking about what happens after the dude kicks through his leg. Yes, after the Costa Rican player misses the ball entirely and kicks through Reyna's leg, he awkwardly hops to the side and into another Costa Rican player. That is after the foul to give the penalty occurred.

Dude... what the hell are you talking about? Gio doesn't even have possession when contact occurs. You are allowed to jostle for position even inside the box which is exactly what occurred. I love Gio but he pulled a Dwyane Wade by leaning into the defender and making it look like excessive contact. 

Gio did not have the ball. He was not on a breakaway with one defender to beat. The contact was not dangerous. It's a ticky tack penalty especially considering it was 3-0. Let them play and don't reward shit like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude... what the hell are you talking about? Gio doesn't even have possession when contact occurs. You are allowed to jostle for position even inside the box which is exactly what occurred. I love Gio but he pulled a Dwyane Wade by leaning into the defender and making it look like excessive contact

Gio did not have the ball. He was not on a breakaway with one defender to beat. The contact was not dangerous. It's a ticky tack penalty especially considering it was 3-0. Let them play and don't reward shit like that. 

I’m glad at least one guy on this thread hasn’t gone FULL RE[G]ARD.

You never want to go FULL RE[G]ARD.

It's honestly hard to believe how stupid you guys are @Napoleon and @ztejas after I have explained exactly what happened.

Go to the video @Napoleon linked above, go to 3:18 in the video, set the playback speed to .25, and make it full screen since you are both fucking blind. Watch player #19 on Costa Rica. Watch him entirely miss the ball, kick Reyna (looks like it was actually closer to the ankle than the shin), Reyna take a hop not putting weight on the leg that was kicked, jump into the other Costa Rican player, and then go to the ground holding his ankle/leg that was kicked.

No flop there, you are just morons.

• Hook 'Em 1

Get him to the Greek Italia!

But not before repping the red, white, and blue in the Gold Cup! 

Check out these financial assets:

I know he was bad in Jason Kreis's squad (then again who wasn't?), but he really should be the back up '6' option behind Tyler Adams.

As long as it is the 1st-tier of a Top 5 League (and yes, we're waiting!)

Yes, we need Christian Pulisic (in ways and places more than one) to advance USMNT soccer.

Our boy Pulisic is in good company

Choose wisely, Tyler. The USMNT needs you getting consistent minutes at the '6'. Otherwise, get paid young man!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

It's honestly hard to believe how stupid you guys are @Napoleon and @ztejas after I have explained exactly what happened.

Go to the video @Napoleon linked above, go to 3:18 in the video, set the playback speed to .25, and make it full screen since you are both fucking blind. Watch player #19 on Costa Rica. Watch him entirely miss the ball, kick Reyna (looks like it was actually closer to the ankle than the shin), Reyna take a hop not putting weight on the leg that was kicked, jump into the other Costa Rican player, and then go to the ground holding his ankle/leg that was kicked.

I don't really care about this enough to continue debating it. I think both sides have made their thoughts clear on the play in question. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, goatsaag said:

This is what I see. I see #19 fouling (the kick) Gio and him falling over into #4. Where the ref gets it wrong is that he cards #4 when #19 was the offender. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This is what I see. I see #19 fouling (the kick) Gio and him falling over into #4. Where the ref gets it wrong is that he cards #4 when #19 was the offender. 

So you’re saying that the lunge into the oncoming defender is what draws the PK. I agree…

…as does everyone else, but one poster. 👍

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

$10.00m for Aaronson is a fucking steal. Won't be surprised to see a window similar to Weston where we hear mid level teams interested, then all of a sudden he lands at a massive club or even someone like Leicester City.

Transfermarkt values are generally low.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:59 PM, Napoleon said:

The positive is that there are several managers who could work with what we have in our talent pool after the 2022 World Cup to take us far, but the negative is that US Soccer has shown that they will not make one of the numerous “right choice”s.

If they have to stay with an American, then whose-its in Columbus or one of the two guys in Germany should be the only choices, but there is ZERO reason not to look outside of the USA. 

Am I wrong in thinking that the players really seem to like Berhalter? I don't think much of his as a coach and didn't like the hire, but the players seem to really like him so far.

Spent two weeks out of pocket and couldn't wait to check this thread when I got home last night. Thought for sure there'd be multiple trolls from @JNip. Guess he was too busy fighting family members.

Anyway, what a nutzo--yet strangely awesome!--final. Often bewildering, frequently frustrating, and always entertaining.

• As raw and imperfect as our young players are, these recent performances underscore why we've been so giddy with anticipation over this potential golden generation. There was more collective skill on the pitch versus Mexico than at any previous point in USMNT history. I write that without fear of exaggeration or negkakke.
  • Both of these sides are terrible in back. However, I believe the USMNT's issues are somewhat fixable if Gergg pulls his head out of his ass and stops playing favorites. First order of business is to never again field Ream at left back. He's a serviceable central defender adequate for lesser fixtures like the Gold Cup but should not be getting minutes in top-tier internationals. Youth (and talent ... and athleticism) must be served.
  • Beerholder also needs to wake up and stop trying to build from the back every possession. As talented as we are up top and in midfield, the skill and composure for our defense to tiki-taka its way out of high pressure isn't there.
  • I've watched the match twice now and still have no clue what the Panamanian ref was doing. Not sure he does, either. Listing every example of his ineptitude/inconsistency would longcat this page, so I'll limit it to one: Brooks gets cautioned in the 5th minute for a routinely harmless foul (and probably some backtalk), yet Herrera twice goes in late and studs up and only sees a single yellow.
  • Not sold on Steffen or Sargent. Zach has looked shaky at times, like the moment was getting too big for him. Was thinking this even before his injury and Horvath's heroics. And I love Josh's workrate and versatility, but as someone else noted, he's gone eight-straight caps without scoring. He's going to be a big part of future USMNT success, but he needs some time on the bench to figure things out.
  • El Tri fans are the worst. This is not debatable. I like watching Mexico and celebrate its general style when players aren't acting like bitches or trying to choke out opponents, but their fans seem unable to simply show up and enjoy the product on the field. The league needs to take action. We know it won't, but something--like making El Tri play home WCQ in empty stadiums--should be done. For the record, I don't give a shit about the "Puto!" jeers, but player safety is paramount.
  • And finally, Aaronson is a future star. Vision, touch, tenacity--the young man has it. Order your custom-tailored jerseys while you can.

Anyway, forgive the keyboard diarrhea. So much going on right now, had to catch up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Spent two weeks out of pocket and couldn't wait to check this thread when I got home last night. Thought for sure there'd be multiple trolls from @JNip. Guess he was too busy fighting family members.

Anyway, what a nutzo--yet strangely awesome!--final. Often bewildering, frequently frustrating, and always entertaining.

• As raw and imperfect as our young players are, these recent performances underscore why we've been so giddy with anticipation over this potential golden generation. There was more collective skill on the pitch versus Mexico than at any previous point in USMNT history. I write that without fear of exaggeration or negkakke.
  • Both of these sides are terrible in back. However, I believe the USMNT's issues are somewhat fixable if Gergg pulls his head out of his ass and stops playing favorites. First order of business is to never again field Ream at left back. He's a serviceable central defender adequate for lesser fixtures like the Gold Cup but should not be getting minutes in top-tier internationals. Youth (and talent ... and athleticism) must be served.
  • Beerholder also needs to wake up and stop trying to build from the back every possession. As talented as we are up top and in midfield, the skill and composure for our defense to tiki-taka its way out of high pressure isn't there.
  • I've watched the match twice now and still have no clue what the Panamanian ref was doing. Not sure he does, either. Listing every example of his ineptitude/inconsistency would longcat this page, so I'll limit it to one: Brooks gets cautioned in the 5th minute for a routinely harmless foul (and probably some backtalk), yet Herrera twice goes in late and studs up and only sees a single yellow.
  • Not sold on Steffen or Sargent. Zach has looked shaky at times, like the moment was getting too big for him. Was thinking this even before his injury and Horvath's heroics. And I love Josh's workrate and versatility, but as someone else noted, he's gone eight-straight caps without scoring. He's going to be a big part of future USMNT success, but he needs some time on the bench to figure things out.
  • El Tri fans are the worst. This is not debatable. I like watching Mexico and celebrate its general style when players aren't acting like bitches or trying to choke out opponents, but their fans seem unable to simply show up and enjoy the product on the field. The league needs to take action. We know it won't, but something--like making El Tri play home WCQ in empty stadiums--should be done. For the record, I don't give a shit about the "Puto!" jeers, but player safety is paramount.
  • And finally, Aaronson is a future star. Vision, touch, tenacity--the young man has it. Order your custom-tailored jerseys while you can.

Anyway, forgive the keyboard diarrhea. So much going on right now, had to catch up.

Good stuff can’t say I disagree with any of that, especially the L Tri fans being shitbags. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Johnny needs a chance with the senior MNT. I think he would be a decent '6'.

I love FC Dallas. They know their role and it's not for MLS, it's for something bigger....the USMNT. Thank you Dallas, lol.

They're like the Ajax of the MLS. 

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

This kid is living a tough live. From Barça to the beaches of Marseille at the age of 19 with maybe $1+ million in his pocket while still trying to crack the 1st team. 

You know how I know that you don't know much about Marseille?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I wasn't meaning to compare their on the field product. Simply the phenomenon of players being bought out from under them before they can actually win anything at the club. 

Ajax rarely sells players before they've played for a while in the first team to maximize their value. Dallas sold Richards prior to his first team debut and is doing the same with Che.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Ajax rarely sells players before they've played for a while in the first team to maximize their value. Dallas sold Richards prior to his first team debut and is doing the same with Che.

Yep, Suarez was with Ajax for 4 years and Zlatan for 3. 

• Hook 'Em 1