Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

• 1 month later...

Shamelessly bumping this for the Oaks Dad's Club cookoff event going on this weekend if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.odcsports.com/2022bbqcookoff

I referenced earlier in this thread, but always a fun time Friday night into Saturday morning (when the actual event starts)- several of us here participating in the cookoff. Saturday's admission gets you a plate from Gatlin's BBQ, free St Arnold's beer and lots of stuff for the little ones to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:27 PM, elfenix said:

is that a dunkin going in at the old carl's jr on the ella fast food extravaganza?

That drive-thru is the worst place on the planet.  You can be the only one in line and you pull up to the window and they ask you what you ordered? 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, Storm the Field said:

Looking forward to La Calle as well, but no interior work had been done the last time I passed by, which seems to be pretty commonplace these days. A "coming soon" sign will go up and then absolutely no construction happens for 6 months or a year. 

Ugh, same. Hurry tf up. 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, Storm the Field said:

Mellow Mushroom vacated their spot at 20th and Shepherd and are being replaced by another pizza chain with several locations in the burbs.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-15-21-crust-pizza-co-new-location-the-heights-n-shepherd-drive/

Crust is fucking legit fucking Chicago thin crust.  They have a few up by my folks (on the NW side in Spring/Klein/Tomball) and it's a fave.  Very excited for this. 

La Calle shouldn't be too far away from opening. I was at that shopping center one afternoon about a week ago and noticed a bunch of workers on site. The interior buildout looked pretty close to complete. 

Also, not exactly a major addition to the neighborhood, but if you like cheap, fast Asian food, the new Sichuan Pepper place on Shepherd just opened last week and the prices are excellent for what you get.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dhornf said:

Anyone know what is going in at the thomas bbq on 610/Ella?  They seem to be paving a big parking area.  Happy that place is out.  Never went, but heard horror stories about what the served.

Worked in that tower behind it for 3 years. Could have walked there in 1 minute. Never once crossed my mind to even consider eating there. The type of place you could tell was absolute shit just from looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of updates on  seemingly never-ending projects that have been discussed previously in this thread:

Grease Monkey (Petrol Station) put some new posts on their IG page for the first time in ~6 months. Still just says "Opening in 2022" and a recent post said "we'll share opening updates whenver we get them." I imagine still months away as the Wakefield construction clusterfuck drags on.

https://www.instagram.com/greasemonkeybar/

Cherry Block (steakhouse/butcher shop opening at Stomping Grounds) recently dusted off their IG as well. Picture of some construction at their Stomping Grounds location a few weeks ago and a video of their smoker in transit a few days ago.

https://www.instagram.com/cherryblockhou/

LuLoo's (sandwich shop/bakery from Blood Bros. at Stomping Grounds) appears to also finally be under construction.

https://www.instagram.com/luloosbakeshop/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw an update about Stomping Grounds on FB today. According to the developer:

There are currently 4 restaurants under construction and 3 additional tenants are in lease negotiations (one mentioned as a "wine concept"). The spaces currently under construction are tentatively scheduled to open sometime between May and July.

Shoot the Moon (self-serve pizza and beer) is not one of the spots under construction and has pulled out.  

On 12/8/2021 at 8:51 AM, elfenix said:

Hattie B's coming to the Shepherd-18th plex. Building a new building so not open until mid 2023

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-08-21-hattie-bs-hot-chicken-nashville-houston-location-the-heights/

Construction permit granted. Expected start date in September, completion in May 2023.

I'll take the over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, Storm the Field said:

Savoir is converting its bar area into a steakhouse and opening a cocktail bar in the former Taqo restaurant across the street.

https://houston.eater.com/2022/3/8/22966181/pattons-steakhouse-houston-new-restauraunt-opening-heights-savoir

The new bar is called Heights & Co. and is scheduled to open next Thursday.

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/nibbles-sips-new-cocktail-bar-opening-soon-in-heights/article_60cb2844-c496-11ec-aec9-839d1e7911ea.html

La Calle shouldn't be too far away from opening.

Saw a post on FB that it's open as of this morning.

I avoid GO neighborhood drama but I see everyone is up in arms about new-ish city regulations requiring new builds to put in sidewalks but allow for the potential of exemptions. It does create drainage problems in that the sidewalks are between the road and ditch (swale.) 

GO needs to drop the ditches/swales. Or move them closer to the street with a sidewalk between the swale and house. Of course, every home owner sees that as encroachment on their front lawn.  Regardless GO is fighting a losing battle. 

Personally I'm surprised we haven't had a pedestrian killed in GO in that they have to walk in the road and around cars parked on the street.

Pat, I noticed that they were pouring several new sections of pavement on Wakefield near GH yesterday. Guessing not too too much longer until y'all have full access again?

Also, I was walking my dogs down that way the other day and saw that the lot to your east is now a large paid parking lot. I guess Lange Mechanical sold their equipment lot? Should make parking for all the Wakefield bars more feasible.

^ Is walking stick any good? None of my friends say it is so I've always stayed away. GH on the other hand goes hard in the paint but we already knew that.

Speaking of, I saw La Calle opened up a couple weeks ago, probably too soon to compare to the one downtown but for anyone who has been to both (tacos), what are your thoughts.  Absolutely love the one downtown

^ Is walking stick any good? None of my friends say it is so I've always stayed away. GH on the other hand goes hard in the paint but we already knew that.
Speaking of, I saw La Calle opened up a couple weeks ago, probably too soon to compare to the one downtown but for anyone who has been to both (tacos), what are your thoughts.  Absolutely love the one downtown

Yes. It’s a good spot. I like the place better than the beer though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Nivek said:

Yes. It’s a good spot. I like the place better than the beer though.

Bingo. They put a lot of money into the place. It's got a ton of nice outdoor seating, family friendly, usually a variety of food trucks on site...etc.

The beers are very meh outside of their standard ESB. GH runs circles around them as far as what goes in the glass.

19 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Bingo. They put a lot of money into the place. It's got a ton of nice outdoor seating, family friendly, usually a variety of food trucks on site...etc.

The beers are very meh outside of their standard ESB. GH runs circles around them as far as what goes in the glass.

agree with you and @Nivek but when I go to a place like GH or Walking Stick it's normally because of the people I'm with not the beer.

agree with you and [mention=125]Nivek[/mention] but when I go to a place like GH or Walking Stick it's normally because of the people I'm with not the beer.

Just as long as the beer isn’t horrible I tend to agree. There was that place that had bad beer and switched to just making cider…..

• 4 weeks later...

Greg Gatlin is gonna be the latest to try and make a restaurant work in that building on the corner of Crosstimbers and Old Yale. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-31-22-gatlins-fins-and-feathers-new-restaurant-independence-heights-greg-gatlin/#slide=0

Gatlin's BBQ owner Greg Gatlin will open Gatlin's Fins & Feathers in Independence Heights next month. 

Located in a former Mexican restaurant at 302 W. Crosstimbers St., Gatlin's Fins & Feathers will feature fried chicken, Gulf Coast seafood, and other comfort fare. Expect dishes such as gumbo, char-grilled oysters, and blackened fish to join buckets of fried chicken on the menu. The restaurant will be open for lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, Storm the Field said:

The proliferation of bars and breweries on Wakefield has now spread to Judiway. There's a new "neighborhood patio bar" called The Canary under construction behind Walking Stick, next door to Bayou City Crossfit. 

https://www.instagram.com/thecanaryhou/

What they've been building is significantly bigger than the original renderings. Apparently this place will have a swimming pool as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeE4kRFJg26/

CultureMap has a big "upcoming restaurants" out today with numerous places in Heights and GOOF.

Cherry Block Craft Butcher and Kitchen
On pace for a July opening, this casual steakhouse in Garden Oaks’ Stomping Grounds development will expand on what Cherry Block offered at Bravery Chef Hall with an wider array of dishes made with Texas-raised meats as well as a beverage program curated by owner Felix Florez, who once worked as a sommelier at Brennan’s of Houston. Gin Design Group’s plans for the space include a retail grab-and-go area, a range of seating options, and a covered patio that looks out onto the Stomping Grounds’s expansive green space.

Daddy’s Chicken Shack
The California-based restaurant will makes its debut in a former dry cleaners at the intersection of N. Shepherd Dr. and W. 11th St. Developed by chef and native Houstonian Pace Webb and her husband Chris Georgalas, the menu features chicken sandwiches, chicken and waffles, breakfast sandwiches, nuggets, and salads along with vegan coconut curry-brined cauliflower. It is expected to open in late summer.

Dinette
The team behind Hando is working on this Vietnamese restaurant that will open in the same Heights shopping center as Crawfish Cafe later this summer.

Untitled Goode Co. Restaurant
Despite some signs of construction at the former Down House space on Yale, the Houston hospitality group declined CultureMap’s request to comment on its plans for the building that it leased last summer.

Heights Social
Drift Bar owner Zach Harris will open this adjacent bar in the fall, which means that, yes, it’s actually in Shady Acres. The massive new spot will feature more than 50 TVs plus a 40-foot LED wall. Drink options will be centered around draft cocktails and an extensive selection of martinis.

Luloo’s Day & Night
The owners of Blood Bros. BBQ — James Beard Award finalist and pitmaster Quy Hoang along with brothers Robin and Terry Wong — have teamed up with pastry chef Alyssa Dole (Agricole Hospitality, The Kirby Group) on this sandwich shop and bakery that will open this summer at the Stomping Grounds development in Garden Oaks. Dole will oversee a commercial baking operation that’s already producing breads and sweets for restaurants across Houston. Blood Bros is well known for its creative sandwiches that utilize smoked meats, including the smoked turkey banh mi, tri-tip pastrami, and the Pig Moe — a grilled cheese sandwich made with pulled pork, mozzarella, provolone, and a blueberry-habañero barbecue sauce.

Mala Sichuan Bistro - MKT
Heights residents may only be a few weeks away from dining on mapo tofu, red oil dumplings, water boiled fish, and all the other signature items that have made Mala Sichuan one of Houston’s most acclaimed Chinese restaurants. Co-owner Heng Chen tells CultureMap that he and his wife and busy partner Cory Xiong are aiming to open by the end of this month.

Rooster & Rice
Opening in the Stomping Grounds development this summer, this San Francisco-based concept serves variations on Khao Mun Gai, Thai-style chicken and rice. The restaurant’s speed, affordability, and consistency have made it a hit; now Houstonians will get to experience the restaurant and decide for themselves. 

The Upside Pub
Coming this summer to the former Tres Amigos space in Garden Oaks, this bar aims to be a casual, come-as-you-are spot for beer, food, and cocktails. Look for an eclectic menu that includes housemade queso and chicken wings along with items that draw on the couple's roots in New Jersey and California such as shrimp rolls and burritos. Co-owner Paige Lujan will curate the bar’s 15 taps of craft beer.

• Hook 'Em 2

nice, i was at fat cat on monday and saw a lot of things in the storefronts that looked like they were actually thinking about maybe, possibly opening soon. i thought rooster and rice was actually opened since people were in/out and had food listings on their screens but think they're still getting set up. looking forward to upside pub and the upgrade that was the abomination of tres amigos, just turrible. i liked shepherd park draught house. 

stomping grounds is gonna be a nice addition once it's finally finished

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

nice, i was at fat cat on monday and saw a lot of things in the storefronts that looked like they were actually thinking about maybe, possibly opening soon. i thought rooster and rice was actually opened since people were in/out and had food listings on their screens but think they're still getting set up. looking forward to upside pub and the upgrade that was the abomination of tres amigos, just turrible. i liked shepherd park draught house. 

stomping grounds is gonna be a nice addition once it's finally finished

I saw on FB that R&R opens to the public tomorrow. I drove by leaving the Y this morning and there were a good 5-6 different crews working on various parts of Stomping Grounds. Cherry Block looks almost done and I can't imagine it won't be open by late summer.

I haven't found any websites or social media pages, but there's supposed to be a sushi spot called Sora going in next to Luloo's and the space is actively under construction. Also, Sonoma Wine Bar will be relocating to SG at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the Chronicle yesterday about Stomping Grounds that mentioned some new restaurant tenants moving in later this year. The ones below I hadn't heard about yet. 

https://www.chron.com/food/article/stomping-grounds-garden-oaks-houston-open-17274383.php

Pho Fix

The owners of Crawfish Cafe will soon open the first full-service location of their Vietnamese concept, Pho Fix, which currently operates as a stall at Underground food hall downtown. Guests can expect a menu of noodle soups and banh mi sandwiches, plus a full bar.

Bollo Pizza

A second location of this popular River Oaks pizzeria will open at the Stomping Grounds at the end of 2022. This outpost will be smaller, with a simple menu of pizza and sides, available for takeout only.

Mystery sushi restaurant

A local sushi operator that has yet to be named will open a Japanese restaurant this fall. The concept will have a full bar and a mezzanine for private dining.

Also, saw yesterday that Cherry Block said they're doing final inspections and should be open very soon. 

36 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

There was an article in the Chronicle yesterday about Stomping Grounds that mentioned some new restaurant tenants moving in later this year. The ones below I hadn't heard about yet. 

https://www.chron.com/food/article/stomping-grounds-garden-oaks-houston-open-17274383.php

Pho Fix

The owners of Crawfish Cafe will soon open the first full-service location of their Vietnamese concept, Pho Fix, which currently operates as a stall at Underground food hall downtown. Guests can expect a menu of noodle soups and banh mi sandwiches, plus a full bar.

Bollo Pizza

A second location of this popular River Oaks pizzeria will open at the Stomping Grounds at the end of 2022. This outpost will be smaller, with a simple menu of pizza and sides, available for takeout only.

Mystery sushi restaurant

A local sushi operator that has yet to be named will open a Japanese restaurant this fall. The concept will have a full bar and a mezzanine for private dining.

Also, saw yesterday that Cherry Block said they're doing final inspections and should be open very soon. 

On a related note Pho Ben, in the Kroger shopping center at 11th and Shepherd, is legit. At first I was skeptical of a restaurant that is bookended by SuperCuts and O'Reillys but its definitely in my rotation now.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On a related note Pho Ben, in the Kroger shopping center at 11th and Shepherd, is legit. At first I was skeptical of a restaurant that is bookended by SuperCuts and O'Reillys but its definitely in my rotation now.

Pho Ben is solid. Me and a couple guys from work go probably twice a month. We've determined it's the best taste to cost ratio among the various Vietnamese options in the neighborhood. There are cheaper places and places with better food, but nowhere with food that good for that cheap.

And yes, I initially avoided it based on its location in that strip center. It is way nicer and bigger inside than one would guess from the outside.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you even Pho? The best spots are always in shitty strip malls. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, dhornf said:

Anyone know what is going in at the thomas bbq on 610/Ella?  They seem to be paving a big parking area.  Happy that place is out.  Never went, but heard horror stories about what the served.

That location is now a Hungry Farmer. Soul food chain that also has some BBQ items (chopped beef, ribs...etc). A poster on the Heights Foodies FB group had a rave review today. Their oxtail special on the weekends looks like something I would enjoy. Might actually check them out one day.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend Sao Lao on N. Shepherd south of St. Pius high school. Thai-Laotian food. Not a big menu but I appreciate a place that sticks to great 1 page menu.

This. It’s right around the corner from me, and they’ve yet to fuck anything up. Damn good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, Storm the Field said:

That location is now a Hungry Farmer. Soul food chain that also has some BBQ items (chopped beef, ribs...etc). A poster on the Heights Foodies FB group had a rave review today. Their oxtail special on the weekends looks like something I would enjoy. Might actually check them out one day.

I checked out Hungry Farmer and ordered the standard of a brisket/links plate. Overall I will give them an C+ grade and would be willing to give them another opportunity. The default drenching the brisket in sauce started off bad to me, but then I realized the brisket was fairly dry so it needed extra bbq sauce. I’m not anti-sauce but I like to decide how much to apply. I also not a fan of thinly sliced brisket.

The links were good and I would give them an A+ on the sides. For the bbq restaurants in the area I’ve frequented I would set them above gabbys, behind demeris and way behind Gatlins.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I checked out Hungry Farmer and ordered the standard of a brisket/links plate. Overall I will give them an C+ grade and would be willing to give them another opportunity. The default drenching the brisket in sauce started off bad to me, but then I realized the brisket was fairly dry so it needed extra bbq sauce. I’m not anti-sauce but I like to decide how much to apply. I also not a fan of thinly sliced brisket.

The links were good and I would give them an A+ on the sides. For the bbq restaurants in the area I’ve frequented I would set them above gabbys, behind demeris and way behind Gatlins.

Yeah, I don't see myself ever going there for bbq, but maybe for their soul food and sides. 

10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, I don't see myself ever going there for bbq, but maybe for their soul food and sides. 

it’s subjective but I didn’t get a soul food vibe from their menu. Admittedly they do have oxtails as a weekend special and fried fish. However it’s a standard bbq restaurant.