All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Core PCE was right on target today at 2.0%.  (Last 4 quarters were 5.0%, 3.7%, 2.0% and 2.0%.)

Today was Core PCE prices for (Q4)

The past releases were

image.png.a8c93c0512ce8fcbf4cae24ce5b8111e.png

@Wulaw Horn is talking about Core PCE Index (YoY), which will be released tomorrow morning at 8:30am EST and the forecast is 3.0%. 

image.png.0cb1a0e6082e009f40f295b6afdc858e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2024 at 11:22 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I never said it was in Austin. I said I’d guess his preferred or typical client is in Austin. This property was in Georgetown.  

Just out of curiosity, would you still feel as good about the transaction if you found out you left $14k of price on the table?

44 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just out of curiosity, would you still feel as good about the transaction if you found out you left $14k of price on the table?

Well no, obviously.  But where are you coming up with that figure?

Does it cost me 4.5% in realtor fees to get that additional 3.5 in sales price?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well no, obviously.  But where are you coming up with that figure?

Does it cost me 4.5% in realtor fees to get that additional 3.5 in sales price?

Obviously I don’t know your specific situation. But I work in the real estate business and see all the time things that cost sellers and buyers tens of thousands of dollars and they don’t even realize it.

For example, sellers being shown pricing comps and recommendations that are poorly done. Or selling agents who aren’t responsive, causing buyers to move on. There are another dozen examples I could give.

It’s great you got a very low price to sell your house. And maybe financially it was a great deal. But it might be difficult for many folks to really know whether they netted the maximum funds or not.

I guess the last thing I would say is if someone is willing to do that work for such a small fee, it does raise some questions about the quality of representation you are getting, and what risks you are being exposed to without realizing it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

In my specific case, I did not get comps from the realtor.  I got them from the appraiser that appraised the home when we bought it. 

initial comps over the summer had us in the 440 range but by the time we had the house ready, and then had the hail problem in October that hat to be fixed, we asked him for an update and rates had pushed values down 10%.  

might recover for this summer and we sold at a market dip/correction but we can’t always choose when to sell.

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I guess the last thing I would say is if someone is willing to do that work for such a small fee, it does raise some questions about the quality of representation you are getting, and what risks you are being exposed to without realizing it.  

Just because someone is charging less, doesn’t mean the quality of representation is less 

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just because someone is charging less, doesn’t mean the quality of representation is less 

That’s why I said it raises questions, rather than just saying it was less. 

I got my license originally because agents I dealt with were terrible and not worth the money being paid. So I get the general concept of trying to save money and being fed up with realtors.

I only do deals for friends or friends of friends if I’m not busy with management consulting. Having been in the business for several years now, I learned many little actions and non-actions make a huge difference in how much money actually ends up in the pocket of a seller or how much a buyer has to pay. Or what quagmire of legal trouble one can find themselves in due to a incompetent rep.

It doesn’t mean that 3% on a million dollar home is fair. It just means you have to be careful to not hire someone who ends up costing you money. It’s just like hiring a lawyer or accountant. You can go really cheap, and find yourself in trouble.

The labor market in most industries are  relatively efficient in terms of pay vs competency, notwithstanding major industry discontinuities like AI, etc.

I have no idea if Pato maxed out. He may have done fine. Just like someone hiring a cheap accountant. They may do fine. 

What raised the question for me was .5%. At 1 or 2 %, quality realtors will often do that. Heck I agree to attractive rates for a lot for people. 

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Core PCE comes in cooler at 2.9%

image.png.f5e019d89bb87ef09dd02d8915f89319.png

Edit: 10 year up 1.5 basis points. I don't get it

Me either. Everything was as expected to good news. I would expect 25 basis point improvement today in the mbs market. We are down 1 point. Huh. Interested to see the dig in beyond the headline numbers. 

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Core PCE comes in cooler at 2.9%

image.png.f5e019d89bb87ef09dd02d8915f89319.png

Edit: 10 year up 1.5 basis points. I don't get it

I may be making this up, but I swear we’ve seen several times the bond market go the exact wrong direction from news, then reverse shortly thereafter and go the direction they should. It might be just like earnings announcements on stocks. People sell the news, or cover shorts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I may be making this up, but I swear we’ve seen several times the bond market go the exact wrong direction from news, then reverse shortly thereafter and go the direction they should. It might be just like earnings announcements on stocks. People sell the news, or cover shorts. 

Late in the week and month is finicky too

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

From weird to shitty.  Down 35 now for who knows why.  I expect to get a phone call from Habib in T minus 3, 2, 1...

Thankfully I locked my one guy before our reprice for the worse. I didn’t trust what was happening. 

And yeah, what the F was the 35 down minute or two there? Weird as shit 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Down .05 already. Feel like this is gonna be a solid week. Wouldn’t mind being below 4.00 by EOM Wednesday 

Not according to Habib this morning.  Already warning about a big and unexpected number of job reports but saying that it will ultimately be revised downward.  He had explanation for why that is specific to January with seasonally adjusted inflation and also they sort of rework all of the prior year into that January report. I wasn't really tracking and then moved on.  He seems to be predicting gas surging up with trouble in the Red Sea, blah blah blah.  but then- ended it with- go ahead and float- so who knows.  

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not according to Habib this morning.  Already warning about a big and unexpected number of job reports but saying that it will ultimately be revised downward.  He had explanation for why that is specific to January with seasonally adjusted inflation and also they sort of rework all of the prior year into that January report. I wasn't really tracking and then moved on.  He seems to be predicting gas surging up with trouble in the Red Sea, blah blah blah.  but then- ended it with- go ahead and float- so who knows.  

Ah yes, the first rule of fortune cookie writing is to allude to two opposite outcomes so your predictions are never wrong.  

• Haha 1

SIAP. Late to the party but interesting CNN article on how the capital gains tax amounts on house sales, set in the 90s, is a factor in people not selling.

I dislike how Congress continually sets amount or rates but refuses to tie them to CPI or something to account for the future value of money.

I'm single and have lived in my home for 20 years. Luckily I would realize a fairly nice profit if I sold but since I've surpassed 250K in profit, I would have to share my profit with the govt. It's ridiculous that this threshold was set in the 90s and hasn't changed. No CR since this is on both sides. 

While I would love to see zero capital gains tax on primary homes, I can live with capital gains tax. 250K or 500K is just too low today.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Estimated Q1 what?  What are you saying here- I'm apparently super dense today...

Treasury quarterly refunding announcement 

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy2054

• During the January – March 2024 quarter, Treasury expects to borrow $760 billion in privately-held net marketable debt, assuming an end-of-March cash balance of $750 billion.[2] The borrowing estimate is $55 billion lower than announced in October 2023, largely due to projections of higher net fiscal flows and a higher beginning of quarter cash balance.[3]

Less borrowing by treasury than previous estimate. Which is good news for stocks and MBS

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 9:22 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

Down .05 already. Feel like this is gonna be a solid week. Wouldn’t mind being below 4.00 by EOM Wednesday 

Another .03 down but .05 since yesterday to 4.05. Tomorrow is the big day with Powell talking 

Mbs market up 35 points right now. Lousy ADP jobs report (not the usual market mover but whatever) but Fed talking today. It could get even better or it could disappear this afternoon. 
Also- have a refi inducement with my biggest lender1 100 basis point improvement on anyone doing a rate term. 

If you bought in the last 18 months call me- or check out the website at www.mortgagesbygabe.com. Or PM. Or call me at 832-557-1095. 

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also- have a refi inducement with my biggest lender1 100 basis point improvement on anyone doing a rate term. 

Yep had a feeling UWM was coming out with this. No waiting if you weren’t with UWM. One year if you were for those wondering. 

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Weird

Rate cut was pushed back to May in past week, but looked this morning, and it's back to March today. Everyone is still placing their bets

image.png.2e76c9576a46b9fdfd4e1888ab4ece42.png

That sort of scares me. I don’t think we are getting one in March and I think there’s going to be a temper tantrum over that. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Just had a huge loan bail thanks to today’s good news. Fuck my life 

I always root for the market not to improve until after the closings are in. Doesn't stay that way often.  Sucks to hear man- sorry about that.  Anyone you can return the favor to and hit up someone that might have gone with someone else?

• Haha 1

Welp- 

Looks like the market didn't like what ole Bernake had to say?  From 33 up before he started talking to up 14.  Still- that's in the green every day this week so far. We aren't running away and hiding, we are still 6/10ths below this time last year, but it certainly has been worse and not all that long ago. 

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Welp- 

Looks like the market didn't like what ole Bernake had to say?  From 33 up before he started talking to up 14.  Still- that's in the green every day this week so far. We aren't running away and hiding, we are still 6/10ths below this time last year, but it certainly has been worse and not all that long ago. 

Freudian slip or joke I don't get?

Habib says lock in front of the jobs report. He says the job market is soft and that’s why everyone is expecting a low and shitty number, but they are going to fuck with the number and make shit up because January is rife for fuckery. He used more technical language but that’s what he said basically- they are expecting a big number above expectations and it to be nonsense basically. 
all other signs point toward an improving MBS Market. 
Also will be interesting to see if we get downward revision to the numbers for like the 14th out of last 15th, or if we get a double shot of bigger number than expected plus positive revisions. 
keep in mind the ADP report came in very soft, challenger job report is way up (like 100k layoffs when they expected 40k) so anything calling for a jobs number to be big tomorrow is superstition or believe the numbers (especially as they pertain to January) can’t be trusted. 
yes- it’s the $9.95 of the financial world. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

353k jons added. Completely and totally at odds (like different planet) from ADP and challenger. Habib had that one right. Expectations were 150. 
revisions were higher to previous months report. 2X now in 14 months. New trend? Or once a 7 month anamoly like Hailey’s comment (last one revised higher was last summer- so at midpoint of this stretch). 

• Hook 'Em 1